Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Supporting Actor in a Drama? Vote Now!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

The Emmy award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama has gone to a different actor every year since 1996, when Ray Walston took home his second consecutive statuette for Picket Fences. And that trend will continue in 2011, as Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul can’t defend his title due to AMC scheduling the return of his series after the close of this year’s Emmy eligibility period. So who should be the latest beneficiary of Emmy’s fickleness in the category?

Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick for when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (91)

• I know Peter Dinklage is a fan favorite, but I gotta go with Alan Cumming. Eli Gold is pure TV gold.

But, I mean, whoever wins, I’ll be happy. There aren’t any Betty Whites or Jon Cryers in this category. :)

Comment by Chmarin – August 24, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true. All of these actors deserve to win, so I would be happy for any of them.

Comment by Mandy – August 24, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Eli Gold is pure TV gold.” – Couldn’t agree more!! Love Cumming!!

Comment by Katrine – August 24, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Every line he delivers is delicious…whether its devilish or not!

Comment by MamaLarson3 – August 24, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed, with an honorable mention to Josh Charles.

Comment by Anna – August 24, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best show none of you are watching is Men of a Certain Age. Had their been even decent promotion by TNT, Andre Braugher would be the run away favorite. We are not giving up on this show or quality TV that is rapidly joining the dinosaurs. Join our crusade to save this show and even if you haven’t seen the show, join us in the spirit of saving quality TV. You’ll thank us when it is your new favorite show too! https://www.facebook.com/SaveMenOfACertainAge

Comment by Beth – August 24, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just to be clear: It was canceled and needs a new network to pick it up or for TNT to reconsider bringing it back. So sad:(

Comment by Beth – August 24, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No I won’t. Sorry; but I’m not a fan of period pieces, and when asked to watch I just got bored. Cumming by a landslide.

Comment by Anna – August 24, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, I was referring to Mad Men. The reason I don’t watch Men Of A certain Age is because I can’t stand Ray Romano.

Comment by Anna – August 24, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Anna, honestly I couldn’t stand Ray Romano and really couldn’t stand Scott Bakula… until I started watching Men of a Certain Age on a whim.

It is now my favorite show of all time (not exaggerating) and I have had a huge change of opinion on the both of them. BUT… Andre Braugher is just amazing on that show, not for being flashy, but for bringing such depth and brilliance and pathos to his character in a way that engages you completely.

It is so hard to tell people what’s so great about this show – it’s like trying to describe the best steak you ever had. You just know once you’ve had it you would eat anything else the same chef prepared, and no words would do it justice.

-T

Comment by Troy – August 24, 2011 07:19 PM PDT
          • I could never stand Romano’s sitcom, but oh, this show was incredible. It was funny and poignant.Original characters full of funny and apprehension and insecurity. This show is a gem and under-rated gem. I have a whole new respect for Ray Romano.

Comment by Denise – August 24, 2011 09:58 PM PDT
          • I never really liked Ray Romano. Was not a fan of his sitcom. But he is great in this show. You just have to watch him as a different person, from his sitcom to Men Of a Certain age.

Comment by MaryAnne – August 24, 2011 10:57 PM PDT
          • Everybody Loves Raymond is the all time most popular sitcom, I think it even does better than Seinfeld, which is the second most popular all time sitcom.

Comment by Alessandro Machi – August 25, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
          • Can’t agree more. I actually HATED Ray Romano before this. And I have to say both his writing and his acting are off the chart in this show. I would have stayed away just because of him if my roommate hadn’t turned me onto the show, and I”m so glad I didn’t. The best show on tv the last two years.

Comment by jgagnepain – August 29, 2011 11:02 AM PDT
      • Here, here!!!! This is the best show. I love it. Don’t understand why they would want to cancel it. I sure hope some other station will pick it up.

Comment by MaryAnne – August 24, 2011 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Check it out! Awesome letter and video. The fight to save MOACA is over :(

Comment by Suzannesf – August 27, 2011 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Beth. The fight is over :(
        Check out the great letter and video of MOACA.

Comment by Suzannesf – August 27, 2011 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Great positive letter from the creators! The video grabbed my heart as it did on the show! It has new added meaning now that the show is canceled! What heart- like loosing a best friend not to see the next part of their lives! Ray, keep up this direction in your career. Good luck, Andre! You’re still my favorite actor, Emmy or not!!! Loved the vulnerability, Scott! Didn’t know you had that side! Great cast and writing!!!

Comment by Anita L. – August 28, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So hard to pick. I voted for Dinklage, but really, it’s a toss-up. Cumming’s Eli Gold is easily my favorite character on TGW. He’s fantastic.

Comment by DL – August 24, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed- my vote would go to Alan Cumming, but this is really a bulls eye category; whichever actor wins is totally deserving, so I’ll be happy with any of them.

Comment by Carrie – August 24, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alan Cumming, he is so good you love to hate him so much. But agree, all of those gents are pure gold to win. :)

Comment by nitemar – August 25, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For those of you who haven’t experienced the brilliance of Men of a Certain Age, watch this clip with Andre Braugher. There is virtually no dialogue and it elicits this kind of emotion. Having the background helps but this will tease you into wanting more. It is so sad indeed. RIP MOACA, and Andre you deserve the win even if practically no one saw how great you were in this show!! I like you as a car dealership owner over a cop. A slice of everyday life and that is why this show was so great. https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=130556907041397&oid=160694517336268&comments

Comment by Beth – August 28, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are only 2 correct answers, here.

Hint: They are on Justified and GoT

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 24, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. It was a tough call between Dinklage and Goggins, but I had to give it to Dinklage by a hair.

Comment by Cameron – August 24, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I love Walt Goggins & Peter Dinklage. Both are amazing and ridiculously talented!

Comment by Elizabeth – August 24, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • those two are the most deserving but, i woul have to give it to goggins just cause he got robbed by never getting a nomination for the shield

Comment by chris – August 24, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes they are the deserving ones, which is exactly why they wont win

Comment by joe – August 25, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all about Dinklage for this one. Team Tyrion!

Comment by aleksa – August 24, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Peter Dinklage. Though Alan Cumming and Walton Goggins were both excellent as well.

Comment by Tee – August 24, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JOHN NOBLE! … oh… wait.

Comment by Quincy – August 24, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s not getting old. I love John Noble too, but at this point it’s like making fun of Justin Beiber. Let’s use some imagination, hmm?

Comment by Sam – August 24, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dinklage, Cumming and Goggins may be up front (and I wouldn’t scream “bloody murder” if any of them won) because of the characters they played — and played well.
    But to my mind, none of them acted with the virtuosity or Andre Braugher.

Comment by te – August 24, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m rooting for Peter Dinklage for the actual win. Hooray for Americans acting with in an English accent! I’m glad Americans have finally been given a chance to act (and out-act) British actors.

Comment by Nathan – August 24, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so thrilled to see Josh Charles get a nomination. He’s such a subtle actor- not as showy as others but nonetheless so talented. Will Gardner brings control and finesse to every scene. Shame he won’t win.
    That said, I’d be happy I’d Alan Cumming won. Eli Gold is just one of the best characters on TV

Comment by Cate – August 24, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble for the win!!! How can one win the TV critics award and yet not score an Emmy nom? It underscores what a joke the academy is.

Comment by Gavin – August 24, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch Fringe but I do agree with you. NPH and Bijou Phillips both won one and aren’t even nominated.

Comment by AJ – August 24, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because the TCA’s made a mistake?

Comment by Anna – August 24, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Dinklage was FANTASTIC on Game of Thrones. He deserves this hands down!!

Comment by Liz – August 24, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dinklage w Goggins a close 2nd. Both were amazing!

Comment by Susan – August 24, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voted for our Giant of Lannister.

Like most people here, I’d go with Peter Dinklage, followed by Goggins and Alan Cumming.

Comment by Sourabh – August 24, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Andre Braugher but I’m with Dinklage and Cumming too. John Noble snub again, very outrageous ! (and Irrfan Khan should have been on the list)

Comment by Soso – August 24, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d also add Scott Bakula as being snubbed for Men of a Certain Age.

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 24, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in the, minority with andre braugher

Comment by Kari – August 24, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how tough and competitive a category this is…really says something that we all can take John Slattery’s easy charm/sleaze and effortless complexity for granted in this race. I truly believe the Academy can’t choose wrong this year. Though, like many of you, I’m Team Tyrion.

Comment by John – August 24, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about John Noble?

Comment by Kaelity – August 24, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This category is the hardest IMO this year. All of them were just so good year. My predictions are:

Goggins
    Cumming
    Dinklage
    Slattery
    Charles

It’ll probably go to Slattery though (I haven’t seen MoaCA so can’t comment on Braugher on that, but he’s a great actor.)

Comment by AJ – August 24, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • josh charles !!

Comment by Andrea – August 24, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walton Goggins please! If not, then I support Peter Dinklage.

Comment by M – August 24, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Dinklage

In the hands of a lesser actor this role would have been a joke. Dinklage has added real charisma so you care about the character. In a great cast he stands out! He deserves this recognition!

Comment by JHarnes – August 24, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Great way to put it!

Comment by Hollis – August 24, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated voting for walton goggins because I LOVE Alan Cummings. But Walton was amazing and Alan Cummings wasn’t a full time character last year. Maybe next year.

Comment by carolyn – August 24, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Dinklage was good. But Walton Goggins was phenomenal! No question in my mind who should win. Walton is definitely the best of the bunch.

Comment by Wendy Cook – August 24, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy, tough group. I didn’t watch Game of Thrones, so that makes it a little easier – but still, very hard to choose between Alan Cumming and Walter Goggins.

Comment by Bernie – August 24, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goggins is unbelievable should have at least an Emmy by now. He deserves this win and i would give Dinklage a close second.

Comment by John Albany – August 24, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wowww. Finally, a category I would be happy with practically any of the nominees winning. With the exception of Andre Braugher, I’ve seen and loved all of them in action. I’d have to say my favorites would be John Slattery and Alan Cumming. But I’m *thrilled* with all the nominations in general.

Comment by asherlev1 – August 24, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walton Goggins was incredible this season on Justified. In an effort to shoehorn his character into most episode the plot has become farfetched but Walter’s acting makes it work. This season was all about him re-discovering his evil roots after trying to go straight in season 1. It was a master’s class on acting. More importantly, although it shouldn’t affect the voters, but while watching Justified, Walter makes you forget there was ever a side kick named: Shane Vendrell.

Comment by John From Raleigh – August 24, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo hard to choose between Dinklage and Goggins. Easily the toughest Emmy race.

Comment by Andi – August 24, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alan Cumming! Every week, he seemed to get better and better and stood out in what I consider the strongest ensemble on TV. He deserves this win, especially with the amazing episode he submitted.
    That said, my heart also wants Josh Charles to pull off an upset. He plays a character with such restraint and deep emotion at the same time. With “Closing Arguments” as his submission, his best work is on display, both as a great lawyer in the week’s case and the awkward but genuine romance of the final scenes, as a man finally getting a chance with the love of his life.

Comment by Liv – August 24, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tough choice, there should be an option to pick two. Andre Braugher and Walton Goggins get my vote!

Comment by Corrie – August 24, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great category, all of them are very deserving of the emmy. It’s hard to choose, but I think I’d pick Walton Goggins.

Comment by MJ – August 24, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say Josh Charles, based on handsomeness alone.

Comment by Tami – August 24, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really get all the Peter Dinklage love. I think he’s great, but frankly, I don’t think he deserves it nearly as much as these other guys, especially John Slattery.

Comment by Justin – August 24, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few good nominees here. I voted for Walton Goggins as I love that man, but I’m not sure his chances are that good because Margo Martindale outshone everyone last season on Justified, plus I think Walton’s performance in season one was a little bit better. He had much better material to work with first season. I do think the emmy will go to Alan Cumming, because he rocks just that much, or John Slattery for the same reason. I don’t care what the voting statistics say, Slattery’s chances are a lot better than TVLine voters are making them look.

Comment by Amber – August 24, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Josh, but I’ve always loved Josh. Alan Cumming creeped me out before this, and now I think he’s awesome. That’s talent.

Comment by K – August 24, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Men of a certain age was most underrated show on tv

Comment by jeremy – August 24, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are all so amazing! This is the only category where I really do love all of the noms. If I had to pick, I would go with Slattery, just because he’s on the best show on tv and should have that damn emmy! (I love Cummings too though… and Dinklage…)

Comment by Neva – August 24, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alan Cumming! He is absolutely brilliant as Eli Gold. He has made a character likable who could have been one-note and annoying.

Comment by Amy – August 24, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think he’ll win, but I would love for Josh Charles to get it. As others have said, he’s a great, subtle actor who is so solid week after week. But awards seem to favor flashier roles. I’m psyched he got a nod, though. Or maybe it’s just my undying “Sports Night” love! ;)

Comment by Skye Wilson – August 24, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble.

Comment by robert ariadne – August 25, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andre Braugher = Perfection

Comment by RLS – August 25, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, when are you going to start writing REAL articles again?

Comment by Lucy – August 25, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walton Goggins

Comment by Lisa – August 25, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch ANY of these shows. :-(

Comment by POTCH – August 25, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alan Cumming

Comment by anna – August 25, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems like in all the drama categories this year it’s going to be a tough race. But my vote for this one goes to Peter Dinklage hands down with Walton Goggins as my second choice.

Comment by kierahillmin – August 26, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andre Braugher, hands down!

Comment by Suzannesf – August 27, 2011 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tough choice between Peter Dinklage and Alan Cumming. I’m going with Game Of Thrones.

Comment by ogla – August 27, 2011 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Friedman is behind it so it has to be a very character driven drama. I liked the trailer and this is too much for Fox to digest.

Comment by Ogla Sungutay – August 27, 2011 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Walter Goggins and Peter Dinklage. I can’t say anything about the others as I don’t watch their shows, but if either of these two wins I’ll be a happy camper. For the record, I voted Dinklage because Tyrion is hi-larious.

Comment by Hannah – August 27, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m of the mind that Walton Goggins’ nomination is one of the smartest Emmy moves in a long time.
    Such a beautiful, subtle, mesmerizing performance, I’d give it to him.
    Though his competition is all excellent too!

Comment by Alex – August 27, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post