Rookie Blue: The Men in Andy's Life Face Off

Luke Callaghan, you’ve been a very bad boy.

Rookie Blue‘s erstwhile good guy shed his Mr. Nice Guy image earlier this season by cheating on fiancé Andy with his ex. But that’s only one half of Andy’s messy love life. The rookie and her former training officer Sam Swarek have been making eyes at each other since Season 1 of the ABC series (airing Thursdays, 10/9c).

TVLine chatted with the men behind Luke and Sam — Eric Johnson and Ben Bass, respectively — to find out what’s ahead for the love triangle and why they’re right — and wrong — for Andy.

THE CRIME | Although cheating is a big no-no, Johnson had “a tremendous amount of fun” dirtying up his character’s perfect facade. “We saw a side that wasn’t as composed,” he adds, “wasn’t as put together. That was a little compromised.” But if you’re going to do the crime, you gotta do the time, which brings us to…

THE PUNISHMENT | Luke will definitely be feeling the consequences of his infidelity. “He’s at rock bottom,” says Johnson. “Things aren’t pretty for Callaghan right now. … We’ll have to wait and see if he’s able to pick himself up and… redeem himself to a degree.” That won’t be easy now that all eyes will be on the detective as news of his betrayal spreads throughout the precinct. “He’s definitely in the doghouse [at work],” adds Johnson. “There’s not a lot of love for Callaghan. Nor should there be.” Not surprisingly, Sam is among those not too happy with Luke. “Sam wants to pound the living daylights out of Luke,” says Bass. Replies Johnson with a laugh: “By the end of the season, that feeling’s going to be very, very mutual.”

TEAM SWAREK | For being a guy’s guy, Sam “has a certain sensitivity, and he’s aware of what’s going on with [Andy] emotionally,” says Bass. He’s keen to the fact that Andy needs space right now, so “he’s not pushing the issue” of their UST (unresolved sexual tension). “He’s just quietly dealing with his feelings for Andy,” explains Bass. The unrequited lovers have found an unlikely supporter in Johnson himself. “I’m always cheering for the underdog myself, so I totally get the Team Swarek,” he admits. But Johnson warns that “being with Sam could be a little dangerous for Andy too. He’s a bit of a cowboy [and] a loose cannon. Life’s a little predictable with Luke, but at least it’s safe.” Is it really? “Unless there’s a guy in our house trying to shoot us,” he adds with a laugh.

TEAM CALLAGHAN | Luke isn’t giving up on winning back Andy. “That ship hasn’t sailed by any means,” maintains Johnson. “There’s definitely still a lot of love there.” Just don’t expect a quick and easy reconciliation between the two. After all, the damage to their relationship has been done, and although “there is hope” for the couple, it’ll take time to heal the wounds. “[I don't think] that they’re going to get back together right away,” ponders Johnson. “How could you? It wouldn’t look good on her.” But should Andy even take Luke back down the road? “After what he did? Absolutely not!” exclaims Bass. “Andy deserves better than that. … Sam’s not perfect, but he’s loyal and faithful.”

THE VERDICT | It’s complicated. As Season 2 winds down, things between Andy, Sam and Luke get “really tense,” teases Johnson. “The stuff hits the proverbial fan.” While Luke’s trying to keep his head low and stay out of trouble, Sam will make a bold move. Realizing that a relationship with Andy is not in the cards and not wanting to be around her because it’s too painful, Sam seriously considers going back undercover. But a relationship cliffhanger will bring those feelings back to the surface in the season finale. “He’s moving towards asserting himself romantically with her,” previews Bass. “But there’s a twist of fate that happens that changes everything. Everything goes in a very unexpected direction.”

Rookie Blue fans, are you Team Swarek or Team Callaghan? Can Luke ever be forgiven?

1. Sam says:

I’m not sure what the last few things even mean? “There’s a twist of fate that happens that changes everything. Everything goes in a very unexpected direction?” ….. What? and I hope we don’t have to wait till the finale for them to be together!! Team swarek 100% … and that thing about casting a new love interest for Andy is rediculous! There’s only so much someone can take :( poor Sam…. Can’t they just put the two together and keep it that way!

2. Abc123456girl says:

I am so team Luke why because everyone makes mistakes and andy almost did to with Sam and Luke had to find out by himself and Andy found out that Luke cheated on her so that’s why I am in lukes side.

3. Kris says:

Team Swarek.

If she has another love interest, that’s just bad writing. Their relationship would have so many dynamics it would be better the never resolved UST.

Luke lost his chance and should not rewarded for cheating.

Get Andy and Swarek together then the cases and sparks will fly!

4. lisa says:

Team Swarek all the way!

Luke is a great character, but there’s just NO chemistry between Luke and Andy! Luke had better chemistry within the first two minutes Jo was in the picture than he had in both seasons with Andy… and Luke and Andy are SO BORING. No spark, not chemistry, nothing. Blah blah blah.

Sam and Andy have great chemistry, and they actually seem to support each other… yeah, team Swarek for sure.

5. Liana says:

Team Landy!!! Team Luke all the way here.

6. valerie says:

the show is dull. the first season was fairly good and then when she hooked up with luke it got old really fast. when a show keeps the main characters apart too long it starts to drag, imo

7. Rory says:

Wait so Andy is a girl? …Yes, I’ve never seen this show. And I never will. What is wrong with TV? Why do they have to poison every male name?

8. Cheryl says:

Definitely Team Swarek. I love this show a lot, and especially the characters. ALL of them (including Luke, lol) At the end of the day, Sam is the one for Andy and vice versa. They are insanely perfect for one another, but not in that “perfect” kind of way that Luke provides. He’s the one that you’re supposed to want and choose, but Sam….well, Sam makes you want to growl, lol! :)

Can’t wait for them to get somewhere? Go Sandy!

9. lola garden says:

I think the cliff hanger is going to be Andy getting together with Chris.I think they would make a very cute couple.

10. murphy_720 says:

Team Swarek all the way!!!! I want to see Sam and Andy together by seasons end then they can spend season 3 hiding their relationship from the rest of division 15

11. peggy says:

team swarek love love this show sam and andy all the way its going to be long wait for season 3 to begin. I think they need to keep luke and jo together they seem to fit together.

12. Charlotte says:

Team Swarek all the way. He has stood by Andy through everything. Even though she has pushed him away too many times to count, he is always there, because he loves her and he knows that she will soon realize that she loves him too. I just don’t want this cliffhanger…It is awhile before the new season and it is going to make it much harder to wait with not knowing what happens. I just hope that Andy sees what is right in front of her soon, because she and Sam are the cutest couple on this show!!!

My feelings on Luke are kind of weird. At first when he and Andy first met I really liked his character, but soon Ben Bass came in as Sam and just totally pushed past Luke. I don’t think Andy should ever really forgive him for what he did. It shows that deep deep down he isn’t as good as everyone thinks he is. In some ways I was happy that he cheated though, because it gave room for Sam to swoop in and be the hero that we all know him to be because he loves Andy!

So again TEAM SWAREK ALL THE WAY!

13. Cathy says:

Team Swarek definitely since Season 1. Definitely want to see Andy and Sam get together this season. The chemistry is absolutely soooooo HOT…So glad to read there is talk with bringing this series to winter also. Lets have it summer, fall, winter & spring. Well I guess they do need some time off.

14. Kelly says:

As someone said before I too am disgustingly, shamefully addicted! I look forward to Thursday and am also cheering Sam on!

15. Caroline says:

not gonna lie, Team Callaghan.

i have a softspot for luke, and i know he cheated, which is awful by all means, but i just think the andy/luke relationship is better than sammy/andy

16. Hannah says:

I love Ben Bass so much I want to marry

17. Ava says:

Do you even have to ask?!?! I’ve never been the kind to go crazy over some actor even when my little teeny bopper friends were squealing for Donnie Osmond or whatever (OK, I’m lying. Sorry Al Pacino – whose picture I carried in my wallet when I was young; and Mark C. Collier who played Mike on ATWT and turned out to be gay in real life, so it just wasn’t the same – but damn he’s fine. Why does that always happen). Anyway, Whoa.Got to thinking about Ben/Sam and lost all train of thought and had let the heat out from my top. Oh, I guess that’s your answer.

18. kz says:

can i be team neither one? one cant man up and the other cheated. whats there for her? andy needs someone stable who isnt going to treat her like crap and talk down to her all the time. she needs respect from day 1. also the whole team thing is sooo twilight. i am a little old to be doing that. can we get over that?

19. rego says:

Im so with ya on that one. Team Sammy all the way. Would love him to look at me like that….He is seriously hhhhhoooootttttttt……

20. Aisha says:

Definitely Team Swarek, love Andy and Swarek. Rookie blue is the best.

21. Chris Scudder says:

Don’t the people commenting above realise this is not real? As my sons would say “It’s only a puppet’!!!!!

22. Mishka says:

Best series ever… Im definately team Swarek! His is just too awesome… This series has me hooked… Simply love it!

23. Lamy says:

I think luke and andy shud get bac 2geda, if she goes with sam it ll be so predictable. I ll feel lyk i kno d end already nd dat wont be good

24. Ronny says:

Hey what’s with luke?

25. Adigu Folashade says:

I’m for team swarek! I love rookie blue so so much!

26. Pamela says:

Emmmm ok Sam is totally hot! Seriozly? Luke? He’s cute too but nilch compared to Sam. I’m team Swarek all d way. Besides thy cdnt really date in d first season cuz he ws her trainin officer n its against d rules but mhen what chemistry btw those 2m I cud feel it from ma seat.

27. Wanda says:

Team Callahan all the way! Luke made a huge mistake by sleeping with Jo and so Andy by almost sleeping with Sam! We all make mistakes people and sometimes if given the chance to make it right the second time is better than the first. When Luke comes back I hope that she can forgive him and at some point maybe next season they can get back together, because forgiveness takes time!

28. Eleanor Roosevelt stated that each day comes with new energy
    and new thoughts. I thank you for making me think today.

29. alyaly says:

IT WILL ALWAYS BE SAM AND ANDY ALWAY THERE LOVE HIS TRUE AND ALWAYS WILL BE I HOPE TRUE LOVE WINS