Private Practice Scoop: Addison's Got a Dirty Little Secret!

Addison Montgomery’s life won’t get any easier when ABC’s Private Practice bows its new season Thursday, Sept. 29. The knockout doc will juggle no less than her avid want to have a baby, her tenuous relationship with Sam, the shaky fate of Oceanside Wellness and the return of a handsome stranger. Amidst all of that, she’ll labor to keep a lid on a dirty little secret.

Private Practice Drama: Will a ‘Bomb’ Drop on Happy-at-Last Charlotte and Cooper?

Let’s start things off with the aforementioned stranger, played by new series regular Benjamin Bratt. As IVF specialist Dr. Jake Riley, “He kind of shows up in a totally different context,” Kate Walsh tells TVLine. “It’s really a great reveal how’s he brought back into the show. Let’s just say their paths cross again in a significant way and professional way.”

Given that Addison and Jake, in the season finale, locked lips as well as came thisclose to slipping away to Fiji together, is their reunion rife with sexual tension? “Absolutely,” says Walsh. “I think it’s one of those things where you give a little smooch and then you’re like, ‘Oh, my gosh, wait.'”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Private Practice Baby Talk, Naomi’s Return

But wait they must and will, given Addison’s rekindled romance with Sam and the manner in which Jake is reintroduced. “The electricity that exists between these two characters, that draws them together oftentimes in the face of circumstances that won’t allow them to be together, results in friction and sometimes antagonism,” Bratt explains. “So that energy is still there, but it’s manifest in a different way. The relationship is almost antagonistic.”

Perhaps because though circumstances inject Jake back into her world, Addison will elect to keep their brief little somethin’-somethin’ a secret, especially from her steady.

“Sam has no idea about that brief but impactful history,” Bratt previews, “and Jake, I think out of respect to Sam, doesn’t let on.”

Uh-oh, is this another of those ill-advised decisions that will blow up in forever-lovelorn Addison’s face? Says Taye Diggs, “We’ll see if Sam ever finds out, and when he finds out what his reaction is going to be. We’re all just lucky that there was no consummation going on there!”

Plus, Diggs notes, Addison “came back, so that, I think, counts for a lot.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Jamie says:

Thanks for the Addison scoop. I am looking forward to Addison and Jake.

• Chloe says:

I’m really excited to see Addie and Jake’s storyline play out. Kate Walsh and Benjamin Bratt have great chemistry together (as Kate seems to have with everyone – see her numerous leading men) and I really hope Shonda gives this relationship a chance.

I could never buy Addie and Sam as a couple, so I hope that relationship dies a quick death early in the season.

• Catherine says:

I’m looking forward to Addison and Jake too. Their scenes in the finale were a nice surprise. Relaxed, flirty and fun. Exactly what the show needs.

2. Sarah says:

He is a fertility specialist and is going to help Addie have a baby! I hope Addie gets her baby this season.

3. Erika says:

I LOVE Taye Diggs saying Addison “came back, so that, I think, counts for a lot.”

4. Liz says:

Thanks for the scoop.
    Another love triangle? Doesn’t Shonda Rhimes know how to write anything else? I hope Addison stays with Sam.

5. Alana says:

I love that AddiSam are moving Forward with their relationship.

6. Dee says:

Kate Walsh and Benjamin Bratt are hot together! I love them! I was an Addisam shipper til they made Sam the biggest jerk to Addison.

7. Luise says:

That facial hair has go to GO, benjamin

• Jamie says:

Don’t worry, he shaved it.

• Stormy says:

WTH happened to Bratt? He used to be hot.

• Mirabel says:

He is hot. Super smokin hot. Me likey!

• Nicoletta says:

I think he’s even hotter at this age than earlier in his career. He was super attractive a couple of years ago in The Next Best Thing, Miss Congeniality, Thumbsucker and Catwoman, but now he’s a bit more gruff and has a bit more of an edge to him. Check out The Andromeda Strain, La Mission and The Cleaner. It’s amazing how versatile and drop dead sexy he is.

• Angie says:

I didn’t like the beard but some five o’clock shadow would suit him. He looked really yummy at the TCA Press Tour.

8. Kenzie says:

What about Sam’s dirty secret? Did he ever tell Addison about kissing Naomi when Addisam were still together and Addie was mourning her mother? Addison kissed Jake when they were BROKEN up!

I just want Addison to have a baby. Adoption or Pregnancy!

• Nara says:

I can’t believe they chose to ignore Sam’s kiss with Naomi. It’s so typical. If a man does it there are absolutely no consequences. But Addison will probably be burned on a stake for it again. Because she’s the bad cheater and all. I really wish the writers would stop being so blatantly misogynistic.

• Jamie says:

Word. I will be so mad if they make such a big deal out of Addison/Jake’s kiss, when they swept Sam/Naomi’s kiss under the rug. Not only did Sam kiss Naomi, he also flirted with her while his girlfriend (Addie) was crying over her dead mother.

• Cheeks says:

The kiss discussion turned into something way more major and important. They didn’t sweep it under the rug. Naomi basically told her she’s a non-factor and she was right! You can’t date your best friend’s ex-husband and expect her to feel sorry because she kissed him. Not to mention, Sam will always chose her first. It was a dumb situation for Addie to involve herself in and now she can’t be mad at the outcome. You can’t date a drug dealer and be mad that he got arrested. She knew the facts and dynamics of their relationship prior to getting involved with Sam, she watched Sam agonize over Naomi at times. She watched Naomi rebuild her life after losing the love of her life. She claimed “Na” was her best friend forever…having all the facts upfront and making a dumb decision anyway, negates validity to any argument you may pose down the road in my opinion. Sam was a douche to Naomi when he walked out on their marriage for no reason. Why would she expect him to treat her differently? Why she went there with him, I will never understand nor support.

• Nara says:

This is ridiculous. Addison was single. She can kiss whoever she wants to and if Sam tries to give her any crap because of the kiss he’s even more of a jerk than I thought. Addison should just give up on men. Every guy they pair her up with automatically turns into a douche after a while.

9. Gail says:

Sounds interesting. I expect Addison to pick Sam over and over again. LOL

• melanie says:

she came back to sam, to a relationship she knows is not easy at all, the easiest thing was to go to Fidjii and have fun and forget the predicament of the practice, but not, she came back to that guy and they kind of made a pact that is reasonable, she will try and have baby by herself and he will try to love her with her baby… i think by the way it’s best way to go we know Sam, he will slowly but steadily warm up to any kid taht Addison bring into her home…

10. Kristen says:

I’m excited for Round 2 of AddiSam. I actually think they’re great together.

11. Jona says:

The secret its stupid. Addisam better come out stronger as a couple after that silly secret.

12. ccs says:

PP killed this character (Addison) for me. :(

13. Alexa says:

I Love Me some Addison and Sam, they need better writing but they are so hot together. I’m interested in Sam changing his mind about the baby. Season 5 looks interesting they seem to be focusing more on Addison and Sam relationship.

14. Ilaria_26 says:

I really hope to see Jake e Addison together, can’t stand her with Sam! She’s so weak…

15. Laurie says:

I love me some Addison and Kate Walsh. She is the only reason I watch PP. Thanks for the article. I can’t wait to see how Addie’s baby storyline goes this season.

• Michelle says:

It started that way for me…Addison was the whole reason I watched. Then Pete wound up with the annoying b*tch Violet and Addison was incorrectly matched with Sam. Now…it’s all about Charlotte and Cooper. Love them!!!! And if all I watch is them and fast forward through the rest of them, that’s fine with me!

16. AddieSamFan! says:

Addie and Sam Forever!!!!
    They need to have a baby!

17. Media Ho says:

Hmmm….somewhat reminiscent of the way MerDer hooked up that fateful night, then discovered the next day that they were colleagues. Stop stealing from yourself, Shonda! I luv ya, but…

18. Yadira says:

I love Addison and Sam enough said.

19. Elena says:

I’m looking forward to Benjamin Bratt’s fabulous acting and I hope they’ll give him a great story. That’s all I care about. And I hope there will be no ship wars. They’re childish.

• Ron says:

Shonda Rhimes wants fans to have ship wars. She thinks it means they are passionate because they love her writing. You can bet she’ll manipulate them into thinking they have to be “passionate” like that with this new story too. Some of the comments on here must be right up her alley.

• Solis says:

I’m a Ben fan too. I will watch this show for him although it looks like a night time soap opera to me.

• Nicoletta says:

Don’t worry if you don’t like Private Practice. Benjamin will work on other projects while he’s with PP. I’m excited for his return to Modern Family! :)

• sunshine851 says:

They’re not real shipper wars. Private Practice has not enough (rabid shipper) fans to bring on a real shipper war. It’s usually the same people using different names to post the same things on every site with a comment feature. Fairly easy to ignore.

20. Swanson says:

The right man for Addison will always be Derek to me. I don’t care how hard Shonda tries to push them together with other characters like a kid playing with Barbie and Ken dolls; no other relationship on Grey’s Anatomy or Private Practice got even close to what I felt when I watched Derek and Addison together.

• Luisa says:

What you wrote it’s true, but Addison and Derek are always a taboo for Shonda and Co, really don’t understand why, their scenes together are the best and Dempsey and Walsh play so natural together… Btw I will give a chance to this new couple Jake and Addison, after all it seems better than Addison with her bestfriend’s ex-husband

• Cindy says:

Not for me, Derek is better away form her..

• Angie says:

Shonda is not flexible when it come to her love stories. Once she’s got her mind set on something there’s no turning back and she is forcing it down our throats no matter what. It’s obvious they cut a lot of Derek and Addison scenes during season two. Most likely because the writers feared they would pose a real threat to the story Shonda wanted people to ship – Derek with Meredith. A good writer would have tried her best to do both stories justice.

• Amanda says:

Krista Vernoff is working for PPP now and she wrote some amazing Addek episodes and part of the crossover with the wedding song. Maybe – if we’re lucky – Derek will come to LA for an episode or two coz Amelia’s in real trouble and then we’ll get one last little special Addek treat. :)

• StillAFan says:

Addison Montgomery, he met her in the summer she… One of the best scenes ever! They should totally make a spin off with Addison, Derek, Mark, Naomi, etc in New York when they were younger.

• Liz says:

Pfft, NO WAY! Derek is Meredith’s soulmate, always has been, always will be. Heck, for the sex to be good, he had to picture Meredith!
      I liked the scenes with Addison mind you, but only because it had a “best friend” quality to it.

• Angie says:

Actually, according to Meredith her soulmate is Cristina Yang. ;)
        Seriously though. I wish we could let everyone ship their favourite couples in peace.

• Ilaria_26 says:

Word! I want to ship the couple I like without starting a war with no one… Let me say this Addison and Derek were perfect for each other, they had chemistry and they were good in angsty like in funny scenes, never seen this confidence with any of the couples in both shows!

• Lz says:

PD never likes KW

• Ann75 says:

@ Lz: That is simply not true. It’s a real shame and a disgrace to other Dempsey fans that people like you still spread this crap. I’m a Patrick fan and I’m embarrassed by it. Get over yourself.

21. shuayb says:

No offense Vlada and Matt I love the work U guys do, its awesome! But when U say scoop and Dirty Little Secret… I began thinking of something way more interesting than something we already knew happened and we know thayt it’ll impact addisam in some way cum season 5. I love your work. Don’t get me wrong but don’t get us too excited.

22. Hannah says:

I am so tired of Shonda always putting the blame on Addison. Sam treated her like crap ever since she told him she wants a baby and left it to everyone else at the practice to take care of her when she was mourning Bizzy. He even lied to her face about his kiss with Naomi and now she is the one who has a dirty secret? You have got to be kidding me. Newsflash: Sam and she were done when she met Jake. Addison was free to do whatever she wanted to with whomever she fancied. Jake made her feel good about herself again, he made her smile and laugh more than we’ve seen all season and she has no reason whatsoever to feel bad about what happened between them.

ShondLand shows used to be some of the best on tv. But ever since the writers were served the kool aid that took their image of women straight back to the Stone Age they are a slap in the face for their female viewers. I know I won’t be watching any of them much longer if they keep it up.

• sunshine851 says:

Preach it! Pretty sure Private Practice will not make it past s5 though.

• rumblinbeat says:

News hit the net today ABC bought yet another one hour drama from Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers.

I say PP is toast and they know it. And if Scandal and Gilded Lillys are both successful GA will be next.

• Angie says:

It’s sad indeed. Shonda created strong female rolemodels and now she’s knocking them down one after another.

23. GiveAddieaBaby says:

Just GIVE ADDIE A BABY!

24. humberto says:

Go AddiSam! waiting for a good storyline for them. Also the secret part makes no sense to me and actually I dont care at all. He should help AddiSam get a baby and move on to something else.

25. Liz says:

For me, the character of Addison is pretty horrible… She is a wh*re, basically. Always sleeping with married men, ALWAYS cheating…
    The only reason that character is likeable is because the very friendly Kate Walsh is playing her, but that’s all.

• Leena says:

What are you even talking about? Have you watched the show, like, at all? Because you sure don’t seem to know a lot about the character.

• Moca says:

I watched the show and I agree with Liz.
        Addison is a horrible person. Cheated on her husband with his best friend, had an affair with a married man, who was actually a husband of her own patient with very risky pregnancy, slept with an ex-husband of her best friend, risking the firendship.
        Add to this that she is a selfish, arrogant, self-righteous person.

The only good and interesting things about Addison are her shoes LOL

• Angie says:

She did not have an affair with Noah. And he pulled a Derek and did not tell her he was married and had a pregnant wife all the time he flirted with her when they met at the hospital. But I guess it’s easier to blame Addison again.

• Anjelica says:

And HE came after HER and pursued her and kissed her and wanted to cheat on his pregnant wife after Addison said no and didn’t want to take it further with him. Same with Sam. He pursued her when she was in a relationship with Pete and was raising Lucas with him and he had no respect for her and Naomi when she said no to him and treated her like she was his property. How come no bad word is ever said about the men and it’s only the woman that gets all the blame?

• Marie says:

Addison has slept with –

– Derek (her then husband)
          – Mark (her one-time friend and affair)
          – Alex (when she was single)
          – Kevin the Cop (when she was single)
          – Pete (when she was single)
          – Sam (when she was single and Sam was single too!)

Compared to the sexual count on Shonda’s shows I’d say that was about average!

And we know she married Derek very young, so maybe 6 men in 25-odd years!! I don’t call that sluttish. She made a mistake once when she cheated on Derek, but even he said to her that he contributed to the breakdown of their marriage, it wasn’t solely because she cheated.

• TeamAddison says:

Addison is the BEST!

26. O says:

I HATE Sam and Addison as a couple, so I hope Jake will stir things up!

27. Michelle says:

I am so against the Sam/Addison thing. I really hoped they would have let it end. They are not soul mates, they are not meant to be, stop forcing them down our throats. The only reason Addison was even attracted to Sam was because he was her BFF’s ex-husband. She’s a ‘want what you can’t have’ kind of girl. Just bring Karev on from GA and let these two start getting it on again.

28. Courtney says:

I love Addison and Sam together, but I am not against Addison and Jake. Let Addie finally be happy. I want to see her with a baby! I love Kate Walsh.

29. Ashleigh says:

I love the character of Sam, I loveD the character of Addie (had a point of really disliking her, but now I am liking her more, instead of just tolerating her, as I did for about a season and a half.). But I do not like these two as a couple. I think Sam is way too good for Addie. Addie doesn’t deserve him. Not that Addie doesn’t deserve to be happy, but I don’t think she deserves Sam.

• Kara says:

LOL! Addison is too good for Sam! Sam is a a**hole! He has no purpose on the show without Addison and now that Naomi/Maya are gone.

30. Kara says:

Addison and Jake FTW. Sam is such a boring dull character and a a**hole. Kate and Benjamin have amazing chemistry together.

31. Dee says:

I was extremely excited about the ‘dirty little secret’ headline, but my disappointment came when I realized that it’s only a ‘dirty little secret’ that SAM doesn’t know about. Honestly, I feel like the article wasn’t necessary because there was no real secret. What happened between Addison and Jake while she and Sam were apart is none of Sam’s business, should Addison decide to tell Sam, then it becomes his business. I personally, do not like the paring of Benjamin Bratt/Kate Walsh-Im sorry I just didn’t seem believable to me in the finale, and that kiss?? yuck! don’t get me started on how FAKE and FORCED that kissed looked… Most people on this forum are ‘anti addisam’ fans, but you CANNOT deny the on-screen chemistry of Kate Walsh/Taye Diggs, it’s probably the best on screen chemistry Kate’s had since playing opposite Eric Dane (I mean how HOT/SEXY were Addison/Mark as a couple?? Very!!!)the closest it’s gotten since then would be her on screen paring with Tim Daly. Most people talk about how much they HATE Addison, but to me she’s more like that person you ‘love to hate’…I mean when she came onto Grey’s she was like the bitch that flew in from New York to kill the MerDer fling, but once you got to see her in action, you just couldn’t help but to love her, I mean she’s a badass cocky surgeon for one who’s probably one of the most transparent characters to ever come out of the Grey’s/Private Practice franchise if you ask me. I mean honestly, Addison is the most flawed, messed up character on the show but, you constantly see her struggles to redeem herself each and every time. I mean Addison’s character must be doing something right seeing that she’s the only character to have her own spin off show…and can we PLEASE kill the whole ‘she slept with her husband’s best friend then slept with her best friends ex husband’ thing??? like haven’t we beaten that horse to death already, that happened way back in the early seasons of Grey’s-LET IT GO ALREADY!!! Obivously Private Practice is still doing something to keep viewers interested for 5 seasons and counting…(no matter who or what the reason may be)

32. bootsy says:

Two things fascinate me about this show: 1. the existence of single 40-something men and 2: 40-something men who are interested in women their own age. ;-)

33. Felipe says:

Long time GA and now big PP fan. I just love, love, the Addison/Sam relationship! It is what it is. They both have been up front and honest with each other as far as their feelings and the whole baby thing, confessed their so called infidelities to a point, but they both admitted they still love each other! Yes, Jake is a nice addition to the show, but hook him up with Amelia, he gets the whole ‘addict’ thing anyway. He is boring! Shonda, you cannot have Addision sleep with another man! Makes her look like, well ya know! Now for Sam and Addison, she does not get pregnant the second time around, Sam sees how hurt and sad she is, has a change of heart, asks her to marry him and they go on to make beautiful babies together!!!