Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Premieres Calendar: Save the 101 Dates!

We hope you’re getting in some relaxation during these last weeks of summer, because come mid-September, things are going to get pretty crazy for you, your TV and Mr. DVR.

When will the NCIS team report back for duty? When do the Grey’s docs scrub back in? When will Mr. Schuester get a third crack at ill-preparing glee club for competition? How soon will the SAMCRO boys be sprung from the clink?

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

We’ve prepared a calendar of the more than 80 broadcast and major cable shows premiering in September alone (!), along with a summary of what’s coming down the pike in October and November. (Lest any Cougar Town enthusiasts freak out, again, we also remind you of which broadcast shows are debuting much later in the fall, as well as at midseason.)

Also: Our day-by-day calendar can be found here, so you can easily see what is airing against what.

Check Out TVLine’s First Impressions of Several New Fall Shows

So go ahead, click on the image below to enlarge and print it out; new shows are designated in RED. Then skim the busy, busy third week of September and give your DVR a loving pat on the head.

Preemptive P.S. Our calendar-making skills are not infallible — Pope Gregory XIII’s summer internship just ended and all — so if you spot something that is missing, drop a polite note in Comments and we’ll make updates as warranted.

Comments (127)

• The new tv shows I’m waiting for are:

ALCATRAZ
    THE PLAYBOY CLUB
    PRIME SUSPECT
    TERRA NOVA
    WHITNEY
    TOUCH
    NEW GIRL
    PERSON OF INTEREST

And I’ll try Pan Am & Charlies Angeles just becouse there are sexy actress to watch :)

Comment by john88 – August 14, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for New Girl, Unforgettable & Ringer!!! :D

Comment by Sarah – August 14, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is “Boss” from Starz?

Comment by Guest – August 14, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kelsey Grammer’s BOSS premieres Oct. 21 at 10/9c; will add to next revise.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t bother. Nobody is going to watch that!

Comment by Grace – August 31, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have a question, tho – will we also get a “midseason premiere calendar”, and some kind of coverage for new shows? Seeing we didn’t get much coverage for shows that premiered after october… :S

Comment by Delirious – November 5, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Psyched for the printable calendar! You beat EW to it by a couple weeks. Thanks!

Comment by Danielle – August 14, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m super excited too! So glad I don’t have to make my own, which I was just starting to do!

Comment by Gina – August 15, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Alcatraz, The Playboy Club, and Person of Interest as well…

I need my fix of Jorge Garcia, David Krumholtz, and Michael Emerson. Haha!

Comment by Cary – August 14, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HAVE A LOT OF SHOWS TO WATCH THIS FALL…
    90210
    Glee
    Nikita
    The Simpsons
    Hart of Dixie
    Happy Endings

Comment by Randy – August 14, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this needs an iCal download. No, I am not joking.

Comment by Becca – August 14, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • South Park premiere Oct.5th?

Comment by Jon – August 14, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s just a resumption of Season 15, but since you brought it up politely, I shall consider adding!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the HBO shows? Boardwalk Empire, Hung, Bored to Death, and the new series Enlightened are all September and early October. At first I thought you excluded subscriber channels, but you have Showtime’s Dexter and Homeland…

Comment by Drew – August 14, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see Big Bang Theory! Am I just being dim??

Comment by SarahLou – August 14, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sept. 22, very first item — and two episodes.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you Matt!

Comment by SarahLou – August 14, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about cougar town?

Comment by cat – August 14, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cougar Town is mid-season, listed in the blue box at the bottom.

Comment by Meg – August 14, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Awake? The promo I saw few months ago looked good, but I can’t find it on this schedule…. Oh, and what happened to 30 Rock?

Comment by nakedheat2356 – August 14, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both 30 ROCK and AWAKE are at midseason, as denoted in the shaded box at bottom of calendar.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me I can’t wait 90210 and vampires diaries

Comment by LannieDelena – August 14, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is “How I Met Your Mother” coming on again? I just started watching the re-runs over the summer with my brother and now we’re hooked!

Comment by 08ertwilighter – August 14, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • September 19th.

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 14, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the premiere date for House is listed wrong. The calendar says 10/9 but your article says 10/3. http://www.tvline.com/2011/08/matts-inside-line-scoop-house-glee-bones-sons-anarchy-middle/#more-239472

Comment by Meg – August 14, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Correct, HOUSE returns Oct. 3. Will edit later.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for putting this calendar together. The fact you’re making revisions based on our comments just makes me love you that much more. I started to make my own calendar last night but now I can stop because you’ve done all the work for me. Thanks again!

Comment by Tisha – August 14, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ditto ditto. thanks, matt. much appreciated :)

Comment by lipsticksocialism – August 14, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto that, Tisha. Thanks, guys.

Comment by DrewH – August 15, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I posted this in MA’s twitter, but I’ll put it here, too. Can we get the calendar as a PDF or at least something downloadable? I want to put it on my computer and highlight the shows I want to watch. I know I could just save the image, but it’s better quality for such fine print if we could get the download from you guys.

Comment by Stephanie – August 14, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland, please?????

Comment by apolonia – August 14, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Southland won’t premiere until January 2012. I believe they don’t start filming until October.

Comment by Don – August 14, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Californication? I need my Moody!

Comment by Kristin – August 14, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Californication I also believe won’t return until January 2012. It’s probably going to be paired again with the 2nd season of Episodes.

Comment by Don – August 14, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Shameless and Californication will sandwich the new House of Lies on Showtime. All three shows start January 8th. No date on Episodes S2 available as of now.

Comment by Bernd – August 14, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MOST anticipated RETURNING shows:

Two and Half Men (minus Mr. Charlie Sheen) — people are curious to see how or IF the show can survive without his royal highness.

Glee– Whether you’re a die-hard Gleek or a former fan who swears after the mediocre second season that you’ll never watch again, you will be tuning in. The hype and publicity this show gets is what some TV shows pray for (it may even be arguably even be the most covered show on TV) and has a major hand in the building anticpation for Season 3. Besides, whether your’re a newcomer, old comer, or former viewer you all tune in to see the beloved cast graduate. Ta ta, Lea Michele you will be missed, um, even though the HP Commercials are very rampant on TV.

BONES– does this need an explanation? Lets make this simple, BONES+BOOTH+BABY= OHMYGODMYITHINKIMDYINGMUSTWATCHTV.

House– with Cuddy gone most viewers will be back, now with the absent Huddy drama people are going to wonder if House can get back to basics and make this the number one medical drama on TV again. (Sorry, Greys you haven’t been worthy since season 6)

Lastly, Desperate Housewives—the final season will have old viewers who abandoned the show after mediocre writing, horrible storylines and backwards character developments returning. Even though I havent watched this show since Mary Alice died, I will tune in again to bid adeu to the oh, so desperate (for er, ratings) housewives.

Most Overrated Anticipated New Show: The New Girl. Zooey Deschannel will always have to prove herself to step out of her sisters shadows. The Katy Perry look-alike will find that tough considering she’s half as attractive and half as talented as the lovely Emily.

Comment by Wally – August 14, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not nice Wally……………. Zooey is quite as lovely as Emily but in a more gamin fashion and yes she is very talented.

Comment by apolonia – August 14, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention, the sisters Deschanel have been around WAY longer than Katy Perry. So, artificial parts aside, Katy looks like them, not the other way around.

Comment by PJM – August 15, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It kind of doesn’t even make sense to say that Zooey will always have to prove herself in order to step out of her sister’s shadow. I recall watching Zooey in movies on the big screen long before Emily was ever even on Bones and, truth be told, did not even know Zooey HAD a sister until that show premiered. That statement is totally unfounded.

Comment by J. – August 15, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most anticipated new shows for me are: Ringer, followed by Terra Nova, Alcatraz and Prime Suspect.

Most awaiting for come backs: Castle, Body of Proof, The Killing, and The Good WIfe. :)

Comment by nitemar – August 14, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else watch far too much TV? I mean, I DVR 4 to 6 hours of tv a night, with more than that on Monday and Thursday nights. Since weekends are for football, I really will have to save some of my shows for weeks of repeats. I have tallied up the totals of what I watch (not counting football) and it looks like this:

Sunday – 5 hours
    Monday – 8-10 hours depending if I watch the Sing Off. It is the kind of show I can watch half of in fast forward.
    Tuesday – 6 – 7 hours (if Unforgettable is good)
    Wednesday – 4 hours
    Thursday – 10 hours
    Friday – 3 hours
    Saturday – 30 mins

That is a 4 hour a night average, which definitely doesn’t happen, so it is certain I will have to wait for nights of repeats of my main shows so I can watch the others. It would be almost depressing to have this many shows except this really is the new golden age of tv, and so much of it is good.

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 14, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had a crazy TV schedule up until two years ago, but then last year I just had to let it go and choose a couple of shows to watch during the season, while I catch up on some of the rest in the summer. It just became like work because I just didn’t have time to have a life AND watch so much tv. It has been quite a relief to let some of them go, and it was much easier than I had anticipated (to let some of them go). I still follow what’s going on in them, and if v. interested, I watch the interesting clips (i really don’t need to watch six crime shows even if I love the characters). JMO

Comment by lipsticksocialism – August 14, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I am ashamed to admit it, I too watch that much TV(2 DVRs). I figure I’m paying Comcast and arm and a leg, I’m going to get my money’s worth.

My favorites: Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead, The Good Wife, HIMYM, Mike and Molly, Parenthood, Glee, Raising Hope, The Middle, Modern Family, VD, Greys, Bones, Community,Parks and Rec, The Office, Survivor, Big Bang, Fringe and Supernatural Plus, there are quite a few intesting new shows this year – Grimm, Pan Am, Once Upon A Time, Alcatraz, American Horror Story, Ringer, Hart of Dixie — I’m exhausted thinking about all that work! Sometimes when a show gets cancelled, I kind of breath a sign of relief…I guess I have a serious addiction…please…help…me…

Comment by Poppy – August 14, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’m one of those people who watches way too much TV. I live in Australia, so I usually have to download my shows to watch them (or else wait months for them to show here, if they even decide to show them), and thank god that means I don’t have to watch ads!
        I think I’m watching about 45 shows this season including midseasons and new shows, and I’m kind of hoping that some of the new ones will be terrible just so I can stop watching them without feeling guilty…
        The most awkward part about watching so much TV is that it’s sort of a hobby, but when people ask me what my hobbies are (especially during an interview), I can’t just be like ‘well… my main hobby is watching TV’ :/

Comment by airhead – August 14, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL I’ve had that problem with the hobby question too!

Comment by Katie – August 15, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’[m disabled, no family near by, can’t work or drive and public transport doesn’t exist in my area. I work my DVR, netflix, blockbuster and graboid almost to death. Sometimes, it’s all you have.

Comment by Kathi – August 15, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry to hear that. I’ve found I’m actually in better shape because of tv, since I hit the treadmill at least an hour a day while I knock out a show or two.

Comment by Sg. Grant – August 15, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope you move around a lot during the daytime as well??? That is way too much sitting. Do you snack while you watch tv as well?

Comment by Grace – August 31, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • About watching too much TV: (which I do, too) if you’ve dvr’d it, then every hour is reduced by about 17 minutes of commercials. So every 3 hours of recorded TV = 2 hours and a few minutes of actual watching time. And then there’s the shows we all fast-forward through – you know, keeping your line in to see if it’s still a crap-fest or so you’re up to date to be able to snark it the next day.

Comment by grannygeek – September 4, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell yes I watch too much TV and have way too much saved to Tivo. I have to speed watch my recorded shows every night just so I can tape more the next day and so on and so forth.

Comment by Lisa – September 7, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of the new shows don’t look interesting,I’m just waiting for Bones and Fringe everything else on Fox is pretty shi.tty though. But I might give Terra Nova a chance or maybe Prime suspect.

Comment by Solomae – August 14, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lmfao, but everything else on FOX has higher ratings than Fringe or Bones. Score.

Comment by LMFAO – August 14, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uhhh so what those shows are still on so I’m happy. And higher ratings doesn’t mean a show is better, if thats the case then I guess Jersey Shore and those other reality crap are fantastic and really worth watching right?? I guess not.

Comment by Solomae – August 14, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • correction bones was the best performer for fox last season if it can get great ratings in the thurday slot it can get great ratings any night

Comment by melita – August 14, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel this way about anything new on NBC. Until they bring Chuck back I refuse to watch anything but Chuck on NBC. USA is literally the only NBC based network I’ll watch, and that’s only because of White Collar and Psych. Once those are over I’ll no longer watch any NBC networks.

Comment by Becky – August 15, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the Playboy Club, Free Agents, and Up All Night are not going to work but they can’t give Chuck 11 more episodes, its last season.

Comment by Ali – August 15, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I want to check out Anthony Head on Free Agents.

Comment by Lisa – September 7, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • [H]OUSE on FOX is going to be AMAZING this season!!!
      Give it a try after Terra Nova. :)

Comment by Grace – August 31, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m one of probably like 6 people who are disappointed Bob’s Burgers isn’t premiering until midseason. It’s the best cartoon on any network right now.

Comment by Sam – August 14, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • count me as one of the 6. h. jon benjamin can do no wrong and bob’s burgers is one of 2 animated shows i actually watch. the other being archer.

Comment by murley – August 15, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Justified on FX?

Comment by Sara – August 14, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JUSTIFIED has premiered in March and February its first two seasons.

The purpose of this post is not to detail the premiere date for every single TV show currently off the air, but to list the fall premieres and remind folks of what from the broadcast networks is being held for midseason.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pilots of shows I plan to check out:

Ringer
    The New Girl
    Once Upon a Time
    Awake (midseason)
    Good Christian Belles (midseason)
    2 Broke Girls
    Apartment 23 (midseason)
    Pan Am
    Allen Gregory

Returning Shows:

Happy Endings
    Desperate Housewives
    Nikita
    Shameless (comes back January)
    American Dad
    Archer
    It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia
    The walking dead
    How I met your mother

Comment by Gerald – August 14, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U left off New Girl(with Zooey Deschanel), that has been set for Sept. 19th

Comment by Jericho227 – August 14, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stand corrected, New Girl is there

Comment by Jericho227 – August 14, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any info on SyFy shows Being Human and Lost Girl? Thanks!

Comment by AMF – August 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW! Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz on the same picture! Since Bones starts later this year, I hope David can guest star on Ringer :)

Comment by ZmaXcharmvill3 – August 14, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bedlam Premieres Saturday, October 8th at 9pm/8c. BBC America

Comment by aprilmgr – August 14, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing Race?

Comment by kiki – August 14, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s there——-on the 25th!

Comment by apolonia – August 14, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was going to be on on Friday nights?

Comment by Sara – August 14, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it makes its regular time slot premiere Friday, Oct. 21, at 8/7c, where it will air two hours every week. I’ll work that into the final revise.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mondays- The Sing-Off and Hawaii Five-O. I’ll watch the pilot of Terra Nova only. Tuesdays- Parenthood. Wednesdays- Harry’s Law. Thursdays- Charlie’s Angels :), Person of Interest and The Mentalist. Fridays- Final season of Chuck and FRINGE. Saturdays- SNL. Sundays- The Amazing Race,The Good Wife and Pan Am. In 2012- ALCATRAZ,The Voice,Southland and the long awaited return of Mad Men. Also September 15th I’ll watch The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle only.

Comment by kevin – August 14, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Bones was premiering in November so The Finder could take over while they prepare for Emily’s leave…so, where is The Finder?

Comment by Katie – August 14, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As denoted above, THE FINDER premieres midseason, once BONES gets its first six or so episodes aired (following the annual MLB-dictated delays).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 14, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be helpful in making my fall tv spreadsheet to know which new shows are an hour and which are only half.

Comment by Kristin – August 14, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on board with Tim Allen and Zooey Deschanel. I don’t see Once Upon A Time on your calendar, but maybe I missed it. I believe it’ll be on ABC Sundays. Looks a bit like Tin Man.

Comment by Templar – August 14, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Matt!

Comment by lacey – August 14, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, Matt!

Comment by Andrea – August 14, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re a sweetie Matt. Thanks!

Comment by Renee – August 14, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a results show for The Sing Off? Thanks.

Comment by sue – August 14, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Sing-Off Is usually only one a week, because it’s not live and the judges pick the groups to advance. The last week is live and they give you the entire week to vote. The finale results are then usually in the same time slot.

Comment by Volcfom – August 15, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks…appreciate the info!

Comment by Sue – August 15, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone else notice the angel/buffy reunion in the header pic? kind of freaking awesome. also, those two are still smoking hot.

Comment by Alyssa – August 15, 2011 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was the first thing i noticed! i couldn’t believe how happy it made me to see that. thanks for that tvline.

Comment by murley – August 15, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this, and please make another one for October there more shows premiere on October now then last year. I think it deserves a standalone.

Comment by vera – August 15, 2011 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am definitely looking forward to NBC Up All Night. It looks hilarious and might be a big hit for NBC!

Comment by Jack – August 15, 2011 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the calendar!

Comment by Beth – August 15, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE !!
    THE PLAYBOY CLUB
    Uunforgettable
    Person of Interest
    Smash
    Terra Nova

Comment by Hanna – August 15, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow david b and sarah michelle gellar in the same pics if only gibbs could be out of the pic ;)

Comment by melita – August 15, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I said the same thing! I miss those two together!

Comment by Melinda – August 15, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised nothing is premiering in August. Usually there’s 1 or 2 shows… Also, are any of the TV Line Peeps on Google +?

Comment by Dawn G. – August 15, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new show that I am looking forward to is “Homeland”. It looks intriguing plus it has Damian Lewis in it. Screw you NBC. Thank you Showtime. :)

Comment by Tania – August 15, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will ABC Family’s Make It or Break It be returning?

Comment by Nicole – August 15, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch Terra Nova, and The New Girl. I love me some Zooey Deschanel. ;) Also, I’m glad to see a tentative premere date for Alcatraz. I’m SUPER excited for that.

Comment by MajorFilmFan – August 15, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post