Exclusive

CSI: NY Premiere First Look: When Terror Struck

The CSI: NY Season 8 premiere, as previously reported, will mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks by in large part flashing back to that tragic day, showing viewers how Mac, his ill-fated wife, Claire (played by Eureka‘s Jamie Ray Newman), and others were individually impacted.

TVLine has acquired a first look photo — featuring Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Flack (Eddie Cahill) — from the emotional episode, the idea for which was in large part shepherded by series lead Gary Sinise.

Matt’s Inside Line: Learn More About the CSI: NY Season 8 Premiere

As executive producer Zack Reiter explains, “Gary Sinise came to me and the other writers wanting to do something that revolved around 9/11 — specifically featuring the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance, a project that Gary had an enormous involvement in.”

Conceived as a memorial to the 416 first responders who died in New York City on 9/11, “Apparently they were about halfway through building it when they ran out of money,” Reiter relates, “and Gary and his Lt. Dan Band were instrumental in helping to raise funds to complete the project.”

Already poised to mark the 10-year anniversary of the terror attacks, and nudged by Sinise with the idea for a specific touchstone, “It all seemed to come together in that moment,” says Reiter.

CSI: NY Premiere Photos, Part 2: ‘You See the Love that Mac Had’ In His Life

The CSI: NY season premiere airs Friday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c; click here for even more photos.

1. Leigh-Anne says:

Thank you so much Matt.
    I really am looking forward to watching this eipsode. I have no doubt that it is going to be a highly emotional eipsode. Well done to Gary for helping to raise funds for the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance.
    This is one eipsode I will not be missing.

• Gwen Loomis says:

Gary Sinise is a fine actor, but he is also a fine human being. Not only did he help raise funds to complete the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance, he has also worked for several years to raise money to put together school supplies for children in Africa. Instead of using his celebrity for his own self-aggrandizement (yes, I’m talking to you, Kim Kardashian!!), he has thought globally.

• K B says:

And so much of Gary Sinise shows through in Mac. Mac is truly the start of that show and without him, it would no longer hold my attention. I am a loyal and faithful fan, but without Mac’s honesty, integrity and honor, it would fail to meet the standard that Mac has set.

2. Tracy says:

Thank you for this! It looks like it is going to be a very powerful episode and I’m looking forward to it.

On a more shallow note, anytime Flack and Danny can be in a scene together it turns out great so I’m really excited about that part of it.

• Kristin says:

Agree with your shallow note. Love Flack and would love for him to have a nice moment with Danny in this episode. That being said, kudos to Gary Sinise. The more I read about him, the more impressed I am by his incredibly generous nature.

3. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I haven’t watched and episode of CSI: NY in 3 years…but I’ll be watching this one. Thank you Gary.

4. Brian B. says:

Having lost friends in the tragic events of that day and the many battles since, I’m proud and humbled by Gary’s involvement andtribute to all those fallen heroes.

5. Juliab. says:

Thank you for the first look Matt. Thank you to Gary Sinise for bringing this story to the show, and for all you do for the military and first responders everywhere.

6. Lt.DanFan says:

I heart Gary Sinise. What a truly good man. On a shallow note, I hope that this episode will show Mac being able to move forward, perhaps with Jo … :)

7. Tego Livi says:

I hope they don’t have too tough a time making the characters look 10 years younger. Carmine has aged quite a bit during the run of the show (he doesn’t really look old, but like he’s grown up a lot). And Stella has changed quite a bit, especially in the last year :).

8. DL says:

Thank you, Gary. As a native New Yorker, this is an episode I will have to see.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’ll tell you, as someone who was working right across the river from NYC that day, just looking at the fictional yet familiar photo above gives me a lump in my throat, every time.

9. Lisa says:

Thank you for this info. This episode is sure to get the tears flowing and I’m sure it’ll be a wonderful tribute to those who risked and sacrificed their lives that day. I do hope we’ll get to see Lindsay and Jo’s POV as well.

• Tracy says:

I’ve heard we’ll see Jo’s for sure because she worked in DC before joining the NY crime lab. I’d love to see Lindsay and Adam’s POVs too since neither were in NY when the attack happened.

10. Don J says:

I have the feeling this will potentially be one of the best CSI NY episodes ever. 1 hour doesn’t seem like enough time for this episode. Since Melina doesn’t work on the show anymore, I wonder if the episode will tell what Stella was doing that day or even Aidan Burn.

• Tracy says:

I’d love for Aiden and Stella to get mentioned, but since the show is only an hour long I have a feeling they won’t mention characters who are no longer there. I’d love to be wrong about that, though. ;)

11. Renee says:

I have enormous respect for Gary Sinise. He’s a really high quality actor, but as a man a human being he’s absolute tops.

12. Don J says:

The good thing also is Eddie Cahill gets to go back to his haircut from previous seasons and not the goofy greaser hair he had last season.

13. Geeno says:

I wish this is a TWO-HOUR season premiere and push Blue Bloods at 11pm (kidding!!) I mean one week!

• Don J says:

Agree. 1 hour (44 minutes without commercials) doesn’t seem like enough time to tell this story. But, I trust that Gary and the writers came up with a really compelling story that will satisfy fans and pay tribute to the victims of 9/11

14. Andrea says:

This is one reason that I’m glad that CSI:NY got an eighth year. There are several shows that take place in NYC, but Gary Sinise’s support of the military is so well-documented that I find it fitting that his show is going to tackle remembering a day that continues to have a profound and sobering effect on the U.S. to this day.