Fall TV Preview

Parks and Recreation Scoop: Meet Ron's Mother!

Is Pawnee big enough for three Tammy Swansons?!

We’re about to find out because Parks and Recreation has cast longtime Saturday Night Live writer/guest star Paula Pell to play the original Tammy in Ron’s life — his mother.

Pell, who also serves as a writer and occasional guest on 30 Rock, will debut as Ron’s salt-of-the-earth creator in an early Season 4 episode. Considering Pell is roughly the same age as TV son Nick Offerman, it’s fair to say Parks and Rec‘s makeup gurus will be adding a few wrinkles to her face. (A show rep ruled out the character turning up in a flashback.)

Tammy Zero’s arrival coincides with the introduction of Patricia Clarkson as Ron’s first ex-wife, Tammy 1, and the return of Megan Mullally as Tammy 2.

Comments (17)

• Seriously? his mother named Tammy too?

Comment by Teresa – August 15, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was the punchline of the joke when you first found out both his wives were named Tammy.

Comment by John – August 15, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not impressed with the casting since I have no idea who she is. They’ve had so many “name” guest stars, especially as a Tammy Swanson, I was under the impression we’d get another one. Guess not.

Comment by Peng9803 – August 15, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paula Pell has written some of the best SNL sketches in the last 15 years so you have heard of her, you just didn’t know it.

Comment by Alexa – August 15, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not every guest needs to be a huge name. There are a lot of funny people you’ve never heard of.

Comment by Nicole – August 16, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Paula Pell! So so so excited for this!

Comment by Lauren – August 15, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea what exactly she’s written on SNL, so I couldn’t say if she’s a great writer or not, she certainly may be, but I do recall seeing her a few times on SNL and not being especially impressed with her as a comedic actress. It was always obvious she was a writer who was just thrown into a sketch because they needed people. I am really surprised by this casting choice. I wish it had been a bigger name they cast for this. I also wish it had been someone a little more age appropriate. I hope you know what you’re doing, parks & rec.

Comment by Amber – August 15, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I wish it had been a bigger name they cast for this. I also wish it had been someone a little more age appropriate”.

Totally agree.

Comment by Delon – August 16, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s great. Love her as Pete’s wife on 30 Rock. Also, if any of you saw the 30 Rock Live at the UCB Theatre on the Season 2 DVD, you’ll know just how talented this woman is. Great casting.

Comment by Jacob – August 15, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! What exciting news!! I’m really looking forward to this!! Paula Pell is a genius!

Comment by Linda – August 15, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isnt paula pell too young to play his mother? although i love her. but my bet is still jan hooks :-)

Comment by ajie – August 15, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Other than seeming a little young, she’s perfect!

Comment by laylagalise – August 15, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely too young. They could switch her and Clarkson’s roles actually and it would make more sense age wise.

Comment by Nick H. – August 15, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is funny as Pete’s wife on 30 Rock. Yeah, she’s too young, but make-up will work

Comment by Keith – August 16, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well she actually looks younger than Nick Offerman and especially the actress playing Tammy 1, Patricia Clarkson.

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 16, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She seems a little too young to play Nick Offerman’s mom… but i like her, she’s funny!

Comment by Iggi – August 16, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was fantastic as Ron’s mom tonight! I almost thought it was “Ron” in drag! Sooooo convincing!

Comment by debbie newlan – September 29, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post