It's Official: Fox's Breaking In Renewed for Season 2!

Leave it to a band of thieves to steal a spot on Fox’s schedule.

Breaking In, the caper comedy that premiered solidly this past spring but failed to score a berth on the network’s 2011-12 lineup announced in May, has officially secured a 13-episode order for a midseason return, to air in 2012.

Breaking In is a creatively vibrant and wildly adventurous comedy,” Fox president Kevin Reilly said in a statement Thursday. “We are looking forward to bringing it back for a second season and continuing our relationship with this incredibly talented cast and these fantastic creators – Adam Goldberg and Seth Gordon. We can’t wait to see where they take these characters next year.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Odette Annable’s House Role

As part of the deal — which would actually pluck the Christian Slater-fronted series from the ashes a second time — Fox will also make a commitment to a comedy pitch by Breaking In co-creator Adam F. Goldberg, for a series described as an autobiographical take on growing up in the 1980s.

And what of Breaking beauty Odette Annable, who is joining House this season as a series regular? Per the terms of her deal to scrub in at the network’s medical drama, Annable can also appear on Breaking In. As such, the entire cast is expected to return.

Comments (65)

• yes yes yes!!!!!!! this made my day :D I kept hearing there was a chance it’ll come out but to say I was skeptical would be an understatement.
    thank you fox!

Comment by t.t – August 24, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I never in a million years expected this would happen, but I could not be happier that it did.

Comment by wordsmith – August 25, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very cool. Show had potential, they gotta do better but there’s an audience a la Chuck/Big Bang Theory

Comment by bmo – August 24, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Basically, Fox already knows that “I Hate My Teenage Daughter” is gonna tank.

Comment by John – August 24, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, I know. That show looks awful.

Comment by AJ – August 24, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. IHMTD is going down hard.

Comment by Jason – August 24, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just the title of the show makes me hate it; seeing a preview didn’t improve my impression at all. If it lasts more than an episode or two, I’ll be greatly surprised.

Comment by MelindaB – August 24, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!! I loved this show :)

Comment by Jamie – August 24, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loooooooove this show!!

Comment by Celia – August 24, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I loved this show. I hope more people tune in this time.

Comment by sael34 – August 24, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is great news. I really enjoyed the initial episodes. Can’t remember how it scored but it’s funny and light hearted. Just what the Doctor ordered and as for Odette Annable…schwing!

Comment by BobGenghisKhan – August 24, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Schwing is right. Seeing her in two shows a week is not a problem. Good thing she is working two jobs now to pay the bills since Brothers and Sisters got cancelled and David is no longer on tv. He is a good actor. I hope to see him in something, soon.

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 24, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pointless. It may be an unpopular opinion in this post, but I could not last through an entire episode. The writing was completely forced and lacked any worthwhile entertainment value.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – August 24, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, not a good idea by fox…. the show averaged about 7million with American idol as a lead in (which is really bad). Fox also aired an episode on its own without Idol and that episode averaged out about 3 million. again, not a good decision by fox…..

Comment by eddie – August 24, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That solo episode was a last minute decision (I’m talking a couple of days notice), on a different night, and was not advertised. Even people looking to watch didn’t know it was on. Not really fair to judge ratings potential based on that.

Comment by Nichole – August 24, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. If I had not had the show on my series DVR record, I’d have missed it, and my wife and I were huge fans.

Comment by XK – August 24, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you TV gods!

Comment by D. Marie – August 24, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! One of my favorite new shows from last year. :-)

Comment by Xk – August 24, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sa-weet!

Comment by Brian – August 24, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely love this show! I really hope more people watch it this time around!

Comment by Randi – August 24, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny show.
    It should get a full season pickup but 13 episodes is better than being canceled.

Comment by Laurel – August 24, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Can’t Wait For More DUTCH!

Comment by Brendan – August 24, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Michael Rosenbaum is fantastic as Dutch.

Comment by Andrew – August 24, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!!

Comment by Jen – August 24, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool.

Comment by João Amaral – August 24, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox is gonna butcher the show just like they did to The Loop when they brought it back for a 2nd season

Comment by ggny – August 24, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the spirit *RME*

Comment by lauren – August 24, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED this show. Please bring it back. It was great!

Comment by Adrienne – August 24, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY DAY!!!!! Miracles do happen in television! This show actually made me laugh out loud. That Goonies episode was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV in a long time.

Comment by Deena – August 24, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Thought this show was really funny and loved all the characters.

Comment by Spikesgrl – August 24, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is unbelievable! I loved Breaking In!

Comment by Dan – August 24, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX should being back Firefly, Dollhouse, or Terminator instead.

Comment by mrswinchester24 – August 24, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FOX seems to have a penchant for resurrecting shows they shouldn’t have canceled in the first place. Not that it’s possible, but you bring back Firefly and run it with Fringe and even on a Friday night it would be killer (beats Kitchen Nightmares!).

Comment by Bob – August 24, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, now that the “Bring back Firefly” comment that is so ubiquitous on any post about cancellation/renewal has had its quota filled for this article, can we move on to relevant discussion? It’s been 9 years people. Come on…
      (I feel like this comment will not go down well, sorry browncoats)

Comment by Sage – August 25, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Firefly will only come back to us in movie form, but that is probably best at this point in time. But at least it looks like Fox might be learning from past mistakes.

Comment by Sara – August 25, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. NEWS. EVER. !

Seriously, the show deserves another chance. Every single person I showed this to fell in love with it. And nobody I showed this to even knew it existed before Fox cancelled it.

Comment by nicky – August 24, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! I am so glad to see this show coming back! It’s hilarious!!!! Nice to see FOX showing some sense and some taste for a change!

Comment by Kat – August 24, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow….that was totally unexpected and fantastic!! I thought the show was great.

Comment by jay – August 24, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Loved this show when it was on. Just lose the guy from the now canceled show The Reaper and that will make it a perfect.

Comment by Tna – August 24, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yes~! Please let this be true. I love Breaking In. I haven’t deleted it from my DVR because I was crossing my fingers that Fox would bring it back. Holy I am a happy camper over this news!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Amanda – August 24, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they cancelled this show in the first place. It was so enjoyable and I thought it was doing well in the ratings.

Comment by Carrie – August 24, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!! This is such great news!!!! I was so bummed when they cancelled it!

Comment by Jenny – August 24, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great. I loved this show. Both Michael Rosenbaum and Christian Slater looked like they were having a blast.

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 24, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boom goes the dynamite!

Comment by Caroline – August 24, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have been toyed with enough. I will believe this when they make the OFFICIAL announcement, and THEN I will celebrate.

Comment by Erin – August 24, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME! I love that show!

Comment by Nikki – August 24, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever , thank you!

Comment by Andrew – August 24, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and BOOM goes the dynamite. I’ll allow it.

Comment by Vanish – August 24, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More air time for House!!! YIPPEE!!

Comment by Grace – August 24, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The non renewal was injustified since the ratings were pretty solid, so this a great news, the shows was pretty good and i hope it returns with more solid fun to enjoy on screen.

And yes please keep the lovely lady on the show as well… what is she doin on House by the way? Romantic Liaison for Foreman?

Comment by melanie – August 25, 2011 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A sensible decision, IMHO.
    It’s nice to wake up and read this. It made my day.

Comment by Celso Távora – August 25, 2011 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad! It certainly wasn’t the best, but I enjoyed the show, so I’m happy to see it come back.

Comment by Kay – August 25, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!!

Comment by Carrie – August 25, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant news! Loved the first season, can’t wait to see how it grows. :D

Comment by localboy – August 25, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll allow it!

Comment by topoopon – August 25, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! This made my day! :)

Comment by Nikki – August 25, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doing the “Happy Dance” First I love Christain Slater and think the show is hilarious. Michael Rosenbaum is too funny and very excited to have the show back!!! YEAH!!!

Comment by AIleen – August 25, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of Slater’s tv series have been fantastic. I have watched every episode of every series. I was heartbroken at the cancellation of My Own Worst Enemy, but understood the worst enemy of the series was its title. Capturing the American mind is an art, and that title got it lost. The Forgotten was brilliant, however, the suits called that cancellation right, since the Slater character’s abducted child had been found. Sometimes, knowing when to wrap is the art. Thank you Fox for giving us Breaking In with Slater’s comic genius. Yae! Go Season Two, Go!

Comment by prish – August 25, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After so much bad news it’s nice to hear a charming little show like Breaking In getting renewed. Watched it a few times and was pleasantly surprised. Breaking In and Raising Hope have both been terrific additions, I hope more people will discover these shows now.

Comment by Plum – August 25, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dutchdown!!!!!! /

Comment by Melanie – August 25, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!? Did the network suddenly get SMART!? So glad this show is coming back. It is soooooo funny! DUTCH DOWN!!

Comment by Sara – August 25, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg, thank you, Fox! This totally made my friday a lot better!

Comment by ally – August 25, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Score one for Christian Slater fans everywhere!!!

Comment by Joann – August 26, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post