Exclusive

Exclusive: Supernatural Stages Buffy Reunion With Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters!

The CW’s Supernatural aims to slay you by reuniting Buffyverse alumni Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters — aka Cordelia and Spike — in one of its Season 7 episodes, TVLine has learned exclusively.

What’s more, the two actors, who previously worked together both on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its David Boreanaz-fronted spin-off Angel, will be playing husband and wife on the spooktacular drama, which launches its new cycle on Friday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c. Watch for this glorious genre-gasm to come in the new season’s fifth episode, titled “Shut Up, Dr. Phil.”

“This episode is ‘Bewitched gone wrong,'” reveals showrunner Sera Gamble. “[It was] all upside for this successful man (Marsters) while he was married to the witch (Carpenter), but now that he’s pissed her off, the whole town is paying the price.”

TVLine happened to be speaking with Carpenter on Wednesday morning (to talk up her Sept. 1 Burn Notice appearance), when she shared what little she could about her Supernatural outing. “My people called me yesterday to see if I wanted to do it and I’m like, ‘Yeah, I’d love to go to Vancouver in the summer!'” she said. “It’s probably one of my all-time favorite cities.”

At the time, little did Carpenter know that the Canadian seaport would be playing host to the biggest on-screen Buffy reunion to date, or at least since her and Nicholas Brendon’s 2006 ABC Family movie, Relative Chaos.

Carpenter and Marsters will film their Supernatural appearance the week of August 22 — after the former swings by New Orleans for a cameo in Haunted High, a just-announced Syfy original movie about teens trapped in a school by the ghost of a headmaster (played by Lost‘s M.C. Gainey). Pulp film icon Danny Trejo (Machete) costars as a possible hero, while Carpenter lords over the school’s library.

“I asked the director, ‘Can I be totally unrecognizable, using make-up effects, or do I have to be a ‘hot’ librarian?’ And he was like, ‘Hot. Librarian,'” she relates with a laugh. “For once, I want to be something different!”

Carpenter was just seen pulling “double” duty this past Monday on Lifetime’s Deadly Sibling Rivalry (encoring Saturday at 9/8c), while Marsters’ most recent TV credits include Hawaii Five-0, Smallville and Caprica.

1. Bored Now says:

I’ll get excited when we get a spoiler about Dean. You know the other guy on the show that is supposed to be a co-lead.

• skepticalinquirer says:

I would totally give up all the cool guest stars if I could see Dean have some other storyline than be someone else’s emotional support but be acknowledged as important in and of himself and not have his whole worth be based on how good a “soldier” or “brother” he is for Sam.

I don’t see why that wish is mocked so much.

2. katpala says:

honestly, its been known by many fans for along time that sera’s prefered character is sam, while kripke’s prefered character is dean. after last season’s characterization debacles (specifically dean), and after backlash from many fans and a lead actor voicing his concerns directly to the head writers, i dont think dean will be tossed to the side in s7 (as some seem to fear). last season was also written in the noir style, which did not fit the show at all. this season they will be going back to the tried and true ‘2 hero outlaws’ style that made the show what it is. i do think we are going to see a very emotional storyline for dean, and i do think he will be back to kicking butt and taking names again. at least, thats the feeling i got after readin what cast and crew have said.

• lara says:

How do you get that feeling when Dean has barely been mentioned this year? Gamble maybe gave him to sentences as an afterthought. Edlund never even referenced Dean during comic con. Even by the guy who plays him admits that he has no individual arc and no spotlight or focus on his character this year?

• lara says:

Also if Dean was Kripke’s favorite, that’s a character that doesn’t need enemies. Kripke is the one that has called Dean a pussy and a loser. Who literally wrote him out of the big heroic climax in season 5. Who made sure that Dean was never given any importance in the show beyond being Sam’s brother. Kripke cares about Dean about as much Gamble does, which is to say, not even slightly. The only advantage with Kripke is that he is not obsessed with getting Sam shirtless at every chance.

• ingrid says:

Sera Gamble has actually written more Dean centric episodes than Sam centric ones. Jared was only shirtless once. To compare, on Vampire Diaries Ian Somerhalder is shirtless every 2 episodes. So you need to find new stuff to bash Sera. You know it’s not her fault she was born wit a vagina, and it’s no reason for people to call her a bitch, fangirl, incompetent, unable to run a show without bias etc, especially when there’s no proof of it on the actual screen. I’m sorry your favorite character isn’t adored and heroic and perfect 100% of the time, I for once like Dean because he’s imperfect. So is Sam. They’re flawed humans. Being Sam’s brother is a big part of Dean’s character. If you don’t get that you actually don’t know Dean very well at all, he grew up taking care of Sam and he’ll always worry about him if the show is to portray realistic characterization.
        You may think you know Dean better than the writers but you don’t. You like an imaginary version of Dean, not the actual Dean. I’m sorry for you.

3. afleck says:

Cordy and Spike? But..but, who will be paying attention to Sam/Jared? They will take the focus off of the great and powerful Sam! Surely Gamble must have lost her mind! Maybe the episode is where both characters tell Sam how awesome and special he is, that’s got to be it. Otherwise, why would they be on the show? It’s unthinkable that any attention be taken away from Sam. It’s just not done in a Supernatural run by Gamble. So, for sure, these two will be drooling over Sam, the special snowflake.

4. jackieg says:

OOOOUUUUU MYYYYYYY GOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

5. ljlj says:

1. As a fan of Buffy/Angel and Supernatural I am super excited that I’ll get to see these two sharing a screen. I’m sure it will be fantastic, and hopefully both their gifts for throwing out a sarcastic quip or a dozen will be used.

2. Apparently from reading the comments I’ve been doing it wrong by watching it as a fun tv show when instead it’s obviously an opportunity to get Righteously Indignant because this character gets more screen time than that character and Mom and Dad (show runners) are playing favourites. I shall stomp off to my room and throw myself onto my Princess bed and drum my fists and feet into the mattress.

6. Suzanne says:

I’ve never watched Supernatural, but I will start now! Love James Marsters and Charisma just makes it better.

• moo says:

Meh! Don’t bother. The show is way past it’s prime. Just DVR the one episode and you should be good to go. It’s a standalone episode anyway.

7. Josh says:

A vengeful woman on Supernatural, that’s new :-p.

But no super psyched! Love Supernatural, love me some Cordy!!

8. david says:

People are carrrying on like they’re gonna see Spike and Cordelia visit Supernatural.Um…no.
    It’s all just stunt casting to try and hide Gamble’s Epic failure as a showrunner and Collin’s pseudo firing. How CW let her get away with this is puzzling.

• Dorothy says:

Why are you all so relentless? Seriously — vent your craziness elsewhere. Or better yet — calm down. Really. It can’t be good for your blood pressure.

9. Ketanyara says:

I read that another Whedonite will be on the show this season. Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly). All hail Whedon! Oh and I love Supernatural and cannot understand the bicker fight bicker. You’re doing it wrong.

10. Moe says:

Sad to see this one good show resorting to stunt casting to try and boost ratings. First Jewel Staite, and now Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters? I guess Sera knows that she’s creatively bankrupt and can’t run this show to save her life, so she’s trying to lure people back with Whedonverse casting. Instead of focusing on writing a decent season long arc, and giving BOTH LEADS a storyline (instead of just one, which is the only one she can talk about), she resorts to stunt casting.

I really can’t believe she’s still in charge of the show, after the debacle that was season 6.

How sad, to see this show fall so far under her regime.

• lola says:

Just how stupid do these writers think we are? They demote Jensen to sidekick, write Castiel off and then think they can make up with it by desperate stunt casting hoping to bring new eyeballs. I guess they’re hoping that if Dean is shoved into the background, then these new viewers will glom onto Sam. But if they haven’t managed to sell Sam for six years despite all their efforts, it ain’t gonna happen now, with or without Dean.

• Aaron says:

Just how stupid do the writers (or anyone else reading these comments) think you are? I don’t thing you want an honest to that.

11. bored now says:

Geez, I’m suddenly remembering why I stay FAR away from Supernatural fan sites. I’m a huge fan of the show since day one. I’ve seen all but one episode (my DVR decided to hate me and I’ve not caught the episode in repeats). Throughout the years I’ve flip-slopped back and forth as to who my favorite brother was, but ultimately just really enjoy watching the story.

I absolutely adore Cas and LOVE Misha. He was and always will be one of my favorite characters on the show. but am I going to stop watching because they’ve downgraded him from a series regular? No, because at the end of the day it’s still Supernatural. It’s still the show I fell in love with years ago and I will continue watching it until the day it goes off the air.

For everyone who says they’ll never watch it again because of Misha, or to those who do nothing but bi#ch about how Sam didn’t have enough screentime, or how Dean didn’t have a proper storyline, maybe it’s time for you to move on. The show is what it is. If you’re unhappy, why put yourselves through this? Find a new show and let SPN go. It’s a television show. Sam, Dean, Cas, they’re not real. They’re creations of Kripke and are now in the hands of Puppetmaster Gamble. That’s just how it is. If you can’t enjoy it as it is, then you don’t have to watch. No one is forcing you and you’re not going to change how it is by complaining and fighting with each other on tvline.com.

As for everyone saying this is stuntcasting and that Sera is jumping the shark. Really? TVLine posted a spoiler with the headline of a Buffy reunion, not Sera. I would hardly count this as a reunion anyway, seeing as Cordy and Spike rarely ever had any interaction. SPN has always had guest stars, and a lot of them come from nerdier fandoms to amuse us fans. I personally was excited to hear that two more Buffy alums would be on the show, just as I was to see Amy Acker, Julie Benz, Amber Benson and Mercedes McNab. It’ll be nice nod to fans of both shows to see them on screen together.

Anyway, I’m stepping off my pedestal now. Maybe I’ll go pop in season 1 and forget I ever wasted my time scanning through these comments.

• Dom says:

I feel exactly the same way! Now please imagine a slow clap in your honor.

• Brooke says:

Amen. Could you imagine if these fangirlies dedicated this much time and energy to a charitable project for people who aren’t as privileged? We’d solve the world hunger problem in no time…

• Dorothy says:

My hero!

• RANDOM caps says:

But it’s a FACT that the character that I love is the BEST THING about this show, and it’s a FACT that the current/past show runner has a PATHOLOGICAL hatred of this character and is in LOVE with the other character thereby giving them more screen time meaning that the show is now THE WORST THING EVER! It’s also a FACT that I must spend hours of my time on a crusade to convince the world of this TRUTH that people are blind to.

So LISTEN UP everyone: a show I used to like is no longer doing the things that made me like it so I no longer watch it and you all must FEEL and THINK the way that I do otherwise you’re doing it wrong.

Now I’m off to find other articles on the internet that talk about upcoming events regarding a show I no longer enjoy and watch so that I can tell everyone in the comments section about how I don’t like or watch it. OFF AND AWAY!

• I see what you did there says:

OMG! You are so witty and clever. You’ve convinced me that the SPN is brilliant and every way and that that ranbows to shoot out of Sera Gambles’ ass. Thank you soooo much for helping me see the error of my ways. Thanks so much for taking time away from your obviously busy and fabulous life to come and tell people on the internet that they are wrong. I don’t know how you can make time for us here, when you’re busy doing same thing in your moderating job. It really is very, very awesome of you. But you already know that, don’t you?

• RANDOM caps says:

NO, NO, NO! That is NOT what I was SAYING there! You deluded Gambleites and your ridiculous and irrational way you have of LIKING a show I HATE! I assume you’re one of THOSE, because liking or disliking the show’s direction is PICKING A SIDE, and you have clearly chosen the WRONG side in your liking of a show that I no longer do. I seriously have to wonder whether you have lost all sense of decency and PERSPECTIVE.

You are RIGHT though, my time is precious, so now OFF I go to fight more battles telling people who are gathered to hear news about something that they LIKE that they are WRONG to do so. Oh, and also that I’m awesome, but that didn’t need to be spelled out.

• spambrando says:

Well-said. I’m just wondering how many of these posters are either just teenagers or trolls. Way too much melodrama for a freakin TV show.

12. Jesse says:

It’s a crying shame when you voice a completely valid opinion about a show that you have been a fan of since Day 1, and are suddenly beset on from all sides by people who disagree. Why does there have to be a war between the Dean fans, the Sam fans, and the Castiel fans? SUPERNATURAL has proven its worth time and time again, and it’s garnered enough good will from me that I am happy to ride it out until the end. The worst part about being a fan of this show is the other fans. Unlike any other fandom I belong to, Supernatural fans are just plain evil. They don’t just disagree with you, they have to attack your entire being, making wild assumptions, and then try to prove their intellectual superiority to you over and over again by correcting the spelling of an actor’s name. To “I see what you did there”, you are the worst kind of fanatic. You’re an embarrassment to everything that is good about this show. Go away and leave people in peace.

• I see what you did there says:

LOL! You’re the one calling people bitches and telling them to stop posting their, also, perfectly valid opinions. Although it does seem that you believe that only you are entitled to have an opinion and that no one must disagree with you. You do know you’re on the internet right and people are actually allowed to disagree with you? Here’s a tip. If you dish out the nastiness, it’s gonna lash back. If that upsets you, maybe you should try practicing what you preach by actually engaging in civil discussion instead of childish insults. Or maybe you should just run back to one of your samcentric little enclaves where everyone will agree with you, because you don’t seem very good with differing opinions.

• EJ says:

I see what you did there -> you really seem to need professional help. You seem to have no self-control whatsoever. And the hatred you spew is disturbing.

• I see what you did there says:

Hey EZ. Thanks for chiming in. Guess reading comprehension isn’t really your forte huh? Not when you blithely ignore people who call other people bitches, tell them they can’t disagree and you go after people who call them out. Tells one of two things. You’re a Jesse sockpuppet or just remarkably stupid. Either way, your skewed view of the world suggests you also need therapy.

• Jesse says:

Skewed version of the world? They’re not the one accusing literally everyone of being sockpuppets (whatever the heck those are) or Sam fans. Because apparently that’s all that exist in your mind, and it’s your personal mission from Castiel (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?) to make sure they all pay for having opinions which differ from yours. I called you a bitch because you are unnecessarily confrontational, rude, mean-spirited and spewing irrational accusations at people. Please seek psychological help. I am not a member of any of the ridiculous factions that have sprung up, I was just a fan trying to voice an opinion that the angel storyline has run it’s course. YOUR zealotry caused this. YOU are the one to blame. I’ve already wasted more of my life having this argument than I should have, since it seems to have all the effect of beating my head against a brick wall. Have a good life.

• Jesse says:

I’m actually a Dean fan. Jared’s hair bothers me. :-P Relax, please. It’s just a TV show.

P.S. Do you sleep? You’ve been up all night!

• I see what you did there says:

Ah Jesse, I see you’re back on your meds. Good for you. By the way, ever heard of time zones?

• sagan says:

Oh run back to THAB where everyone agrees with you. It’s like an echo chamber there.

13. Dee says:

Ugh, Matt, as much as it pains me to say this, maybe the whole site should just refrain from posting Supernatural news.

This fandom is beyond pathetic. If you love the show no matter what, you are called a “Samgirl” and a Gamble lover.

The Dean girls think their actor shoots rainbows out of his behind and is the greates actor since Olivier and the precious actor is wasting his time by being on the show.

Guess what? Neither actor is better than the other. The actors have said they would not do the show any longer if one or the other wasn’t involved. Get over it. It is two for the price of one.

Maybe if you do have to post Supernatural news you can just turn off the comments section.

14. Milla says:

SWEET! :)))))))))
    Smile all over my face, YEAHY!
    This made my day:)

15. Ephiny says:

That is a whole lotta pretty for one TV screen – if Misha’s in that episode too I might just need a bib (for all the drooling) :) Can’t wait for this ep!

16. seeingdouble says:

Thanks everyone! i loved all of your posts. They always remind me of how well adjusted i am.
    FYI – You do realize that Dean, Sam, Cas and even Bobby are not real? They are characters on a TV show. You’ve displayed so much malice and petty anger toward each other over something that isn’t even real. Breathe everyone.

*good get SN! Charisma & James in one ep sounds like fun.

17. family is everything says:

There is no Dean without Sam and there is no Sam without Dean.
    John, Mary, Jessica, Bobby, Castiel etc. have all played a wonderful part in Dean & Sam’s universe (Supernatural), some have come and gone and some have come and stayed, but it is the Winchester brothers together that made all of the rest of it possible.

18. Bookenz says:

When are they going to get smart and give James Marsters his OWN tv show. He’s amazingly talented.

• Aaron says:

I agree, but I had to laugh because after reading through the comments I had forgotten that this was a casting spoiler. Supernatural fans are….intense and use just about any opportunity to scream their opinions from the mountaintop. Even if they really have nothing to do with the article in question.

19. Bewitched says:

“Bewitched” in the style Supernatural, please, but of the guest stars. Ok!:/

20. GaiaPapaya says:

it’s not the BIGGEST Buffy/Angel reunion

in HIMYM we have Alyson, we’ve had Alexis and in one episode WITH Alexis there was Amy Acker (just watching the episode, it’s when Ted/Robyn come together while Marshall/Lily break up, S1 Finale)

21. amanda says:

try watching this show at tvhod online tv so that you can watch it anytime and anywhere you are.

22. Jen says:

Okay, I love seeing actors from Buffy pop up on this show and this news has made my day. Definitely something to look forward to next season. Yay James! I was hoping he’d appear on this show and now he is, and with Charisma to boot. On a sidenote, the comments on here are exactly why I stay away from this fandom. I’ve enjoyed the show since the first season and while my interest dropped a little over time I’ve still watched every episode, but the crazy fans are what prevent me from going to cons, writing fanfic or joining fan communities for this show.

23. L says:

Dean has had his time in the limelight. Sammy has had his time in the limelight. You Supernatural extremists need to chill and just enjoy all that is Sam and Dean and any cool guest stars that may add intrigue.

24. tricia says:

Amen amen amen I’m excited to say the least… And ringer will be out too…my friends r back lol

25. Rachel says:

To be honest, this ep sounds like it should be awesome. The storyline sounds decent and we’ve got a bunch of great actors playing it out. Give me that, and I’m good.

That and thanks to Brooke, Drew, ljlj and others for actually trying to be reasonable. Seems like something of a lost cause, but thanks for trying :)

26. jessie says:

This is going to be awesome one of my fav tv shows with two of my fav buffy actors that is freaking cool I”M so geeked to see what they are gonna do this fall :::::))))))

27. Pablo says:

Es increíble volver a ver a dos personajes de la serie de Buffy reunidos de nueva cuenta, Charisma Carpenter me gusta mucho y mis respetos a James Marters, saludos desde México.

It was a wonderful notice to see Charisma Carpenter -she is lovely- and James Marters, a good actor, in the new chapter on different TV program!!!!! Grettings from Mexico!!!!!

• Dee says:

Saludos, Pablo!!

James is totally awesome in everything he appears in.

No recuerdo si su personaje en Hawaii 5-0 murio o se fugo?
      Did his character in Hawaii 5-0 die or get away.

Looking forward to the start of the season!! A week and a half to go!!!!

28. Eric Vincent says:

I demand Angel come back with cordilia and spike both. That was the best show and buffy should be on it also!

29. mkls says:

Wow! Reading the comments on this article gave me serious flashbacks to the Buffy/Angel vs. Buffy/Spike wars! Now THOSE were some nasty, vicious battles!

Looking forward to seeing Charisma & JM on the show. Hope their characters are good and snarky. :-)

30. Nayru says:

It’s tempting.
    But then again, they won’t be Cordie and Spike.
    .. I’ll stick to the Buffy & Angel dvds, methinks.

31. spambrando says:

Wow, all this whining and fighting over characters on a TV show? They way some of you people are obsessively either defending or vilifying the characters of Sam, Dean and Cas is astounding. Good to see Bobby’s not getting “FLAYED”. It’s a TV show. Anyone feeling the need to go overboard with the comments and insults has no life and quite possibly is lacking any meaningful friendship. These actors are not your friends, nor will defending or bashing any of them change anything. It’s a terrific show with a terrific cast and, much as we may like a character or not, the show must go on and so must a new storyline. Sad to see a couple of trolls here causing you people to go bananas. IMHO, I love the show mostly for the character of Dean Winchester (yes, there is an “H” in the name) and the way Ackles delivers. My only gripe is that Sam cries too much but hey, if any of us were in real-life turmoil as these characters are, we’d cry a lot too. Just sayin’. Now, everyone play nice and either enjoy the show for what it brings or just change the da*ned channel. I’m still royally ticked off that Human Target was cancelled but life goes on.

32. duane says:

This isn’t th first buffy\angel casting in supernatural. Amber benson, amy acker, mercedes mcnad all guest starred. Gotta love supernatural for helping fill the void left after buffy ended

33. Blinking in Amazement says:

Some people go so hard in this fandom. I have to admit I hated Sam for a while because EVERYTHING just seemed to end up being about him, but it was such a love hate thing. I still adored Sammy and just wanted him to stop being such a liar to Dean. I love then both and love their relationship. And when I say that I DONT mean wincest. I loved the cute little brotherly things they did. And the hugs and the bitch/jerk thing and the prank wars and taking playful swats at each other. The little things have been sucked out of the show. All thats left is angst. but I’m addicted to it so I keep watching anyway hoping that at will get better. If Cas stays dead in such a disappointing way I am going to be pissed, because I love him too. *sniff*…and Bobby.