So You Think You Can Dance Season 8 Finale: Did the Right Person Win? (Take Our Poll!)

To the uninitiated, the parting words of So You Think You Can Dance‘s Season 8 third-place finisher might have sounded at best a little hokey, and at worst, like a last-ditch attempt at maintaining composure after discovering it would be another contestant who would take home the title. But as Marko Germar tearfully explained that, in his mind, the show was so much more than a matter of winning or losing, it drove home the deeply emotional reasons why these contestants battle so ferociously to try to make it in a physically draining profession where prospects for national fame and huge paydays are all too rare. “Money’s paper, contracts are paper,” Marko explained. “This is our life.”

That philosophy also reminded me why, in a contest among four undeniably wonderful artists, I didn’t care all that much who ended up with the Season 8 crown. Oh, sure, as the evening progressed and Cat Deeley announced that Tadd Gadduang had finished fourth — “I’ve had the time of my life,” he quipped, possibly subconsciously lobbying Kenny Ortega for a role in his planned Dirty Dancing remake — and Marko in third, I felt a slight sense of relief that it had rightfully come down to the two most consistently compelling performers this season: Melanie Moore and Sasha Mallory. And for a while, I wasn’t so sure that would be the case, since exec producer and head judge Nigel Lythgoe had begun the evening by making amends to Marko and Tadd for writing off their chances at the end of Wednesday’s performance finale. “I was insensitive,” he said. “I’d publicly like to apologize.”

I’m not sure what you heard in your living room after Nigel’s “I’m sorry” moment, but in Casa Slezak, it was the world’s largest needle scraping over the top of the world’s largest record. Uncle Nigel, apologizing? What next? A Jennifer Aniston-Angelina Jolie buddy comedy? A bipartisan rendition of kumbaya in Congress? Cats and dogs living together? I mean, would Nigel really apologize if there wasn’t a chef backstage preparing him some piping hot crow on a bed of humiliation?

So You Think You Can Dance: The 12 Best Routines of Season 8

Turns out that, yeah, apparently he would. Cat revealed that, combined, Melanie and Sasha had accounted for more that 79 percent of the 11.5 million votes cast on Wednesday–but it was the former dancer, with more than 47 percent of the ballots in her favor, who took home the title of America’s Favorite Dancer. (Yay!)

The remainder of the lightning-paced two-hour telecast was filled up with 14 “best of the season” encores, plus a dazzling tap routine starring SYTYCD UK winner Matt Flynt (flanked by Season 8 tappers Nick Young and Jess LeProtto), and a post-apocalyptic Sonya Tayeh piece that found Tadd gussied up in a black patent-leather zip-front corset with gray shoulder “turtles.” Here’s my quick take on the encores:

Dance I Was Most Excited to Revisit
Top 10 Guys’ “Doors” (though I had to restart from the beginning after spending 30 seconds trying to figure out which of the Top 10 guys had gone blonde. One word for Alexander’s new hue: Yikes!)

Dance That I Enjoyed Much More the Second Time Around
Top 10 Girls’ “Geishas”

Dances I Wish Had Been on the Set List
Tadd and Jordan’s “Vulture” Routine
Nick and Iveta’s Quickstep

Dance I Still Don’t “Get”
Ashley and Chris’ “Prison” Climb

Still Reigning as Best of the Season
Melanie and Marko’s “Return to Stone”

Routine That in Retrospect Should’ve Made My Top 12 of Season 8 Countdown
Tadd and Lauren’s “Another One Bites the Dust” (damn that was hot!)

What did you think of the Season 8 finale? What routine was your favorite, and which one do you wish had made the telecast? Did the right person win? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to share your thoughts on the season. And for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Courtney says:

Melanie became my favorite from her very first audition, and I rooted for her ever since. So happy she won!

• Linda says:

Me too!!! I knew she was the one!!!

• Tucker says:

Yep. Her first audition – I’m trying to recall if she was the first audition they showed on the whole season – she had me breathless, my mouth agape, and in tears. That’s the first audition that’s ever done that to me. Then they kind of forgot about her through the rest of the auditions. In fact, I’m not sure they really focused on her at all during Vegas week. Still, she stuck with you and continued to shine all season.

• Shannon says:

Yes she was one of the very first auditions and I had the same reaction as you!! I’ve watched this show all 8 seasons and hardly ever has a dancer who moved me so much in the audition been my favorite the entire way through. She is just beyond amazing.

• Selbs says:

Courtney, I said the very same thing when she was crowned the winner. There have now been 8 seasons, and Melanie is by far the best of them all. A great year with a fabulous finish!

• ang says:

I liked Melanie from her first audition as well but she was not challenged. 90% of her dances was in her own wheelhouse. And when she went outside of it she tanked but you would never know it because the judges praised her anyway. Her hip hop was particularly bad. Not just passable but bad. So no I don’t think she is all that and my least favorite winner ever. When you get the special moment “cancer dance” every week and told by the judges that she is the best dancer ever then I’m not surprised she won. She would not, in fact, crack my top ten SYTYCD top ten dancers list and I wouldn’t pay to her dance. I’m really sick of the judges and if this show lasts another season I will mute them next season.

2. jb says:

Well, the right dancer won. Way to go Melanie!

3. Tanya says:

I was so happy Melanie won! For once my favorite dancer from the beginning took the title. She may not be everyone’s favorite, and really – any of the other 3 winning wouldn’t have been a travesty, they were all fantastic. I just personally preferred Melanie the most. Can’t wait for next season (and hopefully the return of some choreographers who I missed a lot this year)

4. Louie says:

Is this the first time that the top 2 were both girls? Rightfully deserved too

• MDEP says:

I thought the same thing. It only took 8 seasons!

• renee says:

agree on melanie. though i wanted sasha to win, i can’t complain over either of them being in the top two. what i do find funny is nygel apologizing. he knows what the judges say sways votes, so he’s always done that. in season 3 nygel announced before the final vote, it would be nice if a woman won. sabra was good but didn’t deserve to beat danny. and that’s why i fast forward thru the judges now. watch performances and decide based on that.

• Stephanie says:

Well…Sabra has been my favorite of ALL the dancers that have ever performed on this show. I miss her and keep hoping to see her return as an All-Star, and wonder where she has gone?

Any of the top 4 winning would have been good IMO. They all have fantastic careers ahead of them and have such great souls, too. My personal favorite didn’t win, but it doesn’t really matter. This season was fantastic.

5. Quinn says:

Once again middle America votes the boring white bread contestant to win one of these things. Melanie is technically excellent but otherwise boring.

• Sue says:

I read a quote from someone: “America doesn’t ‘get’ fierce.” That sums it up for me. Always go with the predictable, safe, moderate. Sasha had too much fire to win, unfortunately.

• Viv says:

To Quinn & Sue: I much prefered Melanie’s combination of femininity & strength to Sasha’s “fierceness”. Don’t blame America because *YOUR* favorite didn’t win. Sasha was awesome and if she had won, it also would have been deserved, but don’t take away from Melanie winning because you don’t like it. Melanie was amazing from the beginning and she certainly deserved to win.

• Rachel says:

The problem for me was that Sasha was fierce – can’t argue that – but I didn’t see much else from her.

• Liana in San Diego says:

Totally agree… technically great, but so doggone hard around the edges. I never got any softness from her at all. Even in the routine with Kent, where she definitely explored pain and emoted it beautifully, there was no softness, just hard edges. I want a dancer who can project that fierceness AND also show me there is softness ready to shine. Sasha can’t do that.

• Brock says:

I totally agree! She didn’t connect to me as much as I wanted her to…a little too rough edged!

• Delia says:

I thought Melanie was technically good, but I just couldn’t connect with her. I agree with those saying she was a bit boring compared to Sasha’s fire and passion. Just not my sort of person, Melanie. Sasha’s dancing moved me to tears several times. Melanie’s did not. I’ll take fierce and beautiful and fiery any day. Loved Sasha! So elegant, so real.

• Amy says:

Sue, you are 100 percent correct. The show is called “So You Think You Can Dance,” not “so you think you can be charming and adorable for two hours every Wednesday.” What did people want to see from Sasha? She she have baked cupcakes? Called to wish you a happy birthday? The show is about dance. If you want personality and dance, then vote for your favorite C list celeb on ABC. Sasha didn’t connect because she was different. She was tough, perceived as cool and detached, and she’s closer to hipster than sweetheart.

• Jo says:

And Melanie – as well as Marko and Tadd also showed that they could dance too!! You’re a Sasha supported amy, and that is fine. But don’t assume that 47% of 79% of the total vote went to Melanie because she was perceived to be able to bake cupcakes. For many, Melanie was the total package…technically sound and a true performer and enjoyable to watch. That’s not to say Sasha didn’t have equal talent — voters just preferred Melanie. GET OVER THE LOSS!!

• Viv says:

…and don’t forget that the show’s tagline is about “Finding America’s FAVORITE dancer” charming and adorable go a long way in making someone a favorite. Many dancers in the past who have won this show might not be the best dancer of the season, but they were chosen because people wanted to vote for them. I prefered Melanie, Marko and Tadd to Sasha because of their personalities. I thought they were all amazing dancers, Sasha included, but personality wise I found her rather boring and uninteresting.

• ultimate troll says:

I love how since Sasha -only- came in 2nd with -out of four dancers- 32% of the vote Amy feels confident in saying she “didn’t connect because she was different”.

Uh yeah. But your point about the show is about DANCE is cute. Heaven knows, Melanie just got by on personality there.

• KevyB says:

EXACTLY! This isn’t So You Think You Can Have Passion. With that said, she still was far better than everybody else at creating the correct emotion for each dance, something Sasha was not often able to do. Sasha excelled at dances with passion, but all dances aren’t about passion, and she often fell apart when other emotions were required. Just look at her finale dance with Tadd, one of the worst dances of the entire season, due mostly to her not connecting with her partner or the correct emotion.

• Kelly says:

I did not vote for Sasha not because she was “fierce” and I was oh so intimidated by that but because from the very beginning I considered her to have an attitude and not the good dance kind. Did you see how excited she was to make top 20? She then casually acknowledged to her sister that oh ya i’m sorry you didn’t make it but I made it! The whole time in Vegas she was insisting it was just a fun time for her and her sister and no matter what she would support her and be there for her. If she was my sister my damn butt would have been on that ambulance to the hospital I don’t care if I was meeting the President. She was fake. Part of being a dancer is being humble and genuine which Sasha is not Melanie was more deserving and say what you want but in these shows a lot more things factor in for voters than just the talent.

• Carolyn says:

That’s ridiculous. How do explain Joshua and Twitch being first and second in their seasons. Or Sabra winning hers. Or Russel, a crumper winning his. Sasha was a passionate and talented dancer but 47% of those that voted liked Melanie more. Why does have to be about her background or skin color. She’s a great actress, a beautiful dancer and is in no way boring. She’s passionate and fierce in my opinion.

• Jo says:

Agreed Carolyn. Based on previous winners, Quinn’s argument doesn’t hold water. It always amazes me that when someone’s favorite doesn’t win, then part of the argument, when that person is a minority, is, well it must be because of the person’s race. In this case, considering that we had quite the eclectic multi-cultural final four, the fact that Melaine won simply means more of the voting public chose here. And guess what people, some of those voting public –ie: me — are multi-cultural themselves!

• anon says:

Oh, please, stupid comments from both Quinn and Sue. Melanie was hardly a boring white bread contestant but rather a riveting amazing dancer. Must you make everything about race? Thanks to Carolyn for responding with intelligence to your ignorant comments.

• Delia says:

IMO, neither Quinn nor Sue said or implied anything about race. I think they were talking about personality and demeanor, not skin color. White-bread as in safe, moderate, predictable, doing what’s expected, rather than challenging and defying expectations. I agree with them. Sasha and Melanie were both technically superb, but Sasha’s dancing was more dramatic and emotionally stirring. They’re just different personality types and people differ in how they respond to those different personalities. One out of every 3 viewers preferred Sasha over Mel and over the 2 guys.

• Stephanie says:

Exactly. Just was I was about to say about the definition of “white bread.” Does not mean anything about skin color. Thanks for posting this.

(and I was a Sasha fan, BTW, but ok with Melanie — or even Tadd or Marko — taking the win)

• eric says:

I don’t think so. She was the great emoter…she was amazing to watch for more than her dancing. Sasha was great, but Melanie brought depth and layers that added to her technical ability taking her to a completely different level. Watch her solos.

• Paula says:

Anybody who saw Melanie’s solo from two weeks ago and can deny she is fierce is no authority on the word, that’s for sure. The look on Melanie’s face alone, during her pause before the storm, made my blood run cold. It was, bar none, the best solo ever to grace that stage. For that reason, and that reason only, I concede she deserved to win, although Sasha was my personal favorite all along.

• Jenks says:

ITA about Melani’s solo It was light years behond anything I’ve seen before or since Danny Tidwell. Most of the time, the solos are just a bunch of jumping and rolling around on the stage or hair dancing with no real choreography in sight.

• Niix Starkyller says:

Wow, bitter much? She won because she’s white? Do you watch this show much? Don’t diminish Sasha’s remarkable ability and her tremendous effort by sullying it with some cranky, racist crap.

• Iheartdance! says:

I’ve never commented on the web before, but must today… because anyone who would take away anything from any of this season’s fantastic contestants, especially the final four, and ESPECIALLY Melanie as the winner, is just downright mean! I’ve watched all but the first season, am in my 50’s (that hurt!), and wish I was a young dancer in the current climate, where there’s hope to have a career in dance. Melanie has an awe-inspiring talent, which was repeatedly noted by most all of the judges (dancers, choreographers, actors, etc). I was afraid of backlash for her (meaning “no win”), because no one could hold back their praise of her throughout the season. Instead of condemning the winner’s “race”, why not notice how awesome it was to see the melting pot of our country represented by the fabulous final four?? This is one show where I consistently see ALL folks treated fairly, with a shared joy of expressing themselves through dance ~ a clean, decent activity for everyone! I just feel overwhelmingly lucky to be able to watch their journey(s), to see the lives of such deserving young people forever changed (positively) by being on the show. Yes, the producers muck around with stuff, and I don’t always like the comments, but America voted (that includes each of you?), and Melanie won. Please don’t take that away from her with ugly comments. I’ve noticed that the anonymity of web comments emboldens some in a negative way. Ask yourself, “what if she/he was my daughter/son, sister/brother, niece/nephew, friend”? She’s not my daughter, but I’m still proud of her; and all the rest of the contestants as well. Some of the young people on other reality shows ~ many, in my humble opinion ~ could take a lesson from these fine, dedicated, talented youngsters. So why not celebrate the good of this show instead of bashing anyone based on race, physical appearance, costumes (have seen some trashy notes about this subject in particular, even though the show has costumers ~ meaning the dancers maybe don’t pick their costumes!), etc.? It’s not so often anymore that I feel I can truly express my happiness about anything I see on television (yes, I’m feeling my age), but this show inspires me to believe that there’s still opportunity and hope for our young folks. I’d be worried if I had a child who wanted to try out for, and hopefully suceed in getting on, the show… simply because of the mean-spirited mentality that I see so often in the comments section of ANY article I read on the web. How sad that an accomplishment might need to be weighed against the potential danger of damage done to a young person’s fragile ego by exposure to the public, cloaked in anonymity. I’m proud to say I love the show, and the contestants! I may be 52, but my toes still twinkle, and I’ve shed a few tears while losing myself in the moments of Season 8. So, congratulations to all for a “job well done”, and I wish for all of them a life-long love-affair with expression through dance!!

• Teecie says:

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I couldn’t have said it better! I especially like this comment, “Some of the young people on other reality shows ~ many, in my humble opinion ~ could take a lesson from these fine, dedicated, talented youngsters. So why not celebrate the good of this show.”

• Lana says:

@iheartdance, I had to look twice as I thought I must have written this then you said 52 and realized, sadly, that I was 56 so I couldn’t have written it, but I felt every word you wrote and agreed 100% with all that you wrote. I too missed the first season but never since then. I have watched every movie with Astaire and Kelly and anyone of the dancing stars from the beginning of the movies and still consider it my first love over any other entertainment and the show does so much to satisfy my craving. It also lets me know that dance is still awesome with even more different styles and these youngsters are doing their best to keep it alive. It is pure joy to watch the dancers that are on this show every season and I pray that Fox and Nigel will continue with this show for years to come at least I’m thrilled to know there will be a 9th season.

• JAO says:

Well expressed. Speaks for me!

• David says:

Thank you iheartdance! for a voice of reason. Lots of sour grapes around here today, and trashing one dancer to support another or trotting out the tired old conspiracy theories for why their favorite didn’t win. They are all great dancers, this will be a great stepping stone for each of them, and without these judges (Nigel in particular, who helped create the show) there wouldn’t be this great platform for these young dancers all around the world now. I never gave dance a second thought before I started watching this show. Having real experts judging them has taught me so much and helped me appreciate dance as an art form in ways I never would have otherwise — and I’m so grateful for that!

• Quinn says:

I haven’t been here since I posted my comment. Wow. “White Bread” has nothing to do with race. Touchy much? I’m not the one who brought race ito anything, you guys are. “White Bread” means boring and bland. Anyone of any race can be “White Bread.”

I thought Melanie was a technically excellent dancer, one of my favourites right from the start. I gradually lost interest in her because I found her boring and emotionally disconnected. Maybe the difference is that Meanie’s history is a lot of competition dance compared to Sasha’s stage experience. Just my opinion. I’m sure she and Sasha will both do very well going forward.

• Sierra says:

Guys! Nobody was talking about race! Point to ONE comment where somebody said that it was about anybody’s skin color! There aren’t any. Can we get back to talking about dance, please? Geez.

6. ChrissieK says:

Michael Slezak I thank you for leading us thru SYTYCD Season 8…I myself thought it a very strong season with very talented contestants from good families and Cat was amazing. Was delighted that Melanie won it all and her fellow dancers lifted her up on shoulders as the confetti came down. I now have a void in my life but I’ll keep reading whatever it is you are writing about and yep, Another One Bites the Dust was totally smokin’!!!

• ladyhelix says:

..from GOOD FAMILIES”?
      Yes it is re-affirming to see “ALL AMERICAN” families, but I personally appreciate the inclusion of dancers with parents long absent (Legacy), and those that never got any screen time for whatever reason (Mitchell). That these two beautiful dancers exuded such joy and had the same passion for dance – bridges that gap. Not all of us had “good families”, but that wasn’t our fault or our choice. Thankfully it wasn’t part of the selection criteria.

• ladyhelix says:

I think I probably misunderstood your comment above – but while we’re talking about families I’d like to applaud SYTYCD for their restraint. That the show waited until the top 8 or 10 to give us a peek at Legacy & Mitchell’s back-stories was admirable. In a day when reality TV usually takes every bit of personal drama it can – as soon as it possibly can – underscores how SYTYCD is unlike any other reality show on T.V. (Thank you Nigel). And that you never allowed Sasha’s “summer vacation” on Adam’s tour to become part of your conversation – was very classy indeed. It’s about the dancing, not the “guy next door vs guy liner).

• Delia says:

Say what??? I have no idea what you mean by your peculiar reference to Sasha’s “summer vacation”. As one of 4 dancers on Adam Lambert’s highly successful 116-venue International tour last year, Sasha was hardly “on vacation”. She worked extremely hard and the schedule was grueling. Her performances were consistently excellent. That was hard work, not vacation. What are you driving at?

• ladyhelix says:

I have nothing but respect for the work Sasha did on Adam’s tour, and I apologize that my attempt at irony clouded my meaning.

We sat in the 9th row in Chelsea last July and were BLOWN AWAY by
            the dancing. I can’t imagine how they kept anything that electric a secret for the full season. That was my point – and you’re right – my comment was unclear. It was anything BUT a vacation.

Thanks for speaking up.

7. mdaily says:

Regardless of who the winner was, I think the ending was rushed. I was disappointed that Sasha was rushed off stage and not allowed her couple of minutes of say and proper send off like Marko and Tadd were allowed. This was poor directing and planning by the showrunners, IMO. While Sasha was my favorite, I believed that Marko, Melanie and Sasha were all strong dancers. I would have been happy if any of them had won. I was glad for Tadd. He really grew throughout the competition. But how great to see Nick back, and it only reminded me of what a terrible injustice it was to vote him off so early in the competition. That tap dance routine was wonderful. And I wish they had had a replay of the Soldier from Afghanistan routine by NappyTabs, danced by Sasha and Alexander. After the Twitch/Sasha breakfast routine and the Kent/Sasha Wall dance, it was my third favorite.

• Sue says:

I agree with you about Sasha’s being ushered off-stage abruptly. Poor form.

• Holly says:

This is how every competition show is. They celebrate the winner immediately. It’s nothing new.

• Pagey says:

But the real problem is there is not much time to even celebrate the winner! All these reality shows want to wait until the last 2 minutes of the season before they crown the winner. So fans go through months with the contestants and do not even get proper payoff with some time with the winner AND the runner up. It’s ridiculous. Nothing wrong with the coronation being done with 10 minutes left so we get some time to enjoy and see the contestants celebrate.

• JW says:

That’s exactly the point. Its almost better to come in third on these shows than it is to come in second. And the finale on SYTYCD is always rushed…what do you do, ask them to dance a solo in honor of their win?

• Just Cory says:

Oh good, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed how rushed the ending was. I agree it was poor form to not let Sasha have a moment

• ut says:

They both got their video packages aired before the winner was announced just like Tadd and Marko did.

Sasha was led off by producer Jeff but she DID come running back out at the end to join in the confetti celebration.

I do agree the ending was rushed but only because I would have like to have seen maybe a minute more of all the dancers on stage together.
      And maybe Cat in that dress.

• ladyhelix says:

Oh the heels of the Lauren/Haley 15 seconds of awkwardness (top 3 results), I guess I can see why Nigel may have over corrected. .

8. Carolyn says:

I read a few places that if Melanie won this would be the first year that the best dancer was also America’s favorite dancer. And when Melanie won i shouted that the to rafters. But then I thought about it. People argued that in her season Kayla was the best and Danny in his. And as far as technique goes this is true. But being a great dancer is also about connecting with an audience and living your performances. With Danny and Kayla as examples many people found them cocky and cold respectively. Whether they were doesn’t matter because they didn’t connect. What Melanie has that makes her both the “best” and “favorite” dancer is that she is technically astounding as well as likeable and believable. So perhaps she’s not the first “best” dancer to win but rather the first to combine technical superiority and an outstanding performance capability.

• Bee says:

very well said! I completely agree with you.

• jb says:

Word, this!

• Trelani Chapman says:

I completely agree – well said!! I thoroughly enjoyed this season of SYTYCD and that was due to a culmination of great choreography, skill and talent, AND I felt that the contestants were ‘down to earth’ people who were pouring their heart and soul into their dancing out of their love for dance. They were likeable, interesting, and I found myself routing for many of the top 20. I think that many of these people were a credit to their art and I hope to see them in future. They made the show for you SYTYCD. I’m sad that it is over because I was constantly surprised by what they could do. And I too would have been happy if any of the top 4 had won.

• D says:

I never connected with Melanie, except in some of her solos. I just got really bored of the same style of dancing over and over and over again.

• D says:

On the other hand, I REALLY connected with Kayla on the Addiction piece. No matter how many times I watched it, I cried every time.

9. Corizzo says:

I agree with the prison dance. It’s a big “Wha?” And I was waiting to watch Iveta & Nick’s quickstep as well- that’s a fun one.

• Teecie says:

Agree on both counts!

• Lana says:

I loved the “prison” dance, it was well done and it showed how much longing a couple can have to hold and love each other but can not due to the bars, you felt the bottled lust and love and yet it was very tastefully done, it was Ashley and Chris’s best routine and it did deserve a spot in the finale, though I really think Nick and Iveta’s quick step deserved to be on the finale. In fact I thought for sure it would be so I was pretty depressed it wasn’t. However there were soo many great routines this year and not enough time to see them all so there will always be wonderful ones that don’t get the second look. Such is life.

10. Michelle says:

Luvd melanie she so deserved to win!!!

11. Sue says:

Sasha was the best. Strong, athletic, fierce, electric and intense. She has it all. Very sorry she did not win, but I hope this opens many doors for her. She deserves to be a star. And she IS a star to many of us!

• CA says:

Sasha’s not winning in not way made her less of a star. You do yourself and many of Sasha’s fans by assuming people think less of her because she didn’t win. That’s a shame, Sue.

12. lilyx says:

I wanted Sasha, but I’m very happy she got Top2!! I think Sasha had more depth, emotion and soul in her dancing. They were both equally talented, it just comes down to styles and personality.

• Tucker says:

I think Nigel put it best on the difference between the two in a comment to one of TVLine’s esteemed competitors: “[Melanie] is a great performer as well as a stunning technician,” he said. “The edge she has to a certain degree is that she is a passionate dancer from her heart, but she’s also a performer. That means even when she doesn’t like it, doesn’t feel like doing it, she can still perform. Sasha for me, feels it lives and if she isn’t feeling it, it’s harder to bring it all the way up for us.”

• D says:

I would agree with that assessment. I think that is why Sasha had higher highs and lower lows, and it just made her much more interesting and compelling to watch. Melanie was very “professional” by comparison.

13. chistosa says:

I was thrilled that Melanie won as she was my fav from the beginning. I also loved the tap piece but I really thought that Jess outdanced Matt Flynt, the UK winner.

• Lisa says:

It was a great routine, but I thought both Nick & Jess out danced the UK winner.

Happy the top 2 were girls and that Melanie won. Both girls will hvae fantastic careers going forward.

• jb says:

I couldn’t agree more! I thought Jess and Nick outdanced the UK winner, too!

• Shannon says:

I was actually blown away at how amazing Jess was as a tapper!! I wished we would have seen him do more of that during the season!

• Tucker says:

Yeah, personally, I felt he even outdanced Nick, the tapper by trade. Jess’ theatricality shone through and he was stunning. The energy by him and that whole dance blew away everything from Wednesday’s performance finale.

• D says:

Yes, Jess was #1 in that piece.

14. Karen says:

I am happy that Melanie won. Also thank-you for figuring out who changed their hair to blonde. I was going to rewatch today to try and figure it out:}

• Beth says:

It was Alexander who died his hair blonde. I spent the first half of the doors routine trying to figure out who the heck the random blonde guy was, and the second half trying to figure out why alexander would dye his hair such a horrid shade :)

• D says:

I knew it was him and that it was horrible instantaneously. It was like he needed a double process and only got a single process (or something-not a hairdresser here). It was almost orange.

15. Tamara says:

For once, a contstant pushed as a frontrunner from the beginning of a Nigel Lythgoe competition actually lived up to the hype (Lauren Alaina? Not so much). I would have been happy to see either girl win. I slighly favoured Sasha because of her power while dancing. All of the top four were undeniably talented. I’m with you on the prison routine. I love the concept, I just wasn’t wild about the execution. Something about it was far too camp-y and I can’t help but blame Ashley for that.

16. Beate says:

I was rooting for Sasha but didn’t mind that Melanie won, she was the best technical dancer. Yet, it really was poor form to just push Sasha off the stage like that. They should have given her exit a bit justice. Tsk tsk.

• mary c. says:

I thought it was very tasteful and considerate that Kat told Sasha to wait – that “someone” was coming to escort her – with her flowers. I think, when it comes down to the final 2, it can be just too emotional and hard to hide the disappointment felt at not winnning. This gave Sasha a graceful exit and time to compose herself – and they had already shown clips of both girls’ “golden moments” and their initial auditions, etc. for Season 8.
      The think I thought most tasteless was Nigel (and I usually give him the nod at his opinions) – but apologizing over his TOTALLY inappropriate critique of Marco and Thadd’s chances of winning from the night before. He should never have said it to begin with and I think both guys would have preferred for it not to be brought up in front of everyone again. If the apology was sincerely meant for THEM – he should have made it off camera. I couldn’t believe he would say it to begin with – the final night of competition and right before the voting started. Bad form, Mr. Lithgoe.

• D says:

I think the public apology was better-dude at least can admit when he made a mistake. Of course it is poor consolation and he should have never said that in the first place but I still think it was appropriate to apologize publicly.
        As far as final 2, they have improved it by interleaving the montages of the top 2. In the previous years #2 didn’t even get so much as a montage, when #3 and #4 did. That was ridiculous.

• Ruth says:

Totally agree about Nigel’s apology and said almost same thing on another board. To diss those two young men on the final night of performance was inexcusable. I cringed when he apologized!

17. Mike C. says:

Am I the only one who thought the whole show felt like a tribute to Sonya Tayeh? Enough! The fact that a male tapper won UK SYTYCD shows how stale our rendition has gotten (three of last four winners have been contemporary girls). I hope they do a better job of casting next season (assuming it comes back; ratings are way down). We need more Tadds and Nicks and less Rickis (ugh!) and Alexanders…

• Marta says:

I agree. Way too many Contemporary guys and girls this year that all kind of blended together. I was SO bummed when Nick was eliminated early cause he would have been something different and interesting. I figure as long as Contemporary choreographers have the most “land” in SYTYCD territory, they’ll always cast a host of safe, predictable Contemporary dancers. Which is a shame- because the most exciting SYTYCD moments often come when a dancer excels outside their genre. (example: Joshua doing Contemporary, Pasha doing hip hop.)

• MDEP says:

Preface by saying I loved Ricky :) and wasn’t Alexander ballet? If I remember correctly, aside from Alex Wong, he is the only male dancer to be strictly ballet.
      But definitely more variety is needed. I thought many of the hip-hop, and even ballrrom, routines fell flat. Last night I thought, maybe they are not strict enough with the hip-hop portion during vegas week, letting better contemporary dancers though, but do not make the same allowances for hip-hop dancers in other catagories.
      And then they let them all go during the first few rounds on the actual show! (although the public voting for them is not enough to keep them out of the bottom)

so the non-hiphop dancers need to ace everything to make it, obviously dancers do not need to ace hip-hop to make it through that round!

• Volcfom says:

Lauren is a Jazz dancer. And Alexander’s genre is ballet.

18. Bee says:

Marko is a gem. He was gracious, humble and so authentic in his farewell remarks; I’m so glad he made it to top 4. Every time he danced, I felt he was 100% in the moment and the movements just flowed out of him (no matter the style). I loved watching him. I look forward to when he comes back as an All-Star!

• Tucker says:

Agreed. And I’m so glad he got the respect and recognition he deserved from the beginning, especially since so many wanted to say that Melanie was carrying him through into the Top 10. He’s been the best of the guys all season long and easily one of the better, if not best, partners. I was kind of surprised by that, too, as I was left a little tepid by his story during the auditions.

• ut says:

“so many wanted to say that Melanie was carrying him through into the top 10″

You’re the first person I’ve seen express that bit of nonsense.

19. Stacey says:

1) Why was Sasha & Kaitlyn’s Argentine Tango shown via video rather than danced live?

2) Why was the stupid prison dance (Ashley/Chris) chosen to be re-performed over the vulture dance (Jordan/Tadd) or the solider dance (Sasha/Alexander)?

3) How rude was it that Sasha was just whisked away at the end rather than given her moment to speak like the others who didn’t win?

4) One thing I’ve always loved about this show, whether I’m happy with the results or not, is the camaraderie between the contestants…it’s one of the few competition shows where there in genuine good will & compassion for one another & it’s refreshing.

5) I just think that this show is not as good as it used to be with less variety in the types of dances, choreographers, & dancer styles. I mean, of course Melanie won…she’s an AMAZING contemporary dancer & MOST of the dances that she did were in her own style…she wasn’t all that out of her element throughout most of the season & was able to really shine. I just think they should go back to what it used to be & REALLY mix it up more to REALLY find who can take on every style & GROW & connect with the audience.

6) I didn’t really feel Melanie AT ALL…GREAT dancer but I just didn’t care for her & didn’t think she should have won. I know I’m like the only person in America who felt that way but it’s just how I felt. She is SUCH an amazing dancer that she didn’t even really need SYTYCD…she could have been on the show for a few weeks & gotten recognition & an amazing job out of it whereas someone like Tadd could have really used the title to his advantage & really deserved to win because he was the one that grew the most & had such a big personality.

• @Stacey says:

Totally with you on points 4 and 5. I really love that the dancers (usually) seem to genuinely care about each other. It’s happy-making to see, especially because it’s world where camaraderia usually takes a back seat to ego battles. And I really think that the lack of excitement this season fell more on the choreographers than the dancers. The ballroom numbers especially so. I can’t even recall a single ballroom number that I’ve rewatched this season, whereas I can still recall steps and music from the Danny/Lacey samba, the Jeanine/Brad paso doble, the Katee/Joshua paso doble, the Joshua/Chelsie argentine tango. This season just had bland and boring ballroom numbers for me. Hip-hop didn’t do much better. I can only really recall the Sasha/Twitch number which I watched on repeat. The choreographers, even the ones who are usually amazing, were pretty weak this season.

• D says:

i thought the Caitlyn/Pasha tango was amazing. It was my second favorite of the evening last night, after the tap routine.

• Tucker says:

I can’t fully agree with your point #5. I don’t feel that the quality of the show was lacking but I definitely missed the variety of dances and a greater mix of choreographers throughout the season. It was ridiculous that they waited till the last two weeks to introduce some very different styles and brought in previously-unseen-this-season choreographers, especially during a performance finale.

• My answers to 1 - 3 says:

1) They needed time to change the set. I think that came after the doors routine and they needed to be able to breakdown the set.
      2) So that Tadd could rest and perform other dances the judges liked better.
      3)That is the causality of coming in 2nd place. Idol is that way too I think. That’s why they showed both packages at the same time because they knew they wouldn’t be able after the winner was announced. Sucks but at that point most people are thinking about the winner.

• Mindy says:

Re #3, how do you envision this happening? Melanie is named the winner, but they ask her to stand aside while Sasha talks about how it feels not to win? Unfortunately, there’s no graceful way for the runner-up to exit. That’s why they showed both girls’ recaps before the winner was announced.

• McFudge says:

Noticed this last year with Kent. Here, have some flowers and now get out of the way. As for the “what this meant to me” little talk at the end of each eliminated dancer’s send-off, they could do what they did with the final montage: ask the girls to each answer the question before announcing the winner. Simple.

• H says:

1) For some reason I don’t know, Pasha couldn’t make it to the show. I guess he was doing something else. So sad cuz I was sure Iveta and Pasha were going to do their Top 20 ballroom routine again! She and Nick definitely left WAY too early!
      3) In all the past seasons, the runner-up has never said any words. I don’t think they do it either on American Idol. I’m not sure about that though. That’s why they show the Top 2’s video before they announce the results.

20. Betsy says:

My new favorite dance was the tap routine from last night. Those boys were hot hot hot! And reminded me that Nick went home too early, IMO.

• gayle says:

I agree…the tap routine was the best part of the whole show!! I would love to know who choreographed the tap number? Anyone know?

• sk8cynic says:

Here’s the shocker — the tap piece was choreographed not by a professional tap dancer/choreographer, but rather the three tappers themselves: Matt Flint, Jess LeProtto, and Nick Young.

It still galls me that Nick (and Iveta) were axed so early in the competition (along with Nigel’s delusional fabrication that Nick was “only” at tapper as he is cross-trained in Contemporary and Jazz as well, and as for Jess, he only picked up Broadway in the past couple of years – he was trained in Jazz, Tap, and IIRC, Contemporary as well, and before the show, he took some Ballroom classes to be prepared for whatever the show would throw at him.

JMO, but the Final Four Guys (going by dancing ability) should have been Marco, Nick, Jess, and Ricky, but because it’s “America’s FAVORITE Dancer,” Tadd got in there due to the Tween/Young Adult demographic more because they though he was Hot/Cute rather than because he was an awesome dancer.

As for Sasha, she is a great dancer, without a doubt, but from a technical point, she had poor feet (they often looked to be flopping around), and her legs, while miles long, often never looked straight in a lot of moves, but that had more to do with body type than an inability to straighten them). Melanie, OTOH, learned how to make her body type (which isn’t the typical lean, almost too-thin, body type preferred by so many dance aficionados. Her technical prowess, plus her endearing personality, is why she garnered 47% of the vote. Neither she nor Sasha needed any of Nigel’s obnoxious manipulations and machinations of “You’re my favorite — No, You’re my favorite!” BS to get America to vote for them.

• ut says:

Nick went home WAY too early. Phenomenal performer.

21. Tammy says:

I picked Melanie out early and I will admit it, it was her short hair that got me. Besides the fact I rock a short do too, I have a similar body type…. short, athletic, etc. I adored how Sasha moved and honestly I thought she would have gotten more votes because of the way they played up the whole relationship with her sister during auditions and Vegas week. On this kind of show, the more you see a back story, the more people tended to vote for them.

I loved them both actually. I wouldn’t have been upset with either one winning. I didn’t vote so you can’t blame me for Melanie winning but if I had voted, it would have been for her. I wish I could dance like Sasha and I’m not worried about her, there will be choreographers lining up at her front door to work with her.

22. Rachel says:

I was so happy to see Tadd and Lauren dance again last night, without the hat malfunction it was amazing! I probably could have done without the jailhouse, or the tango. I’m assuming they showed replays of a couple of the dances because Pasha and Allison weren’t available.
    I think its time for Nigel and Co. to air another “Top 25 dances ever” show like they did a couple years ago. There has been several brilliant dances that would make the cut.

23. MrsMarsh says:

The best gal won, she has the dance moves and the likeabity. It was a good show to see some of our favorite dances. Some we don’t agree with. Wish they would not wait so long to state the winner so the one coming in second has her monent like the others did.

24. SW says:

I should be used by now to the fact that my favorite never wins. Although Russell was one of my favorites so at least there’s that *sighs*

• Tanya says:

The thing I like about SYTYCD is that it truly doesn’t matter who wins. Anyone who’s great and who made an impact on the audience we end up seeing again either via All Stars, Choreography or guest spots. I’m sure we’ll see all of the top 4 back next year in some capacity.

25. LeslieMR says:

That prison dance was hot and sexy then, and hot and sexy last night. Just boils down to taste. I, too, wondered why we didn’t see the ‘Coming Home’ dance. (Could Sasha not bear to dance with a blond Alexander?) Yup, ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ should’ve been on your list. And, yeah, that tap routine was a wonderful surprise of a dance.

26. aislinn says:

I’m not at all surprised that Melanie won, and I understand that more people feel like they connect with her, given her adorable little beaming demeanor. I don’t agree with those who claim she is the strongest technically, although she’s excellent in her contemporary genre. For me, Sasha is the total package of technical skill, passion, energy, artistry – as Nigel said earlier in the year, she dances from her soul. She doesn’t come across as vulnerable as Melanie does, and I’m sure that worked against her. She was and still is my pick for favorite, having both the technical prowess and the personal style I admire. Overall, though, I was happy with the season, other than Nick getting booted when he did. The tap number last night was outstanding! I’m looking forward to seeing them all on tour.

• Lisa says:

et me begin by saying I am a fan of Sasha and would have been happy for her if she’d won, but…

The difference between Melanie and Sasha more than technical, or soul vs heart, is that Melanie could sell the performance better. There were times with Sasha that you knew she didn’t a) either like the dance style, or b) her partner. When either of those things happened, she never hid it, and couldn’t sell the performance. Melanie’s disco was terrible, but she was selling it, and Sasha clearly wasn’t into the cha cha, and it showed badly.

That is the difference between them, but they are both different and amazing who will have great careers.

27. Ann V. says:

I did the same thing with Alexander. It’s dramatic, I’ll say that at least. Great finale!

28. SMS says:

Great season, and unlike American Idol, the right dancers made it to the top 4. I know Nigel’s comments were annoying throughout the season, but they had little impact on the results. Sasha had an amazing season, but I would have been disappointed if she had won, after the horrendous cha cha from the night before. Melanie’s clunker, the disco number, was bad, but not as bad as the cha cha.

• D says:

Agree about the cha cha, but I think that Nigel’s comments were what saved Ricky the week that Jess went home.

• McFudge says:

I would have put Jess in the final 4 over Tadd. He’s so much fun to watch and was really technically extremely good – and versatile..

29. Kim says:

Melanie was never in the bottom all season long. Does anyone know whether this was the first year that the winner never had to dance for their life?

30. Susan says:

Sorry, but “Another One Bites the Dust” was tepid rather than sizzling, though the hats were all in place this time. Let me watch the vulture piece again- my favorite of the season. I thought for sure it would be there. I hadn’t remembered “Doors” and “Geishas” being so good, but they really were, as well as obviously serving to let everyone dance again.

• @Susan says:

I was completely shocked that the Vulture piece didn’t make it to the most memorable. It was one of the most unique and powerful numbers this season.

• ladyhelix says:

I wondered at the time if they needed an “excuse” to have Lauren there to pass the torch to this years winner,
      but I didn’t see her at the end. The field was SO STRONG this year – I would have love to see more of the others dance.

31. @Kim says:

No, this isn’t the first year that the winner never had to dance for their life. Benji and Joshua also both won the title without ever having landed in the bottom.

32. Rachel says:

Melanie & Marko were my favorite dancers, SO glad one of them won (and I am glad it was Melanie). YAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!

33. Michael says:

Awesome
    New tap number
    Top 10 guys/girls redux
    The two non-finalist numbers (Never would have hoped for a woodpecker repeat – awesome!)

Better Than Expected
    Our finalist and their all-star partners did a nice job keeping up the energy during their marathon of performances

Crappy
    No live repeats with dancers 10-5! It seems these “other” top 10 dancers don’t even need to go on tour. Just call it Melanie & Sasha Live. Jordan, with a number of great dances with finalist Tad didn’t make the cut. Mitchell and Caitlynn had a couple finale ready numbers (including a standing O from judges), but instead we got 6 of 10 live numbers with Melanie and Sasha. I would have loved to see more Ricky, Jess or Clarice. Note: the Caitlynn & Pasha pick was a good one, but TAPED doesn’t count.

• ladyhelix says:

And the Tyce group number? WHY?

• sk8cynic says:

It would have been wonderful to see Caitlynn and Pasha’s ballroom, but there was no way it could happen.

Pasha is currently contracted to be in the UK’s Strictly Come Ballroom, of which this the first competitive show was this week, so he was unable to be in Los Angeles for the finale results show.

It was a bummer, no doubt, because Pasha is easily one of the best and most popular non-winning dancers in SYTYCD history.

34. Karen says:

Melanie was deservingly crowned the winner. But that Marko gets me everytime. Even though, all season long, I never really had one favourite, but several, he kinda won my heart here in the end… That was somehow the hardest elimination for me (though Wadi and Nick come close)

35. Delon says:

This season had way too much contemporary dancers for my taste. I love fast paced dances, so i’m gaga for Latin, hip-hop and tab and i want to see them done well by able genre dancers not by bunch of contempo bores.Here i said it.

• me too says:

at the risk of being pilloried right here, i really HATE contemporary dancing. that said, Melanie is a WAY talented dancer, and as such deserved the win. i just don’t like her style, and think she got rammed down my throat a little more than i would have liked. no, i don’t think there were “better” dancers on the show, i think there were dancers on the show i liked better. my husband and i actually fought about this last night when i told him that i knew she’d win and i wasn’t as happy about it as he would be. her dance style doesn’t speak to me, her dancing bores me, and i’d rather watch just about any other dancer. doesn’t mean she’s not talented, just not my type. that’s why i’m not a judge, i guess: too set in my ways, not open to new stuff. so, way to go, Melanie, i suppose, and Jess forever!

• D says:

I am with you around 95%. I think Melanie had a couple of amazing solos, and I liked the flying leap into Neil’s arms, but other than that MEH MEH MEH.

• cheese please says:

Lol!

You though Melanie’s solos were amazing but all that other dancing, what was that?!! There’s just nothing in that other dancing she did that even resembles her TWO amazing solos.

Yeah sure. Do you even watch the show?

• me too says:

nah, she’s got a BOATLOAD of talent. it’s just that her talent doesn’t move me at all. Mozart had talent out the ___, but if you don’t like classical music, it doesn’t do anything for you. I can appreciate that she is very skilled at contemporary dancing, but i can’t stand it. as for her skills at other types of dancing, yes, she does have them, but not so much more than other people that she left me gasping. i have the right not to be impressed by a talented performer, and i was not.

36. Pamela says:

I believe that all of the people who got into the top 20 were great, but based on the best body techniques I believe Sasha always performed the best no matter who she was teamed with and she was never in the bottom to get kicked off. Don’t get me wrong Melanie started to shine toward the last 3 weeks but should she have won. no and everyone that voted was looking at popularity and not talent.

• Winnie says:

I beg to differ…I think you forgot to watch the finale where Sasha could not pull off a decent dance with either Marko or Tadd so Sasha definitely isn’t the best no matter who she teamed up with. Secondly, you need to rewatch again…Sasha was in the bottom as far as I can remember at least once. Melanie=Never…That tells you something. Sasha is one dimentional..she dances only with intensity. She can’t pull off a sweet and sexy for nothing. That’s my opinion. Glad Melanie won.

• D says:

You are right about Sasha being in the bottom once with Alexander, but I think it is Melanie that is one dimensional and boring.

• Linda says:

Sasha was in the bottom one time with her not-very-good partner. The fact that she basically carried him 4 out of 5 weeks says a lot. Melanie was VERY fortunate in that she was partnered with Marko for the first 5 weeks. I really didn’t think it was fair that they were “assigned” partners and stayed with the same ones. Definitely gave Melanie and Marko an advantage.

• Tucker says:

Well, considering the title is ‘America’s Favorite Dancer’ and not ‘America’s Best Dancer’…
      But, honestly, in this case, Melanie was both. I think just because you didn’t fully connect with her doesn’t mean that she was in any way less talented. I didn’t fully connect with Sasha – she had a wall up that didn’t let us get close even after she bared herself through her dancing – and yet her talent was unmistakable.
      As for technique, Melanie was significantly more polished than Sasha. Sasha’s ability doesn’t shine through technique. Her style is more loose than that. Still a stunning dancing because she makes you feel the dance and that power is intoxicating. But she’s not the most technically proficient.

37. Winnie says:

Yes the right person won but in my heart, the winners are my two favorite guys who worked their tails off to garner any type of commendation since they are up against The Beast and the Grambert favorite…They come from nowhere…not having any type of fan base to push them through. As a matter of fact, Tadd has been in the bottom a few times. But it all started even before that. During the audition rounds, there was so much Drama (which equates to air time) with Sasha and her sister I was now overlooking her true talent because I am sick of Nigel seemingly pushing her down my throat. In the end, I voted for Tadd and Marko not only because they are my favorites but just to take away votes from Sasha. (I always knew Melanie can pull off her own. She is after all from the South)So yeah the best person won….but in my heart…I am proud of Marko and Tadd…

• Lana says:

What is that crack about Melanie being able to pull off her own because she is from the South? What does being from the South have to do with it? Unless you mean Southeners are better judges on dancing, cause you can’t mean it had to do with Sasha being African American! Most of my favorites have been African American, Twitch (he is a sexy beast), Joshua, Willie and Brandon who I felt should have won and so on, but when they dance I don’t notice race just how good they were and how they brought me to tears. And yes I am a Southern Belle, but that doesn’t mean Bigot!!

38. Joyce says:

I’m so happy for Melanie! Congratulations! YAY!

39. MAS says:

The tango was much better than I remembered. Some really fantastic work there.

As with every finale, great numbers weren’t as great the second time around. Melanie is lucky Neil is strong or he would have dropped her for sure. Sasha is fortunate to have her core strength because tWitch was missing with his hand for a split moment to support her before pushing her back up. It just goes to highlight how incredibly hard these dances are to pull off. When they are great, it seems so effortless.

I was hoping for the vulture routine since I had a malfunction the first time around. Guess I am off the search the internet.

I hope next year they have a system that ensures more variety in dance. For example, if you get contemporary in week 1, you can’t get it in week 2 or until you have completed X number of different styles. There should be a way to keep it random, yet control for maximum variety.

Good luck to all the dancers in their future careers!

40. Eric says:

Raised my fist in the air and screamed in joy when Melanie won. Have loved her since Turn to Stone and she was just amazing the whole season. Possibly my fav dancer of any season as her combination of technical expertise, ability to emote and connect with the piece and the chemistry she shared not only with Marko but with all her partners was incredible. So happy that she won by such a large margin and her sobs of joy at the end were truly touching. Not since season 4 with Katie and Joshua have I felt so strongly about a dancer! I love this show, but man am I going to miss Melanie next year as she truly touched my heart

41. Tucker says:

Did they ever give a reason why the finale week wasn’t at the Kodak this season?

42. Fiona says:

I was kinda depressed seeing how big the voting gaps were this season. I loved Marko this season, I kinda felt that if the producers (Nigel) hadn’t pimped up the girls so much to win, the voting difference would have been closer though Melanie still probably wouldve won which is fine with me

43. Stephen says:

Great content, but poorly written article.

44. bethie says:

I appreciate that Nigel apologized to the guys for his dismissive slam Wednesday night but I kind of doubted his sincerity after his comment (in its entirety) was used to close out the final performance recap last night. I’ll take off my cynical hat for a minute…maybe the apology was a last minute decision? Or, putting the hat back on, maybe Uncle Nigel read the negative comments and decided that it was good PR to make nice…way after the fact and since the voting was already closed. Hmmmmmm…

• D says:

It seems like Nigel has some people that read all of these comments. They more often than not address people’s grievances. I like that about him actually.

Now, Nigel, please listen to us and back off all of these contemporary dancers and get some ballroom and tappers in there! And back off the white costumes in the contemp dances, please!

45. Perri says:

I thouhgt Melanie winning was not a surprise and deserve. She won because a couple reason: She was likeable; She wasn’t tested as much as previously contestants in difficult routines; She was great at her genere; she had a gracefulness (which SYTYCD gave her many routines to hightlighted that)that was undeniable.

Shasha was on the same level but did not connect with some of the voters because her deamononr (alot ppl mentioned). More fans connect with the technical side than the passion Sasha show (which SYTYCD gave her alot of routines to highlight that part of her) Througout the seasons the most likeable person with good skills wins rather the one who has the most talent (not to say who has more talent between the two. They both was really good) but its a shame because I watched Sasha on youtube and she is crazy funny and goofy and likeable like a baby sis, but it didn’t show as much on TV and unfortunately its matter for voting

46. algalhi says:

I loved Sasha! Her dances always spoke to me, and her movements were electric. So many of her performances were my favorites, among them soldier returning from Afghanistan, breakfast, and the wall. Can’t wait to see what’s next for her!

47. Brock says:

I really thought they gave Melanie and Sasha too much credit! I’m not dissapointed that Melanie won, but I thought this season left me emptier than most. In past seasons I could really connect to the dancers, and was just satisfied by the final dancers… like Lauren F., Kent, Billy B., Russel, Legacy, Jakob, Ade, Brandon, Janette, Jeanine, Evan, Twitch, etc.. I felt this year, those kind of dancers didn’t even get a chance. Nick the tapper I thought was amazing. Robert. Chris. Ricky. Caitlynn. Ryan. and mostly Jess! I did like Tadd, Marko, and Melanie, but they didn’t connect to me like past seasons have, and though I’m not dissapointed that Melanie won (I love her, she’s an amazing dancer), I felt this season gave up too fast on some contestants, that really could’ve brought some memorable numbers!

48. javeria says:

hi…i think the routine i got you is the most simplest heartwarming dance number i have ever watched…i simply loved malenie and marko

49. Sara says:

Mealnie had the season catered to her so obviously she won.

I’m a fan of her dancing but she only got 3 routines that I would consider completely out of her genre all season.

50. cmp says:

First and foremost, that tap piece was the best piece of the night for me and possibly even the season. That’s just my personal taste though. All three of those guys blew me away and I think it would be great to see somebody pick them up for Vegas-style show. I’d pay to see them. The Finale was great. Much better then Wednesday night. SO glad Nigel apologized. I couldn’t believe he said that in the first place. He’s just so friggin’ arrogant sometimes. Although Sasha and Jess were my two favorite dancers, Melanie deserved to win. She was so well-rounded and excelled in every routine except that stinker of a disco piece which I don’t blame her for. I think all of these kids are tremendous talents and hope they all find success as professional dancers.