Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Supporting Actress in a Drama? Vote Now!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

A pair of Emmy newcomers will face off against three prior winners and returning nominee in the 2011 race for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. Versatile character actresses Michelle Forbes (The Killing) and Margo Martindale (Justified) enter the primetime Emmy fray for the very first time, while Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks (nominated for the second straight year) aims to get her first win by the end of the 2011 ceremony. Those women will be up against a trio of actresses looking to score bookends to their initial Emmys: Last year’s champ Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife), as well as her costar Christine Baranski (a winner in 1995 for Cybill) and Boardwalk Empire‘s Kelly Macdonald (honored in 2006 for The Girl in the Café).

Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick for when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (79)

• Tough category. Michelle Forbes was the highlight of The Killing, Christina killed it once again on Mad Men, Margo was amazing, so was Kelly and the womeon of The Good Wife were fantastic, as usual.

Comment by Chmarin – August 25, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that there are some good actresses here but it is a no brainer for me. Margo was stunning on Justified. Even my 11 year old son was astonished at her acting and he doesn’t notice that type of thing.

Comment by kyrjar – August 26, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Margo Martindale all the way! I so wish her character wasn’t deceased!

Comment by sash fan – August 26, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • do we really know she is dead? it just showed her drinking what looked like the stuff she made. they could even get her to the hospital in time. i love this show and she is just one of the great players on it.

Comment by CAROL PETITT – August 26, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow, so you just pretty much narrowed that down

Comment by lsutiger – August 26, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a really strong category, the emmy could go to any of them and be well deserved.
    I voted for Margo Martindale who I think was superb on Justified, but really all six of them were fantastic.

Comment by MJ – August 25, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really though. My vote goes to Baranski this year because she knocked it out of the park, but so did Archie, Forbes and Martindale. There are no losers or weak link in this category!

Comment by Liam – August 25, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Th only show I watch on this list is The Killing. :(

Comment by potch – August 25, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? That’s probably the worst on the list, too.

Comment by Sam – August 25, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rent Seasons 1 & 2 of Justified. I do believe you will be hooked. Margo Martindale really was awesome.I’m with some of the others:Maybe she isn’t really dead. That would truly be a treat!

Comment by Lee – August 27, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Panjabi could win again because she was even stronger this season but that’s not going to happen. Since she can’t win, Martindale, Forbes and Baranski in that order.

Comment by Lily – August 25, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People win multiple Emmys on consecutive years so Archie has just as much a chance to win as anyone else (as Candice Bergen who won for playing Murphy Brown in 89,90, 92, 94 & 95.)

But my hopes are for Margo Martindale. She was out and out amazing in Justified this season. She deserves this win in a big way.

Comment by Rowan – August 25, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale all the way. She was absolutely mesmerizing on Justified.

Comment by apolonia – August 25, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree with you Apolonia! Margo Martindale’s character was amazingly deep and complicated, but she flushed it out and was just super!

Comment by Kimberly – August 26, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that KaDee Strickland couldn’t even get a nomination for the rape sl on PP tells you how strong of a category this is.

Comment by George – August 25, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or how much the academy (and people with good taste in general) dislike Private Practice.

Comment by Danny – August 25, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s your opinion. KaDee Strickland was absoutley amazing on PP!! Most critics agree it’s one of the most honest portrayls of rape a tv show has ever had.

Comment by Madison – August 26, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of them! KaDee Strickland was absolutly robbed of both the nomination and the awards. She hands down gave the the most honest and truthful performance of an actor this year. It was the most reliastic portrayal of a character that I have hever seen. The fact that critics and fans alike have said this, is just a disgrace that proves the Emmys are a joke and nothing but a political fanfare!

Comment by Jared – August 25, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen! Agree!

But if I have to choose from this list…Archie Panjabi hands down. She was amazing on TGW. But I doubt she will win again. So much ”strong” competition so I am sure the chick from Justified or Boardwalk Empire will get it just because critics love those 2 shows.

Comment by ingmar – August 25, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am rooting for Mcdonald who was just amazing.

All of them are great though. Truly, all of them are worthy winners. I havent seen Justified myself, but have heard great things about it, and Matindale’s work.

Comment by Alex – August 25, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martindale. It’s not even close.

Comment by Rachel – August 25, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #1 Michelle Forbes !!!
    #2 Archie Panjabi
    #3 Margo Martindale
    #4 Christina Hendricks
    #5 Kelly Macdonald
    #6 Christine Baranksi
    Really suprised to see Martindale winning, I didn’t know that Justified had a lot of viewers.
    Too bad Ally Walker wasn’t nominated for Sons of Anarchy (Regina King too for Southland)…

Comment by Soso – August 25, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, loved ally walker as agent stahl. best supporting actress is always the most interesting category–so many great actresses.

Comment by Tim – August 26, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not surprised at all! Since S.O.A. began it’s been consistently ignored by the award shows, every last one of them!

Comment by Kimberly – August 26, 2011 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad that “The Killing” writers gave Michelle Forbes nothing to do after the first few episodes. In addition, too bad they nominated two actresses from the same boring procedural instead of finding room for a nomination for Emilia Clarke who actually deserved a nomination for “Game of Thrones”. This is the easiest category –Ms. Margo Martindale for the win – no one else should even show up.

Comment by bhm1304 – August 25, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale (Justified), no question about it. She was outstanding.

Comment by Sean – August 25, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!!! I will never see her the same again.

Comment by Pete – August 26, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely should go to Martindale. Mags Bennett was one of the most compelling TV villains I have seen in years.

Comment by MC – August 25, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watch half of these shows but I have to say Michelle Forbes, without her amazing performance The Killing wouldn’t have been as enjoyable to me.

Comment by Amber – August 25, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All were brilliant, and in some cases (Im looking at you Christina and Michelle!) the highlight of their shows. I think this is one of the toughest categories. My vote goes to Michelle Forbes honest and heartbreaking portrayl of Mitch Larsen, but a very hard call.

Comment by Emma – August 25, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale fully deserves to win this and I really hope she walks away with it. This is the one category where for me there is no other more deserving winner. It’s a VERY strong category this year but she towers above all of them.

Comment by fancypants Mcgill – August 25, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 words: Archie Panjabi. Nuff said.

Comment by Polly – August 25, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Forbes should have won (hell, even been nominated) for True Blood last year. But since her show was the weakest of the titles available, and since they gave her so much yet so little to work with, I’m going Kelly MacDonald. BE had a “B” first season, but her performance alone elevated it to a “B+.”

Comment by Sam – August 25, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale, absolutely.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 25, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of good choices, but Margo Martindale is my pick.

Comment by Tee – August 25, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale. She was brilliant.

Comment by Tracy – August 25, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite are Michelle Forbes and Christina Hendrix

Comment by Teresa – August 25, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Kelly Macdonald or Christina Hendricks win, but I think Margo Martindale is unbeatable.

Comment by Morgan – August 25, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Forbes was phenomenal in The Killing. I was impressed every single episode. I really hope she takes it.

Comment by Jessie – August 25, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale all the way!!

Comment by Lily – August 25, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Archie again. Except for Michelle Forbes, who was also outstanding on this dark-great/albeit controversial show, The Killing, or Christine Baranski, who was good but not as great as Archie on TGW, can’t say much for the rest of those ladies since I dont watch their shows. Yay Archie!! :)

Comment by tahina – August 25, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love all these shows and I love all these actresses and their characters but I gotta hand it to Margo Martindale. I’ve seen her in lots of shows before but in Justified, she just steals the show…

Comment by jasper – August 25, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale is streets ahead of everyone else here. Nobody was as good as her.

Comment by anna – August 25, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MARGO! MARGO! MARGO!

Comment by Sheldon W. – August 25, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you watched all of these shows, the answer is very simple…Margo

Comment by jason – August 25, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Archie but her chance is slim. Supporting Actress winner RARELY repeats (unlike you are Allison Janney, who won FOUR times or a veteran like Blythe Danner)

Comment by Ethan – August 25, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only one that deserves it and that is Margo Martindale. The rest of them has done nothing special

Comment by Darth Dingdong – August 26, 2011 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Archie Panjabi is overrated! Margo Martindale deserves to win the Emmy!

Comment by SL – August 26, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a tough category with all very deserving actresses who put on amazing performances. But Margo definitely put on the best performance with Archie just behind her. So, I am hoping one of these two ladies win.

Comment by kierahiilmin – August 26, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale for sure. She was amazing. I watch the Good Wife as well and while I love Panjabi as well, there’s no way I’d put her over Martindale. Loved her as Mags.

Comment by E – August 26, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martindale. I figured she had a nomination locked up by the end of the first episode.
    But that scene at the end of the run, when she pleads to see Loretta than just turns and says “Let’s Go” when she is denied neatly summed up her character.

“WHOOP-DE-DOO!”

Comment by DanOregon – August 26, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale. She made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Comment by Denise – August 26, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where’s SOA? nothing for Katey Sagal, Maggie Siff or Ally Walker? Really?

Comment by dawn – August 26, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Margo Martindale was terrific as an arch villain.She was incredibly natural and you just wanted Raylin to put a stop to her and her mean spirited sons!

Comment by Richard Omiecinski – August 26, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t know Justified had a lot of viewers???? Are you kidding????
    It is the all time best show that has EVER been on TV.
    It should win every award!

Comment by B J Lilac – August 26, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with BJ Lilac. We are a senior couple who discovered this show this year, became obsessed with it, ordered the first season, have the second season on hold waiting for it’s release. Whenever we become bored with “what’s on”, we pull out the DVD and watch an episode again. Never gets old.

Comment by M K Mayfield – August 26, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale completely. If she doesnt win Ill never watch the emnys again.

Comment by Ryan – August 26, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mags for sure! Although the two from good wife are also very talented and entertaining. But mags went off the grid.

Comment by Marilyn – August 26, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale was just amazing in Justified, also the best show out there. Emmy Rossum as Fiona Gallagher should have been nominated also…another great show and character.

Comment by Joy – August 26, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Margo Martindale is an excellent actress. I loved watching Justified before she joined the cast but after she joined it was a pure delight. I looked forward to each week and was very sad when the season ended. Looking forward to next year.

Comment by Debbie Turman – August 26, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mags could charm your socks off and in the next second chill you to your bones. She made the role the strongest female character on tv. Heck, just about the strongest character period. You didn’t know whether to fear her, hate her or respect her.

Comment by Madison – August 26, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Margo Martindale doesn’t get the Emmy, I’m gonna go all Mags Bennett on my TV.

Comment by Marion – August 26, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martindale owned her character all the way.

Comment by Donna – August 26, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving the TVLine audience right now. You guys totally rock. I didn’t know Justified had this many fans, I am so glad to see it does, and I agree that Margo Martindale really deserves this, not just out of who was nominated, but out of every supporting actress on TV from last season. I think she has a really good shot of winning too. I was fearful before that enough Emmy voters weren’t watching Justified for her to get the votes, but you guys have shown me that maybe enough are. After all, if enough of the TVLine audience are watching Justified and can vote for Margo to get an emmy, then maybe the actual emmy voters are too!

Comment by Amber – August 26, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margo Martindale gave us one of the most complex characters ever. Her work was pure genius.

Comment by Gina – August 26, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post