Grey's Anatomy Creator Shonda Rhimes Sells Retro Hotel Drama to ABC

Get More: News, Pilots

Never one to let grass grow under her feet, Shonda Rhimes — who already has two shows on ABC (Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice) and a third (the legal drama Scandal) en route for midseason — has now sold to the network a period drama penned by The Nine co-creator/Gossip Girl scribe K.J. Steinberg.

Grey’s Anatomy Boss’ Season 8 Finale Conundrum: ‘I Don’t Know What I’m Going to Do’

Set in New York City circa 1895, Gilded Lillys will tell the fictional tale of the first true luxury hotel ever built in the city, the family who owns it, the staff employed by it, and the guests who pass through.

Think of it as The Age of Innocence, if Winona Ryder and Daniel Day-Lewis ran the first Ritz-Carlton.

Steinberg will executive-produce with Rhimes and Grey’s vet Betsy Beers, and the project will be based out of ABC Studios/Shondaland.

Comments (28)

• This sounds fantastic.
    Love Shonda Rhimes.

Comment by Jamie – August 24, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *YAWN*

Comment by Sammy – August 24, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dangit, you made me yawn too. Oh wait, the article did.

Comment by aldaryn – August 24, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like the period setting. If Shonda Rhimes is not writing the scripts I might give it a chance.

Comment by Robert – August 24, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly! The premise of this show sounds interesting, but if it’s just going to be Grey’s or PP set in 1895 I think I’ll pass on it. I stopped watching Grey’s a few years ago and took PP off my DVR for the upcoming season. I’m so sick of Shonda forgetting about character continuity and development in favor or ridiculous plots and storylines.

Comment by Christine – August 24, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Shonda! There were articles a few days back about there being less women creating, directing and running shows than in the past couple of years. So, yay for womanhood, yay for Shonda.

Comment by Kelli – August 24, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sounds brilliant, exactly my type of show. I know it’s still very early days but I hope it gets made, although if it does get picked up I can’t see it doing to well.

Comment by Ben – August 24, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Concept sounds interesting.

Comment by Mike – August 24, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda doesn’t need to be starting a new TV show. She has Grey’s,PP and now Scandel. She really needs to focuse on them. People were saying her standerd had fallen in Season 7 of Grey’s when she started Off The Map. Hope she won’t spend as much time on this show as the others.

Comment by Kate – August 24, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In other words, she’s remaking Hotel.

Comment by ragincajun – August 24, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, Shonda Rhimes is so 2005.

Someone please, PLEASE, make her stop.

Comment by Chmarin – August 24, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She needs to strike a very different tone with this than with Grey’s etc. Hopefully she can do it and show everyone that there is more to Shonda Rhimes than they think. If not…

Comment by Ben – August 24, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a huge fan of Shonda Rhimes, but I do dig this premise.

Comment by Summer – August 24, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love period pieces…this sounds really interesting!

Comment by Kyle – August 24, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would actually love to watch that because I love period drama’s but if its got Shonda Rhimes written on it then there’s absolutely no way I’m going near it. Betsy Beers too – have had quite enough of them thank you very much.

Comment by MstrColm – August 24, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Shonda Rhimes, but I don’t like this premise. At least she didn’t write it. I’m looking forward to her other show Scandal. Let’s see if she can do something other than medical drama.

Comment by Walter – August 24, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Think of it as the age of innocence’. PLEASE! Think of it as cutting and pasting Dontown Abby/Upstairs Downstairs for those sad Americans who can’t stand to hear any accent other than their own.

Comment by dee123 – August 24, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more

Comment by MstrColm – August 25, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why would you say that? We’re in America so of course Americans would be partial to their own accents! That doesn’t make sense. When I watch BBC I don’t expect an American accent to be on the show. I mean there are many reasons people hate and disparage America…the fact that they are partial to their own accents (which are easier to understand for them because they are bloody America!) is not one of them! Utter nonsense!

Comment by Cheeks – August 25, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant about the copying and pasting part. Americans should do period dramas, they have a lot of unique history that would be interesting to explore but in this writers and this networks hands it will only make mud out of it I think.

Period drama’s like MadMen and Downton Abbey are in and Shonda Rhimes / ABC just want capitalize on that for themselves. Greed is all that woman knows.

Comment by Colm – August 25, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should get the NYC act Gilbert and Manning to be the regular hotel entertainment! They do the music of that time extremely well.

Comment by chris – August 24, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t there an old show like this in the early 80s/late 70s? I remember seeing it on FX (I think) once or twice. It was called Hotel and Connie Selleca was in it?

Although that was set in modern times and probably it was made to mimic Love Boat, but on land. So, I guess with this, the only way to claim its an ‘original’ idea is to set it in a different century?

Blah and pass.

Enough rehashes.

Comment by angelcake – August 24, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this shows storyline sounds like a show called hotel babylon. if its anything like it i will love it

Comment by lynne reed – August 25, 2011 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hotel Babylon was really great british Dramedy, i loved the two leads characters…

Comment by melanie – August 25, 2011 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this sounds like an american version of “Hotel Babylon”…

Anyway it seems that she is already preparing herself for the edn of her two succesful programs “GA” and “PP” who both have must 2 more years to go including the season startin this fall

Comment by melanie – August 25, 2011 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it’s basically a remake of the Aaron Spelling soap Hotel… how unoriginal

Comment by Gerald – August 25, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like it could be an interesting show. Shonda should look into casting some of the actors from the ABC soap ALL MY CHILDREN, which will be off the air in a couple of weeks, like Rebecca Budig. She’s already an ABC favorite and a terrific actress, (very underrated) not to mention beautiful. Hopefully, some great primetime show will snap her up real soon! :)

Comment by Jillian – August 26, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wasn’t she blasting the show Bunheads for lack of black actors…. as far as i can tell she doesn’t have any black actors lined up for roles on this show….

Comment by renee – June 27, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post