Fall TV Preview

CSI: NY Premiere First Look: When Terror Struck

The CSI: NY Season 8 premiere, as previously reported, will mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks by in large part flashing back to that tragic day, showing viewers how Mac, his ill-fated wife, Claire (played by Eureka‘s Jamie Ray Newman), and others were individually impacted.

TVLine has acquired a first look photo — featuring Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Flack (Eddie Cahill) — from the emotional episode, the idea for which was in large part shepherded by series lead Gary Sinise.

Matt’s Inside Line: Learn More About the CSI: NY Season 8 Premiere

As executive producer Zack Reiter explains, “Gary Sinise came to me and the other writers wanting to do something that revolved around 9/11 — specifically featuring the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance, a project that Gary had an enormous involvement in.”

Conceived as a memorial to the 416 first responders who died in New York City on 9/11, “Apparently they were about halfway through building it when they ran out of money,” Reiter relates, “and Gary and his Lt. Dan Band were instrumental in helping to raise funds to complete the project.”

Already poised to mark the 10-year anniversary of the terror attacks, and nudged by Sinise with the idea for a specific touchstone, “It all seemed to come together in that moment,” says Reiter.

CSI: NY Premiere Photos, Part 2: ‘You See the Love that Mac Had’ In His Life

The CSI: NY season premiere airs Friday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c; click here for even more photos.

Comments (26)

• Thank you so much Matt.
    I really am looking forward to watching this eipsode. I have no doubt that it is going to be a highly emotional eipsode. Well done to Gary for helping to raise funds for the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance.
    This is one eipsode I will not be missing.

Comment by Leigh-Anne – August 18, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gary Sinise is a fine actor, but he is also a fine human being. Not only did he help raise funds to complete the Brooklyn Wall of Remembrance, he has also worked for several years to raise money to put together school supplies for children in Africa. Instead of using his celebrity for his own self-aggrandizement (yes, I’m talking to you, Kim Kardashian!!), he has thought globally.

Comment by Gwen Loomis – August 18, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And so much of Gary Sinise shows through in Mac. Mac is truly the start of that show and without him, it would no longer hold my attention. I am a loyal and faithful fan, but without Mac’s honesty, integrity and honor, it would fail to meet the standard that Mac has set.

Comment by K B – August 19, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for this! It looks like it is going to be a very powerful episode and I’m looking forward to it.

On a more shallow note, anytime Flack and Danny can be in a scene together it turns out great so I’m really excited about that part of it.

Comment by Tracy – August 18, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with your shallow note. Love Flack and would love for him to have a nice moment with Danny in this episode. That being said, kudos to Gary Sinise. The more I read about him, the more impressed I am by his incredibly generous nature.

Comment by Kristin – August 18, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched and episode of CSI: NY in 3 years…but I’ll be watching this one. Thank you Gary.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – August 18, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having lost friends in the tragic events of that day and the many battles since, I’m proud and humbled by Gary’s involvement andtribute to all those fallen heroes.

Comment by Brian B. – August 18, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the first look Matt. Thank you to Gary Sinise for bringing this story to the show, and for all you do for the military and first responders everywhere.

Comment by Juliab. – August 18, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heart Gary Sinise. What a truly good man. On a shallow note, I hope that this episode will show Mac being able to move forward, perhaps with Jo … :)

Comment by Lt.DanFan – August 18, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t have too tough a time making the characters look 10 years younger. Carmine has aged quite a bit during the run of the show (he doesn’t really look old, but like he’s grown up a lot). And Stella has changed quite a bit, especially in the last year :).

Comment by Tego Livi – August 18, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, Gary. As a native New Yorker, this is an episode I will have to see.

Comment by DL – August 18, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll tell you, as someone who was working right across the river from NYC that day, just looking at the fictional yet familiar photo above gives me a lump in my throat, every time.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 18, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for this info. This episode is sure to get the tears flowing and I’m sure it’ll be a wonderful tribute to those who risked and sacrificed their lives that day. I do hope we’ll get to see Lindsay and Jo’s POV as well.

Comment by Lisa – August 18, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve heard we’ll see Jo’s for sure because she worked in DC before joining the NY crime lab. I’d love to see Lindsay and Adam’s POVs too since neither were in NY when the attack happened.

Comment by Tracy – August 18, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I’ve heard we’ll see Jo’s for sure because she worked in DC before joining the NY crime lab.”

Thanks for this :)

Comment by Lisa – August 18, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She and Mac have coffee together, that’s all I know.

Comment by K B – August 19, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have the feeling this will potentially be one of the best CSI NY episodes ever. 1 hour doesn’t seem like enough time for this episode. Since Melina doesn’t work on the show anymore, I wonder if the episode will tell what Stella was doing that day or even Aidan Burn.

Comment by Don J – August 18, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d love for Aiden and Stella to get mentioned, but since the show is only an hour long I have a feeling they won’t mention characters who are no longer there. I’d love to be wrong about that, though. ;)

Comment by Tracy – August 18, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have enormous respect for Gary Sinise. He’s a really high quality actor, but as a man a human being he’s absolute tops.

Comment by Renee – August 18, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The good thing also is Eddie Cahill gets to go back to his haircut from previous seasons and not the goofy greaser hair he had last season.

Comment by Don J – August 18, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aww . . . I liked the “goofy greaser hair.” Poor Eddie, LOL

Comment by Tracy – August 18, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish this is a TWO-HOUR season premiere and push Blue Bloods at 11pm (kidding!!) I mean one week!

Comment by Geeno – August 18, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. 1 hour (44 minutes without commercials) doesn’t seem like enough time to tell this story. But, I trust that Gary and the writers came up with a really compelling story that will satisfy fans and pay tribute to the victims of 9/11

Comment by Don J – August 18, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one reason that I’m glad that CSI:NY got an eighth year. There are several shows that take place in NYC, but Gary Sinise’s support of the military is so well-documented that I find it fitting that his show is going to tackle remembering a day that continues to have a profound and sobering effect on the U.S. to this day.

Comment by Andrea – August 18, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post