Fall TV Preview

Private Practice Drama: Will a 'Bomb' Drop on Happy-at-Last Charlotte and Cooper?

When TVLine visited the set of ABC’s Private Practice the other day, we tried to drum up some details on this “someone from an Oceanside doctor’s past” that A.J. Langer (My So-Called Life) will be playing, starting with the fourth episode of the coming season. And… everyone was conspicuously mum.

Series front woman Kate Walsh, only when pressed, teased that Langer’s storyline is “a goody,” adding: “It’s a good little bomb that gets dropped.” A bomb? What?

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Private Practice and Addison’s Baby Talk

Prior to arriving at the set, we’d heard strong buzz that Langer’s character will interact with Cooper and Charlotte, who after enduring an extremely emotional and difficult Season 4, are now blissfully wed.

A.J. Langer joins Private Practice this season in a recurring role

“I cannot confirm or deny those rumors,” Paul Adelstein said when we ran that buzz by him. He then allowed, “Something’s coming down the pike, and it’s a big bump in their relationship.

“I think they’re prepared for it,” he added, “but it’s going to be interesting to see how it checks out.”

Could this “bump” — in the form of the pretty Ms. Langer or otherwise — threaten Cooper’s nascent marriage? “I don’t know if it’ll threaten it, but it will be certainly something that would be hard for any couple to adjust to,” he answered.

Private Practice Boss Shonda Rhimes: What Addison Did in the Finale Will Bite Her in the Butt

KaDee Strickland’s response to our Langer line of questioning was similar: “I’m not telling you nothin’,” she playfully said. “I can tell you that A.J. is playing a really key role on this show, and a really interesting role on this show, and I’m excited about her role on the show.”

Charlotte’s portrayer continued, “I just get to work with her, which I’m really excited about because they just keep giving us great people on this show to work with. I met her [on Wednesday] at the table read, so it’s going to be fun.”

Lest the many Charlotte/Cooper fans out there fret too much over the actors’ evasive comments on how Langer will shake up the Practice, Adelstein offered some words of reassurance about the newlyweds’ upcoming storyline — bumpy road and all.

“People really root for Charlotte and Cooper, and I think Charlotte and Cooper are doing a really good job of making the relationship work,” he said. “So I think people will be happy with what they’re doing [in Season 5].”

Print Out Our Calendar of the More Than 100 Fall Premiere Dates!

ABC’s Private Practice returns Thursday, Sept, 29, at 10/9c. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (29)

• I bet she shows up with a kid that’s cooper’s that he didn’t know about.

Comment by Amanda – August 20, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what the previous spoilers said. I still cross my fingers that the kid is Pete’s and not Cooper’s.

Comment by xav – August 20, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess as well.

Comment by Yep – August 22, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After Charlotte’s rape last season I just want them to have a little time to be happy before screwing up their relationship with past crap. Hopefully the new character is going to be for Pete and not Cooper because I’m less invested in Pete.

Comment by xav – August 20, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also want the new character to be for Pete, but for totally opposite reason. I’m more invested in the character Pete and actor playing him, so I want more storylines and screen time for him :)

Comment by meme – August 21, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No,i want this to be Cooper’s stroryline, i don’t care about Pete that much, he is kinda boring for me.When he had that heart attack in the finale it did nothing for me. I didn’t care.

Comment by suzanne – August 21, 2011 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Curious at the words “big bump” in their relationship. Something that a couple “adjust to”? Could Private Practice do a baby storyline at the same time as Grey’s Anatomy? It might add some drama to the fact that Addison wants children, and is still trapped seeing all of her friends live the dream of having kids.

Comment by JDHetherington – August 20, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to think that we’ll see Charlotte and Cooper going through something like this. I just want them to be happy and go through bumps in their relationship that aren’t influenced by external relations. Plus, I feel like this will greatly affect Charlotte wanting to have a child with Cooper. And when that happens, it won’t be as special because it won’t be Cooper’s first child.

Comment by Caitlyn – August 20, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will be special in a different way. Once Charlotte is pregnant it will be their first child together, they will be able to experience the pregnancy and birth and watch their child grow up from day one. Of course that’ll be special and I don’t think “Mason” is taking away from that. It’s not like Cooper will always love him more just because he was there first. I really don’t see that happening with Coop.

Comment by Nathalie – August 21, 2011 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cooper’s heretofore unknown biological sister, tracks him down via adoption records and suddenly Cooper has a “real” family.

Comment by Rich – August 20, 2011 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be a cool storyline.

Comment by Starbuckcubed – August 22, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for this! I think it will be really interesting how Char and Cooper will handle it.

Comment by barbara – August 21, 2011 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m fine with it as long as they stay together. I think the writers are preparing for the end of the show. Addison is getting a new love interest and the baby she always wanted and Cooper always wanted to be a dad too and now he gets a son.

Comment by Nathalie – August 21, 2011 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Charlotte and Cooper need to be the rock this season on the show, the 2 ppl that ground the rest of the craziness going on. Shonda really infuriates me sometimes by messing with couples every other second. Especially with Grey’s moving away from the main actors, this show may only have 1 or 2 seasons left (including this one) as well. All of Shonda’s shows but Grey’s and PP have bombed on ABC, so I bet ABC will start moving away from her for a bit.

Comment by Danielle H. – August 21, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • all Shonda’s shows? how many were they? beside GA & PP, she only producted/created is “off the map” which indeed bombed!

but i agree GA/PP combio has at most 2 seasons left, at the very most and including the next seasons!

Comment by melanie – August 21, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shonda did not create Off the Map. That was created by Jenna Bans, one of the producers from Greys. Shonda only served as a producer on this show.

Comment by Lucia – August 22, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great drama tv shows are those where no couple is protected and where every relationships (romatic, friendship etc…) is challenged each seasons… plus those two characters are great for intense drama, seeing them just happy happy will be boring

Comment by melanie – August 21, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe she’s going to be their surrogate….

Comment by KDW – August 21, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Insert Grey’s or PP couple here. This spoiler sounds just spoilers for all Shonda’s couples. “Bump in the road” seems like I’ve heard that before. I sweat Shonda gives her actors a list of buzz words to use in interviews.

Comment by Kiki – August 21, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For some reason my first reaction was ‘OMG, a kid!’. PP does sometimes mirrors Grey’s and we know that twice Mark has revealed a kid to Lexie and twice she broke up with him. Last time apparently for good.
    I’m glad they are bringing new blood to the show. When PP first started I watched a couple of episodes but I wasn’t thrilled about the cast. I didn’t like anyone but Addison and so I tuned out. But when they brought Amelia in she was this breath of fresh air and energy and I gave it another shot and then when they ran they storyline of Charlotte being raped I was hooked. So hopefully this new addition will do the same, especially since I am not thrilled about Benjamin Pratt at all.

Comment by Babygate – August 21, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Amelia too! I hope she stays awesome! PP and GA tend to ruin their awesome characters by giving them stupid out of character storylines that Shonda tries to sell as character growth.

Comment by Viv – August 22, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also like Amelia’s caracter and that episode that they tried an intervetion on her was just amazing!!!! She should stay and get more lines!!

Comment by Simone Dantas – April 11, 2012 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So LAME if its a kid he didn’t know about. WTF is with Shonda and all her baby drama? and yeah I get it tv couples need drama but after all these seasons I believe they have had ENOUGH! Why not allow them some happiness? sheesh

Comment by s – August 21, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if she’ll be a baby grower(can’t think of word XD) for the couple….maybe that rape messed her up inside.

Comment by shaun – August 21, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • remembered the word…Surrogate XD

Comment by shaun – August 22, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A girlfriend from Cooper’s past is so predictable. Isn’t he adopted? So why not a really messed up biological sister he knew nothing about?

Comment by Dr McNaughty – August 23, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just hope Pete doesn’t die he’s a good person with a messed up marriage.

Comment by delores – August 31, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so much wish that addison could find a great man, get married and fall pregnant…she’s so pretty a successful…why can’t she just be happy?

Comment by Heather Cleet – December 15, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cooper is adopted, what if he and charlotte are some how related?

Comment by Heather Cleet – December 15, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post