Hot Video: The 'Lost' Locke & Key Pilot Trailer

Fans of the Locke & Key graphic novel series (by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez) who didn’t make it to Comic-Con this summer — where the pilot, passed on by Fox, was screened — now can at least get a look at the trailer that was prepared for advertisers.

Shared by Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), who penned the TV adaptation, the promo gives a good feel for how the pilot played out, as directed by music-video vet Mark Romanek.

FX’s American Horror Story Is Coming: Check Out the Freaky Poster, Watch the Creepy Promo

Most simply said, Locke & Key concerns a family that, in the wake of the patriarch’s (Lost‘s Mark Pellegrino) murder, moves from California to Massachusetts. There, the mother (Miranda Otto) and her three kids (played by All My Children‘s Jesse McCartney and his hoodie, The Tudors‘ Sarah Bolger and Skylar Gaertner) move into an estate called Key House, so as to be close to the deceased’s brother (Nick Stahl).

Then things get very eerie, as a set of unusual keys prove to unlock all sorts of unsettling discoveries within and round the manor, including a well where a mysterious girl is trapped.

Watch the trailer here, then tell us if you think Fox made the right call in not ordering Locke & Key to series.

f=”http://vimeo.com/ryancannan”>some guy on Vimeo.

1. scooterbeanbag says:

As soon as I saw the well, I immediately thought of The Ring. Probably not the first thing they’d want a viewer to think of when trying to pitch a new series.

2. Martin says:

Put it on FX, keep it in the FOX family, it can be paired with the second season of American Horror Story, i know pre-emtive, but still a good idea.

There has to be a reason FOX allowed it to air at Comic-Con.

3. Elizabeth says:

I honestly think FOX flips a coin when they determine what they’ll put on a schedule, what they’ll promote, or what they’ll produce. This would’ve been cool to pair up with Fringe – I would’ve given it a shot.

4. Mr L. says:

Interesting. I can see why it wasn’t picked up. Some aspects like the setting and the casting of the spooky well-girl looked well done, but some of the casting and acting seemed very off. Such as Otto, who was doing her best to imitate Laura Linney. Also it just seems too convoluted.

5. Kerry says:

what where they thinking? I totally would have watched this. But to be honest it feels more like a cable show then fox. FX could have rocked the heck out of it.

• Jacob says:

I completely agree with this!

• Darrow says:

It would have fit well with Fringe on Friday’s.

• Yep says:

I definitely think that FX would have been a better home for this show. I also think several of the comments that reference curiousity about Fox showing the trailer at ComicCon are on to something. Why pay for a focus group when you have the target at your fingertips and want to share something new with them… Fox knew exactly what type of buzz ComicCon would generate and I would expect this show to appear on a network or in movie form somewhere down the road. They would never let an opportunity for a good story slip through their fingers, plus they have probably paid some upfront money to Joe Hill to keep him on “the hook” until they figure it all out…

6. Gerald says:

When I first heard of this show, it looked like something original, exciting and fun. However, after watching this trailer I’m not so sure… the acting is a bit off and I keep thinking of The Ring.

7. Mandy says:

They should make this into a movie! I love the graphic novels. Very well written!

8. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

I definitely would have given this a shot. I don’t like the casting of Jesse McCartney or the hoodie that he constantly has over his head, it’s weird and looks unnatural. But I wonder why FOX showed this at Comic-Con if they weren’t thinking of potentially doing something with it. I’m intrigued. I wonder where they could have taken this.

9. Jessi says:

I am heartbroken that this won’t make it to the screen. I love Joe Hill and this looks like a wonderful interpretation.

10. Will says:

I was rather impressed by the promo/trailer. I think this would be an excellent show, but as others are suggesting it might have been more appropriate for FX or Fox Family. It just depends on the tone they would like to take. I am enjoying this new trend in shows or series that have more a horror slant to them. MTV is doing a great job making Teen Wolf suspenseful and more in the horror vein. It is helping to distinguish it from the other shows on TV that have supernatural characters. I think this show could have achieved this as well.

11. Jen says:

I totally would’ve watched this based on this promo. Too bad, so sad.

12. Nick says:

Cool premise, nice cinematography, great talent behind the camera and some good talent in front of it too, but boy was that an underwhelming trailer. Played too cheesy and cliché. It’s a pity it wasn’t picked up, but I don’t think this helps things along.

13. jolea says:

I saw the pilot at sdcc, I am still in shock that no one is picking it up… Great concept, good cast, awesome stories.. Come on, FX.. don’t let this one get away!

14. TLG says:

This looks too good to be on Fox. They would’ve probably tossed it on the Friday Night Death Slot and shown the episodes out of order.

15. massiel says:

it looks really good but maybe for cable or HBO. this is a really cool show visually. i would have watched.

16. Nick H. says:

“Well your father’s not available. He’s dead!”

Yikes. I’m also not crazy about the fact that the trailer becomes incredibly cheesy the moment it turns “scary.” Before that the fantastical elements had been building up nicely.

I think passing was a wise move, sounds like a great core story from what I’ve seen, but this adaption just wasn’t going to cut it.

• Danielle H. says:

I pretty much agree with you, but all I kept thinking was that this was MUCH better suited for a movie then a series. This show would have to change it’s story after about 1 season with it just dealing with the keys doing different things. There was no long term potential. I just don’t see a horror show doing well on networks.

17. Travis says:

Is there any chance that Fox will release this online or through iTunes like Warner did with their failed Aquaman pilot several years back? I’d love to watch this pilot.

18. Whimsical says:

This two minutes looks more interesting than all the dozens of hours of promos I have seen for the fall season put together. Fox was foolish not to pick this up (maybe when one of their new series tanks? Terra Nova, I’m looking at you).

Cause I don’t believe for a second that Fox didn’t know this was getting out. There going to do something with this..the only question is what?

Oh, and Danielle- Smalville lasted for 10 years most of which were on a “freak of the week” basis. “Key of the week” would probably work just as well.

19. Lore says:

What!!! how this show wasnt picked? it is awesome!!oh my gosh what they were thinking? damn, we need this show

20. Sheldon W. says:

I would have given this a shot. It looks better than a lot of the new shows we’re getting this fall.

Pity.

21. Eli says:

I want this on my TV!

22. Heidi says:

It gave me goose bumps. I would have tuned in at least to the first few episodes to see how it starts to play out. But I did have a strange feeling I was watching lost scenes from The Ring and The Sixth Sense. On Fox they could have paired it with Fringe. But on FX maybe it would compete too much with American Horror Story. Maybe that’s why they didn’t pick it up? Two haunted house stories too many?