Playboy Club Pits Joel Gretsch Vs. Eddie Cibrian

Eddie Cibrian’s Playboy Club character, Nick Dalton, has Big dreams — the Chicagoan wants to be elected State’s Attorney. But to claim that office, he’ll have to grapple with Joel Gretsch first.

Gretsch, an alum of such futuristic fare as V and The 4400, is joining the 1960s-flavored NBC drama in the recurring role of the incumbent State’s Attorney, our sister site Deadline.com reports. The politico will also be a semi-regular frequenter of the show’s titular establishment.

TVLine’s Fall TV First Impression: NBC’s The Playboy Club

Other recently added recurring players for Playboy Club include Smallville‘s Cassidy Freeman (as Nick’s image-improving “for show” steady) and Troy Garity (as a mobster/Nick’s ersatz “brother”). The series premieres Monday, Sept. 19, at 10/9c.

1. Tee says:

Gretsch is great, just not great enough to make me watch Playboy Club. I’ll still hope he might pop up again on In Plain Sight after he vibed so well with Mary, even if her personal life is a little, uh, complicated.

• maggie says:

@Tee, You wrote exactly what I was going to write! I would love to see Gretsch come back to IPS. Love Gretsch, but still not interested in watching Playboy Club. The promos look horrible!

• J says:

I really don’t know why they cast eddie cibrian (and for a lead role as well!) Personally I don’t find him to be very talented and doubt he’ll be able to hold up a show

2. Chmarin says:

One first class actor against another one.

NBC just keeps giving us reasons NOT to watch this show. Just like they’re doing with Up All Night and casting Nick Cannon.

• Gerald says:

What’s wrong with Joel Gretsch? He’s a pretty good actor. I hope this works out for him and that this one doesn’t get cancelled as well.

3. Danielle H. says:

I hope the fact that we are hearing so much casting news is because they are moving steadily along with the episode order, meaning that we will at least get one full season out of this show. Can’t wait!!!

4. Fabe says:

I can’t wait for The Playboy Club!!! I hope it is really good. I always give shows at least a 4 episode chance to woo me haha.

5. Lauren says:

I can’t WAIT for this show! It looks sooooo good.

6. Georgia says:

I agree in that eddie cibrian is TERRIBLE for this role. I just saw him in a lifetime movie off netflix and he is cardboard as an actor and a poor man’s don draper. Were there no talented people available for this show? Joel is the only one so far that actually has a shot.