Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Bad news for Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco: Emmy voters haven’t awarded the Lead Actress in a Comedy statuette to the same lady in consecutive years since Patricia Heaton’s victories for Everybody Loves Raymond back in 2000 and 2001. But it’s even worse news for Tina Fey, as no woman has claimed said prize in non-consecutive years since Candice Bergen collected two of her five trophies for Murphy Brown in 1992 and 1994 respectively.

Nonetheless, Falco (who won the Emmy in 2010) and Fey (a winner for 30 Rock in 2008) will attempt to dash the hopes of Laura Linney (The Big C), Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), and Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) — all of whom are neophytes to the Best Comedy Actress category — as well as Amy Poehler, nominated for the second straight year for Parks and Recreation.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actresses to the podium when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Poppy says:

it has to be POEHLER, she kills it in the episode she submitted, flu season, which is definitely the right choice but unlike the other nominees she could of submitted ten other episodes and still have the same comedic effect!! It has to be poeeeeehhhllleeerrrr!

2. Daghe Munegu says:

Laura Linney and The Big C are so underrated ! If you are voting for someone else, just watch one episode of The Big C and you’ll change your mind :)

3. Jess says:

MARTHA! She nails that character every episode!

4. Shaila Freeman says:

Melissa did rock on that show! Did you see the second episode? Anyways I have always loved seeing Martha in everything she has done but her and the guy who plays her husband are perfect for comedy considering they were in a lot of dramas! Martha defiant deserves to win but I love melissa too?! Toss up on those two! I love it when someone els wins every year instead of the same person over and over again!

5. Cheryl says:

The only actresses I am familiar with are Amy n Martha n I luve them both but I think I would have to go with Amy for a vote w Martha a VERY close 2nd!!!

6. sexyRN says:

These nominee shows are always so freaking pale. Where are the black, hispanic and asian actresses. The nominations are the same for all categories. All white peoplel. WTF. Im sick of it. Do we not exist, or are we just not good enough in your eye to get nominated. This is why I dont watch that crap.

7. Anne says:

It’s ridiculous that Melissa McCarthy i nominated. Her character isn’t even funny on Mike & Molly. She better kiss Judd Apatow’s feet for Bridesmaids giving her such an undeserved boost.

8. Grace Grace says:

Martha! Watching Raising Hope made me think how funny she is.

9. Mackenziegrl6 says:

It should be Martha Plimpton all the way….The stuff they do each week on that show has me in tears from laughing…Greatest show ever…I hope it never goes off the air

10. Nancy says:

Melissa McCarthy!!!! She is like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the stale comedy shows. The cast is great too, especially Mike’s mother and Molly’s sister. I think Patricia Heaton should have been nominated for “The Middle.”

11. How about a pole on best EVER TV funny lady, hands down Carol Burnett!

12. Roy R Phillips says:

I can’t believe how talent has gone down. None of these so called comics can compare to Lucy or Carol Burnett or a host of others.

13. anna says:

POEHLERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! absotutely! i am sorrrry i said that…

14. Maru says:

I voted for Amy Poehler, she deserves it the most I think. But I wouldn’t mind if it went to Martha Plimpton either.

15. Nick says:

The devotion of Parks and Recreation’s fans always astounds me. My goodness. While Amy Poehler is a fine actress and I love her, Laura Linney’s performance on The Big C is one of the best on TV this year across all categories and genres. It’s a perfect blend of comedy and drama, and it results in a moving, heartwarming portrayal of a mother, a wife, and of a woman trying to live her life to the fullest. If Linney does not walk away with the award, it will be a true travesty.

16. Stephen S. says:

I haven’t seen any of the Big C or Mike & Molly or Nurse Jackie or Raising Hope. So all I have seen from the nominees are 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation. Between those, Amy Poehler all the way! Love her!

17. Stephen S. says:

I like Tina Fey too but 30 Rock is a shell of it’s former self.