Fall TV Preview

American Horror Story Is Coming: Check Out the Freaky Poster, Watch the Creepy Promo

FX has unveiled the first real promo and official poster for American Horror Story, its new drama from Nip/Tuck creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuck. While the video is palpably creepy, believe me when I say that it barely scratches the surface when it comes to how atmospheric/borderline disturbing this chiller-thriller portends to be.

FX’s American Horror Story Will ‘Transcend’ Viewers’ Perception of Horror

In the 30-second teaser, “Family Portrait,” you’ll glimpse two girls (who are actually one) and two maids (who in a very different way are actually one), plus series leads Dylan McDermott (The Practice), Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights), and their on-screen daughter, played by Taissa Farmiga. You’ll also spy Oscar winner Jessica Lange not caring that True Blood‘s Denis O’Hare is stepping into a lit fireplace, but that’s a whole other horror story to be told. And the dark figure pawing at Connie? You don’t wanna know.

Exclusive: Without a Trace‘s Eric Close Locates Plum American Horror Story Role

Press PLAY to get a feel for what FX’s Horror Story has in store when it bows Wednesday, Oct. 3, at 10/9c, and scroll down further to check out the first poster.

1. Renee says:

Ok I adore a lot of the people involved with this show, but I don’t do horror. The closest I can get is like Buffy. So unfortunately I’ll have to miss this one. But really I have to sleep at night. :-/

• Jaime says:

I agree. I want to watch the show because of the people in it, but can’t do horror:(

• Scott says:

I saw Jaws in the theaters during a day showing in the very early 70’s when I was about 6 or 7 thanks to a 20-something sibling. Yes, I was scared. I checked the water constantly for years. But I have loved horrors ever since. The more blood and guts the better. Makes me wish I were in the room when Mom found out. ☺ But I’ve always know there was a difference between reality and fiction. I’m not trying to belittle you in anyway, so please don’t take offense. I’m just giving the reason I will gladly tune in.

• Renee says:

Not offended at all. I hope a lot of people watch because I would like for it to be a success. I just can’t be one of them. I had a sibling who watched Twilight Zone reruns late at night when I was little. I absolutely cannot do creepy.

2. Mayra says:

Oh, Connie, the things I watch because of you, hahaha

3. spike says:

doesnt seem to bad but Mr. Douchebag is involved so i’m not sure what to think of it

• Norm Peterson says:

My thoughts exactly. I WANT to watch this show because of the lovely Tami…er… I mean Connie Britton, but Ryan Murphy is just sooooo insufferable. I don’t know if I can handle an amazing 1st season and crap the rest of the way. A RM staple.

4. Megan says:

So excited for this. I’ve been dying for Ryan Murphy to bring something else to FX since Nip/Tuck ended and this looks like the perfect show for me (I’m a horror nut). Can’t wait til October 5th!!

5. This looks very good. While I will reserve judgment until I see it, I love when things are spooky… thanks Ryan!

6. Dee says:

At last, an interesting show to watch on Wednesdays.

Wednesdays seem to be really craptacular as far as what is on network tv.

7. KG says:

Alex Breckenridge:)

8. DL says:

I absolutely love horror. After one-off horror series like Harper’s Island and Happy Town flopped, I’m really hoping that this will finally be the go-to show for TV horror. So excited!

• Jon says:

Harper’s Island didn’t really *flop*, it was only supposed to be a 1 season thing anyway, but it was terribly over looked by allot of people, which is a darn shame because that show was amazing. I wish we had more of those around than these endless CSI and NCIS spinoffs and sequels and wannabes. . .

9. Templar says:

I enjoy horror, but not too many different shows at once. We’re already going to be getting Grimm and Once Upon a Time, so do we need another one?

• Jared says:

To those who are confused: You do know that Grimm and Once Upon a Time are fantasy dramas based on fairytales. They are not “scary” shows. American Horror Story is actually Horror genre based. It’s 2 totally different types of shows.

• Templar says:

Thanks for the clarification. I watched the trailer for Grimm and it seemed more violent than Once Upon A Time. So I classed all three in the “spooky” category.

• Musica1 says:

Yes, those shows are based on fairy tales, but are supposed to be scary. From what I understand, they are dark versions.

10. Pam says:

I love horror so I will definitely at least check this out. However, from the previews, it sounds as if the show may have some serious flaws.

11. Gerald says:

This looks really promising and good but I’m still deciding whether to check it out or not.I just feel this should of been a miniseries considering Ryan Murphy’s history with television. Murphy is actually an excellent concept man and he really knows how to start a series. However, he then has a need to top himself with every episode and the storylines start to spiral out if control. He just can’t do long term, just look at Nip/Tuck.

• Templar says:

IMO David E. Kelley has the same problem. His shows go from the sublime to the ridiculous on a gradual downhill slide.

• pria says:

I this this is indeed intended as a miniseries – it’s like 12 or 13 episodes only. I can’t wait, it looks very cool and different from anything on TV. I agree Ryan excells at concepts.

12. Pete says:

Wow. That’s a great promo! I guess FX is giving this show a budget! I hope the show is as creppy as that promo. I can’t wait for this. An actual adult horror show on my TV.

13. Martin says:

Is it wrong the first thing i thought of was Dylan McDermott looks hot, definitely checking this show out, love me a bit of horror.

14. Ken Adams says:

I can’t wait to watch the first season of this. We all know that the first season will be great and then after that, Mr. Murphy is going to royally screw the pooch a la Nip/Tuck and Glee.

15. Gail says:

Dylan McDermott and Eric Close in the same show?? Can-Not-Wait!!!

16. Austen says:

Okay? So what is this even about?

Network/Creators/Promoters need to realize that nobody is going to watch their show if they can’t figure out what it’s about from the trailer/commercial/promo art.

17. Heradite says:

Am I the only one who is utterly in love how it looks? The shots, how it’s blocked, the way it’s lighted-it all very stylized.

18. Scott says:

I’m the opposite of a lot of people here. I didn’t follow any body here. I don’t care for the guy who is creating the show. I just heard about another show trying to bring horror to television and I was like, “okay. I’ll give it a try.” Now that I have seen a teaser clip (and actually saw Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott, who I love, were in it) I am totally in for this show. The Walking Dead and American Horror Story are going to make October a good month for me.

19. Justin says:

This promo and poster are brilliant. Good for them.

20. Desdemona says:

Oh, it seems vaguely American Gothic-esque (which was one of the most underrated shows ever.) I’m there.

21. Lore says:

in the poster, she is supossed to be pregnant?

22. Marco says:

The poster’s font is the same used for Profondo Rosso’s original one-sheet. And it’s plenty creepy. The promo is also creepy. I think we’re off to a good start here… hope for the best.

23. Ali says:

I cannot wait for this… great concept, cast and night to be on tv

24. Danielle H. says:

I hate horror and probably won’t watch it because I don’t like to be scared by TV or movies, but that looks interesting. And the leads just pop off the screen. I wanna know how the 2 girls are 1 and the 2 maids are one and what the dark thing is! lol

25. Spencer says:

Am I really the only one that didn’t find that trailer scary at all??

26. Ron Swanson says:

I am soooooooo pumped for this show!! I got chills watching the trailer,not because of the creepiness, but because of Connie Britton! I love her!!!!!!!!!!

27. Sweet says:

Dark Shadows, anyone?

28. The Warecougar says:

Can I get that guy in black to come visit me? And Evan Lawson thinks HE has Nature’s Bounty. (Royal Pains ref.)

29. DL says:

Isn’t that guy in the black latex Squeegl from CSI? I’ve been wondering where that dude went! ;)

30. Jeri says:

I can do horror, I just have to make sure it is not the last thing I watch before bed. I need a comedy or drama inbetween to break the spell so no bad dreams.

I’m looking forward to checking it out.