Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Supporting Actress in a Drama? Vote Now!

A pair of Emmy newcomers will face off against three prior winners and returning nominee in the 2011 race for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. Versatile character actresses Michelle Forbes (The Killing) and Margo Martindale (Justified) enter the primetime Emmy fray for the very first time, while Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks (nominated for the second straight year) aims to get her first win by the end of the 2011 ceremony. Those women will be up against a trio of actresses looking to score bookends to their initial Emmys: Last year’s champ Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife), as well as her costar Christine Baranski (a winner in 1995 for Cybill) and Boardwalk Empire‘s Kelly Macdonald (honored in 2006 for The Girl in the Café).

Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick for when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Dan says:

They’re all fantastic actors– but I’m voting for Margo. Her
    acting performance was above and beyond. Plus, I think she’s due!

2. Mary says:

Margo Martindale is my pick! She is ruthless! Love Justified and can’t wait til the new season begins!

3. Mandy says:

Christina Hendricks was amazing this season on Mad Men, but Archie Punjabi blew everyone out of the water this year

4. NCSouthernBelle says:

Wow, I can’t believe Margo Martindale is doing so well in the polls! Glad to see the masses of Justified fans turning out!

5. debbie murphy says:

Don’t care

6. debbie murphy says:

I don’t care I only watch justified.

7. laura says:

Who are these women? I watch tv every night and they all look like unknowns to me

• Stephen S. says:

Watch Justified and The Good Wife. They are both incredible shows! Both Margo Martindale and Archie Panjabi are brilliant!

8. Christine says:

The only show I actively watch is The Good Wife so my vote has to go to Archie (out of love for her character and how well she plays that role). There’s been talk about how Archie’s submission “Getting Off” is just about her breaking down in tears (ie not deserving enough), but for me its all in the little details – a look, a weight shift, a stagger, etc. – and the evolution of her character in that single episode. I have no doubt if given a scene that required an emotional speech or more expressive action Archie could pull it off, but that isn’t in her character’s nature. I think to explore the same emotional complexities (as some of these other ladies) with very few words can be a lot harder to sell and she totally does it.

All of these ladies are fantastic though and I expect that Margo will take it. I watched a clip and she’s equally deserving.

PS – Who remembers Christina Hendricks from firefly?! So excited to see her nominated!

9. Sal says:

I wish I could get into The Good Wife. I had a really horrible prof last year, and whenever I see Christine Baranski, she looks like her, and I freak out. Maybe next year.

10. Mary Halperin says:

How could you pick just one. Margo Martindale gave one of the most chilling villain performance in Justified. Archie Panjabi is equally as good in a complex role. But she’s already got any emmy, so let’s give it to Margo!

11. Peggy Thacker says:

On a scale of 1 to 10…Margo Martindale blew that scale all to heck…with a +100!! Her acting is superb, and playing the part of Mags Bennett, she was wayyyy over the top. Sorry they did away with her by use of her own “Apple Pie”! Gonna miss seeing her on Justified.
    She was a rough old cob and almost gave you goosebumps to wonder what
    she was going to do next. If she doesn’t win, I’m gonna send “Raylan” to see just why the heck she didn’t! :) By the way, I sure wish it wasn’t so long for the next season of Justified. I am having withdrawals here people!

12. Stephen S. says:

Margo Martindale for sure deserves to win! What an amazing performance!

I would be fine with Archie Panjabi winning too though. She’s nearly as great.

13. Aminah Carroll says:

This is spot on, terrific cadre of nominees–all superb actresses. Each desrves recognition for her outstanding work, and it is simply pout, an honor and a joy to watch each and everyone and invite them (on TV) into my home.
    However hands down, it is the sterling performance and poignant , humanized portrayal of Mags , a complex and compelling character who is utterly believable, by Margo Martindale, that gets my numero uno vote!
    WOW!