Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Smallville's Cassidy Freeman to Recur on The Playboy Club

We know how Cassidy Freeman will be passing the days waiting to learn the fate of her and Katee Sackhoff’s A&E pilot, Longmire — by spending some time at NBC’s The Playboy Club.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Smallville alumna has booked the recurring role of Frances Dunhill, a Chicago socialite who begins a “for show”-only relationship with Nick Dalton (played by series lead Eddie Cibrian). The arrangement benefits both parties, as Nick runs for public office and Frances labors to please her father (while also concealing a secret).

NBC’s Playboy Club Casts Eddie Cibrian’s ‘Brother’

Playboy Club marks Freeman’s second gig of the fall TV season, having previously shot a role for the season premiere of CSI: NY. Other Smallville alumni keeping busy these days include Erica Durance (aka Lois Lane, now in Miami striking a spark with one of Charlie’s Angels) and Justin Hartley (Oliver/Green Arrow, who will be guesting on Chuck). Michael Rosenbaum’s Breaking In, meanwhile, remains a contender for a midseason return on Fox.

Fall TV First Impression: The Bare Facts About The Playboy Club

The Playboy Club opens for business on Monday, Sept. 19, at 10/9c. Freeman first appears in the third episode.

Comments (28)

• So Glad Smallville Alum are getting work!

Comment by Jake – August 15, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cassidy and wish her all he best with her guest spot and new show.

Comment by Monique – August 15, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t going to watch this show (I was much more interested in it when Jeph Hephner was cast, tbh) but I adored Cassidy Freeman on Smallville. I may just check in for her.

Comment by Summer – August 15, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another show to watch :)

Comment by Tiva4Life – August 15, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loving all the Smallville alums( Erica, Justin, Cassidy and Callum) getting work. Now I just need to see Tom back on my TV.

Comment by Mike – August 15, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want to see Tom guest star on Supernatural. I know he’s friends with the guys over there, so I think it’d be a fun episode if he did.

Comment by Drew – August 16, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that wants Breaking In to come back? I thought that show was excellent and was hoping third times a charm for Christian Slater.

Comment by Dave – August 15, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cassidy’s recurring stint on Playboy Club seems a little OK with me but I like Erica’s “guest starring” gig on Charlie’s Angels even better and hopfully producers should consider bringing the hot Lois Lane back for a “recurring” role sometime this season.

Comment by kevin – August 15, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cassidy Freeman is a good actress, so good for her. I also hope her pilot gets picked up.

Comment by Turtle – August 15, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Breaking In still has a chance of survival? EXCELLENT! I loved that show. Although Odette now has the recurring gig on House… :(

Comment by localboy – August 16, 2011 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the first I heard that it might survive. That’s great news, the show is a lot of fun.

Comment by Jim – August 16, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Smallville but glad to see a lot of the familiar faces. :D

Comment by Vannesa – August 16, 2011 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her best scene ever on “Smallville” was her duet with Allessandro Juliani as “Dr. Emil” in the bachelor party episode. Who gives a crap about “Playboy Club”, its her pilot with Katee Sackhoff, “Longmire” that I’m hoping gets picked up. Good news that she is getting work, she was definitely one of the good things about “Smallville”.

Comment by BHM1304 – August 16, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show sounds like it’s going to be really sleazy. Tess was a skank. Cassidy Freeman is going to get type cast if she doesn’t watch it.

Comment by Joe – August 16, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tess was a skank? How? She had a crush on Clark, which never went anywhere and she had Oliver, who she had once been in a serious relationship with. Other than that, did she ever even date anyone? She did not dress slutty. She didn’t act slutty.

Sorry, Tess wasn’t a skank.

Comment by Drew – August 16, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Drew Drew Drew…if you don’t feed the troll it will go away. And that’s a lazy troll too.

Comment by ultimate troll – August 16, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure I’m lazy, why else would I be on this site instead of doing my job. And I’m a troll because I don’t worship your particular idol. Only your opinions count, obviously.

Comment by Joe – August 17, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tess was a saint who didn’t have sex with Oliver because she had an itch to scratch and she didn’t sleep with Zod to get information. She also didn’t try to kill Stuart for refusing to fry Lois’ brains or gave that Sebastian guy implied permission to kill Lois after she uncovered his secret. She also hasn’t been a heinous b*tch to Chloe, Lois, Cat Grant and most other people she has contact with a lot of the time. She’s a role model that I’d want my kids to look up to!

Comment by Joe – August 17, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joe – Cassidy Freeman is an extremely talented and intelligent actress. I don’t think the character she developed, Tess Mercer, was a ‘skank’ AT ALL! Tess was in fact one of the most interesting, mysterious, complex and fascinating characters on Smallville. I’m really looking forward to seeing her future work. In terms of trying to type cast Cassidy, you couldn’t even if you wanted to. – Jeremy

Comment by Jeremy Board – August 16, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You obviously meant to type ‘Tess Mercer, was NOT a ‘skank’….’. The character was complex, I’ll give you that. But she came across as more schizo than mysterious and the constant flip flopping of the character made her more annoying than fascinating and interesting. In the end I just wanted her gone from the show. Even Cassidy Freeman’s good looks couldn’t save the character from being unwatchable for me.

Comment by Joe – August 17, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @ Jeremy Board. Oops. Just read your post properly – missed the ‘I don’t think…’ part. Apologies.

Comment by Joe – August 17, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well Joe we will just have to agree on some points and disagree on others, all good. I agree with you Joe that Cassidy is very attractive, in a number of ways, and she did create a complex character for sure. Personally, I didn’t see schizo as much as mysterious, although I think she can play both very well. I would have liked to see her stay for many more seasons on Smallville, but she has moved on to new roles and performances. I think you should give her a chance Joe in the new role, the new show has not even aired yet!!:) Great actresses need great support from people like you and me Joe. I hope this does not make me a troll? Joe’s not a troll! Actually I think you could be a really supportive fan, right Joe?!

Comment by Jeremy Board – August 17, 2011 11:48 AM PDT
  • I hope they bring Breaking In back, that show was really good! Slater and the cast were awesome.

Comment by Jeremy – August 16, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • like ur style ur ar to much keep it up like d way u take part in smallville

Comment by tboy@h – August 16, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, weeeeell, this could get interesting. Heh heh. Cassidy Freeman’s such a hottie!

Comment by Anthony – August 17, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Tom welling so much… I am glad for Ms Freeman, I just hope see Tom soon, i love him so much, he´s just exceptional, please i need him on my tv, in movies or a magazine Now!!!!!!

Comment by Alejandra V – August 21, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post