Ex-Gossip Girl Taylor Momsen: 'I Quit Acting'

Eliminating any doubt that she might one day reprise her role of Gossip Girl‘s Jenny Humphrey, Taylor Momsen attests that her days as an actress are done, over, finished, finito.

“I quit acting, actually,” she told Elle.com after her band The Pretty Reckless performed at Tokyo’s Summer Sonic music festival on Saturday.

Momsen went on to claim, “I quit Gossip Girl,” contradicting speculation and presumptions made this past May when it was reported that she (and Jessica Szohr) would not be back for the CW series’ fifth season. “I am in a band,” she explained. “Hopefully I’ll be able to only do that for the rest of my life.”

Connor Paolo Confirms His Gossip Girl Exit: ‘I’m Done’

Momsen last appeared on Gossip Girl in November 2010, at which time Michael Ausiello reported that the teen had been “sidelined” for an “indefinite hiatus” — “strictly for creative reasons,” said one insider, yet nonetheless in the wake of some controversial on- and off-screen behavior, including prompting guest star Tim Gunn to brand his scene partner a “diva” and “brat.”

CW Boss Talks Gossip Girl Cast Erosion, One Tree Hill Reprieve and More

Viewers would never see Jenny again. Come May, sources told TVLine that neither Momsen nor Szohr would be returning for Season 5 as regulars, but may be invited back on a guest star basis.

1. ultrawoman says:

Okay, bye.

2. Jimmy says:

Kinda bummed, i loved her in season 1 (she was my fave character than) Sorta liked her in season 2 and sorta in season 3. I think she is a talented actress, just watch her in the season 3 finale she was better than anyone else on screen! But in season 4 she was just eeck. I do like the pretty reckless so I guess its ok.

3. Sam says:

No no, sweetie. Acting quit you.

4. Michael Sacal says:

She probably didn’t want to put on with having to put on all that make-up that makes her look like a monster. Look at how she looks like in normal life in the second picture as opposed to how she looks like on the show in the first one…

… yes, that’s a joke :)

5. Danny says:

As much as I dislike her and her crappy attitude, Light Me Up is a pretty kick-ass album.

• Captain says:

I know right? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to it all the way through. She’s kind of annoying but her music is some of the best I’ve heard in quite some time.

6. Meg says:

So by “quit Gossip GIrl” she means she was phased out of and fired from the show.

7. xav says:

And the world weeps that Cindy Lou Who no longer acts. She probably just doesn’t have time for it anymore in her busy schedule of eyeliner application.

8. David F. says:

I don’t watch Gossip Girl. The only thing I saw her in was How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

I do like her music. She is a talented singer and The Pretty Reckless songs are common on my mp3 player. If her quitting acting allows her to focus more on her music than that works in my favor.

9. Kelly says:

WHO CARES? I hate her and her disgusting wannabe emo punk rock image.

10. Dominique says:

Well you really weren’t that good at it anyway, sweetie.

11. Mafalda says:

Men this article is so biased! I saw this earlier in another website and it said that she said a slightly different thing, she hoped her music career would do well because that what she wants to do first and foremost. Also her band is called The Pretty Reckless as opposed to just Pretty Reckless. Still love you site, though (:

• Tucker says:

How is this article biased? They’re quoting the article directly and provided a link to it. She says the same thing there that it does here. If she meant anything else, Elle didn’t provide the context. That’s not on TVLine.

• J says:

please learn the meaning of biased

12. Joy says:

Ha, who cares why is this news? Didn’t Amanda Bynes, say the same thing just to turn around and say she’s back? When the music thing isn’t paying the bills for those hair extensions and crayola crayon makeup, she’ll be back. Oh, god.

13. Roxie says:

Good riddance! Although I didn’t mind Jenny Humphrey as much during the first two seasons, she grated on my nerves during season 3, and I really enjoyed not having her appear much in season 4. I haven’t heard her music, but someone needs to tell her that wearing dark eye make-up is not new or edgy and that women have been doing that for decades. I am also glad to hear that the actress who plays Vanessa will be gone, since she annoyed me as well. As long as Blair, Dan and Chuck are on the show, I will still watch Season 5. I am Team Dair, but I also like Ed Westwick since he makes for good eye candy! I just don’t want his character with Blair.

14. ugh! says:

NO1CURR about dis basic B.

15. Chmarin says:

Wow, to say you quit “ACTING” after Gossip Girl is like saying you quit “singing” after being a one-night wonder at a gay karaoke bar.

16. Anya says:

I’m good with this. I think most Gossip Girl fans are. Even former ones like myself. However, I will admit while Jenny and Taylor both grate on my nerves, The Pretty Reckless is a good band and she’s a pretty great singer. So look, everyone wins.

17. Gio says:

in my opinion it’s a bad idea she ia also a talented actress , more than others ex co-stars , she should do some acring role!but it’s Just 18 years old her career is Just Began , so even if not in the near future , in my opinion she will conitnue to play tv/movie roles!!

18. M says:

I must have missed something. When did she actually start acting??

19. Fernando says:

I’m glad!

20. Jessica says:

I wish she would quit eyeliner.

21. Suekay says:

She should quit being ‘famous’ while she’s at it.

22. Mark says:

so she’s found employment as a full time addict?

23. Kate says:

Oh my…I bet Julianna Margulies, Anna Paquin, Kyra Sedwick, Mariska Hargitay will ALL sleep easier tonight knowing she’s not going to be around to keep them from getting any acting jobs…Whew…

24. Samantha says:

Ugh, thank God! I was over her like two seasons ago!

25. Captain says:

I’m kind of bummed because I liked Bad Jenny but then again, her music is incredible so I can’t say I’m devastated.

26. Fred Barnes says:

When did she start?

27. Ella says:

No great loss there.

28. jaded says:

Wasn’t she kicked from GG because of her heroin addiction?

29. Ace says:

So… out of curiosity, I just youtubed her band, and you know what? She’s actually a pretty great singer. Terrible writer, if those are really her songs, but she’s definitely got a voice. She sure is throwing one ginormous temper tantrum at the moment, though. Somebody get that kid some therapy.

• Ace says:

Actually, “Miss Nothing” doesn’t suck, lyrically speaking, and it’s catchy. The acoustic version is quite listenable. She might really be a good musician someday, if she gets some help for her issues (both the psychiatric ones and the eyeliner ones, which might be related to the psychiatric ones, now that I think about it).

30. deedeedragons says:

She actually has a very good voice, she wastes it though.

31. elle says:

it was time: she’s awful.
    She’s an awful “singer” too.

32. danrydell says:

…a real blow to the culture…

33. Natalie says:

Every time I look at her I think early days Courtney Love…which is not a good thing.

34. ana muller says:

boo freaking hoo

35. David says:

Buh-bye.

36. An6ra says:

Finally!!!!!!!!!!! my prayers have been answered!!!! Now if she would just “quit” her life, the world would be a better place, and the impresionable little girls would have a shot at a decent life!!!!