Exclusive

Castle Scoop: Killing Actress Kristin Lehman to Come Between Castle and Beckett?

Getting a bullet in the chest may be the least of Beckett’s problems on Castle this season.

TVLine has learned that Kristin Lehman — a.k.a. Billy Campbell’s right-hand woman on AMC’s The Killing — has been cast as a potentially recurring love interest for Nathan Fillion’s titular sleuth.

Lehman’s character, whose arrival was first teased in last week’s Ask Ausiello, is described as a “gorgeous, sexy, sophisticated art insurance investigator” who takes an immediate liking to Castle (but who is also harboring a surprising past).

As many of you have pointed out below, the casting reunites Fillion and Lehman for the first time since their brief test Drive on Fox four years ago.

Castle‘s fourth season launches Sept. 19 at 10/9c on ABC.

Thoughts? Do you view the new girl in Cas’ life as a serious threat? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

• Bess77 says:

Once again the showrunner succumbs to the stereotypical blond couple smasher. Hannah, we hardly knew you. Oh wait, we’re going to get another chance. Well it killed Bones. Let’s see if Castle too dies at the hands another blond plot device.

• Gwen says:

“Bones” didn’t die…it sagged a little with the whole Hannah thing, but once she left, the show was much better! But you are right about the blond thing being an extremely overused plot device.

• mp says:

The stupid Bones blondie killed that show for me… and this blondie will now kill Castle for me.

I agree with Bess and I am not a happy camper right now.

• ladyluck says:

Don’t let it kill the show yet… from what I’ve heard this is not supposed to be at all the same as the Hannah fiasco. I haven’t found any other sources that even claim this new blonde is going to be back. Actually, I’ve heard the opposite. According to three other articles I’ve read, Josh was the last of the permantent ‘other love interest’ story lines for Castle.
          Don’t quote me but I’m not putting a lot of stock in the ‘recurring love interest’ comment.

• Jillian says:

People shouldn’t judge the future of a show based on onew stupid blonde. Hannah is gone…and the show is much better. Maybe you guys should see for yourself when the premiere which airs Nov. 3rd.

Same with Castle. Yes…I agree that the blonde thing is an extremely overused plot…but don’t get your panties in a bunch just yet.

• B-Dawg says:

You got that right,every show must have one of those ,,tall,boobyfull blond b******” which make you wanna vomit and the one on the picture,ugh,she gave me nightmares…>:(

• Templar says:

I’m not familiar with the actress, but in the photo she looks evil or at least a four-wheeled bitch. I’m predicting everyone except Castle is going to hate her including his mother and daughter.

• Alicia says:

Yeah, at the risk of sounding harsh, and I’m sure the actress is a nice enough person, but she looks like a hooker in that photo.

• Guess says:

Can Castle and Beckett move on with the foreplay aleady! This is the same kind of nonesense they tried up with Bonnes and they ended up with a “shocking pregnancy”. I think they could stay as fun a couple as they single.

• Jackie says:

The “shocking pregnancy” was a result of Emily Deschanel’s real life pregnancy. Not due to anything specific they had planned in advance.

• Bob L. says:

Still, despite it’s “out-of-left-field” reveal & dodgy explanation (one night of comforting = bun in the oven), this is one instance where the season could have been split up between “pre- and post-birth” Emily and the show would not have lost any of it’s fans. Now, the show is facing another “why did they do that” scenario”, similar to the “post-op coma/dream sequence” that in my opinion should not have aired.

• ladyluck says:

Actually Emily’s real life pregnancy wasn’t as much a significant factor-there are ways to work around that-as it was an easy way to get them together without ‘ruining the chemistry’, or so I’ve heard.

Personally, I think they did a nice job of that on their own.

• Julie says:

I agree that they can be as good as a couple as they are single. It is all about the writing.
        Why get rid of Josh if you are going to bring another love interest in? They just can’t keep throwing people between them the fans will grow really tired of this!!! I hope she isn’t a recurring role. I don’t want the writer’s tp throw Caskett together in the premier but we need them to start moving towards each other not doing this same dance with people they truly don’t care about!!! Didn’t Andrew Marlowe say there would be anymore significant other distractions? I thought he said that in an interview at the end of season 3 and that Montgomery’s envelope and other things would be their obstacles now not people!!!
        I think the Bones reference is very appropriate to becasue Hanna ruined the dynamic of the show and they rushed to cover Brennan’s real-life pregnancy.

• Angel says:

Double yuck!

• allie says:

yuck is right. why on earth would he find this over botoxed thang attractive when he is in love with Beckett? Nastiness.

1. Liz says:

I see her only as a threat to the patience of the fans :P

• Elpida says:

I totally agree with you!!!

• allyson says:

Yep, you got that right!

• SAM says:

Agreed! Why can’t the writers how some courage and just move the Castle/Beckett relationship forward?!

• zaza says:

Because Becket isn’t ready for that yet. That’s why she was with Josh. She could have a sort-of relationship and not have to worry that it was actually going anywhere. She’s still very closed off and needs to move past that before she can be open with Castle. She knows that Castle wouldn’t accept anything less than a real relationship.

• Rina says:

I’m not convinced that she knows anything about Castle’s expectations at all, or that she is going to try and figure them out.

• mskopeli says:

So disappointed that we will have to sit through this!

• MamaLarson3 says:

This is especially upsetting to me because I am brand-new to the show…slowly catching up on DVD’s and eventually OnDemand. Now THIS is what I’m looking forward to when I catch up?

• DL says:

Agreed. She was good on The Killing, but the last thing Castle needs is another love interest. I thought Marlowe promised we were done with random people hedging in on some Caskett romance.

• mep says:

I could have sworn I heard Marlowe or someone connected with this show say “we’re not going to repeat ourselves”. Well, I’m sorry, but isn’t throwing another love interest out there a REPEAT???

• dftwinkie says:

Precisely. And I have a lot of patience to let a story unfold, but not for being lied to outright by showrunners promising they’re done with SO storylines and then cooking up yet another. Especially when they didn’t do either Josh or Gina any justice last year.

• Charlotte says:

Completely agree with this.

2. lariet50 says:

Hate this whole thing. Why must the “Castle” writers keep inventing this crap? It was good as it was!

3. Kz says:

I think this is awesome! Creates tension and will make KB jealous :)

4. Grag says:

Will she grow eyebrows by the time she’s on the show? Looks pretty freaky in the inset.

5. Lisa says:

Gorgeous and sexy are not words I would use to describe Kristin Lehman. ‘Yuck’ and “Ew’ are more like it.

• julia says:

*like* your comment.
      Don’t think she brought much to The Killing either.

• Rina says:

Hope she doesn’t look at worn and trashy on the show (am guessing this ‘look’ is for a role). Haven’t we seen enough of Castle falling in lust with hard, blonde women? At this point he should be immune.

Bring on an internationally acclaimed art expert who is sophisticated, warm, humorous and honestly attracted, and then we can talk. That would be a good way to wake up Beckett, if Castle isn’t falling into bed with the woman, but enjoys her company and takes her for coffee.

Bimbos aren’t a threat, she knows Castle will still be there when she wants him.

6. Janell says:

UGH…

7. Lucy says:

Yes please. Castle is so boring around Beckett. I hope this new girl will bring some fresh air and stop the *sigh* inevitable and lame hook up.

8. Malachi says:

Note to Andrew Marlowe: Castle doesn’t need a “Hannah” character, thanks.

9. Lisa says:

Castle writers are really starting to piss off the brown coats.

10. JMRogue says:

It’s a DRIVE reunion! She was on Drive w/Nathan Fillion

11. Ryan says:

Are you all kidding? This is fun. Lehman was Fillion’s main co-star on “Drive”, which was cancelled far too quickly

12. MonkeyRat says:

This “will they, won’t they” is getting old.

13. Karen says:

we dont need a another Hannah thanks andrew

14. Tim says:

Can’t believe Michael didn’t mention Drive! Quite psyched for this casting!

15. Cari says:

They’re going to have to sell me on this, but I trust the Castle writers to make it make sense. Right now, there’s no way Castle would jump from “I love you” to another girl. But I’m reserving judgment of both her and the idea until I see how it plays out.

16. Tom Mc says:

Yes indeed it is a “Drive” reunion. I admire how Nathan always
    seems to have a good relationship with the folks he has worked
    with in the past as well as his Castle castmates. Good for him!

17. BonesFringeFan says:

Bo-ring.
    Sorry. I love Castle, but the last season was iffy with a couple good episodes like the mid-season finale and the finale but on the whole it was a bit disappointing…
    I really hope this love interest just disappears off the face of the Earth!

18. Marcie says:

She looks like his ex-wife.

19. Mark says:

Kristin Lehman’s character is also harboring a surprising past? Hmmm…former criminal? Likely. But, based on the inset, my money is “she” used to be a dude.

20. Sammy says:

I mean no disrespect but this is the “gorgeous and sexy” woman that the casting dept. called for?
    I’m gonna try and hold judgement for this whole SO storyline again but it will be hard! The Josh “storyline” (if you want to call it that) was a fail! Not because Beckett had a BF but because we never saw him and had no reason to care. This coming from a former shipper (as s3 killed the ship for me and the chemistry of Nathan/Stana was slowly destroyed).

21. Steffi says:

Really? This is SO lame? It didn’t work on Bones either with Hannah and now they do the exact same thing on Castle? C’mon…

22. allyson says:

He just said ‘I love you Kate’ Now they expect us to accept that he will ignore that and move on to another woman! Please, enough is enough.

• J. Norman says:

On first thought I agree with you.
      But we’ll have to see how the producers attempt to work in this relationship.
      On second thought, though, I agree with most who are saying “why is such a relationship even needed at all.

• dftwinkie says:

Exactly. Why pull that out if this is where they go next? Surely getting shot and all the other fallout from the finale is quite enough to logically keep them apart, without making Castle look like he’s got all the sticking power of a wet band-aid and isn’t worth Beckett’s heart after all.

23. Annie says:

This is so lame. AM promised that Josh would not be standing in their way anymore, so they get Castle a new woman? Booo! How is that new? She’s like Gina 2.0. Either he’ll start dating her to get his mind off Beckett but without really falling in love, which would be just like what he did with Gina. Or he’ll fall on love, which would REALLY piss me off after the finale. Either way, I have a really bad feeling about this. Why can’t they just let Caskett be flirty friends with for a while. I would be really disappointed if they decided to keep that insurance woman around for more than one episode.

24. Sammy says:

Let not forget that we dont know what Beckett and Josh’s status is when this woman happens on the scene. If Beckett is still w Josh than why have Castle sit around and sulk? I’m sick of kicked in the balls Castle!

• Templar says:

We’ve seen so little of Victor Webster he may as well not be mentioned.

• Ana says:

You’re right. And Josh is still her boyfriend. We even learned in an earlier spoiler that he’ll fight Castle in the premiere. Since we don’t know how Beckett will react to Castle’s confession, we don’t really know if he’s at fault for finding company with another woman. Beckett will probably ignore his confession until it blows in her face, just like they both did with everything else (as we saw in the finale of season 2 and 3)!

• Rina says:

But I’ve read a lot of online comments that if Castle even looks at anyone else it just proves he isn’t relationship material. I think he is supposed to be struck blind and swear to eternal celibacy and loneliness until Beckett decides he is worth a shot.

25. Ron says:

Andrew! My dvr thanks you for the hour back for 5 0 or Playboy
    58 shows and zero progress is enough for me.
    If you average 8 mil viewers this year you will be lucky

26. Rita Tutschulte says:

We do not need anything to make Castle look idiotic and irresponsible again, after he has grown so much over the past 3 seasons. If it’s just to make Kate jealous because she is still with Josh, then I could see a SHORT attraction to another woman, but not another long term romance. It’s just not believable and oh, so tiresome!

27. Vicki says:

Come on Marlowe, you promised us you were done with this crap. The minute Beckett and Josh are through, Castle HAS to dump this chick’s ass. Or better yet, don’t even date her. Flirt with her to make Beckett jealous and then stand her up. Yeah that’s a good plan. Beckett’s already had her heart broken by one of Castle’s blondes, you can’t reuse it.

28. Maggie says:

For people asking “why do writers do this?”. They do this because they and the studio exes believe that last season of Moonlighting sucked because the characters slept together and not because (1) they lost of a producer, (2) Cybil Sheppard not wanting to come to set cause the hours of a TV show were too much for her (3) Bruce Willis “phoning it in” cause he wanted to do features now that Die hard had turned him into a major star. Really wish Moonlighting had never existed! The fear of Moonlighting is what broke Bones (which I don’t watch anymore) too late fox! too late! You were afraid of Moonlighting and stalled too long and got stupid!

• Katarzyna says:

Re: MOONLIGTHTNING:

1) also the WRITERS’S STRIKE happened at that time
      2) show’s creator was kicked out of the show during it’s last season
      3) the new writers totally screwed up.

ABC, please take it into consideration and let Andrew Marlowe give us CASKETT and develop it as soon as possible. Thank you.

• kristy says:

you can add House & Huddy to the list.
      too late, badly explored and yet it had such potential…
      I really hope Castle gets its mojo on way sooner!
      a couple coming together does NOT equal death of a show if handled with care.

29. Mari says:

I still don’t get how they’re going to ignore the i love you from season finale, i was hoping that would make things go forward but i guess they are not!sorry to say this because i really love this show, but i think there’s only so much you can put in the way of two people and still make things interesting for us to watch…bones lost me because of the stalling, i hope castle don’t go the same way.

30. Katarzyna says:

I hope it’s for ONE episode only, not recurring character. We really don’t need this crap on Castle anymore.

31. Sammy says:

1 step fwd (Castle’s ILY) – 10 steps back (Castle new love interest) *SIGH*

32. Kate says:

How trite and unimaginative. I am so very disappointed in the Castle writers. I can think of half a dozen ways of going from the point of Castle’s declaration without falling back on a plot device that has been used a million times already. The writers are slacking off if they go this route.

33. Sue says:

REALLY!??? You know I was ok with Alexis being the obstacle for Beckett and Castle this season…That was very understandable…But another so called “love interest” is just ridiculous and played out. I hope this chick is only around for 1 (ONE) episode…

34. nitemar says:

Now I know this show its starting to look like Bones, anything to keep fans guessing..boring.

35. Carmen says:

The writers and producers apparantly are scared S—less about having Castle and Beckett get together.
    If so, I’m not sure that this woman is the answer at all. She looks like a high maintenance, bitch on wheels. I can’t imagine that Castles daughter and mom will welcome her with open arms.
    It would seem that the show runners are terrified on the “Moonlighting Curse” and feel that they simply MUST!! keep Castle and Beckett apart.
    Overall, I’m doubtful right now of the shows future this year. They have removed a popular character in the captain and seem hell bent on bringing in a “tough boss” and an unwanted love interest.
    Good luck guys, maybe you have had one too many brainstorming sessions with David Shore over at House.

36. Christi says:

Seriously? Do Castle & Bones have the same writers? I intentionally started watching Castle because it was honestly more realistic than Bones & I was disgusted with their efforts of wasting all of our time. I refused to watch Bones as soon as they introduced “Hannah” and I am debating on returning or not. Obviously they have gotten together but I wonder what other stupid excuse the writers will use. Now Castle is doing the same thing~ it’s pathetic. Castle was originally a strong, funny show that showed true emotional appeal to the masses. The writers/execs are destroying it, throwing it in the trash and this is one viewer who will not be watching it. Not if they plan on pulling stupid, moronic stunts like this.

37. Mick says:

To all the people who apparently hates Kristin Lehman: You should watch her on Judging Amy. She only appeared in like one season, but she was great on that.

I don’t think she is a “typical blonde”. She is a cool and tough lady. I wish her good luck on her new gig! :)

• Templar says:

That photo makes her look like one of the Real Housewives of [insert name of some pretentious community].

• Shar says:

You’d think they’d use a more recent picture of her. Didn’t recognize her from that picture at first, had to read what character she played on The Killing. I was starting to wonder if I missed a character while watching it.

• Jill says:

I think Kristin Lehman is a good actress. I hope she gets a good gig on a show at last (so sad when Century City died).

But Sara Bernhart couldn’t make me accept yet another outside love interest on this show. I barely hung on through the Gina arc and I’m ready to throw Josh out the window.

Andrew Marlowe had a great show but he spent the last season trashing it with other love interests.

• Bor Zoi says:

Its not her acting.
      Its that she looks like a drag queen.

38. TheOldHaunt says:

Well, this news has gone down like a lead balloon, hasn’t it?

Reading the comments, it strikes me that today’s audiences may have well and truly had enough of the love triangle and a stretched out will-they-won’t-they. I too switched from Bones as soon as they introduced the boring, pointless and badly acted Hannah storyline. I will move on again if they trot out this plot device on Castle as well.

Of course, it’ll more than likely turn out to be nothing of the sort and we can all rue the day we got riled up by a spoiler like this. We’ll see.

39. Dylan says:

I can admit to being a tad annoyed with this spoiler when it was first released (the whole third party thing has been done to death by all shows!) but after seeing the actress playing her….well, I am no longer worried.

40. Jami says:

*Cough* Bones *cough* Hannah *cough*

Uh, yet another reason that I believe Castle is just another knock-off of Bones. LOL sad, get your own story lines.

41. Vivien says:

You know what pisses me off?
    Andrew always says that they won’t go the same way Bones did and all that stuff and seems so smart. But, tbh, he IS doing the exact same thing! It’s annoying and absolutely tiring! By now these obstacles are soo boring and old! Be a man and just get them together! It’s just totally unrealistic by now that they are still not together! Sorry for the rant :P And btw, this woman is NOT sexy or attractive in any kind -.-

42. Tom says:

I hope there are other interesting things on Monday nights because right now I have two hours of DVR space going begging. House is off my DVR list and now Castle is gone. Castle ended badly last season and everything I’ve read about next season sounds awful. This show is done.

43. Wendy says:

Not a Castle/Beckett shipper as I think they have no romantic chemistry, but that is not what my post is about. All I will say is, now can Andrew Marlowe stop acting like he is heads above Hart Hanson? Pot, Kettle, Black. I may not agree with how B/B got together, but at least they are, and I’m willing to forgive S6 to see how it is actually *handled*. Perhaps Marlowe should copy *that* for the Caskett fans, instead.

44. IsleGirl says:

So frustrating. I don’t know why they have to do “love interests.” Just let it be.

45. Mike says:

The spoiler does not mention that Castle will get together with her, only that she is interested in him. So she may aggressively pursue Castle, and he may agree to go out on a date with her, but it may end at the end of the episode. Only to have her reappear as only a friend of Castle.

Also, this may occur when Beckett is still with Josh, or broke up with him and does not tell Castle. If Beckett does not drop Josh, why should Castle pursue someone not interested in him (as far as he knows)? It makes Beckett get off the fence and actually come out and say the words, provide a reasonable situation in which tension will occur. Castle may just go out with her at first to talk to someone about Beckett, and then it may bloom from there (especially if Beckett does not approach Castle about her feelings for him).

I thought that the Bones writers handled Hannah wrong, but she did prompt Bones to make some decisions about her life. Hannah was a decent character and got the wrong end of the deal in regards to fans. If the writers can make her believable then I can accept this pitstop; as even the producers have said that Beckett and Castle will get together.

• Templar says:

IMO the reason for the Hannah hatred was the unpopularity of the actress portraying her. Winnick is a very polarizing actress.

• dftwinkie says:

Actually, I didn’t hate Hannah or the storyline so much as the absolutely shoddy resolution — Booth proposed to prove he’s got a bigger whatever than Sweets? That was the point at which I gave on Bones. And skipping straight to pregnant and playing house won’t bring me back. It didn’t help that with all the concentration on the love triangle the cases got boring as well, and I doubt that will improve with both Bones and Angela dragging their sprogs around.

• Jill says:

Castle shouldn’t get a new love interest because he just told Beckett ILU. If he chases another woman now, he just as shallow as Beckett thought he was.

I thought the problem with the Hannah arc is that she ended up being a much better partner for Booth than Bones. Having seen Booth/Hannah, I never want to see him with Bones.

46. Kat says:

LOVE nathan Fillion :)

47. Leigh says:

To me she looks like an OLD Laura Prepon, (sorry if the spelling is incorrect)the actress who played Nikki Heat.

I just want Castle to be here! Bring on September 19 so the bickering and speculation from the fans can end. Let’s just enjoy the show for what it is – lots of fun.

48. Sammy says:

Terri Edda Miller (Marlowe’s wife, producer, and writer) just tweeted ….
    “Ya know shippers, don’t pay too much attention to the spoilers. They are there to poke and prod you. You’ll like the episode. It’s fun.”
    Can anyone say “damage control”?! Yes I tend not to believe any showrunners, EPs.

49. Ashley says:

Ugh, no thanks. We’ve already been down this road with Josh, Gina, and that detective in the second season whose name I can’t remember – I don’t mind more complications/road blocks in the Castle-Beckett relationship, but can’t they do something they HAVEN’T done before?

• Sammy says:

Det. Tom Demming.
      There are so many other obstacles they can use besides this tired a$$ significant other mess!
      *Alexis feelings over the shooting and her fathers safety.
      *The new Capt.
      *Beckett’s possible PTSD from the shooting.
      *The files Montgomery mailed and who he mailed them to.
      *Montgomery’s betrayal.