Exclusive

The Mentalist Exclusive: Melrose Place's Michael Rady Is Jane's New Boss!

Wanna really mess with Patrick Jane’s head? Hire a kid as his boss.

The Mentalist is essentially doing just that with the casting of Melrose Place‘s Michael Rady as the new head of the CBI.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Rady will play Luther Wainwright, the very educated, fresh-faced special agent in charge of Jane & Co. Although he has very little field experience under his belt, Wainwright’s a fast learner and will eventually be able to go toe-to-toe with PJ.

Rady, who’s also fondly remembered as Greek‘s onetime resident advisor Max, succeeds Aunjanue Ellis’ Madeleine Hightower as the CBI’s No. 1

The Mentalist returns with its fourth season on Sept. 22.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

While I’m very excited about the new season for the Mentalist (that finale STILL has me in shock) I am scratching my head at this one. On what planet would an agency hire someone with no field experience to be in charge of field agents???

Maybe he’s done something incredible like hunting down a big killer but…still it just seems a little weird.

Honestly they need to bring back Morelli, The Mentalist has been going through Special Agents in Charge like other people go through kleenexes since he left.

2. Anna says:

He seriously looks exactly like Colin Morgan from Merlin.
    And really young to try and boss around Jane, so that should be fun.

3. Pat says:

This baffles me, Given that Madeleine Hightower was cleared as a murder suspect at the end of season 3, I had all but assumed she would be back as SAC at the CBI

• robinepowell says:

You’re not the only one. I actually liked her too because she could read Jane just as easily as he could read her. Not to mention she found a way to handle him, better then Lisbon. ;)

Hightower and Jane had a good working relationship too.

4. lorna says:

He was the worst character on the Melrose remake, along with his gf. UGH. I can’t believe he was the charismatic love interest in Sisterhood of the Traveling pants.

5. JohnDoe says:

What happened to Gale Bertram (CBI director) and Agent LaRoche? I guess LaRoche was just a internal affairs guy temporarily assigned, but still…

• robinepowell says:

Bertram was shown early on last season on the warf fishing and talking to Jane. Jane contacted him for some information. I don’t remember what happened to him exactly, but he disappeared after that secretary shot all those agents, on behalf of Red John.

I think he decided to retire, since I got the impression last season, he didn’t want to know from anything CBI related anymore.

• Pat says:

That was Minelli (played by Gregory Itzin). The new director was Bertram who was alive and very much active in the season 3 finale

6. Sam says:

MAX! He was the best bf Casey had. I think the producers caught wind of that and forced him to be unlikable so that the Casey/Cappie relationship would have more oomph. But we’ll always have those first 10 episodes of season 2, Michael. We always will.

7. David says:

He is so cute. I’m going to add this show to my schedule just to see Rady again.

8. lynn says:

from greece to greek….michael is fantastic. i can’t wait to see him on this show!

9. nitemar says:

I’m happy with any The Mentalist/Jane spoilers!!! :)

10. Danielle H. says:

Wayyyyy to young. Really wondering how this will even play out. Guess we’ll find out, the heads of the agency are never around for more than a season on this show anyway.

11. lexytm says:

I quote myself, date april 1, 2011 :
    “New characters brings new life to the show… so I vote for a new Head of CBI.

Maybe a man not too old…. an antagonist of Jane….. just to put a little bit of spice here in there, but supportive and strong at the right moment…loyal. Let’s say a male version of Hightower…..”

Is Mr Heller reading TM forums?

Wow! brave choice, we’ll see

• Lee says:

I don’t know. But I know a lot of people voted for a character like him and if you think about it it was only logical to bring in someone young.
      We had Minelli who was kind of a father figure, then we had Hightower who was younger & in favor of Jane so now we get a young man. I like it. Can’t waitt to see how the rest of the dynamic works out.

12. Alex says:

Let’s not refer to Simon’s character as PJ again, mkay?

13. Mia says:

New boss? Shouldn’t Patrick be in jail somewhere for – what was it again… – ah yes: killing someone? Or are they dealing with that within the first 15 min of the season premiere and be done with it?

14. Lilith says:

I will definitely watch the first episode, but last year wasn’t the best year The mentalist had. Way too much complications, they need to get some humor back. (and Jisbon-romance…)

15. L. says:

Jisbon Romance? I am more for Lisbon romance LOL.

• Lilith says:

Well, it might be a bit quick, but some more spanking between them. But a boyfriend for Lisbon would also makes an interesting story…

16. Luis Henrique says:

Finally some news on The Mentalist! Can’t wait to see Patrick solving crimes from the prison, or whatever they’re planning for the season.

17. eviltwit says:

Huh? In what world does this make sense? A 20-something in charge of a whole division? What stupid idiot decided this? So, basically Hightower and Minelli are easily replaced by this boy?