MTV Axes RJ Berger In Wake of Soft Numbers

Despite opening its second season strongly this past March, The Hard Times of R.J. Berger are now over.

MTV has canceled the high school-set series, which saw its Season 2 opener audience of 3.1 million total viewers shrink to less than a mil come its May finale, per The Hollywood Reporter.

Among the cabler’s other scripted fare (Jersey Shore not included), Skins was snuffed back in June, Teen Wolf quickly earned a Season 2 pick-up, and Awkward is off to a solid start.

1. Taylor says:

Aww the show was starting to gain some depth. It was a guilty pleasure to watch, but I’m sad to see it go. Guess they want more pregnant teenagers and embarassing Americans :/

2. Jenny says:

Never even watched or heard much about this show, but if it was posting those numbers a cancellation was called for. MTV has two great series in Awkward and Teen Wolf that have the potential to turn around a network more known for crappy reality shows.

3. Samantha says:

I’m a 22 year old female and I’m not ashamed to say I like Awkward. It’s not the best but it’s really entertaining!

4. Sivat says:

I tried out this series when it first started, but it was just too stupid. I like Teen Wolf and Awkward.

5. Tee says:

Never saw it. I just hope Awkward sticks around!

6. Patrick Yates says:

The season was up and down, but it was getting better. I think the numbers were misleading. MTV didn’t get a breakout star, and the show wasn’t buzzworthy out of the gate, so they were looking to euthanize it. The first few eps started 2-3 minutes after the DVR had them scheduled to star, so there was a lot of run over from the preceding show (Jersey Shore?). In other words, 3.1 Million folks weren’t really watching.

7. G says:

Awkward is really cool and Teen Wolf is stupid, but yet I watch it! Its compelling. But didn’t watch this series. I hope Awkward and Teen Wolf go on for a few more years!

8. luke says:

I’m so pissed i’m gonna miss a good coming out story of Max Owens, that gay reveal was the best

9. david says:

I watched RJ Burger a few times. It was not that good of a show. But, i really like Teen Wolf and Awkward as well. I am not to surprised about the show not coming back the numbers for season two fell way below a million into the 7 and 800.000.

10. keith says:

I liked RJ Berger. I was a fun show. I also like Teen Wolf and Awkward. Hope they stick around for a while. Those are the only shows I watch on MTV.

11. Katie says:

I was one of the viewers that quit watching this year. I lost interest when RJ and Jenny broke up and the parents storyline was pretty dumb. Not surprised it was cancelled. It’s sad because the first season was great!

12. Kelian says:

RJ Berger was a much better show than Awkward will ever be. It really is a pain to see good shows go and the bad ones stay. I will miss you RJ. RIP

13. James says:

They shouldn’t of canceled “The Hard Times of RJ Berger”, it was one of the shows that I would actually watch on MTV, the rest of the shows MTV air are crap reality TV shows like Jersey Shore.

14. Kevin says:

MTV gets rid of The Hard Times of RJ Berger and keeps the crappy shows like Teen Mom Teen Wolf and Awkward ARE U KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! RJ Berger was one the funnist shows on MTV! MTV IS STUPID!!!!!!!!

15. Edward says:

STOP SPAMMING the comments!!