MTV Renews Awkward. for Season 2

Get More: News, Renewals

Hapless high schooler Jenna Hamilton may have just experienced her first good break: MTV has renewed its freshman hit, Awkward., for a second season.

Barely a month into its debut season — and with seven episodes still left to air! — the quirky teen comedy is set to return for more high school awkwardness come 2012.

Awkward. has really resonated with our young audience marking yet another successful push into scripted programming and the further diversification of our schedule,” MTV head of programming David Janollari says in a statement. “[Creator] Lauren Iungerich has created a truly unique, contemporary young female voice, brought to life by the show’s incredibly talented cast.”

Awkward.’s pickup comes on the heels of the cabler’s cancellation of sophomore series The Hard Times of R.J. Berger and second season order for the supernatural thriller Teen Wolf.

Tags: ,

Comments (102)

• AWESOME! While not groundbreaking the show is really funny.

Comment by Steven – August 15, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to hear it! MTV’s really surprised me with this and Teen Wolf. While neither of them is really all that new or original, they’ve both been handled incredibly well, and are far better than what I’d expect out of MTV.

Comment by Summer – August 15, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show! Glad to hear it will be back for a second season

Comment by Adrian – August 15, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BUt when ?

Comment by Ashly – October 9, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sometime in 2012

Comment by MattyLover – October 21, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHEN is it gonna come back?? cuz its already march

Comment by jess – March 28, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now it’s April and it’s still nor back! WHEN IS It COMING BACK????

Comment by Antonia – April 5, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this show so much cant wait any longer when will it start?

Comment by Samantha – May 17, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch them schedule it to return next spring ala RJ Berger and it’ll slowly fade away into cancellation land. MTV doesn’t do quirky very long. It only does explosive numbers and shows (scripted) that talk like Teen Wolf. Sucks but true…

Comment by Dan – August 15, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Teen Wolf ratings are only in the 1.70 million mostly every week, Awkward is in the 1.90 Million each week so Teen Wolf would be cancel before this show.

Comment by fernando – August 15, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • right with u over here

Comment by MattyLover – October 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!! I love Love Love this show,it’s so cute and silly and it rocks lol

Comment by fernando – August 15, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good the show looks decent, this and teen wolf looks alright. I may check them out sometime.

Comment by lorna – August 15, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good! I love this show.

Comment by melissa – August 15, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I’m really liking this show so far.

Comment by Tee – August 16, 2011 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy this show! Its funny and smart, not groundbreaking or anything but still watchable!

Comment by Samantha – August 16, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear the show was renewed! It’s so good!

Comment by sheilar88 – August 16, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg i have so many problems in school …. i feel like everything that happens to jeena has happened to me .. well not the arm but .. the guys …

Comment by that gurl – August 31, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!!!

Comment by Britni – September 22, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show… And more of Matty McKibben?! Hell yeah, I’ll take it :-)

Comment by Danielle – September 24, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!! I can’t wait to see the next season! I hope mtv keeps it on for a while! Its great!

Comment by Hollye – September 27, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THIS SHOW, ESPECIALLY JENNA’S MOM, SHE’S HILARIOUS, ALONG WITH THE GUIDANCE COUNSELOR…I was surprised to find out the ending of the 1st season, but looking forward to season 2 :D

Comment by marta – September 27, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the show and cant wait for the second season to come out. its a down to earth show and shows pretty much what real life high school is like but obviously with more added because it is tv…but i cant wait wish it was coming back on now!!!

Comment by mikki june – September 28, 2011 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyyyyyy!!!! This is my all tym FAV Sho…an i need to see more…so Glad ders a second season coming out

Comment by Barbie – September 28, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE LOVE LOVE this show, cant wait for season two!!’(:

Comment by ryan31794 – September 28, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • - im reaaaallly mad that she didnt end up with matty -_- ; im not sure if im gonna watch the next season

Comment by Alexis – September 28, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreeeeeddd…. I looooovvved them together…. I seriously need a date of when the second season is going to start… I cannot WAIT another YEAR

Comment by Mariah – September 28, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol Shut up.

Comment by Megan – December 3, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show.. Cant wait for season 2…

Comment by Letty – September 28, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sooo excited about this! this is literally my favorite show that’s been on television for awhile now. i’m 25 and i can look back to my high school days and totally relate to so many of these situations and get nostalgic. if i had it my way there’d be like 10 seasons of this show.

Comment by k.t. – September 28, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly love the show. I’d be very upset if it did get canceled.

Comment by haley – September 29, 2011 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Awkward!!! Im so Excited they are doing a Season 2!! I just wish they would make it longer then 30 Mins!

Comment by Alisha – September 29, 2011 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and I’m 32. I’m in love with Matty and Jake which makes me feel like a cougar but I don’t care. Its a great show and Mtv would be idiots if they didn’t renew over and over.I’m hoping there is not too large of gaps between when they air each. I think that’s when shows lose viewers but either way Awkward will not lose me.

Comment by missy – September 29, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!! My new favorite! Val is the best, and even though Sadie is awful and mean, I still think her character is fun to watch! Whoooo I hope this stays longer than 2 seasons!!

Comment by Paige – September 29, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds awesome!!!!!!! This show is a hit. And so is TEEN WOLF!!! I love them both. Thanks MTV for giving us some real entertainment.

Comment by Hawra – September 29, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im inlove with this show and i cannot wait til season 2 starts!! great show i wait up every tuesday to watch it,its so funny and soo true at the same time!!

Comment by danieellla – September 29, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so thrilled to hear that both Awkward and Teen Wolf have been picked up. These were two of the biggest surprises of the summer for me. Teen Wolf is a fresh take on the eighties movie that is both smart and scary. It’ll be interesting to see what happens next. I’m even more excited about Awkward’s pick-up. I’m a 45 year old man, so I’m about as far away as you can get from the show (and the network’s) target demo. Yet something about the show resonated for me. I don’t know if it’s the humour, or if it’s the smart, universal story. Whatever it is, I’m glad that finally someone made a good show and people ACTUALLY WATCHED IT! Seems like every show I like (like Terriers or Chicago Code) gets cancelled. Finally a couple of shows I’ll get to see a second season of!

Comment by Shaun Firth – September 29, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ur so srypid teen wold is just as good as awkward wake up honey!

Comment by sarah – September 30, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IN LOVE with this show! I have never loved a show so much?… hahahahah i am so glad there will be a second season, it’d be foolish if their wasn’t. Wish the shows were longer though! I’m in love with the characters and Matty is a keeper. Too good.

Comment by Priscilla Terry – September 30, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god. This show was so addicting! I was bawling durin the last episode! Matty and Jenna are so cute together and I think they just have to start going out NOW!

Comment by Casey – October 2, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want to wait to 2012, I have watched all episodes in season 1!
    I love this show so much! I want season 2 to release now!

Comment by anonymous – October 2, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING THE SHOW BACK I LOVE THIS SHOW AND NEXT TIME HAVE MORE EPISODES ! AND MAKE THE SEASONS CLOSER TOGETHER I HATE THE AGONY OF WAITING ! haah thanks :)

Comment by De – October 3, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t you just hear Sadie saying “you’re welcome.” haha Awesome show. Can’t wait for the next season

Comment by kellyz – October 3, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE AWKWARD! I cant wait for the second season!! :O

Comment by Team jake – October 4, 2011 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i looovveee this serie.! im looking forward to watching the second season… hope it doesnt get canceled.. ive had that kinda disappointment with ”Privileged”.. cant wait.!!!!!!!!! <3

Comment by kiika – October 4, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love awkward <3

Comment by caitlin – October 5, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally something other than reality TV on MTV. God, I love it. And I love AWKWARD! Team Jake all the way ;)

Comment by jakelove – October 5, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i lovvvvveeee awkward cannot wait until season two <3

Comment by renee – October 7, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I havint watched tv in a long time because everyhing is same old, boring ,but i watched one episode and couldnt stop, awkward is awesome !!!! sooo cant wait for season 2

Comment by Teeniq – October 10, 2011 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I EFFIN LOVEEEEEEEE THIS SHOW I CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 2!!!

Comment by Katrina – October 10, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awkward is an awesome show! Glad it is coming back for a second season. I will watch it to the end.

Comment by Becky – October 10, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gay asdshole you suck

Comment by tyfranks – October 11, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m 37 and I became hooked instantly, I got my 18 yr old daughter hooked on it now… Can’t wait for Season 2

Comment by Lunamar – October 11, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does anyone knoe when the second season starts again

Comment by bere – October 11, 2011 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am obsessed with this show, I never watch MTV because its all reality crap and I feel like my brain is melting when I watch things like that. My 18 year old brother actually showed me ‘Awkward’ for the first time, and its great! It reminds me of my high school experiences. I love Jenna and Matty and even Jake, but Jenna and Matty need to get back together even though Jake is basically perfect for her. What is the date of this show’s return?? I do not want to wait till the spring and see the show just fizzle out because Jersey Shore was more important to air.

Comment by Caoilainn – October 14, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, and I really don’t understand how they can choose to air “Jersey Shore” in stead of “Awkward”, or in this case any other show. I’m really excited for season 2. :)

Comment by Anette – October 23, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad season two is coming out. I mean, seriously, what was up with that cliff hanger?

Comment by Beeble – October 18, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jennaz mum reminds me of my mum. =( sad but true.

Comment by floss – October 19, 2011 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaay!! I love this show!

Comment by dsmittie – October 24, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 22 years old & absolutely LOVEEEEE this show. I never watch MTV, I dont watch the jersey shore or real world or any of those shows but Awkward is the best I won’t miss an episode and I cannot wait for it to come back on the air for season two. I wish they had more episodes or longer episodes but it always leaves me wanting more. Cannot wait to see what happens with the whole Jenna Jake Matty situation in season 2.

Comment by LoveAwkward – October 25, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post