The CW Eyes Sex and the City Prequel Series

Get More: News, Pilots, Scoop

With their sharp fashion sense and busy social life in Manhattan, the young ladies from The CW’s Gossip Girl often evoke Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw. Now a teen version of Carrie may be joining the CW’s lineup.

I hear that the CW has emerged as the leading candidate for The Carrie Diaries, a TV series project based on Sex and the City author Candice Bushnell’s recent book about Carrie’s high school years. There are no deals in place and talks are in preliminary stages but I hear Gossip Girl executive producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are being courted to shepherd the project.

For more details on this story, head over to TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

Comments (49)

• What? Not Josh and Stephanie. They ruined Gossip Girl. Or is it just the writers to blame?

Comment by Dave – August 16, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t even know what to do with this. Are you saying Josh and Stephanie aren’t writers? How did they ruin something that didn’t exist in the television medium before they made it happen?

Comment by Danny – August 16, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joshs shows always have an incredible first season. The oc sucked in s3, and i hated lindsay in s2. s4 was good. gossip girl i quit in early s3.

Comment by lorna – August 16, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But but but … they killed Marissa in season 3 – how could THAT suck?!?!?!

Comment by ultimate troll – August 17, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The OC sucked in season 4, without Marissa the show lost it’s touch.

Comment by Miranda – August 18, 2011 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of Sex & The City, but if Schwartz is attached, I’ll give it a go. As to the above poster, I don’t think either Josh or Stephanie have been very involved in Gossip Girl since the early seasons so I don’t think it’s fair to put all of the guilt on them.

Comment by Derek – August 16, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, agreed, Schwartz = awesomeness. I loved loved loved the fourth season of the OC (frankly I liked it best with Marissa gone and Taylor as Ryan’s love interest), and watched the first few seasons of Gossip Girl. I think he has a great creative eye.

Comment by Katie – August 17, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So would this be set in the… what, mid-to-late 70s? Didn’t they nix a prequel to Gossip Girl that would have been in the same time period?
    That being asked, if Josh is going to exec. produce this, I’m in. He’s the master of the guilty pleasure series.

Comment by Sam – August 16, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be set in the 80s. The only thing I’m confused about is that they were planning on making it a movie with Blake Lively and Selena Gomez. I think it’s a mistake to have it on the CW, to make it a TV show, and to have Josh and Stephanie attached to it. It’s too much like Gossip Girl and they can’t have the kind of sexiness that they’d need. People would find it very difficult to watch.

Comment by Rob – August 16, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were never planning on making a movie. They asked Candace Bushnell who she would cast in a phantom film-version and she said “Blake Lively and Selena Gomez”

Comment by Captain – August 16, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i cant stand blake lively, she’s a poor actress, and not too pretty. my friend went to high school with her and said she’s majorly photoshopped and not very nice.

Comment by Tessie – August 16, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She really isn’t pretty. I don’t get why she gets so many “hot girl” roles.

Comment by Captain – August 17, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I know, she’s such a fugly skank. I hear she hypnotized Leo diCaprio into thinking she was pretty. I also know people who know her in real life and they say she is fat and likes to hurt kittens.

I like saying nasty things about a girl’s looks, it makes me feel less ugly myself.

Comment by catty – August 17, 2011 12:32 PM PDT
  • Please dear god, No. The last thing TV needs is yet another series about vacuous chicks whose only purpose is to find themselves a rich man and buying expensive shoes. Can’t they just buy repeats of the Housewives of from Bravo.

Comment by Shela – August 16, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to everything except the last part. I thought Dawn Feaking Ostroff left The CW, but it looks like wealthy chicks have returned to sink the network once again. :P

Comment by Jake – August 17, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would it interfere with a third SATC movie? I hope not.

Comment by Sivat – August 16, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you just hit on the VERY BEST reason to do this. Did you not SEE the first sequel? Horrific stuff.

Comment by Danyelle – August 16, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong. The series needs a third movie to give the girls a proper wrap-up.

Comment by Sivat – August 17, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m pretty sure the second movie was deliberately horrendous just so that a third movie even if it was mediocre would seem like a good sendoff by comparison.

Comment by ultimate troll – August 17, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Melissa – August 16, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems to make perfect sense. Gossip Girl is falling apart so they’re preparing Gossip Girl 2.0

Comment by Captain – August 16, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, god, let this be good!

Comment by Summer – August 16, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, can they stop milking this show? Damn, leave it alone and move on. If they do a series, it being set in the 80′s is the most interesting premise of the show. Blake Lively should play this role, she’s just like SJP. They are both unattractive, have one face, and the same acting approach. SN: Why would anyone cast Selena Gomez in anything, look past her looks and at her work. She.can’t.act.

Comment by Vanessa – August 16, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Selena Gomez isn’t that bad. Her range is certainly limited but she can definitely pull off comedy. As long as she knows her place and doesn’t try-out for any Oscar contenders, I have no problem with her. The biggest problem would be…why is Charlotte suddenly latin?

Comment by Captain – August 17, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since they quickly nixed the Gossip Girl prequel spin-off, I doubt this will last. Plus SATC’s audience is older now, they likely don’t watch the CW.

Comment by Samantha – August 16, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, this sounds terrible. I was hoping, now that Mark Pedowitz had taken over the network, that this kind of tripe wouldn’t even be considered in favor of programs that would appeal to a broader audience.

I’m so sick of the CW and how they exclude the male viewer. At least, it feels that way 99.9% of the time. It shouldn’t be all about targeting young women based on demographics. I mean, men watch TV too.

This sounds like another show that would just pander to young women and get barely-there ratings anyway. Meanwhile, what are the guys supposed to watch besides Supernatural?

Would it kill them to produce a couple of shows that guys might like? If they don’t start including the ENTIRE audience, they can forget about being taken seriously as a major network.

Comment by Andrew – August 16, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a man and I watch 60-70% of The CW’s programming. Granted, it’s more of a guilty pleasure while I wait for the next new HBO show, but still.
      I mean, God forbid a network try to appeal to a demographic. Great channels like FX and AMC would never do tha… oh wait!

Comment by Sam – August 16, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure when the movie studios start producing summer blockbusters with more than one female character. Or maybe you could try broadening your tastes like women have had to do forever.

Comment by Billie – August 16, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andrew, I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID. I’m sick of the female-skewing shows. I know a lot more MEN who sit in front of the TV than women.

Also, the “Carrie Diaries”…?! Isn’t that just inviting more jokes, like “Nikita Diaries,” “Winchester Diaries,” etc.

It also is too similar to Gossip Girl…and, frankly, Carrie Bradshaw is not an interesting character to begin with. Please, Mr. Pedowitz, focus on some comedies and leave this project in the ditch.

Comment by Jason – August 17, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually enjoy 90210, Nikita and The Vampire Diaries and that’s suposed to be for young women, so I don’t know.

Comment by Ka'lel – August 17, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude, that’s just what I was thinking! Altought I watch 50% of The CW, Supernatural isn’t really something I would like to watch.

Comment by Jake – August 17, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love SEX AND THE CITY and the Creators of GG. But what’s the point investing in the couples in the prequel if we know who they end up with.

Comment by qeeee – August 16, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh i get it! It’s Gossip Girl but with even bigger sluts!

Comment by dee – August 16, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Young Sex and the City but please not on The CW I love CW but they will ruin this,this show should stay on HBO to make it sexy or have it on ABC Family to make it very cute and chic, The CW would turn it to teenish and I think it needs to be a little better then The CW.

Comment by Fernando – August 16, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I saw this when it was the Gossip Girl prequel…seriously, this basically sounds like the same premise with a different franchise behind it. Same decade and everything.

The CW should stick to branching out. I want to see different kinds of shows like Nikita and Ringer.

Comment by Carrie – August 16, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That back door pilot for the Gossip Girl spin-off was set in 1983 and took place in the San Fernando Valley. It was really about two estranged sisters who were reunited. And they were in their 20s not teens. The proposed SATC prequel sounds completely different.

Comment by JC – August 16, 2011 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! I was one of few who didn’t even like the original series, so this is completely ridiculous…

Comment by fancyfootwork202 – August 17, 2011 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds absolutely awful.

Comment by Tee – August 17, 2011 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god – Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are terrible writers – find someone better…

Comment by Jay – August 17, 2011 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We didn’t even NEED the original series! A terrible, vacuous show about annoying women who talk only about sex.

Comment by Marco – August 17, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea what to say..oh except maye: OH MY GOD, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS!?

Comment by h – August 17, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve also read somewhere that it would be a movie, with Blake Lively as Carrie or Samantha (I’m not sure), Selena Gomez as Charlotte, Emma Roberts as Miranda, and the last girl I forgot. It would about the period when they just arrived in NYC en didn’t know each other yet.

Comment by Hannah – August 17, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god, no.

Comment by Austen – August 17, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched that ho show Sex and the City. Teens don’t need any more encouragement to be sluts. I’m not watching slutty teens.

Comment by L – August 17, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not really on board with them having a prequel at all….but casting Blake Lively will never happen if/when this gets off the ground. She’s still on Gossip Girl and filming a bunch of movies, so it would just not happen.

I WOULD however like to see Jennette McCurdy as Carrie. She’d be perfect, and it’s a role that would get her more notoriety than her current iCarly gig does. She is a great comedic actress and looks right to be a younger version of Carrie (and she is the right age, not 24 like Blake Lively!)

Comment by CJ – August 17, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think they should wait till Gossip Girl has ended before devoloping this plus Blake Lively is perfect for the role of Carrie IMO

Comment by Smallville944 – August 17, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang I thought the CW was moving away from this crap?

Comment by Josh – August 17, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noo! I think they should just leave it alone. Certain things just shouldn’t be done. I don’t think it’s a good idea at all.

Comment by Miss Big – August 22, 2011 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post