The Talk Shake-Up: Leah Remini, Holly Robinson Peete to Exit

It looks like Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete are all Talked out.

According to our sister site Deadline, the Powers That Be on the CBS daytime talk show have decided not to pick up the co-hosts’ Season 2 contract options.

Translation: They’re both goners.

In happier Talk news, Sara Gilbert, Sharon Osbourne — who will soon take a brief family leave from the series — and Julie Chen are sticking around, which means at least three familiar faces will be back at the table when the show returns on Sept. 6.

The cuts are somewhat surprising given The Talk is coming off of its most-watched month since February.

Comments (406)

• I really feel badly that Leah and Holly won’t be back; not only because I love them both but because they added to the amazing chemistry they all had with each other on the show.

Comment by Marie – October 4, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the dumbest move that CBS could’ve made! I loved watching and now it is boring, Holly and Leah really completed the table of women, so funny and now I guess i can take the talk off my DVR!

Comment by Monica – October 5, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved watching all five of them together. They seemed to work really well. Leah was so enteraining. Not going to watch much. Don’t like the fill in people. I would love Sharon to do a spin off with Leah and Holly. I would watch them three first. Sorry Julie and Sarah.

Comment by Rini – October 5, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched the “Talk”since day one because of Leah and Holly. I no longer watch it anymore. They were funny and made the show.

Comment by Tammy – October 5, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was absolutely appalled at the comments that Sara Gilbert made on the Talk today regarding the Duchess of Alba’s wedding. This comment is exactly why young girls doubt themselves and have low self esteem. On one show, the format is all about empowering young girls, and on another it is about rude behavior that and catty comments that have the effect of tearing down girls.

Sara’s comment was utterly irresponsible and she should apologize. And if that were not bad enough, some of the hosts also jumped on the bandwagon. I can say that Julie Chen did not, and for that I applaud her.

The entire segment was in poor taste, and I have no intentions of watching The Talk again until apology is made.

Comment by Amanda – October 7, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show will not be the same without Leah and Holly. I will not watch it! Julie is not fun or exciting to watch. She should stick to the serious news progams. She is a good fit for those programs. Sara is not a good talk show personality.

Bad move!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mary G. – October 7, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How stupid to ruin a good show. This was one dumb move. The best hope the show has is to be sure Sharon does not take an extended leave. Poor little Sara needs someone to bring her out a bit. Any time you have two or three outgoing personalities like “were” on there is a guaranteed hit. It’s not for me or my friends to watch anymore…sorry!

Comment by Beverly B – October 10, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also agree w/ most of the people here. Leah was the show! Very funny a little crude which that show needs at times! A bit stuffy sometimes. Haha! Yeah Julie is ok but she really adds nothing to the show. Although I know her husband has something to do with show thats why huh? I do hope sweet cute little Melissa talks more now also. She & Leaha were cite together on the show. Yeah I think really dumb on their part!!! I won’t be watching much anymore either!!! Dumb move !! Oh yeah holly too. She will be missed!!

Comment by Lica – October 12, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • guess my two oclock time slot is free those two make the show Sara Gilbert is the snoozefest that needs to be cut it doesnt matter if the show was her idea

Comment by Cmr – October 12, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, LEAH AND HOLLY MADE THAT SHOW. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK. SARA IS NOTHING WITHOUT LEAH, SHE IS LIKE A DUMMY DOLL , SHE IS BORING , THE TWO LADIES ON THERE NOW ARE BORING , EXCEPT FOR THE BLACK LADY , IF IT WAS NOT FOR HER THEIR WOULD BE NO LAUGHTER. BRING THEM BACK, I STOPPED WATCHING THE VIEW, BECAUSE OF THAT SHOW, IS IT BECAUSE LEAH AND HOLLY OUT DID JULIE CHEN, SHE IS BORING, THEY SHOWED HER UP AND I KNOW HER HUSBAND IS A PRODUCER, SO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE SHOW. BRING THEM BACK. AND POOR SARA, SHE IS BORING WITHOUT LEAH, THOSE TWO WOMEN MADE THAT SHOW. THEY SHOWED SOMEONE UP OR THEY WOULD HAVE NOT GOT RID OF THEM. WHATS UP GUYS, THE BOSSES. GROW UP. SAVE YOUR SHOW. IT WON’T LAST WITHOUT THEM, THEY MADE THAT SHOW, THEY WERE FUNNY, AND EVERYONE ENJOYED THEM, IF I DIDN’T WATCH ANYTHING ELSE I SAT DOWN TO WATCH THAT SHOW. NO MATTER HOW BUSY I WAS, ALSO I DO THE SAME WITH MIKE AND MOLLY WONDERFUL SHOW AND FUNNY. PLEASE YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOSE OUT BY YOUR ACTIONS AND YOU WILL REGRET IT, TRUST ME. SO LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, VERY DISSAPOINTED VIEWER……….

Comment by gail kohr – October 13, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LEAH HOLLY START YOUR OWN TALK SHOW.

Comment by GIL – October 14, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, looks like CBS screwed up again, just like they did on criminal minds. When will they ever learn? I can’t stand Julie Chen she thinks her you know what dosen’t stink. They need to get her off Big Brother too. Leah and Amanda carried this show, and I won’t watch anymore.

Comment by Penny – October 17, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I commented earlier but I think it is also credible to note that half of the good guests that came on the first reason were directly linked or had a history with these two ladies so they also added an extra celebrity repor in addition to Mrs. O. There’s no way in hell they could have gotten a walk on by A-lister Will Smith if Holly and Leah didn’t go way back with Jada Pinkett Smith, no international star Marc Anthony etc etc. Just a thought not a sermon. I only see the quality of the show going down from here with these duds for a host stand ins…

Comment by Nina – October 25, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I FEEL THAT THEY ARE MAKING ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE…..THE FIRST ONE IS TAKING THE BEST WATCHED SOAPS OFF THE AIR…NOW THEY TAKE LEAH AND HOLLIE OFF…..WE NEED SOMEONE NEW TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS….DOROTHY-OCTOBER, 25, 2011. 3;11 PM

Comment by dorothy – October 25, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show from the first time I watched it….I switched from The View because of all the screaming….the 5 ladies were awesome on The Talk and they expressed their views which were all different but in a way that we could all relate to….I too will no longer watch….just heard that Direct TV is getting rid of the Fox stations….I will be cancelling my subscription….I am so tired of everyone getting us used to something and then pulling the plug….Where are we going….time to answer back….

Comment by rita mc carthy – October 26, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too really miss Leah and Holly! Especially Leah …the show just isn’t the same and not worth recording!

Comment by Jill – October 26, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the powers that be,thought the episode with guess D L HUGHELY,where holly wrestled leah to the floor and then hovered over leah ,lifted her (holly) skirt and exposed her spanx distasteful.

Comment by greg stewart – October 29, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ikept looking for Leah and Holly. I wondered what happened and now I know and will not watch again it is so dull and not funny at all!

Comment by Jo – November 3, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE SHOW IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT LEAH AND HOLLY……COMPLETELY BORING……NOT WATCHING IT ANYMORE…..I THOUGHT THEY WERE BOTH ON A VACA UNTIL I HEARD THE NEWS….I TRIED TO GET INTO IT WITH THE NEW HOSTS, BUT IT DOESN’T WORK….I ADMIRE JULIE, BUT WITHOUT LEAH AND HOLLY, IT’S JUST ANOTHER MEDIOCRE TALK SHOW AT BEST….SO DISAPPOINTED………

Comment by CAROLYN – November 8, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I thought that maybe Holly and Leah were on a charity run for Autism and that they would be back soon, but after such a long time when Leah and Holly weren’t back in their seats, I started to wonder and decided to check the boards. I am really surprised that the network would choose to break up the original cast, which were always enlightening and fun to listen to. Maybe Leah commented one too many times that Julie was stiff. The truth is that she was very stiff, she has improved somewhat, but she just has a prissy air about her. I thought that Leah brought out the best in Sara, who is herself, rather stiff and reluctant to join in the conversation. There is a different feel to the panel now, I don’t watch everyday as I used to. Sheryl Underwood doesn’t know when to turn off the raucous humor, and if she truly believes or behaves as her comments imply, she does not represent most women in America. But I do love Aisha, have to admit, I care about her opinion. The panel no longer plays together as a group of girlfriends getting together in the afternoon, it’s become more of a panel on a TV show.

Comment by Jeanie – November 11, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very disappointed that Holly Robinson Peete and Leah Remini are no longer on The Talk. I still like the show depending on who the guest host is and Cheryl Underwood isn’t bad but the show has lost something. The camaraderie of the original group that made it a great show to watch is gone. The continual use of guest hosts makes the show just another filler. The ‘powers that be’ need a wake-up call.

Comment by Susie – November 19, 2011 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will no longer be a Talk fan. The only reason I watched was because of Holly and Leah. If any one should have been let go it should have been Sara, who added nothing at all. Mrs. O is cute and Julie is a good Host.

Comment by Eleanor Wallace – November 21, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leah will be missed…this was a BIG CBS mistake…Sara is boring and Chen has an in with husband (no talent) Leah was the person I watched the show for….I have been a fan of hers from KING OF QUEENS someone should pick up her option..SHE IS A GEM…WARM…FUNNY and down to earth…We will miss you Leah!

Comment by dolores – December 2, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show may as well save face and cancel itself… Without Leah and Holly the show is over…

Comment by greg – December 11, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is very sad when a spouse’s PERSONAL likes and dislikes carry so much power that a wonderful show that benefits many people goes to pot for irrelevant reasons. The Talk was a mixture of topics handled in a variety of ways that entertained and enlightened everyone, and the topics discussed were important to many people who would normally not venture into some of those areas. Leah and Holly approached the subjects with finesse, kindness, and humor, and made everyone feel less embarassed about a natural “inquisiveness.” Leah has a special gift for being able to encourage others to reveal their true feelings about something, and Holly added a special grade of class that had nothing to do with ethnic background. I felt that a lot of thought went into selecting the initial panel. Apparently I was wrong because of the rush to replace two outstanding women with women of color just because they are women of color. While these replacements certainly have wonderful talent, they just do’t seem to mesh with the same type of “zing” as the initial case. I, too, will no longer be watching the program. My initial reaction was to encourage many of my friends to watch and be delighted. They did just that. Now, they, too, will find something more conducive to personal enjoyment during that part of the day heretofore devoted to what was once a very enjoyable break in the day. Meeeowww to the silliness that caused the breakup of a great day time show!

Comment by Irene Brown – December 22, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved “The Talk”. Both interesting…funny and the ladies really seemed happy together. They listened to each other respected each others views too, which was so much nicer then “The View”. Not alot of talking over each other or tantrums. But…I must admit I just don’t care for it as much since the changes have been made. Like the ladies who have been on but just doesn’r have the chemistry it had before.

Comment by Patricia B – December 24, 2011 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cbs what a big mistake fix the problem.so sad u brought joy, love, peace to the air now boreing..please change it back,

Comment by Elaine – December 27, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show but no one ever gave the reason why Lisa left , I suspect she can’t say because of legal reasons sad :)

Comment by Arlene – July 19, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post