NCIS Scoop! An Abs-solute Surprise Is Among Season 9's Many Family Reunions

As CBS’ NCIS unspools its ninth season and inches ever closer to its its 200th episode (airing this winter), TV’s most-watched scripted series will reunite viewers with some familiar, familial faces as well as introduce new ones — including someone holding a key to Abby’s (Pauley Perrette) mysterious past.

NCIS Exclusive: Scott Wolf G-Mans Up! Plus Scoop on the Season Premiere’s Big ‘Bang’

“R.J. [Robert] Wagner is coming back [as Tony's dad], Ralph Waite will come back [as Gibbs' father]…,” executive producer Gary Glasberg tells TVLine. “We’re going to reopen the NCIS family album.”

NCIS Scoop: Lily Tomlin Reveals that McGee’s Grandmother Is a [Spoiler]!

New entries in said scrapbook include Lily Tomlin (Laugh-In), guest-starring as McGee’s grandmother, and Abby’s yet-to-be-cast brother.

Teasing the long-awaited venture into the enigmatic Ms. Sciuto’s backstory, Glasberg says, “We’re going to learn something about Abby’s family and background that no one is going to see coming — and we’re very excited about that.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Both NCIS Shows, Two CSIs, and More

NCIS premieres its new season on Tuesday, Sept. 20; Abby’s backstory will be explored somewhere “in the first six episodes,” says Glasberg.

In what way do you think Abby’s past will be surprising?

1. Karen says:

I’ve always thought that Abby would be Gibbs’ daughter …

2. secondbecky says:

I am gonna guess that Abby comes from a family that is even wealthier than Tony’s (was supposed to be). Very preppy, very well connected, very Martha’s Vineyard and Lilly Pulitzer.

• Steven says:

I totally agree. Though I feel it’s kind of a cop out. The obvious “no one will see this coming.” Of course the goth Abby will have a preppy family. I hope they don’t do it and give us something to really surprise.

3. Jasmine says:

I think Abby’s New Orleans roots will include African American family members. Would also love to see more of Director Vance family, especially his wife (Paula Newsome).

4. verver says:

I think Abby’s family will be very straight-laced or religious.

• sladewilson says:

I don’t know if that would count as a surprise given the fact that Abby has mentioned that she is a church-goer and she hangs out with the nuns (her bowling buds). I’m hoping they really shock us with something good since Abby’s rarely, if ever, taken off her game…

• southernurse says:

Abby plays bowling with the nuns every week. So that proves that Abby is very religious, so why would that be suprising.

5. Kate says:

I hope her family is Amish.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That is precisely what I suggested to Gary Glasberg when we spoke.

• znachki says:

Except that she’s talked about driving some relative’s pick up truck when she was a kid, so while it doesn’t preclude Amish, it makes it a bit more difficult to go there. I suppose they can do a retcon, but I hope not.

6. Jeff M. says:

I have loved this show from the very first ep. I knew from the beginning that this was going to be a smash hit for cbs. I love Abby and can’t wait to see Kate in the 200th ep.

7. Andrea says:

I’m going with Abby’s parents were not only deaf, so was she. She decided to have a cochlear implant in her early teens. Her parents approved, and she was still young enough to develop a typical speech pattern with intense therapy. A little “out there,” but possible for TV.

• Meg says:

That’s more than “a little ‘out there'” if that were the case. It’d be pretty obvious that she had a cochlear after being born deaf because her entire speech, syntax, and vocal patterns would be entirely different. Although I do agree there should be more characters in television and film with hearing disability, particularly ones with hearing aids or at least those that don’t use the cochlear to get around the communication issues. It’s sometimes a lonely world with hearing aids as we’re considered not part of the Deaf community but not part of the hearing community.

8. Randi says:

I bet it will be that Abby was the victim of abuse/rape when she was younger. Never finding her rapist explains her interest in forensics(to help others find theirs) and they could claim that the tattoos cover the scars, both litterally and figuratively.

Sometime during those “first six episodes” could be a current rape case that brings up a old rape case= Abby.

9. Clarissa says:

Can’t wait to find out more about Abby. FINALLY. I can’t even begin to speculate what the secret could be. It could be anything I guess since we don’t know much about her to begin with.

10. Barnswallow says:

A murdered/accused sailor turns out to be her son that she gave up for adoption when she was 16?

11. me says:

What next, Palmer’s Aunt from Wisconsin who’s addicted to cheese?

Come on, NCIS, stop sucking!

12. Erynn says:

I have always thought that she could either be Gibbs’ long-lost daughter (hence the reason why he knows ASL) -or- Ducky’s long-lost daughter. Or, what if she is somehow related to old boss Tom Morrow? Any revelations/reveals will be EPIC! :-]

13. dallaswba says:

I imagined Abby’s Dad to be a close marine buddy of Gibbs’ who died and asked Gibbs to watch over her. Would explain his care for her as well as the familiarity.

14. Vikki says:

I think Abby will have a twin brother she never knew about. Like separated at birth or something.

15. znachki says:

I’m going with her coming from a family of career criminals or grifters.

16. Elynn says:

Things we know about Abby can be found on Wikapedia in the background section and is footnoted by episode.

17. Renee says:

Really looking forward to this!

18. Hemo_jr says:

Jeanne Benoit needs to come back, as a permanent addition.

19. jill says:

Call me crazy, but I’d like to see an Abby/McGee romance.

20. Dee says:

So are we finally going to find out why Abbey dresses like a moody 13 year old?

• ultimate troll says:

You should get your eyes checked. She’s got WAY too much style for any teen to pull off and she makes her fashion choices seem like they’re fun and joyful. And stop posting like a moody 13 year old.

• Dee says:

Oh, I see you love Abbey, my apologies. I’m posting as a grumpy 40 year old who knows she would never in a lifetime be allowed to work there in those Hot Topic get ups. And she should by all rights be in her 30s so it’s irritating to see her acting like a big teenager. I guess it’s supposed to be cute and endearing but it’s not.

• Jenna86 says:

The actress who plays Abby is 42! Say what you want, but the girl looks great!

• Mike says:

She works in a world of damages and outrageous, so whether a fictional character or not, she can be who she wants to be. As for myself… I think she is totally hot.

21. BUCK says:

Will Abby be who Tony will be investgating at the beginning of the new season? Inquiring minds want to know.

22. Mel says:

I happen to like the interplay between Tony and Ziva= Tiva. I don’t think they will ever get together, but I would like to see Jeanne return. A woman Tony really loved and I think they would be a good match, sorry Zahndy, I just like this series. So much so I have nicknamed my great grandson “Probie” Just keep episodes comming

23. dotsiem says:

perfect person to play her brother is Steve Valentine – they have similiar features.

24. Pat says:

I’m just thankful that NCIS will have a storyline that isn’t about Tony, Gibbs or Vance.

25. vrtv says:

I thought Abby has mentioned a brother in the past. Either on an episode during season one or two. Anyone remember?

26. Ziva and Abby are sisters. Her dad put Abby in a convent and was raised by Nuns.Ziva worked with her dad ,doing you know what ! Gibbs knows about them both! Abby loves dogs,Ziva loves guns . Hows that ?

27. Sandy says:

What if Abby is the one selling secrets? You know, the one Tony is supposed to be investigating… I mean if Abby is being investigated, her family (brother) would come out in the limelight, right?

28. sami says:

im guessing her brother is deaf.. how else does she know sign language?

29. Sue says:

I’d like to see Gibbs meet wife #5

30. Sue says:

Wife #5 could be one of the terrorists they’re after. Poor Gibbs.

31. Daughter of a Marine says:

I really want to see Tony and Ziva get together in a more personal sense instead of a little nookie here and there. It’s like they’re constantly fighting their sexual tension. They’re meant for each other.

32. gibbsgurl says:

No way Gibbs meets #5 — unless it’s me! Lol. I think his character will stay single. No one could ever fill (1st wife) Shannon’s shoes. All others were just mistakes. He’s happy with his work and NCIS family.

33. Madster says:

So freaking excited for the new season!!! I can guess but I really don’t have a clue about what Abby’s secret is gonna be. I’m glad they are going into Team Gibbs’ family again, it’s a good subject for the show. :-)

34. Redneck Custodian says:

The writers do a fantastic job, let us not sack them for the occasional slip. If Abby is the oldest siblilng, her brother could feasably be a 5 yrs old. A good guess would be a deaf younger sibling, not neccessarily her brother. It would be cool if he were on a sebatical from a prehisoric dig site. It would tie the two of them together. By the way, who cleans the rest rooms and changes the light bulbs in all these shows. I never see a “Closed for cleaning” sign.

35. I do accept as true with all of the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies. May you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.