It's Bill Paxton vs. Kevin Costner In Hatfields and McCoys Miniseries

Big Love alum Bill Paxton will play Randall McCoy to Kevin Costner’s Anse Hatfield in the miniseries The Hatfields and McCoys, History announced on Tuesday. Kevin Reynolds (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) meanwhile has signed on to direct the project.

The Hatfields and McCoys recounts the story of “Devil” Anse Hatfield and Randall McCoy, who at first were close friends during the Civil War. But when they returned to their respective homes in West Virginia and neighboring Kentucky, assorted tensions, misunderstandings and resentments eventually fueled an all-out family feud — one that, as it escalated, nearly brought the two states to the brink of another Civil War.

Among the issues ‘tween the broods, per History’s press release: an ultimately disastrous love affair between Hatfield’s son and McCoy’s daughter; the execution of McCoy’s three sons in retaliation for the murder of Hatfield’s brother; and a New Year’s Massacre of the McCoy clan and burning of their home.

In addition to his Golden Globe-nominated turn on HBO’s Big Love, Paxton’s credits include the films Tombstone, Apollo 13 and Twister, while Academy Award winner Costner has fronted numerous features, including The Untouchables, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves.

1. To all says:

Love Costner, so I’m in. Not real enthusiastic about the subject matter.

2. Danielle H. says:

Blah I’m from the area that this all went down in, so this is no real news to me. Guess alot of people will become familiar with it now though!

3. Laurel says:

I’ve always heard about the ” Hatfield & McCoy fued ” but I’ve never actually heard the real back story so the mini series should be interesting.

4. Fleming Hurley says:

If you want real stories about the Hatfield and McCoy war I can tell you things that were never published. I live the stories that my great Uncles told to me as a kid. The things they told to me must have been true they lived them.

• Liv Parish says:

Ooh, really? My sis has just got a role in this film; please tell me unpublished stories!

• Rita Rider says:

My mother was a hatfield, my grandfather was john tom hatfield, his grandfather was DEVIL ANSE. I have heard every story there this.
      , and how they came to be. Looking foward to the movie.

5. B. Bjork says:

You can see the play “Hatfields & McCoys” – outdoor drama at Cliffside Ampitheater in Grandview, WV as presented by Theater West Virginia in Beckley, WV. TWV has been doing this outdoor drama for years. I posted on another site that Mr. Costner should speak with Steve Bush who protrayed Devil Anse for years at TWV. He was the embodiment of Devil Anse and to those around this area was as close to the real Devil Anse as you could get. If the cast of the mini-series wants to really see the story, come see the show and visit the area where this fued took place. Honor history.