Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Guest Actress in a Comedy?

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Glee, Polls

Class-president campaign posters might be replaced by banners for the 2011 Emmy race for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy in the halls of the fictional William McKinley High School in Lima, OH. Yes indeed, a full 50 percent of nominees in the latter race (Kristin Chenoweth, Dot-Marie Jones, and Gwyneth Paltrow) hail from Fox’s Glee; those ladies will face 30 Rock guest star Elizabeth Banks, SNL guest host (and, coincidentally, 30 Rock creator) Tina Fey, and Raising Hope‘s Cloris Leachman in the race for TV’s reigning secret weapon (female division).

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these actresses to the podium when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (77)

• My vote is for Dot-Marie Jones but I think it will either be Gwyneth or Cloris Leachman.

Comment by Captain – August 21, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cloris Leachman is the funiest actress in the group and on the funiest show.

Comment by mary – August 22, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree.. but how is she classed a guest actor when she’s in the title credits??

Comment by steve – August 23, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is the most awesome actress in the entire show business.

Comment by karen oldroyd – August 23, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Dot has made all of us (non popular, overweight etc) look good. She shows the pain and addresses it. She accepts who she is and has fun with it (the character that is)
      I love her

Comment by Frank – August 23, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elizabeth Banks is hilarious as Avery Jacobs.

Comment by Amy – August 21, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, although I really hate how they resolved her storyline. It was just TOO ridiculous for belief. But I hope she gets it.

Comment by steph – August 21, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Avery Jessup

Comment by Jared – August 28, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My thoughts on this race:

Comment by BH – August 21, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So what exactly do you do for a living?

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 21, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? No votes yet for Kristen Chenoweth? She was at least as good as Gwyneth.

Comment by wordsmith – August 21, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There would be more if she was actually funny unlike her other two past appearances. She was just a piece of props in the Rumors episode of Glee

Comment by Jeremy – August 21, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Jeremy. I love Chenoweth, but this season she wasn’t very impressive. Her first appearance was far better.

Comment by Jules – August 23, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely had to go with Dot-Marie Jones. I love her on Glee. She brings so much depth to Coach Beiste. Plus, she’s mastered comedy and drama throughout the season.
    Cheno was amazing as usual, but wasn’t in the episode much. Gwyneth was great, but a lot of people find her off-putting. Tina’s hosting gig wasn’t as good as past appearances this season, but I’m blaming the writers for that one.
    If Dot-Marie doesn’t get it, it better go to Cloris Leachman.

Comment by Taylor – August 21, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree. I like Kristen Chenoweth’s (April Rhodes is hilarious) character way better than I did Gwenthy’s. I felt like GP was pimping herself on Glee, trying to make us believe she could sing, and her character was grating and felt like a filler character to hold off on Emma and Will. I adore Dot Marie and I loved the episode ‘Never Been Kissed’, I cried the first time I saw it, lol. However, I do think Cloris Leachman will win though.

Comment by Denise – August 21, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved Paltrow. She can definitely sing. If you don’t know that by now you must be tone deaf.

Comment by Deborah McGuire – August 23, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope above all else that Cloris Leachman DOESN’T win it – she’s a regular! Guest Actress should be actual guest stars, not for people that are in every episode.

Comment by Poli – August 21, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In season one, she was a guest star.

Comment by John – August 21, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was in every episode, she missed 1 or 2 at most. Always recorded Raising Hope in case Glee ran over, and she was listed in the main credits.

Comment by Poli – August 21, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Technically she was a guest star, that’s why she’s nominated in this category, so…

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 21, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You’re slightly misremembering, Poll. Yes, Maw Maw does APPEAR in the opening credits — she’s even onscreen by herself, as though it’s a “placeholder” for her eventual promotion to series regular — but there was no name underneath her image, so it’s inaccurate to say Cloris Leachman, the actress, was “listed” there. Leachman’s actual billing was in the end credits, as Special Guest Star. You’re correct, though, that she was in almost every episode.

Comment by Ben P. – August 23, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you even know who Cloris Leachman is? She is definitely NOT a regular or in every episode. You must be confusing her with Jane who is much younger but has a somewhat similar look.

Comment by Deborah – August 23, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cloris Leachman is on Raising Hope, not Glee, Deborah. But now that you mention it, she and Jane Lynch do have kind of a similar look… it would be hilarious if one of them were to guest star on the other’s show. Coach Sylvester’s mom on Glee is Carol Burnett, which is fabulous… maybe Cloris could be a kooky aunt or something, or Jane could show up as a relative on Raising Hope.

Comment by Amanda – August 23, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAW MAW FTW!

Comment by Gabrielle – August 21, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Dick Whitman – August 21, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Steven – August 21, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word! If for no other reason than to give Raising Hope some much needed PR. I love Maw Maw though! Especially when she’s lucid.

Comment by Janet Snakehole – August 22, 2011 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Excellent show and Maw Maw rocks

Comment by Kelly – August 22, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gwyneth takes my vote. She’s a great actress, and a decent singer.

Comment by Shh – August 21, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris Leachman all the way. Maw Maw is queen!!!!!

Comment by Jenny – August 21, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maw Maw is the best! My vote is for Cloris!

Comment by Cassandra – August 23, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 100% Kristin Chenoweth! This is her 4th Emmy nod in 4 years! She won 1 she is hilarious and April is a much better character than Holly Holiday…despite the fact that she was barely in her guest episode this year she still killed it! Her comedic timing is spot on! And her voice is just plain amazing but if she has to lose to a glee contender it better be dot and not GP(she got lucky bc they gave her a hit song on the current radio stations to sing as opposed to the classic stuff April gets to sing)

Comment by Darcy – August 21, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dot Marie Jones should be the only Emmy “Glee” gets this year. She’s quite phenomenal!

Comment by Lindsay – August 21, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hard category!

Elizabeth Banks, ’30 Rock’ > She is fantastic. Extremely hilarious, and very under-rated.

Kristin Chenoweth, ‘Glee’ > Incredible voice.

Tina Fey, ‘Saturday Night Live’ > Always a pleasure to see on SNL.

Dot-Marie Jones, ‘Glee’ > She has her moments. I enjoy her, but a win? I don’t think so.

Cloris Leachman, ‘Raising Hope’ > Never seen this show, but I do love Leachman.

Gwyneth Paltrow, ‘Glee’ > Fun to see her, but I don’t think she deserves a win.

I think Elizabeth Banks is the best, all around choice here.

Comment by DJ General – August 21, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that it will probably be Gwenyth, but I hope not. Cheno is always awesome, but the heart belongs to Jones if it has to be Glee. But my vote was for Banks. I am not even a fan, but she rocked and held her own against Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. She was so much part of the show that she doesn’t even feel like a guest star o me; she is just part of the family! But where was Megan Mullaly’s nom for Parks and Rec? Oversight, much?

Comment by Mandalaymai – August 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Dot or Claris to win but I guess Gwyneth will win…

Comment by Evyn – August 21, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gwynwth shouldn’t win. Her character was very surface and cartoony, while Dot-Marie’s was played with depth and conviction. She is wonderful on the show.

You felt for Coach Beaste. You don’t feel anything for Holly.

Cloris Leachman is also terrific, but I am rooting for Dot-Marie all the way!

Comment by Rowan – August 21, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “You felt for Coach Beaste. You don’t feel anything for Holly.”

I don’t think that’s right to say at all. People who like Holly aren’t as vocal as the haters but there are people that felt for her just as much, if not more than Coach Beiste. I’m one of those few.

Comment by Shelby – August 21, 2011 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chenoweth for sure. What a talent …. voice and comedy in one adorbs package.

Comment by tw111 – August 21, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll go with Elizabeth Banks, although Cloris Leachman deserves to win too but I disagree for the appelation of “guest”…

Comment by Soso – August 21, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?? There is no one in this category funnier than Cloris Leachman. She owns it!

Comment by Lana – August 21, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gonna be Paltrow. And here’s why: 1) she was legit hilarious, at least the holly holiday writers were and she delivered every snappy line with so much likable wit she converted even me, and I was never a big fan of hers. 2) sheds legit A list actress. A win for her entices more big names to go small screen

Comment by The maize – August 21, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chenoweth probably has paid the most dues, and cloris leachman has won a LOT of emmy’s, but she IS hilarious and deserves every award she gets, and she might steal this one too, but my vote goes to ELIZABETH BANKS because she is totally underrated and CRAZY hilarious as avery. im looking forward to her continuing guest appearances.

Comment by jkahsdf – August 21, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristin Chenoweth all the way! Not only is she flat out one of the best actresses around but she has the most amazing voice!

Comment by Shanon – August 21, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though Cloris is listed as a guest; her character is in the opening cartoon; she’s in the cartoon family portrait. She is fantastic in this role, but really isn’t a guest.
    I’d go with either Dot-Marie or Kristen.
    I miss Pushing Daisies and Earl.

Comment by kathy – August 21, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For next season Cloris has been upgraded to a regular. This will be her only year in the “guest” category (which she was considered a guest).

Comment by Burt Macklin – August 22, 2011 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Gwyneth deserves the award the most. Best episode was nominated and Singing in the Rain/Umbrella was amazing. Just that song alone deserves the win.

Dot and Cheno did just enough to get nominated, not enough to win.

Comment by Stacy – August 21, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gwyneth the best

Comment by Mirianaval – August 22, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a totally bogus category this year.

2 nominees (each) for Saturday Night Live and for Glee. Both of these shows fall outside the realm of a true situation comedy – which is the supposed intent of this category.
    They have to put Glee somewhere I suppose, but SNL is stretching it a bit.
    As for Cloris Leachman being a “guest” in a series that she has made about 20 “guest appearances” (out of 22 possible shows in the season)
    . . .Well, that really makes a mockery of the category itself.

Comment by J. Norman – August 22, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SNL has 2 nominees? I must be blind then, because I only see Tina Fey as the nominee from SNL.

Comment by Whut – August 22, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Dot-Marie Jones, she was the best of this bunch by far. Paltrow was a nightmare in Glee. I hated every screensecond with her in it.

Comment by ReMMeZ – August 22, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristin Chenoweth all the way. She was barley on the screen that episode (much to my dismay) and yet she STILL rocked it & stole the show! Kristin Chenoweth hands down.

Comment by Rachel – August 22, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So. Sick. Of. Glee. Seriously.
    Elizabeth Banks was wonderful!

Comment by Crystal – August 22, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elizabeth Banks nominated… it has to be a joke.

Comment by Teresa – August 22, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kristin C but she was not nearly as good this year as last year, but I don’t blame her. She did the best she could with what she had to work with. Have to go with Gwyneth. Was prepared to hate her but absolutely loved Holly Holiday.

Comment by Steve T – August 22, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be Cloris, she’s an Emmy magnet.

Comment by Abe Froman – August 22, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dot <3

just because I luv her

[can't claim to have watched 30 rock, SNL or RH so.. Dot]

Comment by punkin – August 22, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris should get it. If she doesn’t, It is just because more people watch Glee than Hope. Not many people could pull off what Cloris has done…hilarious.

Comment by Debra – August 22, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris Leachman…maw maw rocks!

Comment by Terise Parnes – August 22, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris leachman for sure! She rocks her character MawMaw

Comment by Rachele – August 22, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris leachman should definitely win,she made raising hope what it is today,the best show on tv!!!!

Comment by michele – August 22, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • go, MAW MAW!!

Comment by chay – August 22, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cloris is fresh and hilarious. Definitely Mawmaw.

Comment by JuliO – August 22, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen Raising Hope, but my vote goes to Chloris Leachman, as the woman is hilarious and still pretty sharp. I’m saddened to see Glee taking 3 spots here, as season two was pretty terrible. I like Coach Beiste, Holly Holiday, and April Rhodes, but no, I just can’t get behind any of them winning emmys for Glee. Also, Kristen’s appearance on season one was much better than her appearance in season two. That is nothing against her as an actress, everything against the Glee writers. Also, for Gwyneth, I don’t know which episode was nominated for, but I can only get behind the first episode she appeared in, not the second. Elizabeth Banks…I have never liked that character on 30 Rock, but I’m not really crazy about her in general. I say Cloris Leachman probably wins this. Majority of Emmy voters won’t dare vote against her.

Comment by Amber – August 22, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for gwenyth she was awesome

Comment by darlar – August 23, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my vote? kristin chenoweth!

Comment by pat – August 23, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the nominees, I only know the Glee guests and Tina Fey. Still, I would want Dot-Marie Jones. She brought a lot of emotional scenes and great acting. Paltrow’s performance did not impress me, though I couldn’t tell if it was her acting or the writing for the character that I disliked. I adore Chenoweth, but she didn’t come far past “amusing.” Tina Fey is HILARIOUS, so I wouldn’t be sad at all if she won it. As for the other two ladies, although I don’t know them, good luck to them as well.

Comment by Jules – August 23, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see how Dot-Marie Jones can even be on this list. She’s a regular on Glee. The same goes for Cloris Leachman on Raising Hope.

Comment by James Ulloa – August 23, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All these ladies have been great but Dot has created a unique and positive character. Her conversation as Santa with Brittany was, at the same time, farcical and real.we want MORE.

Comment by dvdv – August 23, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dot Marie should win – hands down. She is the ONLY reason I liked Glee after the Rachel and Finn break up – she is on of the best roles ever cast. She deserves more than an emmy – she is just a good person

Comment by Michele – August 23, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dot. Nuff said

Comment by Rebecca – August 23, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gwyneth Paltrow cannot sing well. She can carry a tune but that is it. Dot-Marie definitely deserves the award.

Comment by Spiderella – August 23, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Dot should win. She is a great addition to the cast & some of the things that she says is so funny. I hope she is there for a while.

Comment by Katrina Dennison – August 23, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ofcourse Gwyneth Paltrow is going to win!!

Comment by Sofia – August 23, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gwyneth Paltrow or Dot-Marie Jones.

Comment by kierahillmin – August 26, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post