MTV Renews Awkward. for Season 2

Hapless high schooler Jenna Hamilton may have just experienced her first good break: MTV has renewed its freshman hit, Awkward., for a second season.

Barely a month into its debut season — and with seven episodes still left to air! — the quirky teen comedy is set to return for more high school awkwardness come 2012.

Awkward. has really resonated with our young audience marking yet another successful push into scripted programming and the further diversification of our schedule,” MTV head of programming David Janollari says in a statement. “[Creator] Lauren Iungerich has created a truly unique, contemporary young female voice, brought to life by the show’s incredibly talented cast.”

Awkward.’s pickup comes on the heels of the cabler’s cancellation of sophomore series The Hard Times of R.J. Berger and second season order for the supernatural thriller Teen Wolf.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. Steven says:

AWESOME! While not groundbreaking the show is really funny.

2. Summer says:

So glad to hear it! MTV’s really surprised me with this and Teen Wolf. While neither of them is really all that new or original, they’ve both been handled incredibly well, and are far better than what I’d expect out of MTV.

3. Adrian says:

i love this show! Glad to hear it will be back for a second season

4. Dan says:

Watch them schedule it to return next spring ala RJ Berger and it’ll slowly fade away into cancellation land. MTV doesn’t do quirky very long. It only does explosive numbers and shows (scripted) that talk like Teen Wolf. Sucks but true…

5. fernando says:

YAY!!!!!! I love Love Love this show,it’s so cute and silly and it rocks lol

6. lorna says:

Good the show looks decent, this and teen wolf looks alright. I may check them out sometime.

7. melissa says:

Good! I love this show.

8. Tee says:

Yay! I’m really liking this show so far.

9. Samantha says:

I really enjoy this show! Its funny and smart, not groundbreaking or anything but still watchable!

10. sheilar88 says:

So happy to hear the show was renewed! It’s so good!

11. that gurl says:

omg i have so many problems in school …. i feel like everything that happens to jeena has happened to me .. well not the arm but .. the guys …

12. Britni says:

So excited!!!

13. Danielle says:

Love this show… And more of Matty McKibben?! Hell yeah, I’ll take it :-)

14. Hollye says:

I love this show!!! I can’t wait to see the next season! I hope mtv keeps it on for a while! Its great!

15. marta says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW, ESPECIALLY JENNA’S MOM, SHE’S HILARIOUS, ALONG WITH THE GUIDANCE COUNSELOR…I was surprised to find out the ending of the 1st season, but looking forward to season 2 :D

16. mikki june says:

i love the show and cant wait for the second season to come out. its a down to earth show and shows pretty much what real life high school is like but obviously with more added because it is tv…but i cant wait wish it was coming back on now!!!

17. Barbie says:

Yayyyyyyy!!!! This is my all tym FAV Sho…an i need to see more…so Glad ders a second season coming out

18. ryan31794 says:

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this show, cant wait for season two!!'(:

19. Alexis says:

- im reaaaallly mad that she didnt end up with matty -_- ; im not sure if im gonna watch the next season

20. Letty says:

Loved this show.. Cant wait for season 2…

21. k.t. says:

sooo excited about this! this is literally my favorite show that’s been on television for awhile now. i’m 25 and i can look back to my high school days and totally relate to so many of these situations and get nostalgic. if i had it my way there’d be like 10 seasons of this show.

22. haley says:

I honestly love the show. I’d be very upset if it did get canceled.

23. Alisha says:

I love Awkward!!! Im so Excited they are doing a Season 2!! I just wish they would make it longer then 30 Mins!

24. missy says:

I love this show and I’m 32. I’m in love with Matty and Jake which makes me feel like a cougar but I don’t care. Its a great show and Mtv would be idiots if they didn’t renew over and over.I’m hoping there is not too large of gaps between when they air each. I think that’s when shows lose viewers but either way Awkward will not lose me.

25. Paige says:

I love this show!!! My new favorite! Val is the best, and even though Sadie is awful and mean, I still think her character is fun to watch! Whoooo I hope this stays longer than 2 seasons!!

26. Hawra says:

Sounds awesome!!!!!!! This show is a hit. And so is TEEN WOLF!!! I love them both. Thanks MTV for giving us some real entertainment.

27. danieellla says:

im inlove with this show and i cannot wait til season 2 starts!! great show i wait up every tuesday to watch it,its so funny and soo true at the same time!!

28. Shaun Firth says:

I’m so thrilled to hear that both Awkward and Teen Wolf have been picked up. These were two of the biggest surprises of the summer for me. Teen Wolf is a fresh take on the eighties movie that is both smart and scary. It’ll be interesting to see what happens next. I’m even more excited about Awkward’s pick-up. I’m a 45 year old man, so I’m about as far away as you can get from the show (and the network’s) target demo. Yet something about the show resonated for me. I don’t know if it’s the humour, or if it’s the smart, universal story. Whatever it is, I’m glad that finally someone made a good show and people ACTUALLY WATCHED IT! Seems like every show I like (like Terriers or Chicago Code) gets cancelled. Finally a couple of shows I’ll get to see a second season of!

29. sarah says:

Ur so srypid teen wold is just as good as awkward wake up honey!

30. Priscilla Terry says:

IN LOVE with this show! I have never loved a show so much?… hahahahah i am so glad there will be a second season, it’d be foolish if their wasn’t. Wish the shows were longer though! I’m in love with the characters and Matty is a keeper. Too good.

31. Casey says:

Oh my god. This show was so addicting! I was bawling durin the last episode! Matty and Jenna are so cute together and I think they just have to start going out NOW!

32. anonymous says:

I don’t want to wait to 2012, I have watched all episodes in season 1!
    I love this show so much! I want season 2 to release now!

33. De says:

BRING THE SHOW BACK I LOVE THIS SHOW AND NEXT TIME HAVE MORE EPISODES ! AND MAKE THE SEASONS CLOSER TOGETHER I HATE THE AGONY OF WAITING ! haah thanks :)

34. kellyz says:

can’t you just hear Sadie saying “you’re welcome.” haha Awesome show. Can’t wait for the next season

35. Team jake says:

I LOVE AWKWARD! I cant wait for the second season!! :O

36. kiika says:

i looovveee this serie.! im looking forward to watching the second season… hope it doesnt get canceled.. ive had that kinda disappointment with ”Privileged”.. cant wait.!!!!!!!!! <3

37. caitlin says:

i love awkward <3

38. jakelove says:

Finally something other than reality TV on MTV. God, I love it. And I love AWKWARD! Team Jake all the way ;)

39. renee says:

i lovvvvveeee awkward cannot wait until season two <3

40. Teeniq says:

I havint watched tv in a long time because everyhing is same old, boring ,but i watched one episode and couldnt stop, awkward is awesome !!!! sooo cant wait for season 2

41. Katrina says:

I EFFIN LOVEEEEEEEE THIS SHOW I CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 2!!!

42. Becky says:

Awkward is an awesome show! Glad it is coming back for a second season. I will watch it to the end.

43. tyfranks says:

gay asdshole you suck

44. Lunamar says:

I’m 37 and I became hooked instantly, I got my 18 yr old daughter hooked on it now… Can’t wait for Season 2

45. bere says:

does anyone knoe when the second season starts again

46. Caoilainn says:

I am obsessed with this show, I never watch MTV because its all reality crap and I feel like my brain is melting when I watch things like that. My 18 year old brother actually showed me ‘Awkward’ for the first time, and its great! It reminds me of my high school experiences. I love Jenna and Matty and even Jake, but Jenna and Matty need to get back together even though Jake is basically perfect for her. What is the date of this show’s return?? I do not want to wait till the spring and see the show just fizzle out because Jersey Shore was more important to air.

• Anette says:

I agree with you, and I really don’t understand how they can choose to air “Jersey Shore” in stead of “Awkward”, or in this case any other show. I’m really excited for season 2. :)

47. Beeble says:

I’m so glad season two is coming out. I mean, seriously, what was up with that cliff hanger?

48. floss says:

jennaz mum reminds me of my mum. =( sad but true.

49. dsmittie says:

Yaaay!! I love this show!

50. LoveAwkward says:

I am 22 years old & absolutely LOVEEEEE this show. I never watch MTV, I dont watch the jersey shore or real world or any of those shows but Awkward is the best I won’t miss an episode and I cannot wait for it to come back on the air for season two. I wish they had more episodes or longer episodes but it always leaves me wanting more. Cannot wait to see what happens with the whole Jenna Jake Matty situation in season 2.