Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Fringe, Parenthood, NCIS: LA, Cougar Town, White Collar and More!

Will the Walters work together, or war with each other, when Fringe returns? Does a new piece of Parenthood casting portend an end to Julia’s baby blues? Is there a “thing” ‘tween Kensi and Deeks or not? Read on for those answers, plus other teases from some of TV’s hottest shows.

Joshua Jackson Cheers Fringe‘s Vanishing Act – and How It Will Save the Peter/Olivia Romance

Fringe | As Season 3 came to a close, Walter and Walternate weren’t in a room together for but a minute before they started hurling accusations at each other. Such banter between the alters will continue when the new episodes arrive. “Oh, they’re always cross with each other,” John Noble told me, two episodes into filming. “And the thing about having an argument with yourself is you can take the gloves off, and that’s what they’ll be doing — abusing each other. But ultimately they’ll have to resolve their issues.” As they address the mystery of their conjoined worlds, who will prove to be the smarter of the two? Sure, Walter lost some years in the bin, but his counterpart hasn’t exactly been chained to a lab Over There. “Walternate’s a pretty sharp dude,” says Noble, “but maybe he’s not on top of the science like Walter.”

Parenthood Spoilers: Romance Drama, Baby Twists and a Surprising Alliance in Season 3

Parenthood | Take ingénue Rosa Salazar, give her a season-long arc on NBC’s multigenerational family drama, and what do you get? Maybe, just maybe, a baby for Julia and Joel. People’s Exhibit A: Salazar has been cast as Zoe, the coffee cart girl at Julia’s law office. Exhibit B: Zoe is pregnant… but not sure about wanting to keep the baby after its birth. The rest, one would presume, is simple math, no? Or might this lass serve Julia heartbreak instead of light with sugar?

Scoop: NCIS: LA‘s Daniela Ruah Taking Kensi to Hawaii Five-0 This Fall

NCIS: Los Angeles | Chatting up the gorgeous Daniela Ruah, I told her it was refreshing that with the Kensi/Deeks “will they/wont they” dynamic, it’s the woman who suspects there’s a “thing” between them, versus what is typically the man’s POV. And… she wasn’t entirely on board with my assessment. “I don’t know that he doesn’t [believe there's a 'thing'], and I don’t know if she does,” Ruah countered. “I don’t know if she said ‘our thing’ this and ‘our thing’ that thinking there’s an actual thing; I think she just realizes that it gets to him when she says that, and that’s all she cares about — pushing his buttons in any way possible.” Hmm, doth the lady protest too much?

Cougar Town Season 3 Scoop: Baby Talk, Title Change (?), and Jules In a Wedding Dress (?!)

Cougar Town | Yes, the ABC comedy’s Season 3 premiere is a small eternity away – late November, once Dancing With the Stars wraps its season – but there’s this to look forward to: When Travis lands in the hospital a few episodes in, watch for another of the show’s fun little wink-winks to Scrubs when wallflower Tom (played by Bob Clendenin) suddenly busts out some medical jargon — an obvious nod to his previous sitcom turn as Sacred Heart’s Dr. Zeltzer.

Covert Affairs Recruits Another Heroes Alum

USA! USA! | Dipping into the reader mailbag, Kathleen writes: “I desperately need White Collar and Covert Affairs scoop! ” I do feel for fans of those shows, which earlier this month taunted us with wowza midseason finales. Starting with White Collar: You may have seen series boss Jeff Eastin tweet a photo of Tim DeKay and Matt Bomer in character at Yankee Stadium. What was that about (other than the home to the best team in baseball)? Directed by DeKay, the episode – part of Season 3.5, bowing in January – concerns a wealthy baseball fan that enlists Neal to help steal a prized piece of memorabilia. Turning to Covert Affairs, I can report that Oded Fehr will return as Eyal in one of the first few episodes of Season 2.5, which arrives sometime this fall.

CSI: NY Season Premiere First Look: When Terror Struck

CSI: NY | I quite literally just got off the phone with Dean Norris, for a rather juicy Breaking Bad preview Q&A to post this weekend, and he also shared how excited he is to guest star on CSI: NY this season as an Internal Affairs agent who investigates a shooting our CSIs are involved in. Thus far, details are scarce on the incident requiring IA intervention, but Norris did say that his scenes — and they are meaty, intense ones — are primarily with Gary Sinise and Carmine Giovinazzo (aka Mac and Danny).

Supernatural | Here’s one little vittle that didn’t quite make it into my genre-gasmic exclusive about Buffy/Angel alums James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter guesting on the fifth episode of the CW series’ seventh season: The names of the husband and witchy wife they’re playing are Don and Maggie Stark. And that, now, is all I got!

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!

1. Mike says:

So since there’s been zero mention of it (including on Twitter from Bill Lawrence where it originated) I’m gonna assumme Cougar Town is not changing its name. Also 5 weeks from tonight Charlie’s Angels premieres – there’s still no news about Charlie?

• Miranda says:

I’m beyond hopeful that they keep the name Cougar Town, and just keep making fun of it in the main credit sequence.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. Never had a problem with the name, and love that they’ve been poking fun at it in the title sequence.

• Darcy says:

Same, I kind of like the little jokes. The title card has become a noticeboard of sorts.

I think that changing the title could be dangerous for the show in it’s third season. Start of Season 2 was their last chance, and I honestly hope, for the show’s sake, that the title remains.

2. Allison says:

I hope they don’t go the way of Tony/Ziva with Kensi/Deeks, and stretch them out for like 5 seasons to the point that they get boring.

• Foedhrass says:

@Allison: Agreed. Though I’d rather see those two together than Tiva… But I don’t need to, I only hope they’ll decide sooner, before both characters start to annoy me as Tony and Ziva do because of their “thing” or “no thing”.

• Juliab. says:

I would like to see them together. I get annoyed with shows who drag out the “will they” or “won’t they”. I would rather a show make a decision one way or another.

3. Rach says:

oohh i reallyyy hope something good happens with Keeks this season!!! please don’t drag it out like Tiva!

4. Madge says:

Thanks for the CSI NY info. Lookong forward to this season very much

5. DL says:

Don and Maggie Stark? Are they related to The King in the North, perchance? Sorry, couldn’t resist. :)

6. J says:

Finally some Cougar Town news!!!!! Can’t wait for it to FINALLY be back! Everyone needs to watch this show!

• davey says:

I find it hard to believe that Cougar Town actually has a full season pickup this year – condsidering it’s not beginning until late November? I would like to know the actual dates ABC is running it.

• Carm says:

Shows that start in September have lots of reruns during the season. Cougar Town will have plenty of time for a full season.

7. L says:

How is it that no one on Cougar Town works except Jules boyfriend and all they do is sit around drinking wine all day?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not to harsh your mellow with facts, but the show addressed that very “issue” in an episode by showing how boring their jobs are. (Plus, we do see Jules do real estate and Grayson run the bar….)

• BRETT says:

This isn’t BIG BROTHER. I always find comments like these pretty funny… How is it that a 30 minute sitcom is supposed to show EVERYTHING the characters EVER do in that timeframe? And I love how just because you don’t see it, means it doesn’t happen. Guess you’ve never heard of a play?

• murley says:

plus there are a number of times we see andy driving off to work in the morning and we see bobby at the golf club (where he works as an instructor) a lot- not to mention when he joined a golf tournament. so yeah, they have jobs. except ellie :).

• Darcy says:

Yeah, Grayson owns the bar, Jules owns her own real estate company, Laurie is her assistant, Bobby is a golf instructor and Andy is some kind of money manager from what we’ve seen. Ellie’s a housewife/stay-at-home mother.

Watch the show first, then ask questions.

8. L says:

Really getting tired of the Cougar Town Winos.

9. Mildred says:

In the parenthood scoop who is Sam? I thought Julia’s husband was Joel?

10. KBC says:

“Sometime in the fall…?” Seriously? Come on, USA! We need more Annie Walker and Gang.

• Lauren says:

I’m just glad we don’t have to wait until next summer. And I’m super pumped about more Eyal! I really really love his scenes with Annie. They have some serious chemistry!

11. susela says:

Why would Walter and Walternate have issues if Peter doesn’t exist? Walter would never have kidnapped him and started the whole sorry mess of Walternate’s disintegrating world. But then if Peter doesn’t exist, why does Walternate’s world *still* have wormholes and how have both worlds been brought together? I’m so confused . . .

12. Lorie says:

Oded Fehr returns to Covert Affairs…WOO!! Your White Collar scoop just makes me miss it more. What an awesome season finale! Can’t wait for January.
    Thanks, Matt.

13. Hemo_jr says:

Without Peter existing on Fringe, there is no one who knows that the survival of each universe depends on the survival of the other. So, ultimately, Peter has to be there to make sure that the Walters know this fact.

14. kat says:

I’m with Daniela Ruah’s take. She was pushing his buttons and I think that any “thing” is more one-sided on Deeks part at the moment. I don’t think Kensi would even contemplate that Deeks could be seriously interested in her.

15. jacob says:

Can’t wait for Fringe, I really believe John Noble and Nick Offerman were the two biggest snubs. Also the Yankees are not the best baseball team that goes to the Phillies.

• Bianca says:

I agree,John Noble plays Walter fantastically. Those idiots voting can’t see true talent, what a shame…But I have to disagree on the Phillies part though ;)