Fall TV Preview

Meet the Survivor: South Pacific Cast! Who Gets Your Early, Superficial Vote?

You don’t have to wait for some enchanted evening to meet the bulk of the Survivor: South Pacific cast. We’ve got your photos and bios right here!

In addition to the 16 folks shown below — including a mortician, a marijuana salesman, a (female) lingerie football player and Survivor vet Russell Hantz’s nephew — CBS will release later this week the names two “former castaways who will return to seek redemption.” (Warning: Someone in the Comments may spoil that reveal.)

What else is there to tell you, hmm…. Well, the tribes will be called Savaii and Upolu (named after the two islands of Samoa), and the Redemption Island twist will again be in play, when South Pacific premieres Wednesday, Sept. 14, at 8/7c, with a 90-minute opener. (A video of the cast introducing themselves can be found here.)

Comments (29)

• Brandon Hantz, from Katy Texas, is that Russel’s son or nephew?

Comment by Dave – August 22, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nephew.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 22, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As reported elsewhere, the returning cast members are Coach and Ozzy.

Comment by renton – August 22, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, it didn’t even take 5 minutes. You just had to spoil it.

I mean, I know who’s returning, but you don’t have to be an idiot and spoil it to everybody else. If people wanna find it, they’ll Google it.

Comment by Chmarin – August 22, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? if that is true than thats kinda disappointing. I mean, I love Ozzy but for some reason, I was expecting the returnees to be previous castmembers that really mastered the social game//manipulations like Boston Rob and Russell had done in the past. Ozzy is good at challenges and thats pretty much it and Coach… is good at… campfire stories.

Comment by Paco – August 22, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I’m actually glad it’s not someone who has mastered the social game. I don’t want to see a repeat of last season, because it was the worst season since Fiji. It was absolutely ridiculous.

This type of casting just doesn’t work – adding a few veterans to an original cast. It also completely messed up this year’s Big Brother. The whole season ends up focusing on the returning people, and the new ones just seem like extras. And don’t even get me started on the Redemption Island thing. That’s, no doubt, the single worst twist in Survivor history. It’s even dumber than the medallion of power. The entire game of Survivor loses its foundation – voting people off the tribe. What’s the point of tribal councils, then? And they made it even worse at the end of last season when they didn’t even say who was returning and when, once the blonde Jesus guy came back. It was like, now we’ll have three people and no competition, then we’ll add a fourth and have one sent home, then we’ll add another one, then we’ll bring one back in the game… It was pointless and misleading and it felt rigged.

Comment by Chmarin – August 22, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank God for not letting Parv, Amanda or Amber return.
          Coach is a likeable lunatic [not half as mad as phillip was] and as for Ozzy, it’s been a long time.. so it’s gotta feel fresh. Bring ‘em on. I say!

Comment by Remmez – August 23, 2011 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ABSOLUTELY agree – having Rob back last season ruined the show for me. There was no drama, he ran it from beginning to end, and then they tried to make us feel sorry for him (“I’ve been playing this game for 10 years…just want to provide for my family”. WTF? I’ve been a fan from the beginning, and was ready to completely give up on it after last season. I’m tentatively going to give it another shot – but am quite wary. Bringing back original cast members (whether I like them or not) throws the whole basis of the show off.

Comment by Ted – August 23, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alot of people who appear to be very book-smart. Med students, Harvard Law students, morticians. I wonder how they will fare againist the others.
    Ozzy was a master at challenges, if he pairs up with someone smart, like the NYPD detective, he could go far.
    And seriously? Coach again? Enough with this guy!

Comment by Mandy – August 22, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, if its anything like cook islands, they could make it to the top

Comment by fiona – August 22, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just for the fact that he’s Hantz nephew, if Upolu loses first, he’ll be the first to go. Favorite to make it far is Keith. Favorite of the returning is probably Ozzy. They’ll keep him around for challenges, but unless he makes a strong alliance, will be gone once they merge. Coach will be a very polarizing character. He’ll either be gone right away because they can’t stand him or they’ll make sure he makes it far as the dummy vote, ala the FBI agent last season

Comment by fiona – August 22, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How will they know he’s Russell’s nephew? I doubt he’s gonna announce it. In fact, on EWs story, it says above that he was going to have Russell be his visitor from home, but changed his mind because he didn’t want people to know.

Comment by sarcasmo – August 22, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He may not tell anyone, but there might be enough of a family resemblance and maybe their accents match up, that another contestant suspects it…

Comment by ultimate troll – August 23, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks diverse enough to make it more interesting than the last few seasons but I hate that they brought Russel’s nephew, if I don’t see another Hantz in my life I’d be happy. I love it that we finally got fans that actually applied and not the mactors from the last seasons.

Comment by nonabgo – August 22, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are the hotties?????? My vote, so far, is for Keith, though his legs look like tree trunks.

Comment by jrs – August 22, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A friend of John posted about him being on the show on a forum I frequent, and I noted that usually the “Ivy League” people are considered arrogant by default, and in a lot of cases come in thinking that they’re smarter than everyone.

The friend said that he’s a pretty down to earth guy and understands not to come across that way, and also that he has a blunt wit and a great dry sense of humor. So i’m pretty excited to see if he’ll make me laugh – if so, he’s my favorite.

Comment by Brett – August 22, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Ozzy and Coach and well buzz is… let just say if you through Rob C tribe rolling over and allowing him to win a million bucks was stupid get ready for more stupidlity……

Comment by Paul8148 – August 22, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I”m really hoping that Whitney Duncan wins. Finally got a women with BRAINS on there.

Comment by RJM – August 22, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only one hot guy this season? I would lick Albert all over.

Comment by Jon – August 23, 2011 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh ! NOT coach. I hate that guy. His 15 mins are soooo long over – he needs to go away

Comment by MJ – August 23, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coach? Really?? Enough already!! Let’s hope he gets voted off as quickly as Russell did.

Comment by susela – August 23, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pulling for John & Keith to become a core alliance, hopefully pulling in Ozzy as well!

Comment by Michael – August 23, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christine looks like Libby (Cynthia Watros) from Lost o:! She’s the only person who gets my superficial vote, haha.

Comment by Mellie – August 23, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A pot seller and a “spoken word”. A wanna see just one season of big strong real men and women, no weasles, floaters, flirts and liars just strong competitors who pick off the weak ones week after week.

Comment by sunny – August 23, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone looks ready for a fine week in South Pacific.
    That is leave the pne leaning on the tree
    with the Cheshire cat grin home.

Comment by Vic – August 24, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone looks ready for a fine week in South Pacific.
    That is leave the one leaning on the tree
    with the Cheshire cat grin home.

Comment by Vic – August 24, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quit bringing back people who have already been on the show. Last year with Rob and his smirky face being on AGAIN just about did it for me. Anymore of that and I am through watching. I might make it through another year of coach if he doesn’t last too long.

Comment by Bob – August 24, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be a good show if they just had all men or all women

Comment by Mary – September 1, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the original draws of “reality” programming was the fresh faces and personalities and how they would react in the Survivor environment. I for one am tired of “reality stars”. I say get rid of the veterans and give me back my fresh faces.

Comment by Scott – September 13, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post