Hot Video: The 'Lost' Locke & Key Pilot Trailer

Get More: Pilots, Video

Fans of the Locke & Key graphic novel series (by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez) who didn’t make it to Comic-Con this summer — where the pilot, passed on by Fox, was screened — now can at least get a look at the trailer that was prepared for advertisers.

Shared by Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), who penned the TV adaptation, the promo gives a good feel for how the pilot played out, as directed by music-video vet Mark Romanek.

FX’s American Horror Story Is Coming: Check Out the Freaky Poster, Watch the Creepy Promo

Most simply said, Locke & Key concerns a family that, in the wake of the patriarch’s (Lost‘s Mark Pellegrino) murder, moves from California to Massachusetts. There, the mother (Miranda Otto) and her three kids (played by All My Children‘s Jesse McCartney and his hoodie, The Tudors‘ Sarah Bolger and Skylar Gaertner) move into an estate called Key House, so as to be close to the deceased’s brother (Nick Stahl).

Then things get very eerie, as a set of unusual keys prove to unlock all sorts of unsettling discoveries within and round the manor, including a well where a mysterious girl is trapped.

Watch the trailer here, then tell us if you think Fox made the right call in not ordering Locke & Key to series.

f=”http://vimeo.com/ryancannan”>some guy on Vimeo.

Comments (26)

• As soon as I saw the well, I immediately thought of The Ring. Probably not the first thing they’d want a viewer to think of when trying to pitch a new series.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – August 25, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put it on FX, keep it in the FOX family, it can be paired with the second season of American Horror Story, i know pre-emtive, but still a good idea.

There has to be a reason FOX allowed it to air at Comic-Con.

Comment by Martin – August 25, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly think FOX flips a coin when they determine what they’ll put on a schedule, what they’ll promote, or what they’ll produce. This would’ve been cool to pair up with Fringe – I would’ve given it a shot.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 25, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. I can see why it wasn’t picked up. Some aspects like the setting and the casting of the spooky well-girl looked well done, but some of the casting and acting seemed very off. Such as Otto, who was doing her best to imitate Laura Linney. Also it just seems too convoluted.

Comment by Mr L. – August 25, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what where they thinking? I totally would have watched this. But to be honest it feels more like a cable show then fox. FX could have rocked the heck out of it.

Comment by Kerry – August 25, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with this!

Comment by Jacob – August 25, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would have fit well with Fringe on Friday’s.

Comment by Darrow – August 25, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely think that FX would have been a better home for this show. I also think several of the comments that reference curiousity about Fox showing the trailer at ComicCon are on to something. Why pay for a focus group when you have the target at your fingertips and want to share something new with them… Fox knew exactly what type of buzz ComicCon would generate and I would expect this show to appear on a network or in movie form somewhere down the road. They would never let an opportunity for a good story slip through their fingers, plus they have probably paid some upfront money to Joe Hill to keep him on “the hook” until they figure it all out…

Comment by Yep – August 25, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I first heard of this show, it looked like something original, exciting and fun. However, after watching this trailer I’m not so sure… the acting is a bit off and I keep thinking of The Ring.

Comment by Gerald – August 25, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should make this into a movie! I love the graphic novels. Very well written!

Comment by Mandy – August 25, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely would have given this a shot. I don’t like the casting of Jesse McCartney or the hoodie that he constantly has over his head, it’s weird and looks unnatural. But I wonder why FOX showed this at Comic-Con if they weren’t thinking of potentially doing something with it. I’m intrigued. I wonder where they could have taken this.

Comment by Jorge Jose Herrera – August 25, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am heartbroken that this won’t make it to the screen. I love Joe Hill and this looks like a wonderful interpretation.

Comment by Jessi – August 25, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was rather impressed by the promo/trailer. I think this would be an excellent show, but as others are suggesting it might have been more appropriate for FX or Fox Family. It just depends on the tone they would like to take. I am enjoying this new trend in shows or series that have more a horror slant to them. MTV is doing a great job making Teen Wolf suspenseful and more in the horror vein. It is helping to distinguish it from the other shows on TV that have supernatural characters. I think this show could have achieved this as well.

Comment by Will – August 25, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally would’ve watched this based on this promo. Too bad, so sad.

Comment by Jen – August 25, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool premise, nice cinematography, great talent behind the camera and some good talent in front of it too, but boy was that an underwhelming trailer. Played too cheesy and cliché. It’s a pity it wasn’t picked up, but I don’t think this helps things along.

Comment by Nick – August 25, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the pilot at sdcc, I am still in shock that no one is picking it up… Great concept, good cast, awesome stories.. Come on, FX.. don’t let this one get away!

Comment by jolea – August 25, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks too good to be on Fox. They would’ve probably tossed it on the Friday Night Death Slot and shown the episodes out of order.

Comment by TLG – August 25, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it looks really good but maybe for cable or HBO. this is a really cool show visually. i would have watched.

Comment by massiel – August 25, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Well your father’s not available. He’s dead!”

Yikes. I’m also not crazy about the fact that the trailer becomes incredibly cheesy the moment it turns “scary.” Before that the fantastical elements had been building up nicely.

I think passing was a wise move, sounds like a great core story from what I’ve seen, but this adaption just wasn’t going to cut it.

Comment by Nick H. – August 25, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I pretty much agree with you, but all I kept thinking was that this was MUCH better suited for a movie then a series. This show would have to change it’s story after about 1 season with it just dealing with the keys doing different things. There was no long term potential. I just don’t see a horror show doing well on networks.

Comment by Danielle H. – August 25, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any chance that Fox will release this online or through iTunes like Warner did with their failed Aquaman pilot several years back? I’d love to watch this pilot.

Comment by Travis – August 25, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This two minutes looks more interesting than all the dozens of hours of promos I have seen for the fall season put together. Fox was foolish not to pick this up (maybe when one of their new series tanks? Terra Nova, I’m looking at you).

Cause I don’t believe for a second that Fox didn’t know this was getting out. There going to do something with this..the only question is what?

Oh, and Danielle- Smalville lasted for 10 years most of which were on a “freak of the week” basis. “Key of the week” would probably work just as well.

Comment by Whimsical – August 25, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!!! how this show wasnt picked? it is awesome!!oh my gosh what they were thinking? damn, we need this show

Comment by Lore – August 25, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have given this a shot. It looks better than a lot of the new shows we’re getting this fall.

Pity.

Comment by Sheldon W. – August 25, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want this on my TV!

Comment by Eli – August 26, 2011 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It gave me goose bumps. I would have tuned in at least to the first few episodes to see how it starts to play out. But I did have a strange feeling I was watching lost scenes from The Ring and The Sixth Sense. On Fox they could have paired it with Fringe. But on FX maybe it would compete too much with American Horror Story. Maybe that’s why they didn’t pick it up? Two haunted house stories too many?

Comment by Heidi – August 26, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post