The CW Eyes Sex and the City Prequel Series

With their sharp fashion sense and busy social life in Manhattan, the young ladies from The CW’s Gossip Girl often evoke Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw. Now a teen version of Carrie may be joining the CW’s lineup.

I hear that the CW has emerged as the leading candidate for The Carrie Diaries, a TV series project based on Sex and the City author Candice Bushnell’s recent book about Carrie’s high school years. There are no deals in place and talks are in preliminary stages but I hear Gossip Girl executive producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are being courted to shepherd the project.

For more details on this story, head over to TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots, Scoop

1. Dave says:

What? Not Josh and Stephanie. They ruined Gossip Girl. Or is it just the writers to blame?

• Danny says:

I don’t even know what to do with this. Are you saying Josh and Stephanie aren’t writers? How did they ruin something that didn’t exist in the television medium before they made it happen?

• lorna says:

Joshs shows always have an incredible first season. The oc sucked in s3, and i hated lindsay in s2. s4 was good. gossip girl i quit in early s3.

2. Derek says:

I’m not a fan of Sex & The City, but if Schwartz is attached, I’ll give it a go. As to the above poster, I don’t think either Josh or Stephanie have been very involved in Gossip Girl since the early seasons so I don’t think it’s fair to put all of the guilt on them.

• Katie says:

Yeah, agreed, Schwartz = awesomeness. I loved loved loved the fourth season of the OC (frankly I liked it best with Marissa gone and Taylor as Ryan’s love interest), and watched the first few seasons of Gossip Girl. I think he has a great creative eye.

3. Sam says:

So would this be set in the… what, mid-to-late 70s? Didn’t they nix a prequel to Gossip Girl that would have been in the same time period?
    That being asked, if Josh is going to exec. produce this, I’m in. He’s the master of the guilty pleasure series.

4. Rob says:

It’ll be set in the 80s. The only thing I’m confused about is that they were planning on making it a movie with Blake Lively and Selena Gomez. I think it’s a mistake to have it on the CW, to make it a TV show, and to have Josh and Stephanie attached to it. It’s too much like Gossip Girl and they can’t have the kind of sexiness that they’d need. People would find it very difficult to watch.

• Captain says:

They were never planning on making a movie. They asked Candace Bushnell who she would cast in a phantom film-version and she said “Blake Lively and Selena Gomez”

• Tessie says:

i cant stand blake lively, she’s a poor actress, and not too pretty. my friend went to high school with her and said she’s majorly photoshopped and not very nice.

• Captain says:

She really isn’t pretty. I don’t get why she gets so many “hot girl” roles.

• catty says:

I know, she’s such a fugly skank. I hear she hypnotized Leo diCaprio into thinking she was pretty. I also know people who know her in real life and they say she is fat and likes to hurt kittens.

I like saying nasty things about a girl’s looks, it makes me feel less ugly myself.

5. Shela says:

Please dear god, No. The last thing TV needs is yet another series about vacuous chicks whose only purpose is to find themselves a rich man and buying expensive shoes. Can’t they just buy repeats of the Housewives of from Bravo.

• Jake says:

Amen to everything except the last part. I thought Dawn Feaking Ostroff left The CW, but it looks like wealthy chicks have returned to sink the network once again. :P

6. Sivat says:

Would it interfere with a third SATC movie? I hope not.

• Danyelle says:

I think you just hit on the VERY BEST reason to do this. Did you not SEE the first sequel? Horrific stuff.

• Sivat says:

Wrong. The series needs a third movie to give the girls a proper wrap-up.

• ultimate troll says:

I’m pretty sure the second movie was deliberately horrendous just so that a third movie even if it was mediocre would seem like a good sendoff by comparison.

7. Captain says:

Seems to make perfect sense. Gossip Girl is falling apart so they’re preparing Gossip Girl 2.0

8. Summer says:

Please, god, let this be good!

9. Vanessa says:

Ugh, can they stop milking this show? Damn, leave it alone and move on. If they do a series, it being set in the 80’s is the most interesting premise of the show. Blake Lively should play this role, she’s just like SJP. They are both unattractive, have one face, and the same acting approach. SN: Why would anyone cast Selena Gomez in anything, look past her looks and at her work. She.can’t.act.

• Captain says:

Selena Gomez isn’t that bad. Her range is certainly limited but she can definitely pull off comedy. As long as she knows her place and doesn’t try-out for any Oscar contenders, I have no problem with her. The biggest problem would be…why is Charlotte suddenly latin?

10. Samantha says:

Since they quickly nixed the Gossip Girl prequel spin-off, I doubt this will last. Plus SATC’s audience is older now, they likely don’t watch the CW.

11. Andrew says:

God, this sounds terrible. I was hoping, now that Mark Pedowitz had taken over the network, that this kind of tripe wouldn’t even be considered in favor of programs that would appeal to a broader audience.

I’m so sick of the CW and how they exclude the male viewer. At least, it feels that way 99.9% of the time. It shouldn’t be all about targeting young women based on demographics. I mean, men watch TV too.

This sounds like another show that would just pander to young women and get barely-there ratings anyway. Meanwhile, what are the guys supposed to watch besides Supernatural?

Would it kill them to produce a couple of shows that guys might like? If they don’t start including the ENTIRE audience, they can forget about being taken seriously as a major network.

• Sam says:

I’m a man and I watch 60-70% of The CW’s programming. Granted, it’s more of a guilty pleasure while I wait for the next new HBO show, but still.
      I mean, God forbid a network try to appeal to a demographic. Great channels like FX and AMC would never do tha… oh wait!

• Billie says:

Sure when the movie studios start producing summer blockbusters with more than one female character. Or maybe you could try broadening your tastes like women have had to do forever.

• Jason says:

Andrew, I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID. I’m sick of the female-skewing shows. I know a lot more MEN who sit in front of the TV than women.

Also, the “Carrie Diaries”…?! Isn’t that just inviting more jokes, like “Nikita Diaries,” “Winchester Diaries,” etc.

It also is too similar to Gossip Girl…and, frankly, Carrie Bradshaw is not an interesting character to begin with. Please, Mr. Pedowitz, focus on some comedies and leave this project in the ditch.

• Ka'lel says:

I actually enjoy 90210, Nikita and The Vampire Diaries and that’s suposed to be for young women, so I don’t know.

• Jake says:

Dude, that’s just what I was thinking! Altought I watch 50% of The CW, Supernatural isn’t really something I would like to watch.

12. qeeee says:

I love SEX AND THE CITY and the Creators of GG. But what’s the point investing in the couples in the prequel if we know who they end up with.

13. dee says:

Oh i get it! It’s Gossip Girl but with even bigger sluts!

14. Fernando says:

I like the idea of Young Sex and the City but please not on The CW I love CW but they will ruin this,this show should stay on HBO to make it sexy or have it on ABC Family to make it very cute and chic, The CW would turn it to teenish and I think it needs to be a little better then The CW.

15. Carrie says:

I think I saw this when it was the Gossip Girl prequel…seriously, this basically sounds like the same premise with a different franchise behind it. Same decade and everything.

The CW should stick to branching out. I want to see different kinds of shows like Nikita and Ringer.

16. JC says:

That back door pilot for the Gossip Girl spin-off was set in 1983 and took place in the San Fernando Valley. It was really about two estranged sisters who were reunited. And they were in their 20s not teens. The proposed SATC prequel sounds completely different.

17. fancyfootwork202 says:

Nooooo! I was one of few who didn’t even like the original series, so this is completely ridiculous…

18. Tee says:

Sounds absolutely awful.

19. Jay says:

Oh god – Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are terrible writers – find someone better…

20. Marco says:

We didn’t even NEED the original series! A terrible, vacuous show about annoying women who talk only about sex.

21. h says:

I have no idea what to say..oh except maye: OH MY GOD, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS!?

22. Hannah says:

I’ve also read somewhere that it would be a movie, with Blake Lively as Carrie or Samantha (I’m not sure), Selena Gomez as Charlotte, Emma Roberts as Miranda, and the last girl I forgot. It would about the period when they just arrived in NYC en didn’t know each other yet.

23. Austen says:

Oh god, no.

24. L says:

I never watched that ho show Sex and the City. Teens don’t need any more encouragement to be sluts. I’m not watching slutty teens.

25. CJ says:

I’m not really on board with them having a prequel at all….but casting Blake Lively will never happen if/when this gets off the ground. She’s still on Gossip Girl and filming a bunch of movies, so it would just not happen.

I WOULD however like to see Jennette McCurdy as Carrie. She’d be perfect, and it’s a role that would get her more notoriety than her current iCarly gig does. She is a great comedic actress and looks right to be a younger version of Carrie (and she is the right age, not 24 like Blake Lively!)

26. Smallville944 says:

i think they should wait till Gossip Girl has ended before devoloping this plus Blake Lively is perfect for the role of Carrie IMO

27. Josh says:

Dang I thought the CW was moving away from this crap?

28. Miss Big says:

Noo! I think they should just leave it alone. Certain things just shouldn’t be done. I don’t think it’s a good idea at all.