Grey's Anatomy Creator Shonda Rhimes Sells Retro Hotel Drama to ABC

Never one to let grass grow under her feet, Shonda Rhimes — who already has two shows on ABC (Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice) and a third (the legal drama Scandal) en route for midseason — has now sold to the network a period drama penned by The Nine co-creator/Gossip Girl scribe K.J. Steinberg.

Grey’s Anatomy Boss’ Season 8 Finale Conundrum: ‘I Don’t Know What I’m Going to Do’

Set in New York City circa 1895, Gilded Lillys will tell the fictional tale of the first true luxury hotel ever built in the city, the family who owns it, the staff employed by it, and the guests who pass through.

Think of it as The Age of Innocence, if Winona Ryder and Daniel Day-Lewis ran the first Ritz-Carlton.

Steinberg will executive-produce with Rhimes and Grey’s vet Betsy Beers, and the project will be based out of ABC Studios/Shondaland.

1. Jamie says:

This sounds fantastic.
    Love Shonda Rhimes.

2. Robert says:

Like the period setting. If Shonda Rhimes is not writing the scripts I might give it a chance.

• Christine says:

My thoughts exactly! The premise of this show sounds interesting, but if it’s just going to be Grey’s or PP set in 1895 I think I’ll pass on it. I stopped watching Grey’s a few years ago and took PP off my DVR for the upcoming season. I’m so sick of Shonda forgetting about character continuity and development in favor or ridiculous plots and storylines.

3. Kelli says:

Good for Shonda! There were articles a few days back about there being less women creating, directing and running shows than in the past couple of years. So, yay for womanhood, yay for Shonda.

4. Ben says:

That sounds brilliant, exactly my type of show. I know it’s still very early days but I hope it gets made, although if it does get picked up I can’t see it doing to well.

5. Mike says:

Concept sounds interesting.

6. Kate says:

Shonda doesn’t need to be starting a new TV show. She has Grey’s,PP and now Scandel. She really needs to focuse on them. People were saying her standerd had fallen in Season 7 of Grey’s when she started Off The Map. Hope she won’t spend as much time on this show as the others.

7. ragincajun says:

In other words, she’s remaking Hotel.

8. Chmarin says:

Ugh, Shonda Rhimes is so 2005.

Someone please, PLEASE, make her stop.

9. Ben says:

She needs to strike a very different tone with this than with Grey’s etc. Hopefully she can do it and show everyone that there is more to Shonda Rhimes than they think. If not…

10. Summer says:

Not a huge fan of Shonda Rhimes, but I do dig this premise.

11. Kyle says:

I love period pieces…this sounds really interesting!

12. MstrColm says:

I would actually love to watch that because I love period drama’s but if its got Shonda Rhimes written on it then there’s absolutely no way I’m going near it. Betsy Beers too – have had quite enough of them thank you very much.

13. Walter says:

I love Shonda Rhimes, but I don’t like this premise. At least she didn’t write it. I’m looking forward to her other show Scandal. Let’s see if she can do something other than medical drama.

14. dee123 says:

‘Think of it as the age of innocence’. PLEASE! Think of it as cutting and pasting Dontown Abby/Upstairs Downstairs for those sad Americans who can’t stand to hear any accent other than their own.

• MstrColm says:

Couldn’t agree more

• Cheeks says:

Why would you say that? We’re in America so of course Americans would be partial to their own accents! That doesn’t make sense. When I watch BBC I don’t expect an American accent to be on the show. I mean there are many reasons people hate and disparage America…the fact that they are partial to their own accents (which are easier to understand for them because they are bloody America!) is not one of them! Utter nonsense!

• Colm says:

I meant about the copying and pasting part. Americans should do period dramas, they have a lot of unique history that would be interesting to explore but in this writers and this networks hands it will only make mud out of it I think.

Period drama’s like MadMen and Downton Abbey are in and Shonda Rhimes / ABC just want capitalize on that for themselves. Greed is all that woman knows.

15. chris says:

they should get the NYC act Gilbert and Manning to be the regular hotel entertainment! They do the music of that time extremely well.

16. angelcake says:

Wasn’t there an old show like this in the early 80s/late 70s? I remember seeing it on FX (I think) once or twice. It was called Hotel and Connie Selleca was in it?

Although that was set in modern times and probably it was made to mimic Love Boat, but on land. So, I guess with this, the only way to claim its an ‘original’ idea is to set it in a different century?

Blah and pass.

Enough rehashes.

17. lynne reed says:

this shows storyline sounds like a show called hotel babylon. if its anything like it i will love it

18. melanie says:

this sounds like an american version of “Hotel Babylon”…

Anyway it seems that she is already preparing herself for the edn of her two succesful programs “GA” and “PP” who both have must 2 more years to go including the season startin this fall

19. Gerald says:

So it’s basically a remake of the Aaron Spelling soap Hotel… how unoriginal

20. Jillian says:

Sounds like it could be an interesting show. Shonda should look into casting some of the actors from the ABC soap ALL MY CHILDREN, which will be off the air in a couple of weeks, like Rebecca Budig. She’s already an ABC favorite and a terrific actress, (very underrated) not to mention beautiful. Hopefully, some great primetime show will snap her up real soon! :)

21. renee says:

wasn’t she blasting the show Bunheads for lack of black actors…. as far as i can tell she doesn’t have any black actors lined up for roles on this show….