The Talk Shake-Up: Leah Remini, Holly Robinson Peete to Exit

It looks like Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete are all Talked out.

According to our sister site Deadline, the Powers That Be on the CBS daytime talk show have decided not to pick up the co-hosts’ Season 2 contract options.

Translation: They’re both goners.

In happier Talk news, Sara Gilbert, Sharon Osbourne — who will soon take a brief family leave from the series — and Julie Chen are sticking around, which means at least three familiar faces will be back at the table when the show returns on Sept. 6.

The cuts are somewhat surprising given The Talk is coming off of its most-watched month since February.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Contract Talks, Daytime TV, Reality TV

1. Jennifer says:

I will no longer be watching The Talk!!!!! How can you let go two of the five original hosts after only one season? Did you even consider the loyal viewers CBS?? Leah and Holly made the show. Good luck trying to get that same chemistry back!!

2. Coleen says:

I loved watching the show because of Lea and Holly. They were so real and down to earth with their comments. They made you feel like you could sit with them at that table because they felt the same way you did. When they had somethng serious to talk about, they said what was on their mind and didn’t have to say what they think people wanted to heat. Expecially when it came to the Casey Anthony trial. They will be missedd very much. Not so sure I will be watching your show anymore because they were the ones who made me laugh.

3. sarah runkle says:

Won’t watch anymore. Holly andLeah made the show more fun to watch. Have to find something else to watch ! Bring them back.

4. Danyelle says:

Just heard the news about HRP and LR…wat r they thinking the show was awesome just the way it was. I personally will no longer watch the show….LOVED THOSE TWO

5. Sherry says:

I actually preferred the talk over the view. However when I tuned in today for the much awaited season 2 opener i was sadly disappointed!! MAJOR SCREW UP CBS for firing Leah (my fav) and holly. Were they too much competition or get more attention than stoic Julie? Today’s show sucked! Will not watch anymore. Guess it’s back to the view.

• georgia says:

I don’t like the view…the only thing good about it is Whoopee and now you taken away the friendly banter on this show..You have lost another viewer Awful today…Julie can’t carry this show…bad move!

• DKR says:

Amen Sherry!

I don’t know where I was when the press came out on the subject, but I was sooooooo disappointed to learn that these two are gone Sharon is the only one left with ANY personality and it is pretty obvious to me that they have gotten to her too. Yesterday’s show was awful and today’s was not any better. I’m done with this show now.

I love the Saturday Night Live skit of Julie, it is perfect! More words for her… cold, detached, plastic, phoney, clueless……… But, she sure knew who to sleep with the stay employed….. I didn’t say she was stupid. However, she should have stayed in news where a personality is not required. Looks like her honey is just trying to make sure she keeps a job. If she worked for anyone else in a “talk show”, she’d have been one let go.

In a time when we all need some levity and a great laugh now and then…. the two that are gone delivered. The remaining ones are so predictable that it is actually BORING! I took my Tivo off record after painfully sitting through one and a half shows…. I am soooo done with “The Talk”……

6. MPL says:

PLEASE!!! The View is soooooooo annoying – all they do is try to out-shout each other and you can’t distinguish a complete sentence from any of them!! At least on the Talk, they seem to let each other complete a sentence or thought before they speak themselves. I find this news upsetting as they had much to offer in the way of expressing their opinions and rants. Can’t say the show will have much appeal now.

7. Jvguess says:

I was very surprised and saddened that Holly And Leah will not be returning to The Talk show. I definitely will no longer watch the show. Repeating someone else – No Holly- No Leah- No Me PERIOD.

8. lyzie says:

I cant beileve there off. They were my favorite! well, accually i didnt care for holly but i loved lea! im glad that sharron stayed on though.

9. Amy says:

I missed the show today so can’t comment on the content without Holly and Leah. I LOVE Leah…she pretty much carried the show…
    But even if I dont like the new cast, I will NOT watch The View instead! All those women do is talk over each other…They don’t “discuss”anything..
    Oh well.guess I’ll have to find something else to fill that time in my day!

10. Sandy says:

Watched the debut of the new season today. Not the same without Leah and Holly. Will be erasing THE TALK from my DVR, so sorry they had to ruin such a great show. As many have said big mistake CBS. Sandy

11. ML says:

Seems I am not the only one giving up “The Talk.” Watched for 20 minutes today and watched Molly Shannon just sitting there smiling like she was invited to a boring party filled with strangers. Did anyone see her on SNL, she has no talent except being annoying.
    I am sorry but I am done with this show. Going to miss Mrs. O.

12. Judy says:

I was so excited to see the gals come back after their break, but what a HUGE disappointment to see that Leah and Holly are gone! This was a major mistake on the part of CBS and I will no longer watch or record the show. It seems like many share my opinion. The chemistry is gone.

13. Kim says:

Leah and Holly Out???? I watched the show because if their sense of humor!!! What are the execs thinking??? I’m taking the show OFF my DVR and will NOT be watching it any longer! They brought life and laughter to the panel to balance out other mire serious personalities! The world is serious enough as it is! I can get serious on CNN or HLN but I watched this show because those ladies made us laugh and not always take life so seriously by helping us laugh at our human foibles. BAD MOVE

14. jean says:

i have stopped watching the talk. without leah and holly you
    dont have a show.

15. Ellen Magnusson says:

I am sorry to see Leah and Holly let go from the Talk. I liked watching it to see what Leah would have to say from day to day. She is so funny to watch and hear her comments on different subjects. I will continue to watch but it will not be the same. I enjoyed listening to what they both had to say about there spouses and children. It is goiong to be a different show now.

16. Allie says:

I can’t beileve that Holly and Leah are off the show. This stinks! It is sooooo not the same without them. The View can get REALLY ANNOYING. But atleast they have better chemistry than The Talk. Im only 12! I will no longer watch the show anymore. Me and my mom are soo ANGREYYYY!!!!!!! >:( CBS U MADE A BIG MISTAKE!! SAY GOODBYE TO MOST OF UR VIEWERS. My mom thinks that it might be SARAHS fault. She does own the show. Could she have somthing to do with it??

17. Allie says:

Totally. B-O-R-I-N-G SHOW . IT WAS GOOD BUT I BETCHA SARAH TOOK LEAH AND HOLLY OFF. SARAH LOOKS SO MUCH HAPPIER NOW.

18. Kelly says:

JULIES HUSBAND AND SARAH MADE A BIIIGGGG MISTAKE. THATS WHY LEAH AND HOLLY WERE FIRED! THIS MAKES ME SO MADDDD!!!!

19. Cathy says:

I was shocked when I discovered Leah and Holly wouldn’t be back. I always felt te 5 ladies made a fantastic team. There was such diversity. I watched the past two days and it just doesn’t have the same pazazz!

20. chris from st.louis says:

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY TOOK OFF LEAH AND HOLLY. I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN. THEIR THE ONLY REASON THAT ATTRACTED ME TO THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE ALONG W/ MRS.O . THE CHEMISTRY THE FOUR OF THEM HAD AT THAT TABLE (yes 4 not JULIE) YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE THAT WELL AGAIN. I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I WOULD LAUGH SO HARD AT HOLLY AND LEAH PLAYING AROUND W/ EACH OTHER. AFTER A LONG AND SOMETIME MISERABLE DAY AT WORK,RELAXING IN THE EVENING WATCHING THEM JUST BE REAL AND BE THEMSELVES ALONG W/ HARD LAUGHTER WAS JUST THE TICKET.IF
    IF I WANTED TO WATCH FAKENESS AND A SHOW THAT PURELY SEEMS AS A ONLY A PAY CHECK TO THEM .I WOULD WATCH THE VIEW. BUT THAT SHOW IS PURE CRAP. ALONG W/ALL THE HOSTS. JULIE YOUR HUSBAND MAY NO TV SHOWS TALENT AND RATINGS .BUT THIS IS ONE TIME HE WAS WRONG, SO NOW HE CAN WATCH THESE RATINGS GO DOWN

21. scat says:

I’ve watched the two first episodes in this new season, UGH is all I can say!! CBS has really dropped the ball, the show worked so well with the 5 together, why mess with something that was working?
    I won’t be watching any longer, it is boring, unfulfilling, and simply painful to watch!!

22. Patricia Humble says:

I had switched from the View to the Talk, but am now switching back. You’ve messed up a good thing. Why can’t the powers to be leave things alone.

23. Christina says:

I agree! I will stop watching the tallk now that holly and leah are off. They made the show!

24. Christina kessler says:

I love sharon but if anyone should have been let go it should have been her versus leah and holly. Im done watching!

25. Fee says:

I guess the C in CBS stands for cr_ck, because that’s what their smoking if they think taking two of the key hosts of the TALK will be good for ratings. JUST SAY NO!

26. Breea says:

I agree I will no longer be watching the show! They really know how to ruin a good thing!

27. kl says:

I really enjoyed the talk last season. I always DVR it and was wondering why no one was saying where Leah and Holly were. The show was such fun to watch, women sitting around talking and laughing and just enjoying themselves. It was refreshing. After the 3rd show I’m not sure I will contine to tape it this season.

28. Julie says:

Shoot! I thought maybe they were still on vacation or something. I only watched because Leah and Holly were always so funny. I will most likely find something else to do at 2 pm. Bad move, you don’t mess with what works.

29. Phyllis says:

I’m glad that Leah and Holly are off the show. Leah was obnoxious and Holly was too silly. The others are really very boring so hopefully this show will be cancelled. It cannot compare to The View. Anderson is on NBC in the same time slot as The Talk so I think he will be the most interesting to watch.

30. feast says:

I love this show and I like them all. they fit together and i am sad that this is happened. now whether I believe that Julie played a role in having holly and leah removed from the show. i might believe a little of it, there was a couple of shows that i saw tension between them. but the two that i thought that did not seem to care for one another was holly and leah they seem disagree and had tension between them all the time and maybe that is why they are not coming back.

31. C. Gibson says:

I have been a faithfull viewer since the beginning, never missing a show not even re-runs. I literally made sure every single show was recorded because I wanted to make sure ratings would stay up for the ladies. I absolutely loved it from the start. The dynamic of the show was so different, fresh, honest and funny. I laughed so much throughout every show! However, it is now a completely different dynamic and not really funny at all. I have continued to watch the “new” season to see if they were going to ever address the changes in the “old” season. It has completely lost authenticity and it’s unique dynamic.I will no longer DVR the show. It will not be the same regardless of who is brought in to replace Leah and Holly. The original 5 were a unique group of ladies and its such a shame that we lost an awesome show. I am fans of the other ladies but the show is just not the same without Holly and Leah.

32. Sharon says:

I wonder how many comments of this nature need to be posted before CBS realizes the catastrophic mistake they made. Soon there will be no viewers left and they will all be unemployed. They took As The World Turns off, and now this. This is suicide for the show. Please have the decency to explain to viewers how you could be so foolish. I will tune in one last time only to see Stevie Nicks, and then I’m done for good, just like most of the country.

33. Jeannette Spivey says:

Well, that sucks. I’m just now watching my recordings. I thought I’d missed Julie explaining Leah and Holly’s (TEMPORARY) absence. I like Cheryl and Shannon, but they need to stay in their lanes. I want Leah and Holly back. They were the main reason I watched The Talk. I’m going to cancel them off my DVR.

34. kelly says:

I have watched The View for 15 yrs and when The Talk came on I loved it sooooo much someone or someone’s made a HUGE MISTAKE-I will NOT watch with the 2 BEST people OFF. Hope your happy SARA and JULIE!

35. MARY says:

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE AT CBS, THE FIVE ORIGINAL WOMEN WORKED GREAT TOGETHER. WHY WOULD YOU BREAK THEM UP. I HAVE WATCHED THE SHOW WITH OUT THEM AND IT STINKS. IF YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD BAD RATINGS BEFORE WAIT AND SEE HOW BAD THEY ARE WITH OUT THE TWO OF THEM.

36. donna says:

if it’s julie’s fault goodbye the talk now julie go home and tell hubby take you off.

37. Bettye says:

I am done with The Talk, does not seem the same without those 2, they were the life of the show. why did cbs do that?

38. Denise says:

I will not be watching. THey just took the person (Leah) that made the show! CBS you made a BIG mistake. BYE BYE THE TALK. You could have been a great show. Not anymore, been watching but as of today no more. Love ya Leah!

39. sharon says:

just trying to think what i would want to say….OH! everything is already been said love, love, loved. Not anymore. My t.v. changes channels all on its on now when “The Talk” comes on. Pretty smart t.v. huh!ha ha. Big mistake. So sad.

40. Toni says:

Sahron, Leah and Holly MADE the show. Julie and Sarah were just role players that those main three bounced off of. If anyone should have been let go it should have been Julie and Sarah. Put Molly and Sheryl on with those main three and you have a HUGE SUCCESS.

Sheryl Underwood is HILARIOUS!!!! But this is the not the right vehicle for her comedy.

The same with Molly, great character and improv comedian but she is blah in this realm. Mya Rudolph would have been a better fit. Leah and Holly together were TV magic. I hope someone with the clout to get a show on the air puts those two together on a new project.

41. Christine says:

Leah & Holly were the best on the show. Will not be watching anymore.

42. sharon bordeaux says:

SHAME ON CBS FOR CAUSING SUCH A SHAMEFUL THING TO HAPPEN. LEAH AND HOLLY WITH THE REST OF THE CAST MADE A COMLPETE SHOW AND I NOW NO LONGER WANT TO WATCH EVEN THOUGH SOME OF THE CONVERSATIONS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO ME, IT WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE GIRLS. WHY CHANGE A GREAT SHOW????????????????????????????

43. Monica says:

I really didn’t know what was going on until the show aired again. I was completely blind sided by the fact that Leah and Holly are gone.. I will never watch again. I just took it off my DVR and will stick to SOAPS so GOODBYE TALK.. You messed up on this one. Leah & Holly are very funny.. We understand why the CHENBOT still has a job with her perfect , boring self…. That’s right her husband owns the network.. Hey Holly, & Leah maybe Oprah may have a project for you. Don’t worry about ole Les & the Chenbot…

44. Sara says:

Hey Holly and Leah, go see Oprah and start your own show and pull Sharon with you and Sara if she will go. You two were what made that show worth watching. I won’t be wasting my time watching with you gone. I sure hope the person who made this decision is reading each and every one of these posts,while they’re waiting for their unemployment check!

45. Phil says:

All of the ladies had their own flavor they brought to the show. Julie is not a comedian and she consequently does not have the snap comedy wise that HRP and LR have. CBS has a history of monking up what is working. Many times actors don’t have the personality in person that they have on their shows. HRP and LR were crazy on their shows and they are the same way in real life. I loved carrie on king of Queens and Holly on hanging with mr. Cooper and their personalities showed up on The Talk. Sometimes it’s not personal, it’s just business, but what kind of business decision was is this? These two beautiful ladies are keepers!!! We all must remember this principal, the golden rule of business, he who has the gold rules!!! Some smart network executive will recognize their talents and pick them up. Maybe Holly and Leah can bring that same concept to another network and get paid like Fran Dresher did with Happily Divorced?? Hey Holly and Leah, remember, all things work to the good of them who know and love the Lord and are called according to his purpose. The devil ment it for evil, but the Lord will make it turn out for your good. Hold your hands out for your blessings that’s on the way!!!

46. JR says:

This was the best talk show on….not so serious all the time….fun and lots of laughs. Big mistake to let go of Leah and Holly…they were why I watched the show…..and because of Sharon O. I’ll miss watching this show – now that they are gone…so am I.

47. wilma says:

I am so sorry that Leah won’t be on The Talk.She is the only reason I watched it.

48. Deidre says:

I just watched the show without holly and Leah…BOO!!! This was my new favorite show but I will not be watching it! Leah entertained me to NO end!!! Holly complimented Leah and they both brought personalities to the rest!!! Now-no chemistry. I am very disappointed!

49. Jason Mayeux says:

The 2nd season of The Talk is getting SADDER AND SADDER!!! Molly is BEYOND dull and Sheryl is EVEN WORSE!!! Julie, just because your name is listed alphabetically and first in the opening credits doesn’t mean that you’re the QUEEN BEE IN CHARGE!!! CBS…PLEASE dump Molly and Sheryl and bring back Holly and Leah. Also, I wish CBS would get rid of Julie and her weasel/wimp of a husband. The Bottom Line…without Holly and (especially) Leah there, The Talk is DOOMED!!! HOW SAD THAT IS?!?!

50. Ginny says:

The chemistry between these women was the only reason I watched also. I used to laugh so hard the tears ran down my legs. It’s not the same show and CBS lost another viewer. Bad move!!