Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Bad news for Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco: Emmy voters haven’t awarded the Lead Actress in a Comedy statuette to the same lady in consecutive years since Patricia Heaton’s victories for Everybody Loves Raymond back in 2000 and 2001. But it’s even worse news for Tina Fey, as no woman has claimed said prize in non-consecutive years since Candice Bergen collected two of her five trophies for Murphy Brown in 1992 and 1994 respectively.

Nonetheless, Falco (who won the Emmy in 2010) and Fey (a winner for 30 Rock in 2008) will attempt to dash the hopes of Laura Linney (The Big C), Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), and Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) — all of whom are neophytes to the Best Comedy Actress category — as well as Amy Poehler, nominated for the second straight year for Parks and Recreation.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actresses to the podium when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Tyler says:

Poehler all the way.

2. Josh says:

I’d like for Amy or Martha to win. I think both are extremely worthy of the prize.

• flutiefan says:

my thoughts EXACTLY!

• Saulo says:

I agree with you guys. I think Amy Poehler deserves to win if you consider all the season. Martha however has a small time of screen than Amy but also shines in each and every frame or line she is given to. I think she has the better submission with that photograpies’ episode that is HILARIOUS!

They both deserve to win. But I have a feeling no one can stop Laura Linney. There’s some serious acting on that Big C pilot. She mades us laugh and cry and laugh again. And cry, and clap all time she is on screen. She is the one to beat.

• marymoon says:

I concur, and if you reflect how the academy voted last year (giving it to the Dramedy Actress), i think that only helps Laura more. Her role showing drama gives her an arch and movement in her character. I think Poehler has done well in creating an arch for her character, but her character has no surprise in regards to her actions. Martha is fabulous in her role, but her character doesn’t have an arch at all, and is relying on the same schtick. There is something to be said for that, because they are doing that and still being amazing, but I think that is going to cause the Academy to lean more towards Linney

• Bill says:

I think Betty White should be included and win

3. Jen says:

Fey, always always always. Otherwise, McCarthy or Poehler.

• Lauren says:

I love Melissa McCarthy, don’t get me wrong, but am I the only one whose brain hurts at the idea that she is nominated for an Emmy and Lauren Graham still never has been? Every year she was snubbed for Gilmore Girls still rankles me… Oh well, go Suki!

• O'Brien says:

Thank you for this. I mean, I’m super happy for her, and am so glad her talent is getting the credit it deserves. But it serves to remind that Lauren Graham got hosed on the reg.

• marymoon says:

Totally AGREE! And furthermore, as fantastic as McCarthy is, this is not the part she should be nominated for. I know she can deliver more, but she is written as the “straight man” in the show, and it doesn’t really give her a chance to show her talents.

Graham is far and away deserving of at least a nomination for GG and Parenthood.

• Cari says:

I love Lauren Graham, but I think Melissa McCarthy is more talented than she is. Graham is good in the roles she plays, but McCarthy has more diversity. I agree with marymoon that Mike & Molly isn’t the best role she’s played (and I think both of them should have won for GG), but I’m glad she’s getting recognized!

• Anne says:

What a joke. Melissa can only do over the top obvious humor. Lauren can do that and subtle sarcastic humor and she does drama beautifully. She is far more talented.

4. jrs says:

It’s barely a contest. Amy Poehler, followed by Tina Fey.

5. Junior says:

The readers here on TVLine are so smart! Poehler needs an Emmy for Parks & Rec!

6. Aprilcot26 says:

I voted for Amy, but I wouldn’t be sad if Martha won. Tina is great, but let’s spread the love!

7. Cami says:

Although I voted for Amy, I think Tina is equally as worthy. I’d be fine with Melissa as well (more for Bridesmaids than Mike & Molly, though)

8. Carla says:

Amy Poehler. For Pawnee. For America.

9. Rachel says:

POEHLER!!

10. Josh says:

Amy for sure, based on last season. She was note-perfect the entire year and that’s extremely rare.

It kind of infuriates me that “The Big C” gets entered in the Comedy race. The first season functioned primarily as a drama, in my opinion. Not so much this season, but that’s not what she’s entered for.

11. Alexa says:

Poehler all the way. Let’s just hope Emmy voters feel this strongly.

12. lucy says:

Courteney Cox should win an Emmy, that’s who!

Anyway, I hope this year Tina will win.

• Dash says:

Yep Courteney Cox should win. She should have won a decade ago for Friends! Cougar Town has really turned into an excellent little ensemble and CoCo deserves some Emmy love. That being said, Amy Poehler should get this win (since CC isn’t nominated). Parks and Rec had the best, most consistent season of any comedy on tv this year and Amy was beyond excellent in each episode. The flu season episode is all you need to see to give the lady an award.

13. writestuffla says:

Absolutely Laura Linney. I’m tired of SNL refugees getting the attention.

• xti says:

I’m tired of Showtime dramatic actresses getting the attention in this category.

• Saulo says:

None of the dramatic comedies from Showtime received a nomination this year. It can be a sign that this year the votes will go to a real-comedy like 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation or Raising Hope, right?

Edie Falco and Laura Linney however are still in the race.

• AK says:

Agreed. Collete, Falco and Linney all gave dramatic performances in half-hour programs. It’s total category robbery, but at least it’s just the Emmys, so it doesn’t really matter anyway.

14. Xti says:

It SHOULD go to Amy.

15. Christina says:

Plimpton or Poehler all the way!
    I think I’m going to go with Plimpton, though.

16. Amy says:

Easy – Amy Poehler! She is simply comic genius as the lovable Leslie Knopp. See: every episode this season. The Flu – genius. The Fight – genius. Lil’ Sebastian – genius.

17. sherylgurl says:

I hope they don’t do a repeat and reward Edie Falco. Nothing against her or her performance, but as she said during her acceptance speech last year, Nurse Jackie is not a comedy.

Poehler FTW.

18. tasha says:

Amy or Martha – I like them both.

19. Linda says:

Poehlercoaster all the way!

20. Elizabeth says:

Amy Poehler!!!! She’s amazing on P&R.

Closely followed by Martha Plimpton, who I completely love on Raising Hope.

Tina Fey & Melissa McCarthy are also fabulous but Amy deserves it this year imho!!

21. Sourabh says:

Please give it to an actual comedy this time. Nurse Jackie and The Big C are both great shows, but I think I laugh more during episodes of Breaking Bad or True Blood.

22. AJ says:

I know not everyone’s sense of humor is that dark but I think The Big C is hilarious (and also dramatic and touching) and Laura Linney deserves to win. But won’t be sad at all to see Amy or Martha win either.

23. davey says:

Martha (Goonies) Plimpton is hilarious on Raising Hope! Hope she wins :)

24. the girl says:

Technically, Courteney Cox deserves it. But I can see that’s not happening this year.

25. kimmy says:

Martha Plimpton as lead actress? I’m still confused there.
    The problem with that category is that the 2 best lead actress in a comedy have been snubbed: Lea Michele and Courtney Cox.

• Josh says:

You watch Raising Hope, right? There’s no question she’s lead actress. There’s also nothing funny about Lea Michele.

• Buffy Freak says:

Oh there is plenty funny about Lea Michele…just that none of it has anything to do with earning an Emmy nomination.

• kimmy says:

Actually the nomination, IMO, should not go to who’s funnier but who is the best actress and delivers the best performance (even if it’s dramatic) in a comedy show. Glee is a comedy so it qualifies Lea Michele as a lead actress in a comedy. But that’s only my point of view.

• Agreed says:

@Buffy Freak, LMFAO nice one but oh so cruel.

I agree, I don’t think Michele was “snubbed” considering the material that she was given though. I think she has comedic chops and given the right material she would blow it out the park. I think people can get oft the Courtney Cox train, she has yet to leave the station. I’d rather see Lea be nominated rather than Tina Fey (there was nothing funny about 30 Rock this season except Tracy Morgan’s backstage comments). Besides, Lea is more talented (overall) than half the people nominated (I always felt Tina was overrated, I find Chelsea Handler funnier, *gasp*), I don’t anyone can dispute her talents, whether you like her or not.

26. Ugh says:

Ugh, I could’ve chose better nomine

27. Nathan says:

I’m a big fan of Amy Poehler, but seeing Martha Plimpton this past year on “Raising Hope” has been such a surprise and an impressive display of comedic performance. And it’s coming from someone I never found especially funny (except for in the film “200 Cigarettes”) and from an actress I generally thought I’d never see again.

28. Ugh says:

Ugh, I could’ve chose better nominees for this catergory. Tina Fey again? Seriously? 30 Rock was very inconsitent this year and not good, its past its hey day. Melissa McCarthy? WHAT. She’s okay but does anyone watch Mike & Molly. Ugh, don’t shoot me, but I’d rather see that girl from Glee (Lea?) and Kaley Cuoco take their places, I thought about Courtney Cox but I don’t think she’ll ever get nominated truthfully. ‘FRIENDS’ still seems to haunt her. The Emmy’s this year are so disappointing. And they say they want better ratings, then stop nominating the same undeserving people every year, I feel the same way about the Lead Actress in a Drama catergory.

29. poehlercoaster says:

its time for the academy to get on the POEHLERcoaster!

30. Aj says:

Poehler, then fey :)

31. sarah knope says:

Poehler! Poehler! It’s crazy…I see at least a glimpse of Amy in every other character she has done (SNL, films, etc), but all I see on P&R is Leslie Knope. Poehler all the way!

32. Susan says:

Martha!

33. Cana says:

Amy Poehler deserves to win. Without a question. Best comedic actress should go to the funniest actress on tv. This year she was the funniest lady on TV. Especially in the episode flue season. Which she Emmy submission. Parks is so under rated it should be up for more than 4 award. I love 30 rock but this season was really weak. Parks and rec should be up for at least 13 or more. 30 rock should not have as many nominees. Season 5 was not it’s worst season.

34. Sharon says:

I love Tina Fey but I really don’t think she deserves to win this year. If it was based on this year it’s Martha Plimpton or Amy Poehler.

• user says:

really? i thought it was her best season. her comic timing and delivery was top notch. when it comes to her acting – season 5 was my fave.

Amy or Tina

35. Phoebi says:

Martha Plimpton for the come-from-behind victory

36. Soso says:

I’m torn between Poehler and Laura Linney.
    Amy is the funniest but Linney is an excellent actress.
    There should be a category “lead actress in a dramedy serie” and Linney will win… but in comedy, I think I’ll go with Poehler.

37. Till says:

It should be Courteney Cox! It’s unbelievable that she hasn’t even be nominated!!

38. Katrine says:

I just adore Leslie Knope. Amy Poehler makes me laugh EVERY week, she NEEDS to win. Her laugh alone should get an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Laugh of All Time.

39. elektra says:

i have a feeling that mccarthy may be a big upset this year. she had a scene stealing, star making role in a HUGE movie this past summer, and her’s is the name on a lot of comedy producer’s tongues right now. not to mention that mike and molly, despite how average the show actually is, gets better ratings than all of the other actresses’ shows. so don’t count her out.

40. Amber says:

Easiest category to vote in so far. Amy Poehler all the way. However, I think Laura Linney will probably win it, and I also think Edie Falco’s chances are a lot better than TVLine voters are making it look.

41. Justin says:

Oh, Amy Poehler all the way. Leslie Knope is one of the funniest females on television right now.

42. kirain says:

Please make it Laura Linney the winner, I love Big C and her.

43. Jamie says:

Who should win? Amy Poehler. No questions asked. She’s made Leslie Knope the most hilarious, endearing character in years.

Who’s gonna win? Laura Linney. Nothing against her; I think she did a solid job, but I think in this category both Poehler and Plimpton performed stronger than she did. Oh well.

44. Justin says:

Amy all the way. I love Martha but she’s not lead. Melissa was nominated for her roles in Bridesmaids, not the mess of a show that is Mike and Molly. Edie Falco is over-rated. I’d also be okay with Tina or Laura winning.

45. Jenny says:

Martha Plimpton is a lead actress. Enough said bitches!

46. Erin says:

POEHLER ALL THE WAY. It’s about time she wins an Emmy for the greatest Deputy Director (and queen of the gays!), Leslie Knope!

I’ve watched so many shows this summer and none top Parks and Recreation.

47. jay says:

None of the above.

48. Amanda says:

It’s a tough choice, Melissa McCarthy is great in Mike & Molly, Martha Plimpton is also really good in Raising Hope and I love Nurse Jackie and The Big C, Falco and Linney are superb in their shows. But I think I have to Go with Amy Poehler. Parks and Recreation is by far one of the funniest shows on TV and she kills it as Lesley Knope.

49. Michael says:

Leslie is, in many ways, a female Michael Scott. That said, I find her character to be tremendously endearing and generous. Michael made me cringe. Leslie ALWAYS makes me smile. Amy is a lovely human being and has done a terrific job in creating such a great character. You can’t help but root for them both. Tina and Martha are always worthy. Laura Linney is a goddess; it’s just hard for me to swallow the designation of The Big C as a comedy.

50. Iggi says:

AMY POEHLER! she’s the most deserving this year.