Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Guest Actor in a Comedy?

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

Matt Damon, Idris Elba, and Justin Timberlake have garnered enough acting kudos among ‘em that few people would bat an eyelash if the trio teamed up to headline a fairly major big-screen drama. Instead, though, these actors will take on Nathan Lane, Zach Galifianakis, and Will Arnett in the battle for the Emmy statuette for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these actors to the podium when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (40)

• In the absence of Jim Rash (who elevates Community to even greater heights), I vote JT.

Comment by Sam – August 20, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I share your disdain over Jim Rash…he’s so awesome. Community got robbed. Again.

But I wouldnt vote for JT. Matt Damon killed it for me!!!

Comment by Raksha – August 20, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I agree with this comment 100%. Does the Dean need to wear even more outrageous costumes to get a nod?

Comment by Sarah El – August 20, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jim Rash is simply amazing.
      I heart him so much.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 20, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jim Rash just got promoted to series regular (thank god.)

Comment by Katie – August 21, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JT hands down he knocks it out of the Park everytime he is on SNL

Comment by Danelle – August 20, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idris Elba for the fact he was never nominated for The Wire

Comment by kyle – August 20, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That still pisses me off too, I’ll never get over their continuous snubbing of The Wire.
      I don’t think Idris Elba will win this category, but hopefully he’ll get some much deserve and very delayed love for Luther.

Comment by Maria – August 20, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idris Elba, but not for Big C. Luther might be one of the best shows on TV anywhere.

Comment by JD – August 20, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. While I liked his performance on The Big C, Luther was hands down the best miniseries this season (I’m not sure whether it was a series or miniseries with six episodes, but I was blown away by what I saw).

Comment by Justin – August 20, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Depending on which 30 Rock episode of Damon’s is selected, he would be hard to best.

JT did have a very good SNL, so that wouldn’t be an affront, either.

Comment by Timothy McNeil – August 20, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As far as I know he submitted the episode where he and liz are stuck on the plane for hours and eventually break up

Comment by Jamie – August 21, 2011 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nice articles

Comment by danniel – August 21, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above. Should have gone to Lithgow for How I Met Your Mother

Comment by Eli – August 20, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wasn’t funny on HIMYM. His role demanded a more serious and dramatic note. Didn’t laugh once at any of his scenes.

Damon as Carol was superb, playing the Yin to Tina Fey’s Yang. Never pegged him to have so much comedic timing in him. Will Arnett was also good on 30 Rock, yet underutilized and didn’t make too much of an impression. Justin Timberlake also deserves that nod.

Comment by Knope – August 20, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The award is not for the funniest actor on a comedy. It is for the best actor. I thought, though dramatic, John Lithgow gave a wonderfully moving performance. Timberlake and Galifinakis were mediocre at best. Matt Damon was wooden. Nathan Lane was decent, but not his best performance by a long shot. I never saw Big C so I cant judge whether he is deserving. . Will Arnet deserves the nomination and probably the most deserving of the six.

Comment by Eli – August 20, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, I believe it is judged on their comedic ability, not their dramatic ability, as that’s what happened last year.
          It is in the section for Guest Actor in a COMEDY, not Drama. They have their own category…

Comment by Jo – August 20, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Damon – funny and charming !! – he’s got my vote !!
    This just might be Justin Timberlake’s year – he and Gaga had excellent chemistry…

Comment by Mark – August 20, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Damon obviously! He really can do any type of role.
    He and Liz Lemon were so great together!

Comment by alex – August 20, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. What role can’t Matt Damon do?
      I think he has excelled in action, comedy, romance, drama…. He’s a rare talent imho. So many actors have to stick to 1 or 2 types of roles.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 21, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Timberlake

Comment by alice – August 20, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • matt damon was hilarious on 30 rock. i think it was an underrated performance, and the voters may dismiss it as the obvious sweeps stunt his casting actually was. however, damon really came out on top and rose above what could have been a “hey look, it’s a famous guy trying to be funny this week on 30 rock!”

Comment by bob – August 20, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RICKY GERVAIS (LOUIE)

he plays Louie’s doctor ,,,,

Comment by tim – August 20, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definatelly Matt Damon!

Comment by Annie – August 20, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Damon was amazing on 30 Rock. He would be my choice.

Comment by Julia – August 20, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Timberlake hands down. His guest stint was the best SNL of the season.
    Amazing comedic timing. JT puts SNL regulars to shame each time he is on.

Comment by Liz – August 20, 2011 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these clowns.

Comment by remmez – August 21, 2011 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at the voting results to date, and as someone who spent years in the theater, it seems more like people are voting based on how ‘hot’ someone is, rather than who did the best acting job.

Comment by Sam – August 21, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or maybe, just maybe, you’re using someone’s looks against them to defend your own pick and claiming that people are too stupid to vote based on acting rather than appearance. I voted for Will Arnett on 30 Rock, but JT on SNL was my second choice. Not because he’s attractive but because he’s funny. Give people more credit, and don’t act all high and mighty because you’ve “spent year in the theater” – you’re not the only one, sir.

Comment by Jamie – August 21, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t insult our intelligence, Sam, you bitter theater freak.

Comment by Joey – August 22, 2011 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you watch JT’s SNL episode? I laughed so hard I couldn’t stop. It had nothing to do with what he looked like. I’m in the theatre too and guess what there are really good looking people who can act. Take Matt Damon for example. He’s crazy hot and extremely talented. Should we not vote for him cause he’s good looking even if he breathes life into most of his roles in an way that few actors cute or not can even attempt to do. These two were my top picks because they gave stellar performances. We are not a bunch of teenage girls giggling in a corner at a cute boy. I was very happy with the leading actors in the poll cause they were my top two picks as well.

Comment by KelKel – August 23, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble!!

Comment by Darth Dingdong – August 21, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Timberlake knocks it out of the park every time he’s on SNL. His last stint with Lady Gaga is still on my DVR (it’s the only thing from last season still on my DVR because I keep re-watching it!)

Matt Damon would be a second choice for me – he showed a completely different side as Carol on 30 Rock!!

Comment by Liz – August 21, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still ticked Timothy Dalton didn’t get nominated for Chuck. He singlehandedly made season 4 better than season 3. At the very least, he should have gotten a nom over Nathan Lane. I think Nathan’s talented, but they’re wasting his abilities on Modern Family.

Anyway, Iris Elba works for me. Justin Timberlake should have been nominated before for SNL, not this season.

Comment by PJM – August 21, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of this list then Matt Damon– he totally surprised me, I really enjoyed the scenes with Carol.

But personally, I think Jimmi Simpson should have been nominated for his character Mary Lightly on Psych.

Comment by np – August 21, 2011 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but most of you posters are WRONG!!!

I liked Matt Damon as Carol, but seriously, Will Arnett is LONG overdue for recognition as Devin Banks. Last season’s episode was not my favorite (watch Into the Cravasse fron 2 seasons ago) but he deserves credit for creating a character as good as GOB.

If not him then Nathan Lane as Pepper on Modern Family.

I like JT and Zach and all but not this year.

Comment by lawyerchick99 – August 22, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tough to vote here as I don’t feel particularly strongly about any of these characters. So I will vote for Will Arnett as I do feel particularly strongly about him as a comic actor. And he kind of does throw his all into his 30 Rock performances.

Comment by Amber – August 22, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Timberlake or Damon FYW!!!

Comment by kierahillmin – August 26, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Damon

Comment by Stephen S. – September 8, 2011 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I take it back. I vote for Nathan Lane who was HILARIOUS in Modern Family!

Comment by Stephen S. – September 8, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post