Glee's Chord Overstreet Goes Back to School With Sitcom Gig

McKinley High’s loss is an Orson Elementary’s gain.

Chord Overstreet, whose enrollment on Fox’s Glee screeched to a halt over the summer, will resurface — this time on the teaching end of things — on ABC’s The Middle.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on How Glee‘s Sam Will Exit, and More!

In the Sept. 28 episode of the third-year comedy, Overstreet will guest-star as Ralph Wilkerson, Brick’s new, young and idealistic fourth-grade teacher whose involved teaching methods run counter to Frankie and Mike’s “more relaxed” parenting style.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on The Middle‘s Season-Opening Family Vacation, and More

The Middle‘s hour-long Season 3 opener — featuring guest star Ray Romano — airs Wednesday, Sept. 21, at 8/7c.

1. Jenna says:

Good for you, Chord. You deserved much better than the runaround that Ryan, Ian, and Brad put you through. Hope the guest star role turns into the regular job you’ve earned. (And where’s that album?)

• JDHetherington says:

His option wasn’t picked up, they made it clear when they were doing contracts that their was a possibility he wouldn’t get a contract increase after just one season. Harry Shum Jr. was a “guest star” for 41 episodes across Season 1 and 2 before being promoted as a regular. You didn’t see Ashley Fink (Lauren), Max Adler (Karofsky), Iqbal Theba (Figgins), or Lauren Potter (Becky), quitting because they weren’t promoted. He’s very talented, but to say he earned a series regular position when there are several examples of people who have appeared as much or more then him, and aren’t regulars yet. Leave RIB alone. They tried to make a compromise. He didn’t take it.

• ursula says:

Like you know the full story. He had plenty reasons to leave. It’s crazy behind the scenes. The young actors are treated like crap, they’re forced to work crazy hours all year and don’t even make a cent for the music that makes FOX millions.

• Octavia345 says:

I know. He made the money of a guest actor but was forced to work as much as the regulars. I wouldn’t want to be exploited by Ryan Murphy either. Why work himself too much for nothing when he can make similar money in a guest spot here and there? Glee gave him fame, now he can move on in his carrer. If it was his choice to leave Glee it’s because he had his reasons. I don’t blame him at all.

• Matt says:

Do you even watch glee? He was in every episode but one last year. He was featured very heavily. The first year of the show Harry Shum JR spoke once and he only did a bit more this year. Darren Criss didn’t even do a majority of last seasons episodes he is now a series regular.

• Rowan says:

Sorry JDHetherington, but when his option was not picked up, it was NOT made clear to him or his reps that this was standard. In fact only after the HUGE outrage from fans did the producers backpedal and say that he would become a series regular after episode 10 this season. Then they tried to make it look like all the hoopla was falsely created by Chord and his flacks (just like Ryan did to Chris, Lea and Corey when he lambasted them for giving honest reactions to finding out he said they were going to get fired at the end of the season). Chord was smart to not return. Ryan has little regard for his actors. his ego is huge. Thank goodness they have an excellent writing staff this season while he focuses more on American Horror Story (which also has a great writing staff).

• Lily says:

You cannot compare Chord to Harry. Two episodes “Rumours” and the Justin bieber one was all about Chord’s character.. I don’t think there was such an episode centred about Blaine and the Warblers only. but Darren got the regular status and Chord didn’t.

• sally says:

Chord and Ryan are both divas.

• carol says:

Nothing Chord had done makes him seem like a diva. In fact, I appreciate that he has maintained his posture and hasn’t talked to the press to bash the Glee people. The Glee people sure didn’t hesitate to put the blame on him (just like they did on Chris for not moving forward with the spin off). All the Glee actors have acted with class. It’s the producers that are divas.

• Lily says:

And why did Chris not leave after being treated like that ? Maybe he likes Kurt so much… Chord maybe did not like “Sam Evans” enough… Chord may not realize that a character like “Sam Evans” is a haven among all the other annoying characters. (before you shoot me, I am a hopeless Kurt fan). He may not be that visible, but when he is not there, he will be missed.

• Big Willy says:

Chord deserves better? LOL. Glee was the best thing to ever happen to him, he is always referred to as GLEE’S Chord Overstreet, who was he before Glee? And if you don’t watch Glee you won’t know who he is. The best he could do is The Middle? Bigger LOL. This is what happened, Glee fired him (after the Glee tour) but FOX twisted RIB’s arm into hiring him back after the fan response, Chord probally felt dissed and declined. Sam was hardly a fan favorite nor was he interesting enough. Yeah, he had the poor storyline. Who cares if Chord had stayed or went, thing is he is off one of the most, if not the most popular show on TV regardless of the backstage problems (which all shows have, imagine the Greys Anatomy set), Chord is gone, who cares and whats the title of this article? GLEE’s Chord Overstreet blah blah. Case and point.

2. Steven says:

Really? He’s 22. Not old enough to be a teacher.

3. Taylor says:

I will miss him as Sam so much that it truly breaks my heart (LOVED that character and will always be my favorite after Kurt) but I’m happy to see Chord anywhere else. I’ve never watched this show before but I’ll definitely be tuning in!

4. Mildred says:

WOO WHOO! GO CHORD! I’m very very happy for him. He really does deserve better than the Glee writers. This is him moving on, and let’s hope we see more of Chord on our screens in the future :)

• JDHetherington says:

Again. The Glee Writers attempted to give him a compromise so he could continue on with the show, he didn’t want to take it. There was nothing in his contract that said he would DEFINETLY become a regular for Season 3, so it’s not there fault, they wanted him to stay, but Chord wanted to move on with other things.

• Rebecca says:

That contract stuff is totally bogus, it was clearly PR spin, Chord got fired, people were upset, this regular/recurring rubbish is ridiculous. Glee is a great show, but fore-thought and planning is not their forte!!! THEY SHOT AN EPISODE WITHOUT A SCRIPT FOR 48 HOURS! That’s disgraceful! Chord clearly didn’t want to leave, just because he’s behaving well doesn’t mean it was his choice!

• Thomas says:

He didn’t want to do the same exact job as the 19 other actors on Glee for less pay and credit. Is that so horrible? He appeared in 22 episode last season and earned a promotion, but didn’t get one. Instead he got, “Chord, like Harry, but not like Darren, will have to earn it.” So, why exactly should he stay at a job he has to do tons of work for less pay and credit as everyone else and has his work undermined by his boss? Yeah, money and fame isn’t worth that.

• nina says:

It all come down to being Darren’s fault. But let’s just see some facts here:

-Darren brought to the show a lot of his starkid fans that follow him everywhere.
          -Teenage Dream, the first song he recorded for the show is the most selling song of the show.
          -He came to the show acting side by side with fan favorite Chris Colfer. (he was lucky here but it’s not his fault)
          -He is part of one of the main couples of the show.
          -The Warbles CD was #2 on the Itunes chart losing only for Adele’s albun

All of this means money and audience for the show. They have a budget to accommodate and between Chord and Darren, Darren gave more financial return than Chord. It’s cruel and cold but simple as that. Glee is a business after all so they are going to give the option to be a series regular to someone that gives more financial return to them.

I love Chord and staying or leaving is his choice. He thought he would have better opportunities out of Glee so good luck to him. It’s just unfair to say that Darren didn’t worked hard too to be picked as series regular.

5. Me says:

Drat, I thought I was rid of him

6. Angel says:

I’ve never seen this show but I’ll be tuning in! I bet he will be great with kids!

7. matt says:

JDHetherington, is that really you Ryan Murphy? haha

8. Sonia says:

I honestly agree. When it comes to acting whether its on stage, on a show or in a movie, actors and actresses have to be able to either play a character that is younger or older then their actual as well as characters their own age.

9. Sandra says:

I love Chord, but Idk if this is the best career move. If its one episode, fine, but if its an entire season (depending on how well-watched it is), he may age himself out of playing a teenager before his time, but still look too young to play against most of hollywood…

10. iMarty says:

Glee’s loss.

• MonkeyRat says:

Ditto.
      He was my favourite male character, and actually the only one that I genuinely liked. Never watched The Middle but I think I’ll give it a shot.

11. N says:

So overrated. His acting was pretty bad and his singing wasn’t that good either. I’m happy that he’s gone.

12. Thomas says:

I’m really happy for him. I’ll be sure to check the episode out.

13. Polly says:

Great…as soon as my least favorite character finally gets off my favorite TV show, he jumps ship to my second favorite.

I’m hoping this doesn’t last more than an episode, I think he was more cut out for singing, not acting.

14. Kro says:

Chord Overstreet, a teacher? He’s young enough to still be in college! Nobody’s going to buy it.

15. Sara says:

Maybe he just couldn’t take anymore jokes….

16. Sara says:

*Maybe he just couldn’t take anymore mouth jokes….