Ex-Gossip Girl Taylor Momsen: 'I Quit Acting'

Eliminating any doubt that she might one day reprise her role of Gossip Girl‘s Jenny Humphrey, Taylor Momsen attests that her days as an actress are done, over, finished, finito.

“I quit acting, actually,” she told Elle.com after her band The Pretty Reckless performed at Tokyo’s Summer Sonic music festival on Saturday.

Momsen went on to claim, “I quit Gossip Girl,” contradicting speculation and presumptions made this past May when it was reported that she (and Jessica Szohr) would not be back for the CW series’ fifth season. “I am in a band,” she explained. “Hopefully I’ll be able to only do that for the rest of my life.”

Connor Paolo Confirms His Gossip Girl Exit: ‘I’m Done’

Momsen last appeared on Gossip Girl in November 2010, at which time Michael Ausiello reported that the teen had been “sidelined” for an “indefinite hiatus” — “strictly for creative reasons,” said one insider, yet nonetheless in the wake of some controversial on- and off-screen behavior, including prompting guest star Tim Gunn to brand his scene partner a “diva” and “brat.”

CW Boss Talks Gossip Girl Cast Erosion, One Tree Hill Reprieve and More

Viewers would never see Jenny again. Come May, sources told TVLine that neither Momsen nor Szohr would be returning for Season 5 as regulars, but may be invited back on a guest star basis.

Comments (49)

• Okay, bye.

Comment by ultrawoman – August 16, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahaha. Agreed.

Comment by Danielle – August 16, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kinda bummed, i loved her in season 1 (she was my fave character than) Sorta liked her in season 2 and sorta in season 3. I think she is a talented actress, just watch her in the season 3 finale she was better than anyone else on screen! But in season 4 she was just eeck. I do like the pretty reckless so I guess its ok.

Comment by Jimmy – August 16, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No no, sweetie. Acting quit you.

Comment by Sam – August 16, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shut up haters. She’s wayyy more talented than Blake Lively. I saw Taylor’s band live and met her, she was awesome! I’m happy for her that she is off GG. The show was good first 2 seasons, and just went downhill, I quit in early s3.

Comment by lorna – August 16, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol..That was my first thought. Don’t you actually have to have actually BEEN an actor to quit acting? Looking bored/stoned most of the time doesn’t really qualify as acting.

Comment by Alison – August 16, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And yet Kristen Stewart still has work..

Comment by Allie – August 17, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know right!!!

Comment by David – August 17, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • AWESOME comment!!! LMAO

Comment by Paul – August 17, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She probably didn’t want to put on with having to put on all that make-up that makes her look like a monster. Look at how she looks like in normal life in the second picture as opposed to how she looks like on the show in the first one…

… yes, that’s a joke :)

Comment by Michael Sacal – August 16, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I dislike her and her crappy attitude, Light Me Up is a pretty kick-ass album.

Comment by Danny – August 16, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve listened to it all the way through. She’s kind of annoying but her music is some of the best I’ve heard in quite some time.

Comment by Captain – August 16, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So by “quit Gossip GIrl” she means she was phased out of and fired from the show.

Comment by Meg – August 16, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the world weeps that Cindy Lou Who no longer acts. She probably just doesn’t have time for it anymore in her busy schedule of eyeliner application.

Comment by xav – August 16, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch Gossip Girl. The only thing I saw her in was How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

I do like her music. She is a talented singer and The Pretty Reckless songs are common on my mp3 player. If her quitting acting allows her to focus more on her music than that works in my favor.

Comment by David F. – August 16, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHO CARES? I hate her and her disgusting wannabe emo punk rock image.

Comment by Kelly – August 16, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well you really weren’t that good at it anyway, sweetie.

Comment by Dominique – August 16, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Men this article is so biased! I saw this earlier in another website and it said that she said a slightly different thing, she hoped her music career would do well because that what she wants to do first and foremost. Also her band is called The Pretty Reckless as opposed to just Pretty Reckless. Still love you site, though (:

Comment by Mafalda – August 16, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is this article biased? They’re quoting the article directly and provided a link to it. She says the same thing there that it does here. If she meant anything else, Elle didn’t provide the context. That’s not on TVLine.

Comment by Tucker – August 16, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please learn the meaning of biased

Comment by J – August 16, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha, who cares why is this news? Didn’t Amanda Bynes, say the same thing just to turn around and say she’s back? When the music thing isn’t paying the bills for those hair extensions and crayola crayon makeup, she’ll be back. Oh, god.

Comment by Joy – August 16, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance! Although I didn’t mind Jenny Humphrey as much during the first two seasons, she grated on my nerves during season 3, and I really enjoyed not having her appear much in season 4. I haven’t heard her music, but someone needs to tell her that wearing dark eye make-up is not new or edgy and that women have been doing that for decades. I am also glad to hear that the actress who plays Vanessa will be gone, since she annoyed me as well. As long as Blair, Dan and Chuck are on the show, I will still watch Season 5. I am Team Dair, but I also like Ed Westwick since he makes for good eye candy! I just don’t want his character with Blair.

Comment by Roxie – August 16, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO1CURR about dis basic B.

Comment by ugh! – August 16, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, to say you quit “ACTING” after Gossip Girl is like saying you quit “singing” after being a one-night wonder at a gay karaoke bar.

Comment by Chmarin – August 16, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m good with this. I think most Gossip Girl fans are. Even former ones like myself. However, I will admit while Jenny and Taylor both grate on my nerves, The Pretty Reckless is a good band and she’s a pretty great singer. So look, everyone wins.

Comment by Anya – August 16, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in my opinion it’s a bad idea she ia also a talented actress , more than others ex co-stars , she should do some acring role!but it’s Just 18 years old her career is Just Began , so even if not in the near future , in my opinion she will conitnue to play tv/movie roles!!

Comment by Gio – August 16, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must have missed something. When did she actually start acting??

Comment by M – August 16, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad!

Comment by Fernando – August 16, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish she would quit eyeliner.

Comment by Jessica – August 16, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or breathing…

Comment by Aunt Sassy – August 17, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should quit being ‘famous’ while she’s at it.

Comment by Suekay – August 16, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so she’s found employment as a full time addict?

Comment by Mark – August 16, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my…I bet Julianna Margulies, Anna Paquin, Kyra Sedwick, Mariska Hargitay will ALL sleep easier tonight knowing she’s not going to be around to keep them from getting any acting jobs…Whew…

Comment by Kate – August 16, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, thank God! I was over her like two seasons ago!

Comment by Samantha – August 16, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kind of bummed because I liked Bad Jenny but then again, her music is incredible so I can’t say I’m devastated.

Comment by Captain – August 16, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When did she start?

Comment by Fred Barnes – August 16, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No great loss there.

Comment by Ella – August 16, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t she kicked from GG because of her heroin addiction?

Comment by jaded – August 16, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… out of curiosity, I just youtubed her band, and you know what? She’s actually a pretty great singer. Terrible writer, if those are really her songs, but she’s definitely got a voice. She sure is throwing one ginormous temper tantrum at the moment, though. Somebody get that kid some therapy.

Comment by Ace – August 16, 2011 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, “Miss Nothing” doesn’t suck, lyrically speaking, and it’s catchy. The acoustic version is quite listenable. She might really be a good musician someday, if she gets some help for her issues (both the psychiatric ones and the eyeliner ones, which might be related to the psychiatric ones, now that I think about it).

Comment by Ace – August 16, 2011 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She actually has a very good voice, she wastes it though.

Comment by deedeedragons – August 17, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was time: she’s awful.
    She’s an awful “singer” too.

Comment by elle – August 17, 2011 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …a real blow to the culture…

Comment by danrydell – August 17, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I look at her I think early days Courtney Love…which is not a good thing.

Comment by Natalie – August 17, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boo freaking hoo

Comment by ana muller – August 17, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buh-bye.

Comment by David – August 17, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!!!!!!!!!!! my prayers have been answered!!!! Now if she would just “quit” her life, the world would be a better place, and the impresionable little girls would have a shot at a decent life!!!!

Comment by An6ra – September 4, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post