TLC Cancels Kate Plus 8, Gosselin Hails Show's 'Great Run' - But How Do You Feel About It?

TLC is doing some simple subtraction from its schedule, canceling Kate Gosselin’s reality vehicle Kate Plus 8, according to a report.

The series, which began its run as Jon & Kate Plus 8 in 2007, initially followed Gosselin and her husband Jon, as they raised a pair of twins and an additional set of sextuplets. The couple became a font of tabloid fodder as their marriage unraveled on air, resulting in a divorce filing in 2009, and TLC dropping the “Jon &” from the title of its signature hit.

“TLC has decided not to renew another season of Kate Plus 8. By the end of this season [airing Sept. 12], Kate Plus 8 will have hit the 150-episode mark (including Jon & Kate Plus 8); an exceptional milestone,” a network rep said in a statement. “TLC hopes to check in with Kate and the family periodically with specials in the future.

In response to the breaking news, Gosselin shared her reaction via a series of tweets. TVLine has “translated” her abbreviation-heavy Twitterese for you:

“We’ve had a great run! Six years of whirlwind, fun-filled adventures thanks to TLC and our many many supportive and diehard fans! While it is very sad for me and the kids (there were many tears at the breakfast table this morning!), we are looking forward with great anticipation to our bright future! As is very typical for me, I am choosing to see the positive in this situation and I am excited to consider the many more invigorating opportunities that may come my way! I poured my entire self into the last six years of Kate Plus 8, and I can’t wait to have the chance to challenge myself again! In the meantime, I hope to have more time for motivational speaking, book writing and other fun work opportunities that come my way. And maybe even some dating??!! We wish our fans well. And remember, this is not ‘goodbye.’ I prefer to say, ‘See you around!’ Xoxo”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Stacy says:

Thank God.

• JJ says:

agreed! I’ve long stopped watching this show but every time a promo came on I get that feeling of disgust. Why the show didn’t end a couple seasons ago when jon and kate split up I have no idea

• Kim R says:

Totally. I’ve never been so negatively effected by just seeing a photo of someone than when I happen across a pic of Kate promoting herself in whatever she happens to be doing at the time. She is so unpleasant, so self centered and in reading her Twitter response, so delusional, I can’t believe she has the “many, many fans” she claims to have. So glad for this news. :)

• Tego Livi says:

I hadn’t realized the show was still on. She hasn’t elbowed her way onto any other shows for several months.

2. rod says:

finally !!!

3. Kristi says:

4. I stopped watching TLC long before this type of disaster populated the airwaves. Maybe if they go back to reasonable programming I’ll learn where they are in the listings again.

5. janet says:

Good riddance…maybe now those kids can have a semi-normal life.

It’ll be interesting to see how Kate supports the family though…back to being a nurse? Doubt it!

• KevyB says:

Not going to happen. The last few seasons of the show has been a freebie jamboree with the kids constantly going here and there. As bad as their parents are, they were at least having a lot of mind-enriching travel experiences. Now they’ll probably never go anywhere as their stoopid mother spends all her time trying to get back on the television gravy train. QUIZ TIME: At what age will the first Gosselin child be arrested? And what will it be for?

6. Danielle says:

Hopefully those kids can have a normal life now.

7. Abe Froman says:

Time for this family to move on. They need to live a normal life for a while.

8. Daniel says:

Thank G-d!!

9. Tanya says:

One evil reality wh*re down – a billion others to go…

10. lariet50 says:

Hate to say it, but the chances of those poor kids ever having a normal life has been greatly diminished by having those train wrecks for parents. Poor things.

11. Lucy says:

The cancellation is about 3 seasons too late. Those poor kids will need therapy for the rest of their lives.

12. Heather B. says:

I did really enjoy the show back when it was about cute little kids. As it got to be more about the adults, however, it lost any appeal it had. Probably a long overdue cancellation.

13. “(Jon &) Kate Plus 8” showed us once again why certain people shouldn’t have children. Both Jon and Kate were obviously focused more on themselves than on their children’s well being. I hope that the Gosselin children are finally able to have the privacy to live as normal of a life as possible.

14. Rebecca B says:

I will continue to worry about the kids. Their parents sold them out a long time ago.

15. Mrs O says:

Good riddence to bad rubbish! God bless those children…praying for some normalcy for them.

16. poppycarew says:

I thought this show was cancelled long ago? I think fame-whore Kate will start showing up on other reality shows before long. Poor kids … they will definitely need therapy!

• C says:

Well, she can’t be on Survivor, because they’d kick her off the first day. Big Brother, same thing. Bachelorette, anyone?

Lord help us all.

17. Amy says:

THANK GOD! Good luck kids!

18. Lorie says:

Thank you, sweet Jesus!

19. Alice says:

Amazing how she never mentions more time that she gets to spend with her family without the intrusive cameras. Her kids being able to live a normal childhood now that they better understand what is going on… No, it’s all about the opportunities for HER. This woman is so selfish it is unbelievable.

• cran says:

Kate NEEDS all the opportunities she can get to raise her
      children. I’d like to see if you would turn down these
      opportunities if you had 8 kids. How about you trade
      places with Kate….go do her grocery shopping and shoping
      for school clothes/shoes and school supplies for 8
      kids and then ask yourself….is she really selfish or
      does she need this money to take care of her children.

20. jess says:

why hasn’t child services come to investigate her yet?!? I pray for those poor children

• cran says:

Oh please….those kids are growing up just like any
      other kids. My neighbors 13 year old son got kicked
      out of school for flipping off his teacher. He is a
      only child and lives with both parents. Those kids
      grew up with the cameras in their home…they knew nothein
      different. I’d like to see you walk in Kate’s shoes
      for just one day. As far as CSD….Just what is there
      to investigate?????? Are you the perfect mother? I wish
      her and the children the best.

21. 4KatesSake says:

I would like to see any one of you judgmental trolls try and raise 8 kids, first with an unfaithful man-child and then basically on your own, in front of the cameras or not. Once you’ve done that – and had to find a way to feed and cloth them on just the salary from one regular job – then you can come back and talk about what an awful job she did and how terrible it was for her to allow them to be part of a tv show. Until then, just be quiet, you don’t know what you are talking about.

• Roni says:

“Unfaithful man-child”…I love that! So true. And after they divorced he was jobless for a while so what was she supposed to do to make money for her family?! TLC paid them to basically do nothing and the kids loved it. Who would pass up free money?

• jj says:

the point is WE WOULDN’T HAVE!!! And sure as heck not with reality cameras following my every move and INVITING judgment of me, my family and our relationships. if you put yourself in such a situation, you are asking for things to deteriorate and quickly. i can excuse the special that it started with, especially if you needed the money boost(though i personally wouldn’t have done it), but to let it get to the point where your prepubescent children think it’s normal to have cameras around and you claim that they are crying because the camera crew are leaving? that goes way beyond the point of what most would consider healthy.

• Amy says:

This judgmental troll sees how the McCaughey family (look them up) manages to get along just fine without being another media-crazed family. Same situation. Normal lives. It can be done without selling your children out for millions of dollars. See where Kate is putting that money? To her wardrobe, her hair, press junkets. Congratulations, sell-out. Save that money for therapy for the kids – they’ll need it. I’m perfectly comfortable judging her.

22. Brigette says:

Sadly, this was Kate’s fault. The affection a lot of people felt for her family was hard to maintain after it became clear that Kate whined and caused more problems for everyone than any of the 8 kids. It turned from a “how do they do it all” show to a “these poor kids! It hurts to watch” show. It could have been a program that shifted to be about how a family deals with divorce in a “healthy” way, which could have been interesting and helpful. Nope. Just Kate crying on a field trip with Sara Palin. (I guess that was an episode of Sara’s show, but still, that’s what I think of now when I think of Kate!)

23. Relieved says:

I hope that means no more Kate whatever her name is!!

24. Meg says:

Dear Kate!
    This is called an exclamation point! You don’t need to end every sentence with one! You know how to use a period. You showed off that fabulous skill already! Keep using it! I’m glad you’re staying positive!

25. shawn says:

i echo just about everyone else – it’s about frickin time!

26. Colin says:

What a bunch of judgemental people visit this website! has anybody thought about the money that may have been being put into these childrens college funds? or even the fact that being a Parent of 8 children may be so financially difficult, that an oppertunity like this was a blessing, that ended up being way blown up? Shame on you people for your ridicule and harshness, nobody is perfect and to come online and question weather or not somebody should be allowed to keep their children, when you dont even KNIOW them?? SHEESH

• Roni says:

Well said!

• jj says:

guess what? if you don’t want people to judge your life, DON’T GO ON REALITY TV!!!! I live next door to a family with 7 kids and one income, they aren’t on tv. And you make a CHOICE to have kids. No fair popping them out and then complainin about how hard it is on you as if it’s not hard on everyone else. One time special could be considered an opportunity to inform and make a bit of money or get some free stuff. Years upon years of this crap is called being exploitative and opening yourself (and worse, your children) to the judgment of the world.

• Colin says:

does jj mean judgemental jackass? i have one child and two incomes and have trouble paying the bills. don’t tell me that a mother of 8 can do it on 1. as far as the “choice to have kids” goes.. you choose have one or two arcs time. nobody “chooses” 6

• @colin says:

no you don’t choose to have 6 but you knowingly made the choice to take fertility treatments where there is a high chance of having multiple children. Kate has been on 2 network shows (dancing with the stars and her TLC show) which would likely earn her more income than both of yours combined. Your argument is invalid.

• Amber says:

I have more than one relative who have chosen to have 8 children who managed to survive on the income of just one parent. It obviously can be done. And they were not making the income of a reality TV star, they were making the income of an average middle class adult who had to get up everyday and make a real living. They never asked for charity, they never got charity. They shopped at thrift stores, they were perfectly willing to use hand me downs, and a family night out on the town for them meant each kid got a McDonalds hamburger. NOT a happy meal with fries and a drink, JUST the hamburger. And they never complained about their station in life, they just accepted it because they knew it was their choice to have so many kids. And for some bizarre reason, after living a lifetime like that, they are the now the richest people I know because they were so wise with their money and didn’t expect that they had to own the most expensive things in life.

You must have a lot of debt, Colin, to not be able to support your kid on two incomes. Or you are just terrible with money and probably expect to have all the nicest stuff and expensive electronics that people in today’s world feel they are entitled to have. I bet you really envy Kate Gosselin that people so stupidly give her so much free crap and give her money to be her b!tchy self and be a crappy mother. My problem with her is that she is a fame whore who feels entitled to that kind of lifestyle even though she is talentless and has the personality of a banshee, and she feels she is entitled because she has so many kids. Oh boo hoo, Kate. People have survived in this world on less income with more children than what she has. She is a horrible mother who has screwed up her kids beyond belief. I pray for the day she will no longer be relevant in the news. And that day is coming.

• Colin says:

its sad that someone who has a home with a ton of property for her children to play. who chooses organic foods for her chchildren t

• Colin says:

its sad that someone who has a home with a ton of property for her children to play. who chooses organic foods for her children to be healthy, who has given her children all of the oopportunity in the world to learn hands on at some of the most educational places in the country. and who has built college funds laage enough for her kids to be able to choose whatever school they want when the time comes, can be called a bad mother! i agree she ccomes

• Colin says:

its sad that someone who has a home with a ton of property for her children to play. who chooses organic foods for her children to be healthy, who has given her children all of the oopportunity in the world to learn hands on at some of the most educational places in the country. and who has built college funds laage enough for her kids to be able to choose whatever school they want when the time comes, can be called a bad mother! i agree she comes off as quite a bitch and if you ask those who know me they’d be surprised im defending her. but i feel that many here have crossed the line. you can’t see 24 hours of a persons life per year and judge them as if you’ve been there 24/7.

• jennifer says:

Colin not every parent sets up a college fund for their kids and we have no way of knowing if kate has set one up for each of them an how substantial it may be. Also I am thoroughly annoyed about kate ‘organic’ craze. Although she feeds her kids organic food its mostly organic junk food, not exactly the healthiest choices if you get my drift

• M says:

Colin what makes kate a bad mother is not the opportunities she was able to provide for her kids but the fact that in order to get those opportunities she exploited her children.

• Jelly says:

Pretty sure they did choose to have 6 kids by using fertility drugs.

• Colin says:

they were trying to have 1 more child and having Trouble so they turned to fertility drugs. in no way is that “trying” to have 6. and again you act like you watch her cook every day. and see her every day. you have no idea Whst she is like with her Kids when the cameras are off

27. Romy says:

Thank God! The Gosselin kids are finally free!

28. jonmac says:

Notice how in the list of things she hopes to do now that “raising the children” is nowhere on it. I guess she’ll continue to hire people to do that for her.

29. PT Ryan says:

No one MADE them have eight kids, so please excuse our lack of sympathy in that area. I also suspect even a “single income” from a reality show would more than pay for the kids’ upbringing, so please don’t expect us to see Kate as a saint.

30. Karyn says:

I liked watching in the beginning, but then it got to be about all the free vacations they would go on and about the money she got and just about her.

31. nitemar says:

32. JR says:

Wow! She’ll have to get a REAL JOB to support those kids she couldn’t live without.
    Hopefully her ex-will help.
    And hopefully they’ll both get help to recover from their fame addiction.

33. Smidnite says:

Ding Dong the *itch is gone!

34. Dexter says:

“I hope to have more time for motivational speaking, book writing and other fun work opportunities that come my way”

…and maybe work in some ‘raising my children?”

35. jay says:

Motivational speaking??? who in there right mind would go to her for any type of motiviation??

36. jrs says:

Does this mean that b***h will have to get a real job now?

37. M~ says:

Could NOT be more thrilled!!!! Truly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. anonymous says:

Thank goodness that a**hole is off the air she never belonged there in the first place.

39. Rusty says:

What began as gawking divulged exactly how ugly a husband and a wife can get. She was driven from before they married, it was inevitable she would rise to grasp as much power and money from a highly contrived situation.

To birth children and expose them to this is wholly cold. To grab all the plastic surgery and make up as doing something to feel good about yourself is selfish. She INVITED her body to be plundered by undergoing in vitro twice.

what will she do when she has to work like every other parent in the USA? Find some other way to exploit her situation.

BAD tv, just BAD tv breeding classless families.

40. Gretchen says:

TLC lost me, with the Plus 8 and Palins. No thanks. I programed the channel right off my TiVo list.

41. Lynn says:

I’ve watched it off and on. All I can say is I no longer feel like John was the bad guy. God bless him for getting away from THAT while he still had ONE vertebrae of a spine left. That woman has some REAL issues. I hope she earned enough to get a REALLY GOOD therapist.

42. Rachel says:

Horrible woman. Never watched the show, but the previews said it all. She has shown what kind of ‘mother’ she is all along. Thank heavens we will not be subjected to the torture of her show, or the previews for that matter. I cant believe she has found fame from being such a horrible person and mother. I feel sorry for her kids, who, I am sure will grow to be just like her.

43. Sam says:

Kate needs help. she is unstable and should not be able to care for her children. seriously.