Exclusive

Exclusive: Smallville's Cassidy Freeman to Recur on The Playboy Club

We know how Cassidy Freeman will be passing the days waiting to learn the fate of her and Katee Sackhoff’s A&E pilot, Longmire — by spending some time at NBC’s The Playboy Club.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Smallville alumna has booked the recurring role of Frances Dunhill, a Chicago socialite who begins a “for show”-only relationship with Nick Dalton (played by series lead Eddie Cibrian). The arrangement benefits both parties, as Nick runs for public office and Frances labors to please her father (while also concealing a secret).

NBC’s Playboy Club Casts Eddie Cibrian’s ‘Brother’

Playboy Club marks Freeman’s second gig of the fall TV season, having previously shot a role for the season premiere of CSI: NY. Other Smallville alumni keeping busy these days include Erica Durance (aka Lois Lane, now in Miami striking a spark with one of Charlie’s Angels) and Justin Hartley (Oliver/Green Arrow, who will be guesting on Chuck). Michael Rosenbaum’s Breaking In, meanwhile, remains a contender for a midseason return on Fox.

Fall TV First Impression: The Bare Facts About The Playboy Club

The Playboy Club opens for business on Monday, Sept. 19, at 10/9c. Freeman first appears in the third episode.

1. Jake says:

So Glad Smallville Alum are getting work!

2. Monique says:

I love Cassidy and wish her all he best with her guest spot and new show.

3. Summer says:

I wasn’t going to watch this show (I was much more interested in it when Jeph Hephner was cast, tbh) but I adored Cassidy Freeman on Smallville. I may just check in for her.

4. Tiva4Life says:

Another show to watch :)

5. Mike says:

loving all the Smallville alums( Erica, Justin, Cassidy and Callum) getting work. Now I just need to see Tom back on my TV.

• Drew says:

I want to see Tom guest star on Supernatural. I know he’s friends with the guys over there, so I think it’d be a fun episode if he did.

6. Dave says:

Am I the only one that wants Breaking In to come back? I thought that show was excellent and was hoping third times a charm for Christian Slater.

7. kevin says:

Cassidy’s recurring stint on Playboy Club seems a little OK with me but I like Erica’s “guest starring” gig on Charlie’s Angels even better and hopfully producers should consider bringing the hot Lois Lane back for a “recurring” role sometime this season.

8. Turtle says:

Cassidy Freeman is a good actress, so good for her. I also hope her pilot gets picked up.

9. localboy says:

Seriously, Breaking In still has a chance of survival? EXCELLENT! I loved that show. Although Odette now has the recurring gig on House… :(

10. Vannesa says:

I miss Smallville but glad to see a lot of the familiar faces. :D

11. BHM1304 says:

Her best scene ever on “Smallville” was her duet with Allessandro Juliani as “Dr. Emil” in the bachelor party episode. Who gives a crap about “Playboy Club”, its her pilot with Katee Sackhoff, “Longmire” that I’m hoping gets picked up. Good news that she is getting work, she was definitely one of the good things about “Smallville”.

12. Joe says:

This show sounds like it’s going to be really sleazy. Tess was a skank. Cassidy Freeman is going to get type cast if she doesn’t watch it.

• Drew says:

Tess was a skank? How? She had a crush on Clark, which never went anywhere and she had Oliver, who she had once been in a serious relationship with. Other than that, did she ever even date anyone? She did not dress slutty. She didn’t act slutty.

Sorry, Tess wasn’t a skank.

• ultimate troll says:

Drew Drew Drew…if you don’t feed the troll it will go away. And that’s a lazy troll too.

• Joe says:

Sure I’m lazy, why else would I be on this site instead of doing my job. And I’m a troll because I don’t worship your particular idol. Only your opinions count, obviously.

• Joe says:

Tess was a saint who didn’t have sex with Oliver because she had an itch to scratch and she didn’t sleep with Zod to get information. She also didn’t try to kill Stuart for refusing to fry Lois’ brains or gave that Sebastian guy implied permission to kill Lois after she uncovered his secret. She also hasn’t been a heinous b*tch to Chloe, Lois, Cat Grant and most other people she has contact with a lot of the time. She’s a role model that I’d want my kids to look up to!

• Jeremy Board says:

Joe – Cassidy Freeman is an extremely talented and intelligent actress. I don’t think the character she developed, Tess Mercer, was a ‘skank’ AT ALL! Tess was in fact one of the most interesting, mysterious, complex and fascinating characters on Smallville. I’m really looking forward to seeing her future work. In terms of trying to type cast Cassidy, you couldn’t even if you wanted to. – Jeremy

• Joe says:

You obviously meant to type ‘Tess Mercer, was NOT a ‘skank’….’. The character was complex, I’ll give you that. But she came across as more schizo than mysterious and the constant flip flopping of the character made her more annoying than fascinating and interesting. In the end I just wanted her gone from the show. Even Cassidy Freeman’s good looks couldn’t save the character from being unwatchable for me.

• Joe says:

@ Jeremy Board. Oops. Just read your post properly – missed the ‘I don’t think…’ part. Apologies.

• Jeremy Board says:

Well Joe we will just have to agree on some points and disagree on others, all good. I agree with you Joe that Cassidy is very attractive, in a number of ways, and she did create a complex character for sure. Personally, I didn’t see schizo as much as mysterious, although I think she can play both very well. I would have liked to see her stay for many more seasons on Smallville, but she has moved on to new roles and performances. I think you should give her a chance Joe in the new role, the new show has not even aired yet!!:) Great actresses need great support from people like you and me Joe. I hope this does not make me a troll? Joe’s not a troll! Actually I think you could be a really supportive fan, right Joe?!

13. Jeremy says:

I hope they bring Breaking In back, that show was really good! Slater and the cast were awesome.

14. tboy@h says:

like ur style ur ar to much keep it up like d way u take part in smallville

15. Anthony says:

Well, weeeeell, this could get interesting. Heh heh. Cassidy Freeman’s such a hottie!

16. Alejandra V says:

I miss Tom welling so much… I am glad for Ms Freeman, I just hope see Tom soon, i love him so much, he´s just exceptional, please i need him on my tv, in movies or a magazine Now!!!!!!