Scoop: Law & Order: SVU Snags Andre Braugher... as a Love Interest For Benson?

Andre Braugher is in negotiations for a recurring role on Law & Order: SVU.

The Emmy winner would play an attorney for the underprivileged who may get close to Mariska Hargitay’s Det. Benson.

This marks Braugher’s most significant stint on a crime drama since his Homicide days and his first TV gig since the cancelation of his critically praised TNT drama Men Of a Certain Age.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop

1. Dee says:

Ugh. No thanks. Benson can do so much better than that.

• NickC says:

wow….race is still an issue.Who would have guessed….This man is an outstanding actor and i think this is the best news i have heard involving this show for a long time..

• Casey says:

Race has nothing to do with it. The dude’s just not attractive. And Dee is right, Olivia could do soooooo much better!

• Anita L. says:

What is attractive to you? This guy’s smile is the sexiest on TV!!! I personally love intelligence and homor as well as depth in a man! Andre’s got it all!!!

• Alex says:

Yeah, it wasn’t about race – to me it’s racist for you to immediately assume it’s about race.

My first thought was “oh my god he’s too OLD for Benson”

• Dave says:

That’s funny because race was not even mentioned until you made that comment. Who’s rasist now.

• Anita L. says:

Yes, Nick! “Men of a Certain Age’s” loss is “SVU’s” gain! I love Andre Braugher. One of today’s most tallented and versatile actors and my favorite! Good move NBC!!! He was great as “House’s ” psychiatrist recently. Loved him as Owen in “Men…”. He was complicated in “Hack”. Go, Andre!!!

2. GreenJay says:

Yes! I would love to see Andre Braugher back on a popular series. He’s a great actor!

• Templar says:

He is indeed a fine actor and deserves better than a role on a show that is in it’s death throes. It’s time to put SVU out of it’s misery.

3. Kz says:

Honestly? He looks like he’s 70. Noooo thanks.

4. Kate says:

Oh, what I would give to have Andre back as Pembleton. But I’m glad he’ll be on a show that will put his gravitas to good work.

5. JohnDoe says:

So…is Munch just going to pretend he’s never seen him before??…

6. Nikko says:

Well, no, thanks. Benson is doing okay the way she is.

Seems SVU is more of the same now, but under different management. Too bad.

7. Ashley says:

Oh please tell me this guy’s not gonna be her love interest! Don’t get me wrong, I want her to have a boyfriend but this guy? Seriously??? I honestly don’t understand why they can’t get Olivia a hot guy for once. She’s a beautiful woman and yet they always stick these old, unattractive guys on her. The more I hear about this season, the less I’m looking forward to it.

8. J says:

No thank you. Benson already has Cabot… ;)

9. Whitney says:

Well, that’s even worse.

10. Chad says:

Cmon why can’t he play Pembleton!

• HGFM says:

Because Pembleton is no longer a police officer. He left the Baltimore Homicide unit and went to teach at a Jesuit university. He came back briefly to assist in solving the murder of Lt. Giardello in the Homicide movie.

• Pat D. says:

I dunno if Pembleton the character would ever consider it, but since he isnt a detective anymore, and this role calls for a lawyer, not a cop, Andre *COULD* be Pembleton.

11. Jennifer says:

Just kill me now.

12. carolyn says:

Fabulous. I loved him on Homicide. Had a hard time liking Men of a Certain Age. Would love to see him back doing something good.

13. JS says:

OMG! He looks old enough to be her father…Maybe he just ‘befriends’ her or let’s hope so anyway!

14. Templar says:

She’s 2 years younger than him! Get real.

15. Ethel says:

I love Andre Braugher but not as a love interest for Olivia.Bring him back as Pembleton. Heck he still scares me when I watch reruns and he is interrogating someone!!

16. Lisa says:

LOVE Andre Braugher! Too bad I don’t watch this show. Homicide is one of my favorite shows of all time.

17. Jax says:

Jeeze! Why are you people getting so upset. They pull this same crap all the time and it never amounts to anything. Remember a few years ago they made such a HUGE deal about Bill Pullman coming in as a love interest for Olivia and we saw him like twice on the show for a total of 3 minutes and then he disappeared forever.

It’s all hype. Settle down.

18. Gemmond says:

SVU would be lucky to have an actor of his caliber, regardless of the role he assumes.

As for looks, it’s relative. Munch is not hot and he’s always seemed to have girlfriends (Homicide).

When will folks get it: Looks are relative and he’s got a compelling personality in whoever he plays.

He’d be a great match for ‘livy

19. O'Brien says:

You know, Richard Belzer is still on SVU as Det. Munch, a character which originated on Homicide. I would freaking FLIP OUT if they brought Braugher in to reprise his role of Det. Pendelton (also from Homicide) – watching Pendelton in “the box” was always beyond amazing.

20. Alex says:

He’s a great actor and I’m sure he’ll be fantastic on the show, but Andre Braugher just looks too old for Benson! Someone else commented that he’s only 2 years older, but the hair just makes him look too old for her. Well, we’ll see where it goes, I guess… ;)

21. Babygate says:

Oh no!!! He looks way too old for Benson, even if he really isn’t. And, well, she’s like a 10 and he isn’t. She should be with someone at least almost as attractive as she is.

22. Jenn says:

This is a horrible idea. SVU has Detective John Munch from HOMICIDE. Andre Braugher played Detective Frank Pembleton on HOMICIDE. Apparently, canon means nothing. I’ve been hoping for some Homicide guest spots on SVU for years, but I guess they’re just hoping we’ll forget Munch (the character, not just the actor) came from that show.

23. ken says:

Google him for better pics, i could see him with liv

24. LaLa says:

He’s a phenomenal actor! Benson is down with the swirl, me likey. Lemme guess they get married and she takes a leave, enters Kelly Giddish.

25. Pat D. says:

I’m puzzled at the weird “love interest” angle as well, but the man can friggin act…if you dont want to spend a couple weeks sifting through the excellent “Homicide” library, just go look at his short stint on House where he stole every scene he was in opposite Laurie. Will be great to see him on SVU in any capacity.

• Anita L. says:

I so agree with you, Pat!Andre Braugher bring class and depth to any role or movie or show he’s in. That’s no accident! He’s a great actor!

26. blingedup.susan says:

No, no, NO!!! I haven’t yet given up on the hope that Men of a Certain Age will be picked up by another network. Or that TNT will come to their senses and renew the best show on television. Andre needs to stay available for Season 3.

• Bill Dauphin says:

I absolutely agree with that: MoaCA is one of the best scripted shows I’ve ever seen, and I’d love to have it back for at least one more season.

That said, these “save my favorite cancelled show” campaigns rarely work out, and I’d rather have Braugher on TV than not. As for the crowd saying “ewww” to him and Benson getting together, I say grow up. Age isn’t really an issue (what’s 2 years between adults?), and his appearance is a trivial reason to write off a relationhsip (this is L&O:SVU, after all, not Gossip Girl or Grey’s Anatomy; since when have we cared about pretty?). I think there really is an element of (mostly unconscious, I’m sure) racism in people’s immediate rejection of the idea. Just my $0.02, of course….

27. Doug-H says:

Hey guys…. have you ever looked at IMDB on actors in the 50′s and 60′s who played 4-5 different guest roles on the same series??? Long running shows like the L&O’s used the same actor many times in different roles… Heck…. people complained this spring when CI used an actor as the Major Crimes Captain who was a bad guy in an earlier season….

28. Nicole says:

Warren Weight has already said not to read too much into this. Besides, Alex Cabot is back. That’s all Benson needs to get her back on track.

• Lexi says:

This. A/O forever!

• sarah says:

umm nooo…shes crushed since elliot’s left..alex has nothing to do with it…soo they bring her back..that wont help at all…really…nothing aginst pple who like a/obut really wut r u watching??? i dont see that happening…ever..

29. Cathy says:

SVU is my favorite show. I had always hoped Olivia would get together

30. Cathy says:

SVU is my favorite show. I had always hoped to see Olivia and Elliot would get together

31. William says:

As a 21 yr. member of Actor’s Equity Association, the stage actor’s union, I consider Mr. Braugher one of the best actors in the world, of any age, sex, or race. The man is BRILLIANT. Any should should count themselves LUCKY to have him. All the nay-sayers will be eating crow as soon as they see him do his job on screen. I predict 90% of them will easily be won over.

32. jimmy says:

Bring him back as Pembleton who after an inevitable divorce moved to NYC to be near his kids. In H:LOTS The movie, he was teaching criminal justice. Bring that into it.

33. lindsey says:

i was hoping to see liv get with the new DA!i think his name is cutter? theyd be cute togther. this guy….no thanks. he looks soo much older than her! but of course, my e/o ship will never sink :)

34. Cd says:

I still mourn for Homicide :LOTS and Pembleton but would take this role. He is an amazing actor with class,talent and sex appeal. It would take someone with his charm to win o er Benson.

35. kimberly allred says:

I totally agree.Olivia can do a trillion times better.

36. kim allred says:

She can do a trillion times better. Now if it was Morgan from Criminal Minds oh Hell yeah He is HOT.

37. kim allred says:

Yeah why don’t they get a hot guy on there for Olivia. They are always sticking her with ugly ones. Damn if they want to put her with a ugly guy then to bring back Dean Porter. But they can do better hell get Dermot Mulroiney on there as Olivias love intrest.

38. kim allred says:

Yeah no joke. Please Olivia is straight people DUH get a life.