Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Good Wife Gives Alicia's Bro a Beau

Alicia’s not the only member of her family lucking out in the romance department on The Good Wife.

Producers have tapped Michael Arden (The Return of Jezebel James, Bones) to recur as a love interest for Julianna Margulies’ TV brother Owen (Dallas Roberts), TVLine has learned exclusively.

Arden’s character is described as a handsome, flirty philosophy professor.

Earlier this month, executive producer Robert King confirmed to TVLine that the show was introducing a potential mate for Owen. “We wanted to [upend] the cliché of the gay brother on TV being neutered in some way,” he said. “They’re usually either celibate or they just broke up. You never see [a boyfriend]. But that’s not who Owen is.”

One of Arden’s most recent TV gigs was playing the secret lover to royal closet case Prince Jack Benjamin on NBC’s short-lived Kings.

Comments (21)

• A+ work, Owen. Very cute.

Comment by xav – August 16, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all due respect Mr. King, that cliche only exits on CBS shows, or the land that forgot gay people. ABC has had LEADS with gay mates for years

Comment by MIke – August 16, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not familiar with this actor, but he seems a little too young for Owen.

Comment by Lolie – August 16, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right?? He looks like he’s barely out of diapers!

Comment by Grace – August 16, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering this newbie is recurring, does that mean Owen will be in a lot of episodes this year *crosses fingers.*

Comment by Sam – August 16, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Kings. We barely knew ye.

Comment by DL – August 16, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I approve! Yum, he’s such a cutie! <3

Comment by abc123 – August 16, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dallas Roberts reminds me so much of a young John Ritter. Anyone else?

Comment by Kim R – August 16, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just googled this Kim R. Yes he reminds me of JOhn Ritter.
      I am a late comer to this show and watch it on Amazon Prime.

Comment by Karen Bagdes-Canning – March 28, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does EVERY friggin sibling/best freind/work buddy to the lead actor HAVE to be GAY? OMG-WTF?

Comment by brutony – August 16, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I assume you are complaining about the inclusion of a gay character, right?

Welcome to the real world!

Comment by Blake J – August 17, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, I hate how it’s never the main character who is gay, but always a supporting character…

Comment by Paul – August 17, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Michael Arden! Glad to see him getting more work :)

Comment by anon – August 16, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, totally thought that was TR Knight at first.

Comment by TV Junkie – August 16, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Arden is a Broadway actor. He was in the Big River revival, the Twyla Tharp/Bob Dylan musical (can’t remember the name), and lots of concerts and benefits. He’s got an incredible voice, so I hope Robert and Michelle King find a way to make use of it. :)

Comment by Jesse – August 17, 2011 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is what I was thinking, a “please please please have him sing at one point” mantra. I absolutely adore his voice.

Comment by Courtney – August 18, 2011 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well it’s nice for a token gay character have minor role on a CBS show.. I’d prefer if they really broke the stereotype and have a gay character be part of one of their procedurals as if a part of the team. Blue Bloods, CSI’s, Criminal Minds, NCIS x 2 all seem to only include hot looking straight guys with only gay people guest starring as killers or killees.. it’s sad…

Comment by xwiseguyx – August 17, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean someone like Kalinda? She is very clearly bisexual and an integral part of the team at Lockhart/Gardner.

Comment by Alli – August 17, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dallas Roberts is 41 and Michael Arden is 28, I’m not sure what age they are in the series, but yeah it’s a bit on the older-younger guy side. Not that I’m complaining.

Comment by Bryan – August 17, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not that familiar with the actor, but I’m glad that Owen’s being given a partner/significant other.

Comment by Andrea – August 17, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Arden also had a rather memorable, if brief, role in this year’s Source Code opposite Jake Gyllenhaal. Dude has chops, and thankfully looks a little closer to his age now (that picture up top is at least 5-6 years old).

Comment by MJM – August 17, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post