The Glee Project Season Finale Recap: And the Winner Is...

After 40,000 applicants, 12 contestants, 10 weeks of performances, and four evenly matched finalists, the inaugural season of Oxygen’s The Glee Project has reached its undeniably surprising conclusion. There were showtunes and big band tunes and even a Dolly Parton tune before a twist that was worthy of a Law & Order “chung-chung.” And the winner is…Samuel Larsen. And the winner is also…Damian McGinty.

Yes, indeed, Glee co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy dropped a bombshell at the end of Sunday night’s season finale that both Samuel and Damian had won respective seven-episode arcs on Season 3 of the Glee mothership.

What’s more, fellow finalists Lindsay Pearce and Alex Newell scored pretty darn enviable consolation prizes — each winning two-episode guest arcs when Glee‘s action returns to the fictional William McKinley High School on Tuesday, Sept. 20.

For folks who love sad, tearful reality TV exits, Murphy’s “gold stars for everyone!” decision was the worst possible outcome. But after a season in which eliminations felt arbitrary at best and infuriating at worst, I thought the finale played out like a sweet, satisfying dessert that came close to salvaging an otherwise inconsistent meal. I mean, it’s not like Glee‘s third season was ever going to play out without new and recurring characters entering the fray. And with Samuel, Damian, Lindsay, and Alex all bringing something worthwhile to the high-profile audition process of The Glee Project, why not reward all four unknowns instead of handing out another gig to a Gwyneth Paltrow or a Charice or a John Stamos, right?

Glee Project’s Samuel Larsen on Christianity, Sexuality, and Cutting His Trademark Hair

The finale kicked off with a low-stakes homework assignment in “Glee-ality” that involved the final four — backed by their eight fallen comrades — performing “Don’t Stop Believing.” Not knowing we were headed in a kumbaya direction, I wondered if Mr. Murphy’s presence so early in the episode — and with a bejeweled skull on his back, no less! — meant one of our final four would get booted before the video shoot, but nope, everyone moved on up, quite literally.

The week’s video shoot found The Glee Project Top 12 sent directly to the roof of a 35-story building to perform Pink’s “Raise Your Glass.” Once again, Samuel wasn’t immediately booted from the competition for wearing his hideous hot-pink shorts to choreography rehearsal, while vocal coach Nikki Anders continued her inexplicable tradition of going all weak-kneed over Damian’s slurry-gruff vocals. And then we got a moment of minor drama when Alex took an unnecessary dig at Samuel for generously warning his competitors to exercise caution on the tongue-twisting “come on and come on and come on” portion of the ditty. (Side note: I actually thought Emily and Marissa stood out in the finished video, but maybe it’s just because they were my favorites in the competition and went home too soon. Anyone else with me on this matter?)

Glee Project Winner Damian McGinty Talks Sinatra, Jane Lynch, and His Almost Elimination

As with the homework assignment, the video shoot seemed to play very little role in the judges’ final decision, and instead it came down to the “Sing for Ryan Murphy and the Judges” round, which was expanded to “Sing for Ryan Murphy and the Judges and the Bulk of The Glee Project Season 1 Mentors.” (Raise that Gospel hand, Jenna Ushkowitz!)

The added twist was that this time around, contestants chose their own numbers, instead of performing what was assigned to them by the judges.

Lindsay was pretty astonishing on “Gimme Gimme” (from Thoroughly Modern Millie), and while she’s had to fight the “unlikable, too-driven, inauthentic, shrew-diva” edit all season, there’s no denying she’s got a powerhouse instrument and knows how to imbue every line of a song with theatricality and meaning. By comparison, Damian’s “Beyond the Sea” felt a little lightweight (and a lot hammy) — as Nikki told him beforehand, dude is “not the best singer, dancer, or actor” — but he melted the judges’ hearts by dedicating his performance to booted buddies Hannah and Cameron. Plus, I suppose from a purely commercial standpoint, it won’t hurt the Glee franchise to add another cast member whose adorable grin and perfect tresses have the potential to move a serious number of lunchboxes and t-shirts and posters and Trapper-Keepers. (Ryan Murphy had better make good on that promise to have Brittany find his character’s Irish accent completely unintelligible.)

Alex, meanwhile, performed his Dreamgirls ditty outfitted in drag that was decidedly more Doubtfire than Priscilla, and while there’s no denying the kid can hit his notes, I just wish he wasn’t always using a blunt object to do it. (Note to Ian Brennan: If bravery is wearing a dour wig and an unflattering fuchsia cardigan, then let’s get Alex the medal of honor!)

Samuel’s “Jolene,” however, was the weakest vocal of the episode — and his occasional pronunciation of “Jaw-lene” did him no favors, if you ask me — but what bugged me most was his substitution of the line “do whatever you wanna do, Jolene” in place of “whatever you decide to do, Jolene.” Seriously, the entire song is a desperate plea begging Jolene not to take the protagonist’s man; suddenly instructing her — mid-song! — to simply do as she wishes just doesn’t make an iota of sense.

Ah well, who’s keeping score anyway? As Ryan Murphy reminded us, the final decision wasn’t based on “any of [the contestants’] individual talents, it’s about the needs of the show.”

And thus we got a winner. And a second winner. And two other lesser winners. Whether or not the Glee mothership will also win when Samuel, Damian, Lindsay, and Alex hop aboard this fall, well, only time will tell. But I could think of worse ways to end this diversionary summer Project.

And now I turn it over to you to hit the comments and share your thoughts on The Glee Project‘s entire freshman season and its conclusion. What did you think of the show? How about that surprise twist: Genuinely sweet or sickeningly so? Did the right people win? If not, who deserved the grand prize? Sound off below! And come back to TVLine tomorrow for my Q&As with Samuel, Damian, Lindsay, and Alex.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Alyssa says:

Well played, Ryan Murphy. Though some may deserve to be on the show more than others, I am glad you gave all four opportunities on your show :)

This is gonna be a great season of Glee.

• DL says:

Agreed. Ryan Murphy, my hat’s off to you.

• Stephanie says:

I half expected Ryan Murphey to turn around after giving the 2-episode wins to Lindsey and Alex and tell all the off’ed contestants that they, too, won and would be given parts.

I’m confused as to why they did this show to begin with? Did they need to excite people into watching? Because it’s viewership hasn’t gone anywhere and people will watch no matter who is on it. He could have cast all 12 of the contestants with the few that wouldn’t be graduating and we’d accept them all, eventually. Instead, we are going in with preconceived notions on these kids, who will not be what their characters are. It was a silly idea, IMO, but I still watched. I enjoy Glee, I enjoyed the Glee Project because it seemed like a Glee II, but really just wish he had cast a few of them. Not having Matteaus, Hannah and Marissa be in the cast just makes me sad. I honestly would rather have those 3 than Lindsey and Alex, and the fact that I know they didn’t get it will hamper my enjoyment of who did. Had I not be introduced to them, I would have enjoyed Alex and Lindsey more.

• Michael says:

Making money off of a pop culture phenom, while it still in face is a phenom, is never “silly”. Also, the viewership has almost tripled since the first episode, so your statement regarding viewership not going anywhere is completely false.

I enjoyed getting to know the actors before getting to know the characters. Damien is a terrific young man and I will enjoy him all the more, no matter his character. From everything that Ryan said during this show, it doesn’t strike as probable that the characters he’ll create won’t, in some way, resemble the guys and gals who play them.

I enjoyed the Glee Project. I still think that Ryan M is a gigantic douche, but I loved the singing, getting some insight into Robert, Zach and the vocal coach and getting to know the newbies. It was a lot of fun.

• Kim says:

Ryan, you are so right about Samuel being a star. Eve though Cameron and Damian were my favorites, I could not take my eyes off Samuel any time he was on-screen. The “Can’t Touch This” video was the first hint I got that Samuel had the potential to win.

• JD says:

Yeah, but what’s the character? Of almost the entire original 12, Sam’s possible role on Glee has always puzzled me. He looks too old for the show, and he’s way too polished. It’s a great challenge for the writing staff, and I look forward to seeing how they pull it off. But I’m surprised that he beat Alex.

• Christina says:

I agree. But I do love that Damien co-won. He is amazing. <3

• Jack says:

I think Mr. Murphy and crew made a great decision, although I had a feeling, all along, that there would be multiple winners. Not too much of a surprise. I also love it when the whole “crew” came back to perform on the roof too. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

2. Jenna says:

That’s awesome! My dream came true! I love both!

• Dominique says:

i agree i was actually having a really hard time choosing between both of them cuz they have been my favorite with Cameron since the first episode!!

3. Taylor says:

I’m sure he’s going to get a lot of flak for this decision, but I LOVED IT!!!! I loved Samuel, Damian, and Lindsay all for different reasons, and really wanted to see all of them on the show. Alex I don’t really care for, but good for him.
    Fingers crossed that Marissa scored a role as well ;)

• JMere says:

This. Almost word for word. Especially the part about Marissa (though I suppose I’m being greedy since the others all got parts, lol).

• Lenny says:

My thoughts EXACTLY. Although Damian was my favorite, Sam and Lindsay won me over. Alex.. not so much. Loved seeing Marissa again as well.

• Drew says:

I’m with you. Marissa was #1 for me and Damian and Lindsay #2.

1) Marissa needs to get hired, damn it. Ryan himself even said it was a mistake to eliminate her… so FIX IT.

2)Lindsay desrves MORE than 2 episodes. seriously.

3) damian deserves more than 7. seriously. Damian and Lindsay should be the new rachel and finn.

4) good for alex, but i could do without him… sam too. I’d rather Marissa and Hannah had won those other arcs.

• Christy says:

I think the exact same thing you do! I loved the ending. It was unreasonably cheerful. I loved everyone but Alex, but eh, I’m glad he got in too. I do kinda with Lindsay had gotten the 7 but I’ll be happy with her two episodes.

I also really liked Marissa! I hope she gets work elsewhere if not Glee.

• Desdemona says:

I would have preferred Hannah or Marissa land in the top 4 over Alex, but I’m glad he didn’t win.

• Brittany says:

I hope Marissa gets on the show too. She was seriously the best and really popped on camera. She was my favorite by far and it would be terrible if she didn’t get on the show and somebody as unwatchable as Alex gets on.

4. Grace says:

1) Major cop-out
    2) I don’t know if I can take 7 episodes of Samuel and his smoldering stare of death

• dan says:

I’m not crazy about that either, but it will be interesting to see how he uses them, and which one lasts past seven episodes, if either do.

• rach says:

Hah hah. Smouldering stare of death. Agree, although not about hte cop out. I thought all the contestants really brought it this week, so I was okay.

• amanda says:

I’m with you!!!! I may just die

• H says:

I agree. Major cop out. Plus now there are 4 more guest stars for this year. Wow.

• WTF says:

I 100% agree. What a cop out! What was the problem with having ONE winner. Glee has so many characters as it is. Lordy, guess we’ll just have to wait 3 weeks to see how this will play out. I was really disapointed Sam got the 7 episode arc. I do wonder what characters Damien and Sam will play. Damien obvious exchange student, that exchanges out. Sam, maybe a bad boy, love interest for someone, maybe Quinn, easy to wrote out? Gets arrested or something. However, I’m guessing both will be around long enough for Sectionals. Maybe, thats were we see Lindsey and Alex with rival schools?

• Tarc says:

Actually, there were a LOT of winners – I certinaly am one: I get to see all four of them on Glee (and I’d happily add Hannah). And to be clear, the rpizes are a guaranteed number of weeks, not a maximum. Glee can choose to extend the runs of any of these folks as long as they’d like.

• Fred says:

Ugh, please. Dont make me think any of these people will be on longer than guarenteed. I might have nightmares.

• Tarc says:

Then I wish you many, many unpleasnt dreams.

• Lily says:

Same here

• Adriana says:

I wasn’t a huge fan of Samuel’s. I would have been really happy with Hannah, Cameron, Damian and Lindsay. Kind of surprised with Damian winning since he had a rough start but he’s so sweet I love him! I hope we can see other people who didn’t win in the show as well. I thought Emily was eliminated too soon, I was really shocked.

• Stephanie says:

Tarc is right. Both Norm and Cliff on Cheers were originally hired for 7 show arcs, both were on the entire 11 years.

I fully expect to see all 12 in some form in the show, even for 1 episode as a waiter or something, in a rival group at sectionals. ;)

• Lily says:

Love his stare of death… Even though I love the Glee underdog kids, but it would be great to have a “confident death stare” kid on the Glee club for a change … That could scare some bullies off…

• Amy says:

I think Samuel is perfect for this show. Like Ryan said, there is intensity & darkness there hence his sexy rocker stare, but there is a nice wholesomeness too. You can tell he really cares about people ane the music. Glee needs a real rocker for a change!

• William says:

This made me so unbelievably mad. Damian, who can’t act, dance, or lipsync, and whose accent was so thick he regularly needed subtitles, and who clearly sang the worst of the last chance performances, and Samuel, who can only ever make one facial expression, get 7 episodes while Lindsay, who is clearly the most all around talented individual there in terms of acting, singing, and dancing, only gets two episodes as a member of a separate school altogether? Absolute bull.

• Hols says:

This. Yes. x1,000,000

I love this recap by the way. It touches on everything that made me bitter about this show and made me swear to never allow Glee to darken my television again. I may have to change my mind, however, to see Lindsay on the show. A part for Marissa would also win back some of my goodwill. (Emily too, for that matter.)

• Ashley says:

Ha this is not just about the singing and acting and dancing example cory monteith can’t sing all that good and he really can’t dance at all and his acting leaves much to be desired but we still love him as finn. It’s about the character of the person and damien is charming and sweet and he is not bad at acting and pretty good at singing so I don’t see your problem with him. Lindsey may have had a good voice and strong acting but seriously after watching this show who wants to work with her she is a stuck up witch.

• Chris says:

I completely disagree that Damian can’t act. There’s a huge difference between being inexperienced as an actor (which is what Damian is) and not having the ability to act. If you compare his acting in the “Believability” episode to his acting in the earliest episodes, you can see that he had already improved a ton in just a matter of weeks. Who knows how much he’s improved in the 4 months since the GP finale if he’s been taking acting classes all this time?

• cheeriocub! says:

hahaha I completely agree!! ugh I can’t stand his stare! soo happy damian won and I wish ryan murphy would track down cameron and give him an arc too!

• William says:

Yeah, let’s continue rewarding mediocrity by giving an arc on a TV show to a guy so incredibly uncomfortable with acting that he couldn’t even kiss someone and then quit!

• Larry says:

And that is exactly the wrong message here. Judging a person strictly by their appearance and not the calibur of their character goes against everything Glee stands for. It’s too bad that message is lost on so many.

• Aunt Sassy says:

Well, given that Cameron won the viewers choice I’ll bet he still shows up on the show – although I for one hope he doesn’t. Sorry, but he’s A) not that talented and B) is a complete whiney snatch. Grow a pair and do the job you are there to do!

• JD says:

I hope they give Cameron an arc. I think he’s very interesting as well as very talented.

• Michael says:

In what way was it a cop-out? We still don’t know if Rachel, Finn, Kurt and a few others(Mike) will be back next season or part of a spinoff. This was a perfect opportunity to add fresh blood to a show that may need it if/when the others graduate. All 4 of them would fit in well.

You all can say what you want about Alex, but that boy has pipes and his last chance performances were always infused with emotion. Lindsay might be a beotch of a person(I wouldn’t make that determination since they clearly edited her that way), but she’s both a powerful singer and a terrific stage actress. I do not like Damian’s singing voice AT ALL. He’s average on his best day, but he’s adorable and despite my better judgment, I could help but root for him to win. Sam is a terrific singer and, yes, the stare of intensity got on my nerves, but he’s going to be surrounded by very talented actors and coaches who can work on that with him. Now, if they’d bring in Marissa and the Latina for a few episodes, I’d be thrilled.

• GJD says:

I am still confused to why Emily got cut so early? Is it that they didn’t want there to be another Santanna? I like Sam and I only like Damien winning because of the possible Brittney interactions. Lindsey and Rachel would be great on the show, as the Rachel Berry mini me. I wish they promoted Blacks on the show that weren’t all hefty and can blow a note. I was happy Alex didn’t win. Can we have a slim Black girl or boy with more to them than just powerful pipes? How about smarts, charisma? Something!

• jkrau says:

So true about portrayals of Black kids on the show! And I was sad about Emily being cut so early too — besides providing much-needed comic relief in the confessionals, she was phenomenally talented, blew me away every time!

I still am rooting for Cameron to somehow get some love, he was a unique talent (and could’ve had a good run on the show with their much-made-fun-of Chastity Club :-)

5. lila says:

freaking ridiculous

6. Malcolm says:

Sad I’ll only see Lindsay for two episodes, because I really think she’s amazing. But I’m happy for them all. Must be a great feeling.

7. Deb says:

I’m not certain I buy that there was “a winner” since it seemed like no one lost. Was that a bad outcome? Not necessarily, but it did seem anti-climactic.

• Ian says:

Well hey it’s Glee, these people are against the norm so why should they only pick one winner and send the rest crying home? We’ve all seen this coming :P

• Michelle R says:

Tell that there was no losers things to the 8 people on Skid Row. :)

Yes, I’m kidding, but there were people eliminated, and, as any fan of these types of shows knows, when it gets down to the end, most of the people have something to recommend them and so only one winner can feel unsatisfying. May Idooloonies would be happier loonies if Haley would have gotten as much love as the 2 episode winners, that acknowledgement.

8. Phil says:

The only deception is Alex still appearing on Glee.. :/
    Even so, I knew it would happen

9. karenb says:

Would have loved for Sam to take it all, but I’m happy for Damian, too! Sam, Cam and Dam were my faves all along!

• Jane says:

I totally agree. Cameron, Damian and Sam were my favorites all along too, so I’m glad Sam and Damian won. I don’t care for Lindsay at all…..too much like Rachel, who is my least favorite character.

10. rowan says:

While part of me feels like this is a copy out designed to clean Ryan’s image, I am thrilled that four young people have an amazing opportunity to jump start their acting careers. I think both Samuel and Damian earned this. Maybe it will teach Alex some humility and teach Lindsay not to copy everything everyone else does and claim it as an original thought.

• Pat says:

Well, I’m happy that they all got roles, and hopefully they’ll be staying longer than just 7 (or 2) episodes. But, not so thrilled about Alex… And since when did Lindsay copy everyone else does and claim it as an original thought???? In Pairability, she was directed to kiss Cameron, not just because she saw Marissa do it. It was confirmed in her blog, Cameron admitted it and so did the director. Don’t let the producer’s awful editing throw you off, I hate how they keep portraying her as the villain. And in Believability, so she had a breakdown in the recording room as well, may not come off as sincere, but who said she claimed it as original? Is crying a copyright?

• Hols says:

That editing was so hack job. It was obvious that Nikki (who is just awful, or at least that’s how she comes off on the show) was asking them about their emotions. And then she made fun of Lindsay for not having the right emotions in the right way.

11. Paul says:

Alex was the only one I really didn’t want on the show, but at least its only 2 episodes. And I’m betting they’ll do something with his drag and that would be very interesting, but Fox probably wouldn’t let them have a transgendered person on Glee like John Stamos in the Rocky Horror episode.

• Andrew says:

I’m not crazy about Alex either, but I’m not opposed to Ryan Murphy giving him a 2 episode shot. Max Adler was supposed to have . . . what? 2 lines initially? And look where he is now. So if they can write a character for Alex that really clicks with the audience, great. If not, he’s got a bit part, and they can always come back to him later if needed.

• tarc says:

The obvious use of a two episode arc is a soloist for another glee club at sectionals/regionals or regionals/finals. And that leaves them: 1) under contract, and 2) available for transfer in (should the choose to do so).

12. Jill says:

Thrilled that Damian will be on Glee for a while at least,but can Ryan Murphy make a decision? After all of the drama that has happened this summer about this show,I’m not so sure.

13. elena says:

kinda hated that samuel won…but then damian won…and alex…and lindsay. it was kinda the anti reality TV ending, but such a glee thing. cannot WAIT for brittany to misunderstand damian’s accent. it’s gonna be a good season.

• Kim says:

I couldn’t understand Damian at the very end, when they put the closing credits over his mouth as he was speaking. I’m sure Brittany will think he’s speaking Klingon or something.

14. Lore says:

DAMIAN!!!! i cant wait for Britney to act with him, imagine that!!

15. Jenny says:

Well I just saw a reason why American needs to pick winners on reality shows. REALLY? All four are getting at least appearances. That is the biggest cop out since the tie at Sectionals during season 2. I know this show was wrapped up before it started airing, but it is like they are playing up to what fans might say instead of actually picking the best person for the show. Only glad Damian got on because the jokes will write themselves with Brittany and him.

• Stephanie says:

And they are currently auditioning for Season 2, so the top 4 of that will totally expect to be offered a job. Of course, they’ll probably be right.
      The entire reason for GP is to pep rally us up for the next season. All the kids in the top 12 will probably show up in some capacity this season, just watch.

16. WTF says:

BULLSH*T, Why couldn’t they just grow a pair and pick one person and move on? You don’t see REAL competiton shows doing that crap TGP pulled tonight. I feel like I wasted weeks of my life on this show to see ONE winner, if I knew everyone was going to win I would’ve stopped watching weeks ago. RIB needs to grow some and realize cutting people won’t kill you. What a waste of time, I know the producer said he hoped Oxygen would renew for a second season. Well, I won’t be watching. However, I am interested in how the writers will integrate Damien and Samuel into the show and how they will write them out. I know Alex and Linsdey will be able to be written out easily, they audition and you never see them again. Bejesus, with Glee and all these characters! Alex, Damien, Linsdey, Samuel, Bubba, Sugar, Sheila, good god.

• Jenny says:

Exactly how I feel. I would have stopped watching weeks ago if I knew there were going to be four winners. The cast is already HUGE and now you need to write for four more people. Grant it Lindsey and Alex are just two episodes but still they can’t write enough for the actors they already have.

• Stephanie says:

What show have you been watching? there is a new character (or two, or 14) every show! They have guests, they have other clubs they compete against, they go to Breadsticks, new teachers, new snotty kids and judges at Nationals…there is a need for new characters all the time. Giving these kids 2 episodes and characters is not far reaching at all.

• Adriana says:

You guys are not thinking about the fact that a bunch of the cast members are graduating and therefore they need new people. I’m pretty sure they can write for everybody, it’s their job to be creative, otherwise they would be doing something else.

• Michelle R says:

As long as the writers can really write for all 4 of these people, it’s not a cop-out. As long as that happens, the result is justified.

17. Sara says:

I loved Alex but the reality is they already have a gay guy on the show and a fat black chick, so once again, you would have more opportunities to fill roles with white actors… Alex to me had the best voice but good job for Samuel, he’s fought hard to be where he’s been…

• WhiteChick says:

Oh, yeah! One gay role and one fat black role are enough. Fill the rest of the show with normal, slim, regular, acceptable-to-you white people.

• GJD says:

Too many “regular” white kids is BORING!!!! What about a slim middle class black girl that isn’t sassy and very intelligent with great talent? Those ppl actually exists, and in the real world there are more than one gay person. Sara you must be from the country south or the Midwest. Clearly an ignorant statement from lack of exposure. Poor kid.

One thing that bothers me about Glee are the reinforced sterotypes of the Asians, the blonde, the latina and the fat black girl. Ugh! Its like a contradiction of the shows purpose.

• Lily says:

But Kurt and Mercedes are most probably going to graduate in Season 3… So there will be a “gay” and a “sassy black girl” void.

• Stephanie says:

Wow. Bigotry is not dead.

• Chuck says:

While I do agree that Sara condensed the characters way too much, the fact that there are already three LGBT teens out of the 15ish kids in the glee club is a little unrealistic. The fat black thing was just rude.

18. Sivat says:

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. But two episodes with Alex is just much too much for me. Yuck, yuck, yuccccccck!!!!!!!

• Ghostly Fan says:

I agree. It was almost painful to watch his scenes on TGP, now he will be around for two episodes. :P I think, however, that RM just wanted him but fans were rooting for the other three people, so he made a move. Next: Alex Newell gets extra episodes!

• WhiteChick says:

I hope he does! His voice is great and he certainly is quite different from what we usually get to see on TV. Same with Samuel.

19. lori says:

If the plan was to offer more than one role, then it is a shame that Hannah didn’t get an offer. I mean even if she doesn’t have the strongest voice, she best represented why folks watch Glee! Ryan – please reconsider… a guest spot.. let the views weigh in…

• WhiteChick says:

Hannah was my favorite. She was not the best singer or actor, but I thought she was the most genuine. That smile and upbeat attitude drew me in from the first episode.

• Prettygirlww says:

WE LOVE HANNAH! She is absolutely a light and so funny. The girl who plays Lauren Zeises is overconfident and tough while Hannah is sweet and vulnerable and loves people so much. That kind of good juice can go a long way.

• Chuck says:

Top four: Cameron, Damian, Hannah, Sam!

20. veronica says:

I think it will make for a good season, decision was the right one. Not a fan of Alex he has a negative attitude. He needs to watch the episode where Mercedes tried to be a diva.

• prettygirlww says:

I think Alex and Lindsay have shown throughout this process that while they are incredibly talented, both have lots to learn in the area of humility and professionalism, and they haven’t proven they are fully trustworthy to have a longer arc on the show. Alex was routinely one of the best performers, but when it came to getting things together behind the scenes he often lacked motivation and in the group setting he could be unsupportive and flat out demeaning to other kids. Lindsay is a great actress and gorgeous girl and she has that same special thing Lea Michele has, but her biggest weakness is that she isn’t confident about right and wrong and what’s appropriate and what isn’t so she routinely just follows other people’s leads and takes over from there – be it when the sassyfrassy girl tried to help out Ellis with some advice and Lindsay jumped in and attacked Ellis or someone kisses on set so she does too (maybe not with Cameron, but later with Damian) or when Alex got upset, so she thought she needed to as well to compete. Her greatest asset beyond her voice is her ability to tap into human emotion with complexity and sublety, but the flipside is she’s often getting emotionally confused in social situations.

It seems to me that they want these two talented kids on the show, but the kids have to show that they can be professional and not cause problems, drag energy down or not be fully present and real while in the midst of a high demand environment. This is a test to see if they can do it and not annoy or piss anyone off. They can take anyone for 2 episodes…and that’s the real audition.

• Hols says:

Yeah, it was awful the way Lindsay just randomly macked on Cameron. Oh, wait — the director TOLD HER TO. The director SAID he told her to; Cameron said the director told her to. But yeah — totally Lindsay’s fault.

It was also awful when she stole that rap line that Hannah created “Skidoosh”. Oh, wait. That wasn’t Lindsay? That was Samuel? The winner? Oops.

And then she got emotional in the sound booth. After Nikki asked her what she was feeling emotionally? And asked her questions about it? And then mocked the emotions?

Yeah. That Lindsay. Terrible. Unprofessional. Totally.

21. tiffany says:

Love love love damian! But on talent Lindsay should’ve taken it…excited to see where they go!

22. Puckleberry says:

Okay, so now we’ve got four new characters (plus the ones previously announced). I don’t care if two of these kids will only appear briefly, for two episodes actually. My concern is about what Ryan Murphy and his team are planning to do with so many people. They brought all these people in season 2 and most of them were underutilized (what did Cheyenne Jackson really do? Or what happened to John Stamos after very few episodes?) and then he forgot about some of the characters (Tina, for example).
    I just hope hiring writers will mean real stories and a better season!

• Xander says:

I really agree about all the characters. How are they going to use all these characters, graduate Rachel and Co, expand the Rachel/Shelby/Beth/Quinn/Puck storyline, give Mike and Tina storylines, give Mercedes and Bubba a storyline and introduce Sugar and Sheila, oh and go to Sectionals, Regionals and Nationals in 22 episodes, and 45 minutes for each episode.

Maybe, they could split the school year into a semester. And have a year for each semester like One Tree Hill. For example, S3 is semster 1 of senior year and S4 is semester 2 of senior year. I doubt they will do this though. And I don’t want Glee to rush storylines and push fan favs (Rachel,Kurt and Finn) into thr background for supporting characters and new ones.

A previous commentor mentioned maybe Sam and Damiens characters will be there until Sectionals where they meet Alex and Lindseys characters at rival schools, interesting.

Idk, though. I just hope Glee does S3 justice and dosen’t focus on all these minor characters. :l

• Lily says:

Sorry to say but Glee has to start focussing on the minor characters, so that the graduation of the major characters will be less painful.

• V says:

I think that they’ll do what they’ve always done. They will give a tiny part to the new people but make it significant enough that it affects the major characters.

e.g. Sunshine had barely any lines (but sang) and yet she brought a lot out of Rachel.
        John Stamos also sang, but wasn’t that much present on screen and yet he was major conflict in the show.
        Same with Kristin Chenoweth & Gwyneth Palthrow who only were present for 2 episodes (or 3)… yet they shook the Glee club upside down.

I think Glee has been very good at manageing guest spots it’s its main cast it has problems with. I want to see more Quinn, more Tina and more Mike Chang, and less Rachel, Finn and even dare I say it Lauren/Puck (unless you give those two an actual interesting storyline lol)

I’m hoping the GP winners will complement the cast greatly, and I really want Damian to just be a hit and become a regular for season 4! Oh yeah. I went there haha.

• Xander says:

But see that’s the thing, Glee already neglects its main cast with minor characters, even Rachel was pushed back until the last couple episodes, because of the Santana/Britney/Artie/Blaine/Kurt stuff in S2. I felt like I got a good enough dose of Quinn between the Sue Sylvester Shuffle to the finale. She gets enough screen time to be a supporting character because thats what she is, also Quinn (Dianna) needs to interact with other characters/cast members or she will be dreadfully boring. Ryan promised more screentime for Tina and Mercedes but they are not graduating and I want to see more of the ones who are leaving (Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, Tina, Puck, and Quinn). I have no problem with a big Rachel Berry arc because there will always be a Rachel Berry arc because she’s the main character. I know its important to integrate new characters so we won’t miss the old ones so much, but its a little to late to try and pitvh that concept. Glee should have been about a teacher and HIS Glee club not about a Glee Club and their teacher. Like Friday Night Lights was always about the coach AND his football team, and even Degrassi is about the school Degrassi and its students. Had some characters graduated in S1 and freshmen were introduced S2 Glee wouldn’t be in this mess. Fans are already attatched to the main cast, many people including myself won’t be back for S4 without Rachel and Kurt. It seems like Glee’s descision to graduate characters was last minute rather than long term plans.

• Michelle R says:

John Stamos, really? He was stunt casting, and always meant to be, on some level, John Stamos/Uncle Jessie/Blackie-for-the-middleaged-people-who-grew-up-watching-GH. He was never meant to be a regular or to disappear into the role.

23. Aly says:

I think Ryan Murphy did a very smart thing by allowing all four of these actors to appear in the next season of Glee. If in the next two seasons all twelve of the Glee members will be graduating, he needs talented people to take their places, and letting 11 out of those twelve contenders go would have just been a waste of all that talent. Introducing them now gives them the potential to be full time cast members in the future. So good for Ryan Murphy doing his show his way, and congrats to all four extremely talented contenders!

24. Brooke says:

I think he did it to save face here. I mean he didn’t have to; but I think he was tired of anyone ripping him apart in the media for decisions he’s made; and did it to show his softer side.

• Claire says:

Except he made the decisions when the show was filming back before it aired. He didn’t know at the time what media–or fan–response was going to be about his decisions.

• prettygirlww says:

To my knowledge, this show was shot back in January way before a lot of the negative stuff started happening in the press with Ryan.

I think the writers got excited about these kids because they were way more real than any ideas they could formulate in their heads. Keep in mind in the midst of season 2 – when this was shot – there were only a very few writers doing everything, so to have almost fully baked characters who they had fallen in love with over the duration of TGP. Oftentimes in Hollywood people are so busy and so stressed they reach for what’s within their grasp and these kids were.

25. Jo says:

All I know is now I don’t have to watch that judge wear the stupid knit hat like he’s a teenager. How old does he think he is?

My father does the same kind of thing; running around in flip flops when he’s in his 40s.

• Randy says:

Yeah, Ryan Murphy is kind of ridiculous…

• rose says:

that judge is hot no matter how old he is

• Stephanie says:

Because you can’t wear flip flops and knit hats at 40?

Answer this when you are 40. I wear them all the time (especially since I knit myself), they aren’t “young” to me. Now, the women who claim they are a “Size 9” and like to mention that fact over and over infuriate me. I answer back that I’m glad I have a woman’s body and don’t wear Junior sizes…If I were to show up in a Justin Bieber you can be free to make fun of me behind my back all you want, but there is nothing wrong with flip flops, they are not just something for teenagers.

• Adriana says:

I’m 25 and I couldn’t agree more with what you say. Younger girls I work with tease me for how I dress and the kind of tv shows I watch or the music I listen to, but I’m def. way more mature and responsible than they are. They can say whatever they want. I don’t care!

26. Beth says:

I’m really happy about the final decision. I’m not a huge Samuel fan, but it’s true that they don’t have anyone like him on the show, and I am really glad that Damien won as well! I don’t really understand all the people on here who don’t seem to like Alex! Yes, he can be kind of a diva at times but I just love him and his voice is out of this world! Lindsay always just seemed a little fake to me, but I’m happy for her win as well and she definitely is am amazing singer as well. I love Hannah though, and would love to see her appear at some point in the show! And though in ways I loved Cameron, his whole freak out about a silly kiss (which is part of acting, after all!) turned me off of him a little bit. I think all of them will definitely go far though and they certainly deserve it :)

27. sue says:

Thought it was great! I was not into Samuel at all….but then was so happy about Damien. Then SO happy for the other two also.

28. Jake says:

HAHA! i knew when he announced all four were winners that people were just gonna complain about it. its so ridiculous.

Anyways! i hope the writers can write likeable characters for Alex and Samuel because i didnt really like them, but i love Damian and Lindsay already! so cant wait to see them on Glee! Finally Ryan has made a good decision on The Glee Project.

So Happy for all four of them!

29. Michelle says:

Since I saw a quick shot of Damian in the crowd during the Glee Concert Movie, I thought that he had won. I’m happy I’ll see him on Glee.

30. Danielle says:

I’m very happy that Damien won, but I think it’s ridiculous that everyone else gets a role too. That’s 3 extra people that they hadn’t planned on bringing in, that will take away screen time from the original cast who is leaving, in addition to all the other newbies. I hope the writers know what America wants and don’t take away story lines from the cast we’ve known and loved just so they can introduce all these new people. The original cast is graduating and I want as much screen time from them as possible. Why not bring in all these new people after they leave?

• Lily says:

They cannot wait until the old cast graduates… We all have a love affair with members of the old cast and that love affair does not happen in one day… The new cast should already be partly in place before the graduation for the pure survival of the series.

31. Mike C. says:

Did anyone point out that Samuel Larsen once made it to the final, final cut of “American Idol” post-Hollywood week, but missed making the performance shows? Seems fair that after coming that close then, he makes the cut now. Persistence!

• gleeker says:

I did hear that. Those Idol judges wouldn’t know talent if it got up and bitch-slapped them in the face. I think it’s great that Samuel just kept on trying anyway.

32. Jo says:

Now, all they need to do is get someone to teach Alex how to really sing. That voice is a beautiful instrument, but the habit of bending every note (an issue with hundreds of professional singers too) drives me nuts. It is a tool that needs to be used in moderation (unless you’re covering a vocal flaw)!

33. lydia says:

i knew damien and sam should win, i just didnt know they would. damien and sam would make great ORIGINAL chraracters. the other two were just a gay guy and a super talented girl (which glee already had each)…so im glad the got ORIGINAL CHARACTERS!!!!

34. Cindy says:

Fabulous ending. Could not have been better. Can’t wait
    for the new season. Best reality show of the season.

35. Bella says:

Yeah, I’m excited! And I actually loved Alex, unlike everyone else, so I’m very, very excited for every last one of them, and for the episodes that they will be on.

36. Bryanne says:

I had a feeling that either he’d choose more than one (after no elimination last week) or we’d see the runners-up in episodes. So Bravo Ryan Murphy! I applaud his sense of “reality” in what was the only sensible outcome.

37. Sadie says:

Cop out, plain and simple. I’m okay with both Damien and Samuel winning, but there was no reason to give the two episode arcs to Alex and Lindsey.

38. Amanda says:

From the beginning, I had a suspicion that Sam would win. Many of the commercials I saw for TGP had Sam featured. It just made me suspect that he would be the one to win. I was pleasantly surprised that Damian won as well; he was my favorite from the beginning.

Not a fan on Lindsay or Alex. Glad they’ll only be on for two episodes.

39. Jen says:

I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed. Maybe it’s my own competitve nature, but the point of watching a competition show is to have a winner at the end… not multiple winners. I can even understand if Ryan Murphy were going to bring in eliminated contestants throughout the season, but for goodness sake, he should have only named one winner! But it’s his perrogative, so whatever. I just feel like I wasted a good chunk of my summer on a show where no one really came out on top.

40. Jen says:

What about Hannah? She is the best. Maybe Ryan Murphy just wants to offer her a permanent role, or better yet her own show.

• ATLgroove says:

Agreed. Damian and Hannah were by far the most endearing contestants. And then, there was Cameron, probably the most adored contestant. I absolutely melted when they showed Hannah start to cry after Damian was announced as well.

41. Brandon says:

Did anyone else see what a poor sport Alex was? Everyone was happy for Samuel and Damian. Lindsay congratulated and hugged both, but Alex just stood there off to the side clapping half-heartedly. What a bitter, bitter asshole!

• Lily says:

At least he is honest… Have you ever lost a competition ? I don’t think so.

• sue says:

Alex was a poor sport all season. He does have a good voice, I guess, but he is so unlikeable. I hoped every week that he would be eliminated, so I was disappointed when he got a two week gig. Damian was my favorite all summer, so I’m really glad he got 7 weeks. I think Sam presents a good storyline, so am happy for him too. I’m also happy that Cameron got the Fan Favorite award and Ihope they can find a way to put him on the show at some time. Hannah seems like a good kid too and totally likeable. All in all, I liked this show and look forward to another one next summer.

42. Ronnie says:

Why are people complaining about everyone coming out a winner? As a show creator, Ryan Murphy had probably been thinking about story lines for all the finalists. This way, he can tell all the different stories he was planning to tell without having to worry about who to cast in them. Remember, a story line doesn’t have to run all season long. Anything can be told in a couple of episodes if it’s plotted without any filler. From a creative standpoint, it’s actually smart. The final result may not fall in the “traditional” way reality competition shows have been, and who says that it has to?

43. Margo Dill says:

I’m sad that Hannah wasn’t still there then. I loved her over Lindsay. Oh well, Hannah, best of luck to you. Damian, you were my favorite from day one by far.

I love Glee. And I’m 40. :) Excited for the next season.

44. Madeline says:

Okay I’ll admit this is really nice and kind and decent of Ryan Murphy – which everyone seems to be saying in the comments – but the pure fact is is that the TV world is NOT supposed to be a nice, kind, decent world. Sorry children. It’s just the way the cookie crumbles. By doing this weird thing with basically having all four of them win (just some more than others) can you even imagine what this is going to look like on the show? We’re going to have these random kids, who all look like TEN YEAR OLDS compared to the rest of the way overage Glee cast, popping in and out of the show and having random plot lines and maybe only being there for two episodes or maybe Mr. Murphy will just get all nice again and give them ALL 7 episode arcs!!! It’s going to be crazy and not make any sense. And the large percentage of the world who did NOT watch this show but DOES watch Glee are going to be so damn confused. So sorry guys, but I just do not endorse Ryan Murphy’s decision. AT ALL. It’s like he’s TRYING to turn his own show into senseless.

• Tarc says:

Honestly, what are you talking about? The Glee Project was designed to find new talent for Glee – which it did. The four prizes given out were minimum episode roles, not maximum ones. They’ve said a bajillion times already that they’ll gave no special guests and only one tribute show this year, to focus on the characters. And hey, a Glee club has a MINIMUM of 12 to perform, but most Glee clubs have 30 or more members – with the older and more talented kids usually making the final performance team each year. There is plenty of room for a few more roles on Glee (if you remove the massive guest stars, which take up tons of show minutes).

45. Sg. Grant says:

Dang. I don’t really think I can handle seeing Jacob Lusk on Glee every week. I’ve not seen this show, so hopefully he is one of the two that only got a 2 week arc.

46. Rocky says:

Anyone notice that Damien does not have an ass? It’s like his back ends and his legs begin. I don’t feel comfortable with that. Hopefully Ryan Murphy placed a “must do squats” clause in his contract.

47. cathi says:

loved it..every bit of it…genius..they got us all invested in the people and then they bring them on the now we care about them in the show..genius

• Lily says:

Absolutely… The Glee creators have won time… they have already won the audience over for these actors.. I still remember , it took me at least 4 episodes before I really like the annoying characters Kurt and Rachel… who are now my 2 most favorite Glee characters…

48. Lyn says:

so happy for damian (my favorite along with cameron) and samuel too
    alex i could do without–maybe he would be too high maintenance for the long haul
    glad to hear that there will not be any guest stars and that the kids’ stories will be in the spotlight
    hey: make this a yearly reality show–it really IS the best one on the air

49. Guy says:

Well done Ryan Murphy. For once there is more than one winner. Its a great result for all 4 although i hate Alex so much i want to puke. He is so up himself. Can’t wait to see them.

50. Lily says:

Maybe Damian will play a foreign spoiled brat and heartbreaker who can get away with anyting, just because he looks and sounds so cute…
    while Samuel will play a dark, sensitive, introvert, rocker who only comes alive on stage … He has a christian streak and has a stalkerish crush on Quinn.

• Amy says:

No – I see Samuel as a very cool rocker guy that moves to Lima, Ohio from L.A. and every girl of course wants the new, smoldering, rock stud, BUT he does not believe in sex before marraige!
      Ryan Murphy loves the contradictions

• Sookie says:

Yes, I definitely see this as a role for him. How frustrated will those girls be! It’s too bad Santana is a lesbian now I would have loved to see her try to get Samuel.