Jimmy Fallon Booked for SNL Return

There are only 126 shopping days until Christmas, and eight fewer until Jimmy Fallon returns to his old stomping grounds to host the Dec. 17 episode of Saturday Night Live.

“I’ve never forgotten where I came from,” Fallon said in a release. “That’s why I’m so incredibly honored to be hosting the Saturday Night Times program December 17th on HGTV.”

Fallon, who spent six years as an SNL cast member, now serves as host of NBC’s Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, which received three 2011 Emmy nominations, including its first in the best variety, music or comedy series category. Michael Buble will be SNL‘s musical guest on the night of Fallon’s return.

SNL previously announced its first two guest hosts for its upcoming 37th Season: Alec Baldwin (with musical guest Radiohead) on Sept. 24 and Melissa McCarthy (joined by Lady Antebellum) on Oct. 1.

1. Nick says:

IS that supposed to be AleC Baldwin?

2. brandy says:

Love this news (although I had hoped his “Monday announcement” would be something more like he was returning to Weekend Update.) Jimmy’s one of my favorite people on TV.

3. Rochelle says:

If they had Tina Fey come on and do a weekend update, I would be do happy

• Bob says:

Have to agree with you. Weekend Update with Fallon and Fey was great. With Fey and Poehler it was very good. With Poehler and Meyers it was good. With Meyers only, it’s often fair, at best. I liken this incarnation to the Kevin Nealon or Colin Quinn years. But time marches on, and hopefully one day it will be great again with new hosts (yeah, right).

4. Scott says:

Family Guy beat NBC to it, because Fallon hosted a fictional episode where the Griffin family band was the musical guest. The episode aired SIX YEARS AGO.

5. JD says:

i hope JT is in town, because if i don’t see The Barry Gibb Talk Show, i’m going to be seriously disappointed.

6. abc123 says:

Saturday night TIMES? HGTV? Did Fallon take a bong hit before he wrote the release?

7. Lindsay says:

If JT and Horatio stop by, the show would have Barry Gibb Talk Show, Jarret’s Room, an obligatory performance of “I Wish It Was Christmas Today,” and perhaps “Dick In A Box Part 2.” The show’s already half written!

8. Erin says:

If he doesn’t sing the Christmas song, he’s dead to me!

9. Lauren says:

Of course he’s hosting. They showed this in a 1998 episode where Alec Baldwin hosted and went into the future to 2011 where Jimmy was a big star and was hosting SNL.

I would have been so disappointed if they had forgotten that.

• Lindsay says:

Lauren, you are officially my hero for remembering this! Hopefully Alec, Jimmy and the writers remember it too :)

• jackie says:

i was honestly gonna post about that. when i saw the Monday announcement on his twitter i was like maybe he is actually hosting for the Christmas special. lets just hope there will be a lot of guest stars

10. Linda says:

SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS!!! :) :) :)

11. Casey says:

I’m so excited for this! The Barry Gibb Talk Show NEEDS to happen! I’m so glad he’s finally hosting! He’s returned for random sketches, and that was great. But it’s time he finally had the show all to himself. :D

12. paulinececil says:

That’s why I’m so incredibly honored to be hosting the Saturday Night Times program December 17th on HGTV,” Fallon joked in his statement.