Here is some out-of-this-world news for Battlestar Galactica fans: Jamie Bamber has landed a recurring gig as a potential love interest for Rachel Leigh Cook on TNT’s Perception. The upcoming drama stars Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) as an eccentric neuroscientist who helps the feds crack difficult cases, per AOLTV.
Elsewhere in the always-bustling BSG universe, John Pyper-Ferguson (fka “Tomas Virgis”) will pop up on the Sept. 26 season finale of Syfy’s Alphas; get details here.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Katie Couric’s new daytime talk show has officially received a name, and it is… her own. Katie is what the eventual potential General Hospital replacement will go by when it debuts in September 2012, per TVNewser.
• New York Knicks stud Carmelo Anthony is set to make a cameo in the Sept. 28 episode of NBC’s Law & Order: SVU. The guest star-heavy installment, which centers on a youth basketball coach suspected of being a sexual predator, also will feature NBA star Chris Bosh, The Wonder Years’ dear ol’ dad Dan Lauria, rapper Heavy D, and Necessary Roughness‘ Mehcad Brooks.
• Jay Mohr (Jerry Maguire) will appear on NBC’s Prime Suspect (premiering Sept. 22) in the potentially recurring role of a slick DA, EW.com reports.
• German actress Nina Kronjager will guest on USA Network’s Covert Affairs as an ex-girlfriend of Peter Gallagher’s Arthur, TVGuide.com reports.
• Pop group Cobra Starship will perform on an October “Rock the Vote”-themed episode of The CW’s 90210, per EW.com. Additionally, TeenNick actor Ryan Rottman will appear in at least one episode of the soap’s fourth season as a gay student campaigning for marriage equality.
• Modern Family‘s Eric Stonestreet will star in The Day the Laughter Stopped, an HBO Film based on the tragic life of legendary silent-film star Fatty Arbuckle, Vulture reports.
• ABC has purchased Hyde, a modern-day Jekyll & Hyde-inspired drama project from Sheldon Turner, co-writer of the George Clooney-starring Up In the Air, per Deadline.
• Lily Rabe (daughter of late actress Jill Clayburgh) has landed a six-episode arc on FX’s buzzy American Horror Story, E! Online reports. Rabe — whose past credits include guest spots on The Good Wife and Medium — will be seen via flashbacks to the 1920s as the original owner of the haunted house now inhabited by Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott’s marrieds. American Horror Story premieres Oct. 5.
• Speaking of… FX has released yet another supercreepy teaser for American Horror Story, and it’s stomach churning (or stomach something), to say the least. See for yourself below:
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?