Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Supporting Actor In a Comedy Trophy? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Glee, Polls

If you thought the men of Modern Family had a strong grip on Emmy’s Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category back in 2010, then this year it’s nothing short of a stranglehold. Four of the six actors in the 2011 race — Ty Burrell, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ed O’Neill, and last year’s winner Eric Stonestreet — hail from ABC’s uproarious Wednesday-night sitcom. Only 2009 Emmy winner Jon Cryer (nominated for the sixth straight year for Two and a Half Men) and 2011 Golden Globe winner Chris Colfer (up for the second straight year for Glee) keep this category from being redubbed Best Supporting Actor from the Pritchett-Dunphy Clan.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine gentlemen to the podium when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (453)

• Anyone BUT Jon Cryer and Chris Colfer. Thankyouverymuch.

Comment by Chmarin – August 17, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Juliana – August 17, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Chris colfer certainly deserves this emmy nomination and he Also deserves to win. He is an immense acting talent and can play comedy as easily as the more dramatic. He is an all-rounder and up against these seasoned professionals he really holds his own. He shold win this especially if the catagory is judged as it should be as in it is for the best performance IN acomedy and not for, as usually assumed and voted, best comedic performance.

Comment by MRC – August 17, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, no. To every word you said.

Comment by tripoli – August 17, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s a shame that people are so jealous of Chris Colfer’s talent that they feel that they have to denegrate him. There is no denying his immense acting talent and people should have more respect. He deserves this nomination and he deserves to win.

Comment by Jamie Morris – August 18, 2011 03:12 AM PDT
          • UM! YES, to everything MRC said. Chris Colfer deserves this.

Comment by Sarah – August 18, 2011 03:17 AM PDT
          • Chris Colfer DOES deserve it. Unfortunately Glee is a dramedy, considered a comedy, but all of Chris’ parts this year were heavy on the drama side. He is still very talented and his portrayal of Kurt was outstanding.

Comment by Somebody – August 18, 2011 04:52 AM PDT
          • I don’t know if Chris Colfer can act, never having seen him in anything, but he is incredibly unnatural at having his picture taken. TVLine has about 30 pictures of him every day, and every last one of them has the exact same expression–a ludicrously exaggerated fake smile, dead on at the camera. You can tell it’s fake because it doesn’t reach his eyes, but he tries too hard so it nearly reaches his ears. I hope he has other expressions on the show.

Comment by Tego_Livi – August 18, 2011 08:25 AM PDT
          • I will pee on everything you love. Chris Colfer is amazing and more talented then any of those actors showing that he is the most brilliant actor on the show he is in.

Comment by RM – August 18, 2011 11:05 AM PDT
          • you’re an idiot, at least state valid reasoning behind negating someone’s comment. This just makes you appear childish. Chris Colfer is fantastic and completely deserves the nomination.

Comment by gleeker – August 18, 2011 11:20 AM PDT
          • It’s a shame you cannot actually come up with a well supported response to a well written comment.

Comment by G – August 18, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
        • His voice is shrill and annoying, as is his face. Painful to watch him sing, honestly. Sadly, the Modern Family nominees will probably cancel one another out.

Comment by SM – August 18, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually, the Modern Family guys stand more chance of winning, as they each get to sumbit an episode, so there are four more things that they can be seen in. Chris Colfer can only be seen in his own episode, so the odds are against him. Shame, because, much as I like Modern family, Chris Colfer has performed outstandingly this season and definitely deserves to win the Emmy.

Comment by Mark – August 18, 2011 08:08 AM PDT
          • Painful? God, his voice is just different, god i hate it when people say that he can’t sing. He’s an amazing singer and an amazing actor. And yes i think he should get this award, he try’s so hard. Oh yeah Glees all about accepting who you are , yeah they’ve chosen a boy who has the voice and talent rather than the looks. You have Darren Criss for that. Just my opinion have a nice day!

Comment by Freya dIxon – August 19, 2011 12:06 AM PDT
          • “His voice is shrill and annoying, as is his face.”

Um, no. Wrong. But way to be shallow, petty, and jealous. Chris Colfer is an all-around talent and he’s accomplished more at his age than most people do in a lifetime. His character on Glee is so important to so many different people, and he absolutely deserves this.

Comment by Elle – August 19, 2011 07:49 AM PDT
          • Won’t the Emmy voters see three episodes of Glee? If Jane Lynch submits Furt, which is a stunning vehicle for her incredible range as Sue Sylvester, and the show itself, also nominated, submits Grilled Cheesus which had amazing writing and showcased moving and brilliantly comedic yet dramatic performances by every member of the cast, then Chris could submit any of the episodes he is largely featured in and the voters will see his incredible range as well as his natural, subtle, moving acting with YES, fantastic comedic timing and sensibilities. I hope he submits Original Song, which has lots of his understated comic timing (watch him acting throughout the opening number Misery; it’s splendid, and “Blaine and the Pips” … come on, his delivery of comic lines is perfect) and his scenes are peppered throughout the episode, with a great range of acting style proving his transcendent skill, deserving of an Emmy.

Comment by Jen – August 19, 2011 12:12 PM PDT
          • Chris Colfer definitely deserves to win this Emmy. Someone commented about the judges seeing three of Chris’ episodes because Jane Lynch and Dot Marie Jones will also be submitting. I couldn’t reply to that comment, because it wouldn’t let me click on it. However, the judges of Chris’s catagory will most likely not be judging Jane or Dot Maries catagories, so they will not get those episodes to watch unfortunately. It would be great if they could, but Chris’s episode is outstanding. He is up against it, however, because the modern family guys get to be seen in each others episodes. Chris Colfer is an amazing all-round talent. He’ll hopefully go far in Hollywood. He certainly deserves to.

Comment by Michael Poynter – August 19, 2011 02:24 PM PDT
          • Oh goodness. The face thing was unneccessary.He is amazing, outstanding, and inspirational. He is flippin’ hilarious!! And he is super fantastic at singing. He is my favorite singer, and he is not even a singer!!! Stop being shallow, and go look up talent, because Chris Colfer is the definition of it.

Comment by Madison – September 1, 2011 04:06 PM PDT
        • Chris deserves the nom but is not even close to the talent of any of the four modern family guys. Give him a few years but right now his acting is not as subtle and his comedic delivery is often wanting. See great things for him in the FUTURE.

Comment by kyrjar – August 18, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m sorry, but i disagree on the whole with your comment. Chris Colfer is an extremely subtle actor and his comedic delivery is always spot on.

Your post is also an example of subtlety. Make it seem as though you are supporting someone, but then add the little digs and negative comments. Well done, but not good enough. Chris Colfer has proven his acting talent. The Golden Globe is not given out to just anyone and Chris well and truly earned his Golden Globe. Chris Colfer does deserve to go far in the acting world. He is extremely talented.

Comment by L M Jaques – August 18, 2011 11:55 AM PDT
          • So true, Chris is great I’m not gonna lie, But in this category, I can see two more actor with better performance than him, and one of them won last year.

Comment by Mike – August 18, 2011 12:06 PM PDT
        • Chris Colfer deserves to win, but not in the comedy catagory. As someone else said, most of his scenes are drama, and he deserves to win for that.

Comment by Duane – August 18, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The catagory that Chris Colfer is nominated for is Best supporting Actor IN a Comedy and NOT best comedic performance. I do wish people would read the Catagories properly.

Comment by Jamie – August 18, 2011 11:59 AM PDT
        • You are absolutley right.

Comment by Kay – August 18, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • CHRIS COLFER GOD I LOVE HIM HES PERFECT THEN ANYONE ELSE HE DESERVES TO WIN JUST HOPING THAT HE WILL BE BACK TO GLEE IN SEPTEMBER

Comment by NICOLE E CURRY – August 18, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Chris colfer of course<3

Comment by sara – August 18, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I AGREE Vote for Chris!!! Amazing Kid what a talent we’ll be seeing alot from him!

Comment by Doreen – August 19, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS! :)

Comment by Roma – August 17, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ed O’Niel the only straight man in the bunch.

Comment by HeMan – August 18, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am going to ignore the homophobic undertones of He-Man’s post as it is beneath contempt.

Chris Colfer is an immense new talent and he fully deserves his place among the nominees and quite frankly, I think he deserves to win the Emmy.

Comment by Brendon – August 18, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not to mention the fact that actors who portray Gay people on TV are not necessarily gay themselves, ie: Chris Colfer. Do your research before you make statements that make you look uneducated :)

Comment by Karelia – August 18, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • actually chris is gay, just saying. he totally deserves to win

Comment by sam – August 18, 2011 11:19 AM PDT
          • Chris colfer is indeed gay. Darren criss isnt. I would know because im kind of obsessed with Chris. He is, he said so himself in an interview.

Comment by Jordan – August 18, 2011 03:22 PM PDT
          • Actually, Chris is gay. Not trying to be rude or anything like that, I also totally love him and his portrayal of Kurt is extremely inspirational. He deserves to win more than anyone else, just wanted to point that out :)

Comment by Emmy – August 23, 2011 10:07 PM PDT
        • Maybe you should do some research before you say stupid crap! Not all of them are homosexual!

Comment by CherBear – August 18, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • HeMan and his ignorance. Wow. Ty Burrell and Eric Stonestreet are straight. Dunno about the guy from Two and a Half Men because I don’t watch it/have no interest. And who cares whether they’re gay or not? It’s about TALENT, not sexual preference. Idiot.

Comment by tellitlikeitis – August 18, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is is possible that he meant the word in the traditional sense when comparing acting styles in comedies, i.e. Ed O’Neill plays the straight man to his costars zanier performances?

Comment by Amber – August 20, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • very diplomatic of you, but if that were the case, then Chris is also what could be perceived as the ‘Straight man’ of Glee being as how every one is keen to point out that his role is not comedic, so there would be two straight men in the bunch. Chris Colfer really deserves to get the Emmy this year. His performance shows his immense overall talent and in the funny moments he has on Glee, he really shows a great comedic talent also.

Comment by J D Morgan – August 22, 2011 09:43 AM PDT
    • abed jeff troy
      a

Comment by s – August 17, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!

Comment by Alice – August 17, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by MC – August 17, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Comment by Lindsey – August 17, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly.

Comment by lawyerchick99 – August 17, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed…sort of. I definitely don’t think 2 1/2 men should be nominated or win anything but Chris is more deserving than Jon. My vote goes to Ty though.

Comment by Samantha – August 17, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes please

Comment by kirain – August 17, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. From most deserved to least deserved:

1. Ty Burrel (or Nick Offerman or Danny Pudi)
      2, 3, & 4. Ed O’Neill or Jesse Tyler Ferguson or Eric Stonestreet
      5. Jon Cryer
      6. Chris Colfer

Comment by Chris – August 18, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with your rankings. And before everyone jumps down my throat, I am a Glee fan and have been since the beginning. I’m also a Chris Colfer fan, but I think Ty Burrell has been outstanding for the past two years on Modern Family, and he’s been overlooked. He is the most deserving.

Comment by Lauren – August 18, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree Lauren. I think Ed O’Neill is perfect too. Sometimes, they are so good it doesn’t come across as acting.
          I realize there’s a big group of Chris Colfer fans. I think what his role on the show has done to educate and inspire teens is amazing. However, despite how some of you make it sound, he’s not an academy award or even Emmy caliber actor. Honestly, I think there are more deserving actors on Glee that should have been nominated instead. I love the show – I enjoy the comedy, drama and music. I just don’t think the role is much of a stretch for Chris – and Matthew Morrison or Corey Monteith play much more complex characters.
          And before you accuse me of gay-bashing..I am gay..and the award should be based on talent as an actor, not role model. I am thrilled for his nomination, and again, the exposure it brings to the world about acceptance of the gay and lesbian community!

Comment by ViewerLA – August 18, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Chris Colfer has proved his acting talent and ability. He already has a Golden Globe under his belt and deserves many more awards like this. His character is the most well-rounded and complex in the show. He acts with such truth. He is a wonderfully subtle and believable actor and gives powerhouse performances all the time. Chris Colfer is the most talented actor on the show and he deserves his nomination and he deserves to win.

Comment by Andrew – August 18, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
          • Don’t know where this Gay-bashing thought of yours suddenly came from. Makes me wonder why you said that and mentioned that you were Gay yourself. Weird!

Chris Colfer’s sexuality has nothing to do with whether or not he can act. He is an incredibly talented actor and is also an all-rounder. I feel that he could cope with anything that is thrown at him acting wise and will always give a powerful and believable performance. As for Glee not giving him enough of a stretch, I agree, he could cope with so much more than that. I think he’s got an incredible career ahead of him and as I’ve already mentioned, it should have absolutely nothing to do with his sexuality.

Comment by MDB – August 18, 2011 12:15 PM PDT
          • Actually, I didn’t think it was a huge stretch for him either until I watched a lot of his interviews and read more about him. I honestly don’t think he’s that much like Kurt Hummel–at least, it’s ridiculous to say that other actors have more of a “stretch.”

I do enjoy him as a performer, and I do think he has a lot of room to grow. This is basically his first professional job if you don’t count the indie short right before it. He just turned 21. I kind of hope he wins the Emmy, because he is a good actor and seems like such a sweet, genuine person, but the other nominees are honestly just as deserving.

I think he would have had a better shot with a submission like Prom Queen; he does have a full range of emotions, expressions, and positive and negative traits that just don’t come through in Grilled Cheesus.

Comment by Penny – August 19, 2011 06:42 AM PDT
          • I think what the comment about Chris’ role not giving him much of a stretch in Glee was referring to, was not that he was so much like Kurt that it was easy for him as Chris Colfer is very obviously nothing like Kurt, but he has managed to create a character that is completely and utterly believable. However, because of his immense talent, Chris can be stretched a lot further, so he shouldn’t just be tied to Glee. He should be given a much larger variety of roles and be given many more opportunities to shine. His talent should not be wasted. He definitely deserves to win this Emmy.

Comment by Martin – August 19, 2011 02:38 PM PDT
      • LOL, and your name is totally Chris.

Comment by John – August 23, 2011 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cryer should get it just for working with Sheen.but my fav is GLEE Kids all the way.

Comment by w marts – August 18, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chris Colfer deserves this more than anybody.

Comment by klisses – August 18, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that! :D

Comment by Mike – August 18, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone BUT the Modern Family cast.

Comment by Becky – August 19, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s your reason? I gotta be honest, I literally hate him at the first sight because he looks like a girl and because he’s on GLEE and at that time I thought it was the cheesiest show ever but upon learning about the story, I started to like GLEE so I dug a little more information about this Colfer guy and I found out that he’s actually a nice guy and has a big personality. And I also like him being sarcastic about everything and the person on the show that can make me laugh the most is him (facial expression, body language, his voice, his comments). Now I really like him and his character…

Comment by mie-lha – August 26, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick Offerman

Comment by Li'l Sebastien – August 17, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA! let’s hope people are smarter next year.

Comment by sara – August 17, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen.

Comment by Tyler – August 17, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding. I like Modern Family, but seriously – nothing beats Ron Swanson.

Comment by Em – August 17, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could be down with Swanson having an Emmy even if I’m firmly in the Danny Pudi camp.

Comment by Me – August 17, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Phil Dunphy does by far

Comment by Mike – August 17, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Mike

Comment by Li'l Sebastien – August 17, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • never
          never, ever, ever
          that is sacrilege, and you sir don’t deserve to comment on or watch either of these shows. i love both, but it is an indisputable fact that ron swanson is one of the greatest comedic characters out there, and that he is much better than the guys on modern family, i can see one or two deserving the nomination, but to have four, especially when you exclude swanson, abed, troy, and the like, is an absolute disgrace. the emmy’s have been so diluted because of retarded decisions like this

Comment by henry hayze – August 17, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Modern Family, but the best sitcom on network tv is Parks and Rec. Ron “Effin” Swanson should, at the very least, be nominated, so the voters could come over to his house and SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD!

Comment by Walter Prager – August 17, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Ron Swanson was asked whether he was ready to be considered the best supporting actor for the 2011 Emmies, I believe his response was:
      “I was born ready. I’m Ron *beep/blur*ing Swanson.”

Comment by Alice – August 17, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word. I am still shocked that 4 of the actors on MF were nominated and the man behind Ron FREAKING Swanson was snubbed. I used to really like Modern Family but it was stale this year, Offerman should have been nominated and should have got the win. The end.

Comment by Janet Snakehole – August 18, 2011 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell Yes!

Comment by Olive – August 19, 2011 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really a battle of the “Family” men, and while I really enjoyed all their performances, Ty Burrell takes home the gold for me!

Comment by sara – August 17, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont know why they keep nominating Jon Cryer, he is just awful to watch in Two and a half men

Comment by rod – August 17, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s probably a reward for having to work with Charlie Sheen…

Comment by Buffy Freak – August 17, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He should’ve pulled a Katherine Heigl and given his nomination away.

Comment by Sal – August 17, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then don’t watch it

Comment by Madman97330 – August 18, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My pick out of these six would be Jesse Tyler Ferguson, but only because I’m not so in love with Modern Family that I think Stonestreet deserves 2 emmys, although he’s the best of the male cast.

But, I think we all know, there are a wealth of names missing here. Admittedly, I’m a bit biased towards the NBC sitcoms, but I was really rather outraged to see a short list void of Community’s Donald Glover and Danny Pudi, and Parks and Recreation’s Nick Offermen and Adam Scott. In my opinion all 4 should have been nominated.

Comment by Sean D – August 17, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with you about the noms, it’s outrageous, and i don’t think the winner can truly consider themselves as being the best without having to beat out those guys. the guys on modern family range from great to good, but they are destroyed by the guys on community and parks & rec. also tho, i think mac from it’s always sunny deserves to be up there too

Comment by liam regan – August 17, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you go ty! you deserves it sooooo much!

Comment by nathália – August 17, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Modern Family men will all split the votes, and this award will go easily to Chris Colfer. Curse you Glee!

Comment by Sean D – August 17, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I’m afraid will happen too. I think Chris Colfer is overrated. He doesn’t suck, but I can think of many actors who deserved a spot over him. I hope the Gleeks don’t put a hit out on me now!

Comment by Jessica – August 17, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t happen last year, so don’t sweat it this year. Plus, with each of them able to submit multiple episodes, voters will get to see the equivalent of half the season before they cast their ballots. I’m sure that’s enough time to realize that any of the four have more comedic chops than Chris Colfer or John Cryer could ever dream about having.

Comment by Ken Adams – August 17, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You sir are an idiot.
        Chris colfer is am amazing actor his wit and humor are far better. I’m sure you have never even seen him act. So stfu

Comment by Ymar – August 17, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m agree, Chris Colfer is not and never’ll ve overrated, he is an incredible actor and he deserves so much to win. Than men is a star and he is by far the most incredible actor from above.

Comment by Amber – August 17, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed, plus he`s soooo sweet, have you guys heard his speech from when he won this Emmy the first time? Or his more serious interviews, he`s just so nice.

Comment by Emmy – August 23, 2011 10:13 PM PDT
        • You sir, can’t type. I’ll take being called an idiot by someone who can’t properly place a semi-colon.

Comment by Ken Adams – August 25, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I am a religious viewer of Glee and I can tell you, Chris Colfer dosen’t deserve this nom. He isn’t funny and never has been since the Pilot, he gets zingy one liners similar to Naya Rivera or a funny moment. He gets this nomination because the Emmy’s want better ratings and need to nominate someone gay to recognize that community and get LGBTQXYZ from jumping down their throats. He won’t win and frankly he is overrated. I need to see him do something outside of Glee.

Comment by Lucy Loo – August 17, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oh come on!
          from the first moment that little boy oh-so-nonchalantly smoothed his coif back in place with the bored flick of a finger while hitting a high note for 30 seconds, a star. was. born…

Chris Colfer is the real. deal. and he’s just getting started.

the other nominees have been playing (okay, refining…) these same parts for 20 years — they just changed networks.

But big hugs to Jon Cryer too — you damn well do deserve that emmy for putting up with that dumba– for all these years — heck give one to his ex-wife and dad and brothers too! stay strong, jon!!

Comment by autumn – August 17, 2011 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m curious. Do you have a daily quota of periods you have to reach with each post? That’s. Not. Cute.

Comment by Ken Adams – August 25, 2011 02:30 PM PDT
        • your ignorance is stunning. last year’s emmy winner was for a gay character.

Comment by DUH – August 18, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know how many times it has to be said, the title of the category is “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series” NOT “Outstanding Comedic Actor”. Chris Colfer doesn’t HAVE to be funny by those standards, just has to be a great actor.

Now with that said, Nick Offerman should have not only been nominated, but won the whole damn thing. But if I have to choose from the nominees, Ed O’Neill for sure. As much as I love Ty Burrell and I do mean LOVE him on MF, Ed O’Neill kills it for me every single time. Watch the scene where he picks up Mitchell and Claire from their old childhood home or the scene where Gloria’s stray makes his sales pitch for “Good Doggie, Bad Doggie” treats. He kills it.

Comment by Jess – August 18, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Cannot believe Nick Offerman didn’t get nominated. Ditto Danny Pudi. I really dislike the four nominations for an average series, especially when people like the two above get snubbed in exchange.

Comment by Lauren – August 18, 2011 11:10 AM PDT
    • As as been often mentioned, Glee is not really a comedy and has no business in this category.
      The problem is, they have to put it somewhere as things now stand.
      They can’t really call it a drama and there is no official “dramedy” category.

Comment by J.Norman – August 17, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^ This has always been my issue. Glee doesn’t fit very well into any catagory, so they put it comedy for lack of a better place. Chris is an amzing actor and himself is very funny, but his character in the show often takes a backseat to others, leaving him just short conversations in many episodes. Also, his biggest and his most memorable storylines have been emotional so when he does get more screentime he’s usually crying or angry making these emotions what he is remembered for instead of his numerous comedic onelines which have been so spread out throughout the series they aren’t acknowledged often.

Just pointing it out :)

Comment by Sara – August 17, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty Burrel!!!

Comment by fanseriali – August 17, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burrell is amazing on that show.

Comment by China Blue – August 17, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody but Chris Colfer

Comment by Sarah – August 17, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ty Burell, Phil Dunphy is awesome, i wish i have a dad like him, he is just amazing, his reactions, i love him

Comment by Lore – August 17, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters gonna hate! Chris FTW!!

Comment by Seth – August 17, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PREACH!

Comment by Sarah – August 17, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chris is good but Ty is better

Comment by Mike – August 17, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s anyone other than Ty Burrell, I’ll be shocked.

Good Cop Bad Dog was one of the best episodes of MF this season. Burrell killed it.

Comment by Maeve – August 17, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word!

Comment by Christine S. – August 17, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen

Comment by Mike – August 17, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely!! Ty Burrell makes me laugh out loud several times every single Wednesday night. Phil Dunphy is a fantastic character and I can’t imagine anyone else playing this role!

Comment by Lauren – August 18, 2011 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer is by far the most outstanding actor of the Emmy nominees. He should definitely win. I know his performance wasn’t comedic, however this catagory is for best performance IN a comedy and Chris colfer’s performance stands out way above the Modern family guys and jon cryer.

Comment by Jonathon – August 17, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree so much with you

Comment by Laney – August 17, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The category is for “performance in a comedy” not “comedic performance”. Chris Colfers submitted episode was incredible, for the longest time I avoided listening to I Want To Hold Your Hand simply because I was so overcome by emotion every time I heard it. And his dramatic performance balanced nicely with the humor in the ep.

Comment by Zooniverse – August 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glee is not a comedy more a dramady

Comment by Jon – August 17, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just looked that back up since it’d been a while since I saw it, and YES. Holy crap, in tears now. If he loses, I’ll have to think that the voters thought ‘not comedic’ or decided he’ll have other chances.

Comment by Darsy – August 17, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All he can do is cry that all he does on Glee, Ty and the rest of the MF guys are far better

Comment by Jon – August 17, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if Ty Burrell or Chris Colfer won. However I feel like all the Modern Family men are deserving. While Glee has gone downhill I do think that Chris Colfer is a consistent good part of the show. I just wish Nick Offerman or Danny Pudi could have taken Jon Cryers spot…

Comment by Ally – August 17, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ This. Chris Colfer is one of the few consistently good things on a show that has been very erratic in its story arch and quality… I want Chris Colfer to win this Emmy, because I felt that his performance on the submitted episode was simply amazing. However, I also have the same ambivalence as the others, because Glee is not exactly a through and through comedy series as the Modern Family. That being said, Ty would also be a good choice for this category. He cracks me up so much on MF.

Comment by fragil3thing – August 18, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • first of all, obligatory NICK OFFERMAN. otherwise, ty is by far the funniest imo, but i’m rooting for colfer because i just love that kid.

Comment by tracy – August 17, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty Burrell! Easily my favorite character on Modern Family.

Comment by alyssa – August 17, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously Danny Pudi.

Oh.

Comment by Sam – August 17, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This a thousand times over.

Comment by Me – August 17, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Chris Colfer, please. He’s not funny and has no comedic timing. It isn’t really acting if all you’re doing is playing yourself on tv!

Comment by Ann – August 17, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hes NOT playing himself, nor is he a comedic character. The show is the comedy and he the supporting actor, doesn’t mean he has to be comedic.

Comment by Laney – August 17, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glee really isn’t a comedy.

Name one actor that has won best actor/supporting actor for playing a dramatic role in a comedy show.

Comment by Rico – August 17, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Edie Falco, for Nurse Jackie. But she’s way better than Kurt. He got the Golden Globe because the Hollywood Foreign Press is less than 90 people and Europe loves Glee. But there are way more Emmy voters, and they seem to prefer other shows with more nuance performances.

Comment by Alice – August 17, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Let’s forget about the category. Chris Colfer is one of the most incredibles actors on earth, he deserves to win and even if he doesn’t have lot of comedy scenes, he is funny.

Comment by Gaby – August 17, 2011 03:13 PM PDT
          • Can I just say he HAS won any Emmy before. And it was fantastic.

Comment by Emmy – August 23, 2011 10:17 PM PDT
    • In what way is Chris Colfer “playing himself?” I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by not assuming that you mean “well, he’s gay and his character’s gay” because by that logic, then Jesse Tyler Ferguson shouldn’t be on here, either. (And neither should Ty, Ed, or Jon, since they’re all three straight men playing straight men.) Anyone who has read a single interview with Chris Colfer knows that other than sharing a sexual orientation (and perhaps the fact that both can sing well), he and Kurt Hummel are nothing alike. So in what way is he “playing himself”?

Comment by Kaci – August 17, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you even know anything about him? maybe you should watch a few of his interviews, he is nothing like his character the only thing they have in common is that they are both gay and share the same body.
      This category is best supporting actor in a comedy it´s not his fault that most of his parts are drama, and every time he does get funny stuff he nails it.
      He deserves to win just as much as the modern family guys.

Comment by Evyn – August 17, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, honey. He is nothing like his character. The only similarity is that they’re both gay. Plus, this category is for actors IN a comedy- not best supporting comedian. Chris Colfer is by far the most deserving. His character is very real and deep and he pulls it off perfectly. Your argument is invalid.

Comment by Haley – August 17, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And how is your argument valid? Because Chris’s character is “very real and deep”, he is most deserving of an Emmy.

It’s more difficult to be funny than dramatic.

I’d argue Ed O’Neill’s character is more deep than Colfer’s, it’s just more subtle.

Comment by Rico – August 17, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why don’t you just shut your whore mouth & stop spreading your ignorance around you a-hole.

Comment by Common Sense – August 17, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you actually think he’s playing himself, you really haven’t ever seen him outside of Glee. The only things Kurt and Chris have in common are the face, the voice and their homosexuality.

And if you think he’s playing himself because his character is gay, then you don’t know the first thing about separation between character and actor.

Comment by Francoise – August 17, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Someone’s got a case of foot-in-mouth disease. You just made yourself sound like a giant homophobe for implying that because Chris is gay he’s exactly like Kurt, not to mention making it completely obvious you know absolutely nothing about Chris outside the role he plays on television. If you’ve ever read a single interview with him, you’d realize he and Kurt have almost nothing in common. He’s outlined their differences himself quite a few times.

Comment by Kat – August 17, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is certainly not playing himself. Have you ever seen an interview of him? obviously not. He puts so much emotion into his characters and makes sure that none of them are alike. And not one of them is like him. That’s what makes a good actor, and he is one hell of an actor. So have a good day now :)

Comment by lallafrall – August 17, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is not playing himself you ignoramus.

Comment by Jo – August 17, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG, your ignorance is showing. just because he happens to be gay in real life, it doesn’t mean he is playing himself on tv. would you accuse Ed O’Neill for playing himself, just because he happens to be playing an old straight man on modern family?

Filters, Ma’am. Check yours; you are embarrassing yourself.

Comment by fragil3thing – August 18, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so ignorant. You really do not know Chris Colfer. Do you? No. You’re just assuming since he is gay…and his character is gay…that they both are very similar. Not. at. all.

Do your research before you post something online.

Comment by Shelby – August 18, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chris Colfer is an awkward mostly conservatively dressed sarcastic nerd who plays an obnoxious, snappy flamboyant fashionista…. Not quite the same person.

Comment by Lily – August 23, 2011 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m sorry but did modern family really need 4 people nominated?? Offerman needs to be on here, Danny Pudi as well

Comment by Joe – August 17, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And if Emmy voters watched their shows, I have no doubt they would be. The hang up is getting more eyes watching Parks and Rec and Community. I definitely prefer the Mod Fam boys over people from 30 Rock.

Comment by Ali – August 17, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, I LOVE 30 Rock and my BFFSM(Best Friend For Six Months) loves Modern Family, so we had this competition to see who could get the most people who liked the other show to become hardcore fans of the other`s show. It was WAY easier for me to get people to love 30 Rock. I believe this is just because it has such amazing writing, as well as the fact that it`s super fresh and new, Modern Family does a lot of the same stuff over. I mean, even when Tina Fey was on SNL as head writer the sketches were a bit better than they are now, except the Digital Shorts; Samberg rocks those.

Comment by Amy – August 23, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just make an argument AGAINST Chris Colfer from Glee?!?!

No matter what you thinking of Colfer’s acting skill on Glee, his big scenes are always the dramatic ones stemming from his sickly father or the bully at school or his crush on the Warbler guy.

If we’re trying to award someone for a COMEDIC performance, any of the men from Modern Family (but particularly Burrell) deserve the Emmy.

Just my opinion

And yeah, this category was sadly missing some amazing talents from Community and Parks & Rec

Comment by martin – August 17, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its not about a COMEDIC performance. Its about performance IN a comedy. It’s not about the role having to be comedic. It’s by show category. Your argument is invalid.

Comment by Haley – August 17, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hmm…. i mean that makes sense, I guess I never thought of it that way.

well…. i guess my point is that I don’t like Glee AT ALL and am being immature and taking it out on its cast.

Comment by martin – August 17, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey, well at least you admitted you just don’t like the show. Most people wouldn’t do that. :)

Comment by Sara – August 17, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That´s just it the award isn´t for a comedic performance but for the best performance IN a comedy. the award should go to the best performer it shouldn´t mater if it´s dramatic or comedic.

Comment by Evyn – August 17, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say what you will about Glee, but Chris Colfer’s performance on it is phenomenal. The problem, of course, being that the show competes in Comedy, and yet Chris’s work is Drama. So it’s hard to compare him to the cast of Modern Family, because strictly speaking, it’s apples to oranges, and the category is designed to judge the oranges.

I will always root for Chris to be recognized for what he does, so I can’t say I’m rooting against him, but I absolutely can’t be mad if he doesn’t win because like I said–this isn’t really his category.

That said, I voted for Chris to win because I want him to be recognized for his work, but by the strictest definition, my heart is with Ty Burrell. I think of the Modern Family guys, he had the best year last season. But of this entire category, the only one I’d be disappointed in a victory for is Jon Cryer. Everyone else is deserving of recognition.

Comment by Kaci – August 17, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment summed up everything I feel. I am absolutely cheering for Chris and would be thrilled if he wins, especially because the performance isn’t for comedic timing it’s for a performance in a comedy and his episode will stand out. At the same time, I will understand if he doesn’t win, since it is an unconventional submission. Basically, though: just about everyone nominated deserves to be! They’re nominated for a reason, and I wish people would stop and realize that.

Comment by Raya – August 17, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally and completely sure that he must win Chris Colfer!!

Comment by Poly – August 17, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty Burrell all the way he is the best in modern family, and Nick Offerman deserve the nomination better than Cris Colfer!!! I love Glee but Cris is more dramatic than funny in the show

Comment by miri – August 17, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Famly is the most over rated show on TV. Colfer is a gay man playing a gay man, so don’t know how much acting is involved there. Jon Cryer is the only one left. I guess he’s the most deserving.

Comment by Sandra – August 17, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because Chris Colfer is gay, doesn’t mean he’s playing himself. So is every straight actor playing a straight character playing himself, by default? Of course not. Only the gay guys are, right?

Comment by Francoise – August 17, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jon Cryer is a straight guy playing a straight guy so by your definition he is playing him self, just because an actor shares the sexual orientations of his character dosen´t mean he is playing him self. Chris Colfer is nothing like his character.

Comment by Evyn – August 17, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cryer is a straight man playing a straight man, so I guess he’s disqualified too, amirite?

Comment by Darsy – August 17, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Colfer is a gay man playing a gay man, so don’t know how much acting is involved there.” That is an ignorant statement, therefore your opinion is not valid.

Comment by Ann – August 17, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, Modern Family is overrated. It isnt that funny and repeats plots and is predictable sometimes. Julie Bowen and Sohpia Vergara are nice additions. But eh, I rather DVR it.

Comment by yes man – August 17, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey Chris Colfer is not playing himself, he is very different from Kurt Hummel. If a gay actor who plays a gay guy is not considered acting, then all the straight guys who play straight guys arent great actors either way!!!!! Gosh I wonder how old is this Sandra person do you even think??

Comment by Melissa – August 18, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • by your ridiculous logic, the only person in this list of nominees that’s deserving of a win would be eric stonestreet.

Comment by DUH – August 18, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

OMG, your ignorance is showing. Just because he also happens to be gay in real life, it doesn’t mean he can’t act. This comment is bordering on the homophobic.

Comment by fragil3thing – August 18, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer for the win!

Comment by Larry – August 17, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris!

Comment by Kyle – August 17, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally deserves a spot there!

Comment by Seth – August 17, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. No he doesn’t.

Comment by bilko – August 19, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!!!!!! NPH RULES!!!!!!! In the words of my favorite person in the world, who would be my boyfriend Nick, “NPH makes everything better!”

Comment by Julia – August 23, 2011 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It might not count for much but I put my weight behind Ed O’Neill. He was comedic gold last season for Modern Family, and really holds down his position as patriarch. For his character to not get lost in the company of Sofia Vergara, Ty Burrell, and Eric Stonestreet is pure genius.

Comment by the girl – August 17, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • great comment

Comment by china blue – August 17, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just can’t vote for Chris Colfer in a comedy role. His character has its wit and humor but compared to the cast of Modern Family, no way. He’s a fantastic actor and I’d vote for him for drama maybe, but comedy: no way. I voted for repeated for Eric Stonestreet. His character cracks me up most of the men on Modern Family.

Comment by Jenny – August 17, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to say, Colfer can deliver a f’n great one liner that comes out of absolutely nowhere.

“She’s dead, this is her son.” (When asked what he says when he picks up the phone.)

“Oh Rachel, how I’ve missed your insanity.”

Comment by ATLgroove – August 17, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Chris Colfer is a wonderful and talented actor who deserves everything he’s gotten and more. Just because your choices are losing does not give you the right to insult ours. Chris is someone who has inspired and help so many people out there. He’s nice, funny, charming and amoung other things he works his ass of making Kurt Hummel the funniest and most sassy character on Glee. He’s fans love him for who he is as well as he loves them in return. So enough with the hatred against our boy because seriously we haven’t said a single bad thing about your picks!

Comment by YOU MOCK US! – August 17, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You win for best name alone. THIS IS A KANGAROO COURT.

Comment by Kaci – August 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is not a comedy, though I do think Chris Colfer is lovely.
    IJS

Comment by nyla – August 17, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Happy and excited for Chris to be Nominated this year. He deserve to be in this set of Accomplished Actors. but as a Kurtsie and chris fan, I’m definitively voting for Chris everyday! >:)
    Kurtsiess! CHAAAAAARGGGGEEEEE!

Comment by ayu – August 17, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer is a phenomenal actor.

Comment by me, duh – August 17, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The category is Best Actor /IN/ a Comdey Series. NOT Best Comedic Actor.
    Chris should win.

Comment by hi – August 17, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer!! He’s inspired me as well as so many other people, and has taught me that no matter how many people put you down, you can always rise above and be greater than anyone thought possible. I will stand by him forever!

Comment by Rizzo – August 17, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those of you hating on Chris, keep on hating. He has more heart & soul than you ever will (and actually puts it to good use). While I know all of these men are extremely talented, Chris deserves to win for all of the dedication he has for his acting. He truly is an amazing actor.

Comment by Ashlynn – August 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurtsies will Stand by him FOREVER!
    CHRIS COLFER FTW!

Comment by ayu – August 17, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer should win! He is just great actor and a beautiful person, he deserves it!

Comment by lpdenka – August 17, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for CHRIS COLFER. CHRIS COLFER wins for being the most amazing actor in his category. He is a wonderful comedic AND dramatic actor, he sings and dances beautifully and plays a very complex character who is witty, funny, emotional and so deep. Chris Colfer talks about Kurt with eloquence and you can see that Chris isn’t Kurt. Chris totally created Kurt and made him a real person. Chris Colfer deserves to win this award.

Comment by HD – August 17, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PREACH!

Comment by ayu – August 17, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with your comment. Chris is an amazingly talented actor who has more than earned the right for his nomination (and hopefully win). His character is really one of the only ones i watch Glee for. Don’t get me wrong, I am a total gleek, but without Kurt the show would be much less interesting. Chris’ character is absolutely believable and honestly more deminsional and well rounded than the other characters.
      I really hope that those judging won’t make the same mistake as some of the commenters have and judge him as a “comedic performance” instead of “supporting actor IN a comedy” which is what the category is.

Comment by marie_in_ok – August 18, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how people are saying Chris Colfer doesnt deserve to win because “he’s playing himself” or “he’s not funny at all” okay, first of all, if you have ever seen Chris outside glee, you would know he is NOTHING like his character. He’s gay like Kurt, so what. And second, it’s actor IN a comedy. It’s not chris’ fault that his character is more emotional. Just stop your stupid bitching because it makes you sound dumb. Chris FTW

Comment by Jess – August 17, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To all of you Chris Colfer haters saying ‘he isn’t acting he is playing himself’ and ‘Colfer is a gay man playing a gay man, so don’t know how much acting is involved there’ have you even seen him outside of glee? No. I bet anything you haven’t. He is nothing like Kurt. And saying just because he is gay playing a gay character means there isn’t acting involved, is like saying every straight actor playing a straight character isn’t doing much acting. So don’t go around blabbering your mouth about how Chris Colfer can’t act and isn’t worthy of this award. He deserves this. Chris is an amazing guy and should be respected by more people. I really hope Chris wins this, he should. He deserves it.

Comment by Mallory – August 17, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NICK OFFERMAN.

This list is invalid.

Comment by AjL – August 17, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, yes, yes!!
      Nick Offerman is amazing.

And while I’m at it, Donald Glover & Danny Pudi are just as deserving as anyone on this list imho.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 17, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ty Burrell FTW.
    Chris Colfer is talented and deserved it for Season 1, but less so for Season 2, in my opinion.

Comment by Joey – August 17, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m proud to be the lone supporter of Jon Cryer on this forum…

Signed,

xwiseguyx
    President of the Jon Cryer Fan Clue.

Comment by xwiseguyx – August 17, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • (Corrected version…sometimes spellcheck isn’t enough)

I’m proud to be the lone supporter of Jon Cryer on this forum…

Signed,

xwiseguyx
    President of the Jon Cryer Fan Club

Comment by xwiseguyx – August 17, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on the Colfer bandwagon – his character has had the most impact on a show this year…plus he consistently steals any scenes that he is in….I believe this is his year and the MF guys will split votes….shudder at the thought of a Cryer win…(blech)!!!

Comment by ceebee – August 17, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Someone made a good point above- that because 4 Modern Family guys are submitting episodes, it means the voters will see ALL of them 4 times as much as the other two, which could increase the odds, rather than split them. Ask Eric Stonestreet.

Comment by Eli – August 17, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody needs to calm themselves. This award is for best supporting actor IN a comedy not best comedic performance. Chris Colfer, in my opinion, is an amazing actor and human being and I think he deserves this. Sorry?

Comment by Eliza – August 17, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. ^

Comment by Mallory – August 17, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d agree with nearly all of that. Colfer does an awesome job, but personally I’m hoping Ed O’Neill gets it, because I think he deserves it. That doesn’t take away from the work that Colfer’s done – strip away the Glee haters and the Glee fanatics both, and maybe we can vote for the actor we like best without having someone jump down our throats for the heresy of holding a different opinion!

Comment by Jane – August 31, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick Offerman!!!!

Comment by Barry – August 17, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is with all the Chris Colfer hate ? He is an outstanding actor, and he deserves this Emmy more than anyone. He has come from a tiny place in California, where he was constantly bullied and constantly told that he couldn’t make it as an actor. But he stayed strong, and carried on with his acting career. He then went to the Glee audition, auditioning for the role of Artie, and the writers didn’t think he was right for Artie, so they wrote him his own role. Not many people get a role written specifically for them in a hit tv series. He was 18 when he started filming Glee, he had literally just left school.

Since then, his career has escalated and he has got further than most people will do in their life time. He has written and sold a pilot to the Disney channel, he is writing a book, and he has just written and starred in his own screen play.

He has endless talent. He is an incredible singer, and an amazing actor. He can portray a wide range of emotions in a matter of a few moments, and he reduced thousands of people to tears during “I Want To Hold Your Hand” in Grilled Cheesus.

This category is Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, and Chris is by far one of the most talented actors I have seen.

And for those of you who are saying that Chris is just playing himself. No he is not. They are completely different. Chris has adapted Kurt, and made him something special. Something unique. Something different.

So in case you were wondering, and hadn’t quite gathered who I want to win this Emmy, CHRIS COLFER FOR THE WIN. <3

Comment by Beth – August 17, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PREACH ^

Comment by Mallory – August 17, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said, I agree completely.

Comment by marie_in_ok – August 18, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!

Comment by Freya dIxon – August 19, 2011 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Colfer is an amazing actor. He had a role created for him on Glee at the age of 18. He started writing a movie when he was 16 and in which he plays the main character. This movie is called “Struck By Lightning” and they’ve just stopped filming. He’s also writing two books and creating a show for Disney. Those were all supported by people in the business, who actually know what they’re talking about.

About Chris playing himself on Glee? The only things that are the same about Kurt and Chris is that they both were bullied in high school and that they are both gay. That’s about it.
    Chris knows Kurt. He knows every little thing about him. Even in background moments, he is being Kurt, and that’s what they call ‘acting’. Becoming your character during the show.
    For all of you who think Chris Colfer is overrated: go watch an episode of Glee. Then you can come back and tell me why he isn’t a good actor. Because I, as well as all the award shows, can’t see where he is being a bad actor. He is amazingly talented.

About the other nominees: All those guys of Modern Family deserve it as well. They’re great actors as well. I’m not saying Chris should win, I’m saying that it would be well-deserved if he did win.

Comment by Zahra – August 17, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • :) You know nothing about Chris Colfer my dear, he is not playing himself in glee, Chris Colfer is nothing like Kurt, Chris has learned a lot from Kurt, yes, because he was bullied, yes.
      He wasn’t bullied because he was gay, he was bullied because he was an over achiever, he was in every play, debate, academic contest, etc.
      Chris Colfer was bullied because he was like his co-star character, Rachel Berry.
      He had his writing club, now he is directing and starring and producing in a movie he wrote, big actors and actresses are in it, plus, he writes children stories.
      Chris is awkward, he didn’t know fashion, boys, or about having friends.

If you want to speak like you know him or the show, you should know Kurt Hummel is a character Ryan Murphy wrote based on himself, Kurt is Ryan, you could say. And yes, Chris is an amazing comedy writer, but you don’t know that, do you?

Chris is nothing like Kurt, he says that if he was a little bit more like Kurt, it would have been easier.

Did you know no one knew Chris Colfer was gay until Chelsea Handler forced him to come out on her show? not even his parents! He didn’t think that was true until he was 18, the age he joined the glee cast.

Chris is the most wonderful person I’ve met, he’s funny, he’s kind…

He’s helpless with fashion advice…

I love Kurt, Kurt has helped a lot of people because he’s a dramatic character but every funny line he says, every silly or clever remark, that’s Chris adding his star.

He is a star

and you don’t know him

You’ll never be nominated for an EMMY or win a golden globe or a teen choice or a people choice, or a glaad, or anything.

And He will

Comment by Anna – August 17, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously? Zahra was just explaining how Chris and Kurt AREN’T alike, and how they are only similar in that they were bullied and that their gay. He was bullied because of his voice, his sexuality, AND the fact that he was an overacheiver. Chelsea didn’t out him, he was going to be open with his sexuality but was told that he should keep it on the down low. I bet you don’t know him either!!! I’m one of his biggest fan, and I’ve seen every interview, but I don’t know him personally.
        Also, he does learn new things for and from Kurt. He incorporates new things into Kurt with the help of RM. He doesn’t have any fashion sense, but that doesn’t matter at all. I was so confused by your post. Make sense next time please.

Comment by Kurtsies4eva – August 18, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post