USA's Suits Scores Second Season

The characters of freshman legal drama Suits are welcome for a second season at USA Network. TVLine’s sister site Deadline broke the news that the series has received a 16-episode pickup on the strength of delivering USA’s third-best freshman season of an original series in all key ratings categories.

Suits centers on a superstar Manhattan lawyer (Gabriel Macht) who hires a college dropout (Patrick J. Adams) to help him maintain his rep as one of the best closers in the business, but keeps his protege’s lack of legal credentials a secret from his employers.

In an interview with TVLine’s Matt Webb Mitovich last month, USA co-president Jeff Wachtel noted Suits was “performing above expectations” despite the fact that it represented “a staged risk, an incremental risk” for the network. Wachtel’s counterpart Chris McCumber explained that, “With Suits, you’ve got two characters who frankly you wouldn’t have seen on USA four or five years ago. One is a closer lawyer who’s not all that likeable at first, and the other guy’s been busted for selling pot. We push out against the brand while making sure you’re not alienating the base but growing it.”

Suits‘ Season 1 finale is scheduled to air Sept. 8.

1. Sam says:

So basically McCumber is saying is that the USA network has moved out of the 80s into the early 90s. God forbid they take a risk by having a not-excessively-likable lead character. Only on USA would a formulaic lawyer drama be considered a “risk.”

2. Karen says:

I have been waiting to hear that Suits has been renewed. Woo! Hoo! So glad…love this show!!

3. Jason says:

I hope this encourages USA to take more “risks”. I’m starting to get a little burned out on their other blue sky programming, such as Burn Notice and Royal Pains. Suits ended up being my favorite summer show this year. I look forward to seeing where they go with this.

• Rich says:

Suits definitely won the summer for me, too.

The characters are solid and the feel of the show stands out from the rest of USA’s lineup.

• tvfan says:

If this is risky, then USA should be looking for risky all the time. This is a legal drama that I love watching. Usually I end up hating legal shows (e.g. Franklin and something). The Suits characters are great and I look forward to each episode.

4. Nicole says:

I LOVE this show!! I absolutely love Harvey’s cockiness and arrogance and just essence. Mike is definitely a great character too. Genius but still soft with a heart of gold. The leads have good chemistry and I truly enjoy watching them interact. Plus Donna and her acting skills…haha TY USA for giving us another awesome series!

5. t.t says:

this is great but please don’t tell me we have to wait till next summer?!

6. Emma says:

Love this show!! awesome news!!

7. MystryGAB says:

This is great. I do like this show.

8. MGL says:

Very good news. Love the show! The relationships between the characters is great. And, the unlikeable lead, is very cute!

9. Erin says:

This is the best news of the day. I have been waiting for a renewal. This has been one of my fav shows this summer. :)

10. Justin says:

Great news for a great show!

11. chase says:

Yay! Best new show this summer IMO. Great storyline and chemistry between all the actors. Love it! :) Just get rid of Trevor for good pls. Nice job USA network!

12. Chmarin says:

First watchable USA show since Monk.

13. opus says:

FANTASTIC news. SUITS is absolutely my favorite show this summer. Great leads as well as supporting cast. Love this show!!!

14. Kelly says:

Love this show. I even have the hubby watching it with me.

15. Templar says:

Kudos to Suits and USA. One more reason to send the big 3 networks to Assisted Living.

16. Mel says:

Yessss! I love everything about this show. <3

17. Elizabeth says:

Yes! I love this show. And I love me some Gabriel Macht.

18. peb says:

Suits is excellent, and the cast is developing their characters and chemistry very nicely. Suits joins White Collar, Mad Men, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, and even Pretty Little Liars…as shows that are equal to, if not better than the best shows on the regular networks (with the exception of The Good Wife). During the summer these original scripted shows are about the only TV we watch, and we very much appreciate the cable networks developing quality shows like these.

19. DL says:

I find Adams’s “Mike” to be enjoyable enough to watch, but really, what keeps me watching is Macht’s electric performance as “Harvey.” By a mile, Harvey is the reason I watch the show, with Rick Hoffman’s “Louis” in second, and Mike a distant third.

20. Bella says:

I wish SyFy would take notes. USA knows how to develop and support original series. I really hadn’t been planned on watching this series because as a lawyer myself, I usually hate legal shows. However, I always watch Burn Notice and happened to catch part of a Suits episode before I got the chance to change the channel and was hooked. So now I’m a regular viewer. As if I don’t watch too much t.v. as it is. Sigh. Anyway, I love the show and am glad they’ve renewed it for a second season. I just have to find the pilot somewhere so I can see how all this started.

• filmex says:

I wish FX would take notes. If “Terriers” had been on USA, it would still be on the air. They would have insisted on a more understandable name for the series, and they certainly know how to promote their shows.

• susanh says:

Bella: I caught the pilot again on U-Tube. You really need to see it to fill in the pieces of the story line.

So happy Suits is renewed. Love this show. It is fun, original, clever, and makes me smile. Bravo to USA Network.

21. Sparky says:

No surprise that they were finally picked up for another season but I’m delighted that it’s now confirmed. Absolutely love the show and the fact that they got 16 episodes. So does that mean that 10 episodes air during the summer and the other 6 in the fall or winter – apart from White Collar I don’t really pay attention to the other USA shows… Whatever it is delighted for the cast and crew – Suits is my new favorite show by a mile!!!

22. Ashley says:

Cool! I started watching this with absolutely no expectations and now it’s one of my favorite shows. The chemistry between the two leads is amazing, Sarah Rafferty’s Donna is always a hoot, and Gina Torres is fantastic. I’m already looking forward to season 2. Will we have to wait until summer 2012 to see it?

23. sladewilson says:

Suits renewed – YES!!! Okay, at least one piece of good news. Now if only SyFy reverses it’s decision to cancel Eureka and I’ll be a happy camper…

24. topoopon says:

Suits is the first USA show I’ve noticed use real profanity.

25. Kasper says:

By far the best show on USA right now. It’s great to see USA taking more risks – Some of their happy good times shows do tend to get on your nerves every now and then. Not to say that I don’t like those, but every once in awhile I end up rolling my eyes at how the world apparently runs in Royal Pains and Burn Notice. The only bad show on USA – that I’ve tried to watch – is Covert Affairs. All in all their track record of good shows is impressive compared to most other networks. I sure as hell heck prefer a medical drama like Royal Pains as opposed to something nausiating like Grey’s Anatomy.

26. karenb says:

Mike and Donna are the best parts of this show! So talented!

27. kerry says:

The best part of this show is of course Harvey but close behind are Mike and Rachel. Louis is great but i love to hate him. Great call renewing this show

28. Lorie says:

Woo!! You just made my day. SUITS is my new favorite summer show. Great cast, great chemistry b/w Harvey & Mike, great scripts.
    I have recommended it to all of my friends. My major crush on Gabriel Macht can continue.

29. Jamie says:

Awesome news! Love this show! Thank you USA Network!!!

30. Cup of Joe says:

Best line ever:

Donna (Harvey Spectre’s secretary): Excuse me Mr. Zorkin, you are five minutes late. Is there a reason why I should let you in?

Mike: I’m just trying to ditch the cops, okay? I don’t really care if you let me in or not.

*Donna, amazed by what Mike said, winks at Harvey on the other room, implying “We’ve found him!”*

GOLD!

31. jose aguilar says:

The best part in this show is the relationship between Mike and Harvey. How they are both learning from each other. You can see as the series progresses how Mike is finally tearing down all of the walls that Harvey has built to protect himself. Donna is excellent. I hope they bring Tom Lipinski back. I like the fact that Harvey just dislikes him so much and yet Mike wont let him go.

32. Caliesha says:

I love the SUITS. The show is so refreshing! Characters are real they all possess attributes and flaws (i.e., in real life people are multi-dimensiona….I can love you, but not like some of beliefs/attitudes or actions). I find the show does imitate life.
    The show is believable, actors/actresses are excellent the writing on the show is solid. USA keep up the good WORK! I hate to miss and episode.

33. Danny says:

Best show on tv by far. How was the USA taking risks? Harvey and mikes relationship is the best and so is their relationships with Louis. They deserve as many seasons possible. I just hate 1 thing about the show ;when I watched the finale a commercial came up for season 2 and it said it will come out NEXT summer!!! I can’t wait a year BUT now I
    Hearing rumors that it will come out spring of 2012 what is it??