The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your TV screen this week: two tantalizing sets of twins, another big Torchwood twist, five season finales, and… the history of meat. As but a supplement to the fresh features and original reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 39 programs to keep on your radar.

9/8c Deadly Sibling Rivalry
(Lifetime) | If you’re a Charisma Carpenter fan, this Lifetime movie will prove twice as nice, as the Whedonverse alumna plays twins – one of whom just might be a bit eeevil.
9 pm The Lying Game (ABC Family) | Speaking of twins: This new series stars Alexandra Chando (As the World Turns) as a girl who discovers that she has a doppelganger – and then, through one of those crazy series of events, finds herself taking over her lookalike’s life.
9 pm Gloria: In Her Own Words (HBO) | Gloria Steinem reflects on her childhood, career as a journalist, and role as a leader of the women’s liberation movement.
9 pm Warehouse 13 (Syfy) | Neil Grayston (Eureka) and Sasha Roiz (Caprica) return as Fargo and Marcus Diamond, while Steve Yeung (Walking Dead) guests as a videogame designer.
9 pm The Closer (TNT) | Brenda thinks about hiring herself a high-powered lawyer. Seeing as he’s played by Lost‘s Mark Pellegrino, I’d suggest that if he offers you some water, politely decline.
10 pm Weeds (Showtime) | Nancy’s cellmate (played by Olga Sosnovksa) is back, and she’s not happy. (Must still be stinging over the breakup with Bianca Montgomery.)
10 pm Teen Wolf (MTV) | Season finale: Scott struggles to end the war between werewolves and hunters and get the girl.
10 pm Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) | Jacqueline Bisset (The Deep) shows up as Maura’s mother, while Richard Thomas (The Waltons) plays one of those Revolutionary War re-en-actors.

Fall TV Premieres Calendar: Save the 101 Dates!

8 pm Pretty Little Liars
(ABC Family) | Spencer and Emily labor to prove to Aria that Jason is no good for her. Wow, let your ‘Team Ezria’ flag fly much?
8 pm MasterChef (Fox) | Season finale: The Top 3 compete, and a winner is revealed!
9 pm The Nine Lives of Chloe King (ABC Family) | Season finale (yes, already): As Alek is devastated to learn of Chloe’s feelings for Brian, Chloe plots to secretly meet with her dad.
9 pm What Not to Wear (TLC) | I used to be addicted to this show, if only because few people need this sort of intervention more than I. New wrinkles for the new season include saucy Stacy (meow) and Clinton circling back with clients weeks later to see if their advice stuck.
9 pm Memphis Beat (TNT) | Season finale: Dwight tries to end a bloody family feud.
10 pm HawthoRNe (TNT) | Season finale: Christina returns to James River, Tom performs life-and-death surgery on a friend, and Kelly faces a career change (giving up nursing to join the cast of Glee?).

8 pm Bedbug Apocalypse
(Animal Planet) | I have to think the title of this special says it all.
8 pm Melissa & Joey (ABC Family) | Few things will make Sabrina fans feel older than this: “Melissa plays cougar to a younger beau.”
9 pm Royal Pains (USA Network) | It’s Autumn in the Hamptons – Autumn Reeser that is, guesting as an ailing marathon runner.
9 pm House (Fox) | This repeat reminds us how Martha Masters met her end.
9:30 pm Happy Endings (ABC) | This encore of the Season 1 finale asks the question: Is Alex a “wedding jinx”?
10 pm Necessary Roughness (USA Network) | As teased last week, this is where Boomtown‘s Jason Gedrick makes his debut as Dani’s former professor.
10 pm Rescue Me (FX) | Franco questions the way Lou does things, setting up an enjoyable little Freaky Friday arc.
10 pm Damages (DirecTV) | Ellen tries to lure Boorman out into the open; Patty reunites with her son.

USA Network’s Suits Gets Fitted for a Second Season

8 pm Community
(NBC) | It’s like the worst game of Charades ever when Jeff is all Pulp Fiction, but Abed is totally My Dinner With Andre.
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Beware the Snake Juice!
9 pm Do Something Awards (VH1) | Your upcoming Emmys host Jane Lynch gets in a practice run here, overseeing this tribute to social activism. [Crickets] OK, what if I also told you that both Kristen Bell and Olivia Munn will show up as presenters?
10 pm Suits (USA Network) | Harvey takes on an undefeated lawyer from Boston.
10 pm Beyond Scared Straight (A&E) | The Season 2 opener takes us to Mecklenburg County Jail in Charlotte, N.C.
10 pm Wilfred (FX) | Turns out that Joan of Arcadia and Ryan share the same mom – Mary Steenburgen – and she and Wilfred become fast friends.

Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: More Angst for Callie/Arizona? Nope! Sexual Hang-Ups? Maybe!

8 pm Flashpoint
(CBS) | Spike leaves his dying father’s bedside to help Team One diffuse their biggest bomb sitch ever. Series creator Mark Ellis guest-stars as a possible bomber.
8 pm Friends With Benefits (NBC) | What make this episode of this burn-off comedy Awesome? Chuck‘s Ryan McPartlin guest-stars as Danneel Ackles’ boyfriend.
10 pm Haven (Syfy) | It’s a Groundhog Day of sorts for Audrey, who suddenly finds herself living the same day over and over.
10 pm Torchwood: Miracle Day (Starz) | A wild journey leads Gwen to the decades-old origin of the Miracle.

8 pm Meat America
(History) | Is this beefy, two-hour special is narrated by Ron Swanson? One can only hope.
9 pm Doctor Who (BBC America) | This week’s time-killer recounts the best monsters from Season 6.

True Blood‘s Hoyt-Jessica-Jason Triangle Heats Up! Which Team Are You On?

9 pm Drop Dead Diva
(Lifetime) | Jane defends a woman who holds a casino responsible for her gambling away her life savings. Well, yeah.
9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Sookie imagines a scenario where both Bill and Eric can coexist in her life – as has many a female viewer.
9 pm Leverage (TNT) | Nate & Co. target a sickly defense contractor who steals a donor heart from its intended teenage recipient.
10 pm Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) | Larry and Rosie O’Donnell pursue the same woman – immediately evoking Lisa Kudrow’s Comeback catchphrase, “I don’t want to see that!”
10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | Skyler is shaken by a shocking discovery — that there’s only one more season after this?

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Templar says:

Wow! I must not fit into any recognizable demographic. Out of that entire list I watch just two of the shows, Rizzoli & Isles and Suits. My bad.

2. Kim says:

Just asking, Is there no Rookie Blue this week? :( That would suck..

3. JRose48 says:

I saw what you did there with Haven. ;)

4. Mars says:

Oh god, can’t wait for Torchwood to finally give us some answers!!! It’s been long overdue, and as devoted as I am to John Barrowman and Captain Jack, I’m ready for the end of this drawn-out season. I don’t really care if the show gets renewed or not, as long as I see CJ back in Doctor Who in 2013!! Make it happen, Moffat!!!!!!!!!
    Lots of “twin” stories. Weird. Does it have something to do to with SMG’s Ringer coming this fall? I do like both the actresses (Charisma and Alex), so maybe I’ll check them out.
    Thanks for the updates!

• Barnswallow says:

For Torchwood, the 13 episode seasons with “monsters of the week” and a season long plot was great. The 5 episode miniseries worked great.

But a 10 episode miniseries doesn’t work well. The first few episodes just seemed to me like they were there to move the plot along/introduce all teh characters. There wasn’t really any resolution to them.

I could see new viewers going “Whats the big deal about Torchwood, nothing is happening? Where are all the aliens? Why am I watching this?”

• Mars says:

I agree. I know RTD and some viewers don’t like the “monsters of the week” formula because it’s cheesy or whatever, but I loved it. I liked a littl bit of cheese in my sci fi shows! And there were some great episodes in S1 and S2 that reflect bigger issues audience can relate to.
        Instead, now we get this hopeless hell-scape of a world in Miracle Day where every gov’t has become Nazi Germany and people are stupid sheep being led to the slaughterhouse by a pedophile. Great! Thanks for making us wonder why we’re not slitting our wrists now. It’s so overtly dramatic and unrealistic. >_>

• Mike says:

I actually didn’t know much about Torchwood until the Starz premiere happened. I figured it was a brand new show but quickly realized that I was stumbling into the middle of something much bigger. Did my research and found that seasons 1-3 were on Netflix and have been watching from the start while letting Miracle Day pile up on the TiVo. The old stuff IS great (very Fringe/X-files-esque with a touch of the UK lol) and I’ll be happy to just fly through Miracle Day when I’m caught up. Hopefully the end will payoff to all of the setup.

• Jess says:

It’s actually even bigger than that since Torchwood is a spin off of the decades old Doctor Who series.

• Mike says:

Thanks Jess, yeah I did see that too. And Torchwood is even an anagram of Doctor Who…I may go back and watch that stuff too…maybe not all 50 seasons though, just the newer ones :-)

5. Bwags says:

Worst summer of TV ever! Is the fall here yet?

• Danielle H. says:

Inaorite? I only have 3 season passes: True Blood, Suits, and Royal Pains. That’s it. I have taken to DVRing random movies and old movies on TCM LOL. Hopefully the networks get some crap right this fall, because I deleted MANY season passes last year.

• Mike says:

You guys need to catch yourselves up on Breaking Bad and Rescue Me. Both of the shows are ending (Rescue Me this year, Breaking Bad next season) but are both great shows and currently airing. And summer is the perfect time to be catching up on shows you missed or are behind on. I watched The Wire this summer…fannnnntastic!

6. nitemar says:

The Closer(where will this mess go with Brenda Leigh and Capt Raynor) and Rizzoli and Isles-which I watch only for Maura(Sasha Alexander)..the rest of the ladies are annoying.

Thanks Matt. :)

7. Sourabh says:

Somehow I managed to fill up my entire TV schedule….in Summer.

8. NickC says:

Happy Endings is a very funny show.Thanks for mentioning it Mr.Matt.

• Mike says:

Agreed, I’ve been catching up on this one over the summer too. From what I’ve read they’re actually airing the previously unaired 13th episode next Wednesday too. So, not sure if THAT would actually be considered the “season finale” since it was part of season 1. LOL

9. Martin says:

My List:

Warehouse 13
    Teen Wolf
    Pretty Little Liars
    Melissa And Joey
    State Of Georgia
    Happily Divorced
    Hot In Cleveland (My Fav Comedy At the moment, and not just Betty White who is hilarious)
    Jersey Shore (I know…)
    True Blood

Also, Matt, what chance does State Of Georgia have to be renewed, would it not have made them loads of money overseas, i am surprised by how much i like this show, didn’t think i would find this show as funny as i did.

10. JHarnes says:

Teen Wolf has been incredible. I can’t wait for tonight. It is better then most of the other scripted shows on all the major Networks. Lots of fun, danger, romance and twists.

I’ve loved Torchwood. So far this new season seems a let down. Yes they are uncovering a mystery, but as soon as they moved folks to a camp I knew they were incinerating the near dead. What other choice did they have?
    It still could have worked if they moved forward on those behind the mystery. A mystery this complicated should require just as many episodes to solve as it took to discover who is responsible. Yet, it seems as if the writers have decided as soon as it’s plot is discovered it will come to a quick end. I’m watching it to the end, as I said I love Torchwood, but so far the pace of the series has been disappointing.
    Poor Baby Vamp Jessica on True Blood. I just love that show!

11. Gail says:

I watch A LOT of TV thanks to my DVRs, but only watch 13 (counting Haven once) of the 39 show here. Maybe 14 if I watch the Gloria Steinem piece.

12. Stapers says:

Haven gets plugged twice (I’m cool with it, I love the show), but no mention of Burn Notice? That show is consistently the best during the summer (perhaps even the year), and just a quick blurb would make me quite happy. Oh well, next week?

13. Richard says:

Other shows:
    Design Star – The finalist create a fantasy wedding reception.
    RuPaul’s Drag Race – The queens makeover family members.
    The Big C – It’s Thanksgiving.

Flipping Out – Jeff finds out if he will get to design Chaz’s New York salon.
    Chopped – Challenges include onions for the dessert round.
    Awkward. – Jenna’s suicide stigma is back.

Rocco’s Dinner Party – A party for Liza’s 65th birthday!
    Happily Divorced – Charles Shaughnessy (Maxwell from “The Nanny”) guest stars as someone who is interested in both Fran AND Peter.

Project Runway – The challenge is design something for Nina.

14. Sarah says:

“Friends with Benefits” is not good. I love Ryan Hansen, but he deserves better than this. Danneel Ackles is totally adorable, but not a great sitcom actress. I don’t know what the right vehicle for her is, but it’s not this. It’s like she’s trying too hard to be kooky or something.

Also I freaking love “Leverage”. I can’t help it. It’s like dessert – not necessary but so satisfying.

15. Pam says:

I think Fargo is the best for cross-over “events”. I think him and Claudia make an awesome team.

16. Jerri says:

No love for Eureka?

17. Kristen says:

My list is a bit extensive as well Martin …
    Drop Dead Diva
    Secret Life of an American Teenager
    Teen Wolf
    The Lying Game
    Rizzoli and Isles
    Necessary Roughness
    Pretty Little Liars
    Nine Lives of Chloe King
    Royal Pains
    Teen Mom
    Jersey Shore
    Rookie Blue
    Friends with Benefits

18. Me says:

> Few things will make Sabrina fans feel older than this: “Melissa plays cougar to a younger beau.”

What about those of us that remember her from Clarissa Explains It All When it first came out? Tell me we’re not supposed to feel old by that.

19. Tiara says:

No Louie? Sorry if I missed it…I’m viewing this from my phone.

20. Tej says:

Rizzoli and Isles, which I only watch because I love Sasha Alexander…otherwise the case-of-the-week plots and family drama are unbearable.
    Suits is love.

Can we get some Battlestar Galactica love? It is getting so good. All my other shows are paling in comparison.

• Me says:

*tilts head* You do know the show’s been over for awhile now right? What’s showing on BBC America are reruns.

• Tej says:

Yeah, I know. But a lot of people are watching it for the first time (myself included) and the TVLine-Up sometimes includes reruns, I was hoping they would do so again but I guess not.

21. darclyte says:

So, Lindsay Wagner’s character from Warehouse 13 was on Alphas last week. Warehouse 13 and Eureka have crossed over, so now all three series take place in the same universe. Interesting.

What was up with the description of the episode of Torchwood from 8/5? The episode description said that the Torchwood team finds out the secret behind the “Miracle,” but would the people behind it allow them to tell anyone? That’s not at all what happened. They found out what happens to Category Ones, and the Dr was killed in the process, but that doesn’t match the description. Anyway, I’m looking forward to hopefully get some answers this week!

22. MAS says:

Matt – you are in the right line of work as it appears you like everything that shows up on a television set.

23. Amy says:

I’ve seen The Fight about 5 or 6 times and yet I fully intend the watch the episode (aka the best episode of Parks and Recreation ever) again. It is hilarious – bring on the Snake Juice and Ron Swanson dancing!