Parks and Recreation Scoop: Meet Ron's Mother!

Is Pawnee big enough for three Tammy Swansons?!

We’re about to find out because Parks and Recreation has cast longtime Saturday Night Live writer/guest star Paula Pell to play the original Tammy in Ron’s life — his mother.

Pell, who also serves as a writer and occasional guest on 30 Rock, will debut as Ron’s salt-of-the-earth creator in an early Season 4 episode. Considering Pell is roughly the same age as TV son Nick Offerman, it’s fair to say Parks and Rec‘s makeup gurus will be adding a few wrinkles to her face. (A show rep ruled out the character turning up in a flashback.)

Tammy Zero’s arrival coincides with the introduction of Patricia Clarkson as Ron’s first ex-wife, Tammy 1, and the return of Megan Mullally as Tammy 2.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Teresa says:

Seriously? his mother named Tammy too?

2. Peng9803 says:

Not impressed with the casting since I have no idea who she is. They’ve had so many “name” guest stars, especially as a Tammy Swanson, I was under the impression we’d get another one. Guess not.

3. Lauren says:

I love Paula Pell! So so so excited for this!

4. Amber says:

I have no idea what exactly she’s written on SNL, so I couldn’t say if she’s a great writer or not, she certainly may be, but I do recall seeing her a few times on SNL and not being especially impressed with her as a comedic actress. It was always obvious she was a writer who was just thrown into a sketch because they needed people. I am really surprised by this casting choice. I wish it had been a bigger name they cast for this. I also wish it had been someone a little more age appropriate. I hope you know what you’re doing, parks & rec.

• Delon says:

“I wish it had been a bigger name they cast for this. I also wish it had been someone a little more age appropriate”.

Totally agree.

5. Jacob says:

She’s great. Love her as Pete’s wife on 30 Rock. Also, if any of you saw the 30 Rock Live at the UCB Theatre on the Season 2 DVD, you’ll know just how talented this woman is. Great casting.

6. Linda says:

OMG!! What exciting news!! I’m really looking forward to this!! Paula Pell is a genius!

7. ajie says:

isnt paula pell too young to play his mother? although i love her. but my bet is still jan hooks :-)

8. Keith says:

She is funny as Pete’s wife on 30 Rock. Yeah, she’s too young, but make-up will work

9. Snsetblaze says:

Well she actually looks younger than Nick Offerman and especially the actress playing Tammy 1, Patricia Clarkson.

10. Iggi says:

She seems a little too young to play Nick Offerman’s mom… but i like her, she’s funny!

11. debbie newlan says:

She was fantastic as Ron’s mom tonight! I almost thought it was “Ron” in drag! Sooooo convincing!