Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Cougar Town Is Recasting [Spoiler]!

When Cougar Town kicks off its third season, an integral member of the Cul-de-sac Crew will — gasp! — be portrayed by another actor. So, which face will look a whole lot different come premiere time?

Why, it’s Baby Stan, of course! TVLine has learned exclusively that the Powers That Be over on C-Town are looking for a new, older set of twins — somewhere in the range of three to four years old — to assume the role of Andy and Ellie’s rarely-seen offspring.

“We decided to age Stan and make him somewhat of a real character because, well, the people on the show never go to work and Ellie and Andy never seem to acknowledge him,” executive producer Kevin Biegel tells TVLine with a laugh. “We figured it was probably time to give them a little real-life responsibility. Mind you, he’s only going to be around three years old now, so he’s not suddenly 12 or something.”

And don’t worry, winos: The addition of a slightly older tot won’t change the Cougar Town you’ve grown to love. Biegel reassures viewers, “People will still drink on the show…a lot. There just may be a little three-year-old p—k-of-a-kid running around them every once in awhile. We promise, it won’t be cutesy or lame — we’re not going to ‘Cousin Oliver’ it.

“Also, we hear kids are super easy to work with,” he deadpans.

Cougar Town isn’t the only ABC sitcom aging one of its babes this season: As TVLine revealed, Modern Family has recast the scene-stealing toddler playing Cam and Mitchell’s adoptive daughter Lily in favor of — you guessed it — a four-year-old kiddie.

Comments (28)

• Wow. That was beyond lame. You should be embarrassed to even call this a scoop.

Comment by Kristine – August 19, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what’s going on with the name change?

Comment by mike – August 19, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s what I would like to know. That would be real scoop.

Comment by Sivat – August 19, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At this late date, with the fall preview stuff all out and like that, that ship has sailed sailed sailed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 19, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But since the show doesn’t return until midseason, there’s still time.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – August 19, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, they do acknowledge him. Did they have the episode where Jules bet that she could take care of him? Since the show was called Cougartown, I didn’t expect the baby to be front and center. Love the show!

Comment by BJohnson – August 19, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell is a Cousin Oliver? (actually I do know, I just bring it up to mock the ease with which people make references to what have become obscure factoids of REALLY old TV shows that most people today would have no clue about).

Comment by Michael Sacal – August 19, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m confused, so are you belittling people whose TV knowledge base reaches further back than Heroes? If so, you’re probably mocking a bulk of the people who come to s TV-heavy site such as this.

Comment by lauren – August 19, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even people who weren’t watching TV in the 70s and 80s (because they weren’t born) can be aware of television archetypes. I’m in my mid/late twenties, but I still know what “jump the shark,” “Cousin Oliver,” and “the Moonlighting Curse” refer to. I assume that most of my generation — or at least those of us who hang around sites like these — does, too.

Comment by Ace – August 19, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would have been funnier if they did age the kid to 12.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – August 19, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was kinda hoping Christa Miller was graciously leaving the show because she doesn’t know how to play a negative character in a winning way. Miserable bitch Ellie dampens an otherwise good sitcom.

I hope the writers (and Miller) figure out a way to make her character more silly and less smug.

Comment by TS – August 19, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Ellie may be a bitch most of the time but she’s actually usually the only practical one. Plus she’s needed to round out the different personalities in the group. Ellie’s smugness is hilarious

Comment by B – August 19, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, B, she and Andy are my favorite couple on the show, as she and John C. McGinley were also my favorite couple on Scrubs. She does that personality so well and so funny. She is the character I can best relate to.

Comment by Amber – August 19, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get why Modern Family did it, but Cougar Town features baby Stan so infrequently that this really wasn’t necessary. As for the name change, it’s not a good idea. The show is already being pushed to mid-season (or late-late fall) and it will air in a different time slot. The name change will just confuse the potential audience further.

Comment by abc123 – August 19, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • read the dam article and it tells you why they are recasting…ffs dont post till you read the dam article

Comment by ggny – August 19, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew you were going to pull something like this.

Comment by Sourabh – August 19, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The title of this article scared the crap out of me. But while reading it, I was pretty happy that it wasn’t one of the major players.

As for changing its name….THEY’D BETTER NOT! It wouldn’t make any sense to do so. Cougar Town has its loyal followers who love the show regardless of what its called. Personally, I think that it goes with the concept of what the show has become. Maybe its not about older women catching the attention of younger boys. Maybe its about a tight knit crew that would do just about anything for one another without question. Maybe Cougars are like that in their natural habitat….who knows.

Comment by Jo – August 19, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should cast the girls who played Lily to play the boy on Cougar Town. If any show can carry that off, it’s THAT one!

Comment by TV Gord – August 19, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo not funny! I thought it was one of the principals and my heart dropped! Each one of them is irreplaceable. But a new baby Stan is fine by me…

Comment by Babygate – August 19, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys had me scared for a minute. Uncool!

I’m curious about the word you felt the need to censor in the article, p—k. Was it “punk”? Why would you feel like you had to censor the word “punk”? Is it offensive to people?

Comment by Amber – August 19, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, I noticed that too! Have we really become THAT PC nowadays? :D

Comment by abc123 – August 19, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The word was obviously “prick”.

Comment by Sivat – August 19, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody watches this ridiculous piece of crap. Just like Scrubs. It’s unfunny.

Comment by Miffy – August 19, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that makes sense. it got to season three because absolutely no one watches it. same with scrubs. that had a long run because it was so terrible.

Comment by anna – August 19, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You scared for a second, I thought one of the main actors was leaving and I was going to like the show a whole heckuva lot less for it.

Comment by Miranda – August 19, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone remember Baby Jack from Scrubs? When he got older he had some great lines, so I’m sure this kid will be great.

Comment by Josh – August 20, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • traffic traffic traffic huh? this is isn’t news worthy!!!

Comment by melanie – August 21, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m proud to be one of the people that think this show has not been given its just desserts. Why ABC has failed to see that this program belongs between “The Middle” and “Modern Family” is beyond comprehention.

And I truly would not mind seeing “Happy Endings” in the 9:30 slot. Sure, critics call it a “friends” rip-off, but it is funny, and the cast is dynamic.

Comment by Daniel A – August 24, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post