USA's Suits Scores Second Season

The characters of freshman legal drama Suits are welcome for a second season at USA Network. TVLine’s sister site Deadline broke the news that the series has received a 16-episode pickup on the strength of delivering USA’s third-best freshman season of an original series in all key ratings categories.

Suits centers on a superstar Manhattan lawyer (Gabriel Macht) who hires a college dropout (Patrick J. Adams) to help him maintain his rep as one of the best closers in the business, but keeps his protege’s lack of legal credentials a secret from his employers.

In an interview with TVLine’s Matt Webb Mitovich last month, USA co-president Jeff Wachtel noted Suits was “performing above expectations” despite the fact that it represented “a staged risk, an incremental risk” for the network. Wachtel’s counterpart Chris McCumber explained that, “With Suits, you’ve got two characters who frankly you wouldn’t have seen on USA four or five years ago. One is a closer lawyer who’s not all that likeable at first, and the other guy’s been busted for selling pot. We push out against the brand while making sure you’re not alienating the base but growing it.”

Suits‘ Season 1 finale is scheduled to air Sept. 8.

Comments (43)

• So basically McCumber is saying is that the USA network has moved out of the 80s into the early 90s. God forbid they take a risk by having a not-excessively-likable lead character. Only on USA would a formulaic lawyer drama be considered a “risk.”

Comment by Sam – August 11, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go watch your Lifetime Movies Network. Ugh.

Comment by lauren – August 11, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, Lauren. What USA is doing for all their shows is definitely working, for the 21st century, Sam. So stop hating and start appreciating.

Comment by Justin – August 11, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never have actually seen the series, have you, Sammy.

Comment by filmex – August 11, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waiting to hear that Suits has been renewed. Woo! Hoo! So glad…love this show!!

Comment by Karen – August 11, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i do agree! do u know the starting time of the 2nd season?

Comment by eddrick – September 18, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this encourages USA to take more “risks”. I’m starting to get a little burned out on their other blue sky programming, such as Burn Notice and Royal Pains. Suits ended up being my favorite summer show this year. I look forward to seeing where they go with this.

Comment by Jason – August 11, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Suits definitely won the summer for me, too.

The characters are solid and the feel of the show stands out from the rest of USA’s lineup.

Comment by Rich – August 11, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this is risky, then USA should be looking for risky all the time. This is a legal drama that I love watching. Usually I end up hating legal shows (e.g. Franklin and something). The Suits characters are great and I look forward to each episode.

Comment by tvfan – August 12, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show!! I absolutely love Harvey’s cockiness and arrogance and just essence. Mike is definitely a great character too. Genius but still soft with a heart of gold. The leads have good chemistry and I truly enjoy watching them interact. Plus Donna and her acting skills…haha TY USA for giving us another awesome series!

Comment by Nicole – August 11, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is great but please don’t tell me we have to wait till next summer?!

Comment by t.t – August 11, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!! awesome news!!

Comment by Emma – August 11, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great. I do like this show.

Comment by MystryGAB – August 11, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good news. Love the show! The relationships between the characters is great. And, the unlikeable lead, is very cute!

Comment by MGL – August 11, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news of the day. I have been waiting for a renewal. This has been one of my fav shows this summer. :)

Comment by Erin – August 11, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for a great show!

Comment by Justin – August 11, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Best new show this summer IMO. Great storyline and chemistry between all the actors. Love it! :) Just get rid of Trevor for good pls. Nice job USA network!

Comment by chase – August 11, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First watchable USA show since Monk.

Comment by Chmarin – August 11, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FANTASTIC news. SUITS is absolutely my favorite show this summer. Great leads as well as supporting cast. Love this show!!!

Comment by opus – August 11, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show. I even have the hubby watching it with me.

Comment by Kelly – August 11, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kudos to Suits and USA. One more reason to send the big 3 networks to Assisted Living.

Comment by Templar – August 11, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessss! I love everything about this show. <3

Comment by Mel – August 11, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I love this show. And I love me some Gabriel Macht.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 11, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits is excellent, and the cast is developing their characters and chemistry very nicely. Suits joins White Collar, Mad Men, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, and even Pretty Little Liars…as shows that are equal to, if not better than the best shows on the regular networks (with the exception of The Good Wife). During the summer these original scripted shows are about the only TV we watch, and we very much appreciate the cable networks developing quality shows like these.

Comment by peb – August 11, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Adams’s “Mike” to be enjoyable enough to watch, but really, what keeps me watching is Macht’s electric performance as “Harvey.” By a mile, Harvey is the reason I watch the show, with Rick Hoffman’s “Louis” in second, and Mike a distant third.

Comment by DL – August 11, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish SyFy would take notes. USA knows how to develop and support original series. I really hadn’t been planned on watching this series because as a lawyer myself, I usually hate legal shows. However, I always watch Burn Notice and happened to catch part of a Suits episode before I got the chance to change the channel and was hooked. So now I’m a regular viewer. As if I don’t watch too much t.v. as it is. Sigh. Anyway, I love the show and am glad they’ve renewed it for a second season. I just have to find the pilot somewhere so I can see how all this started.

Comment by Bella – August 11, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish FX would take notes. If “Terriers” had been on USA, it would still be on the air. They would have insisted on a more understandable name for the series, and they certainly know how to promote their shows.

Comment by filmex – August 11, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t agree with you more filmex. Terriers would still be going strong. It’s a damn shame.

Comment by Chuck – August 11, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bella: I caught the pilot again on U-Tube. You really need to see it to fill in the pieces of the story line.

So happy Suits is renewed. Love this show. It is fun, original, clever, and makes me smile. Bravo to USA Network.

Comment by susanh – August 12, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise that they were finally picked up for another season but I’m delighted that it’s now confirmed. Absolutely love the show and the fact that they got 16 episodes. So does that mean that 10 episodes air during the summer and the other 6 in the fall or winter – apart from White Collar I don’t really pay attention to the other USA shows… Whatever it is delighted for the cast and crew – Suits is my new favorite show by a mile!!!

Comment by Sparky – August 11, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool! I started watching this with absolutely no expectations and now it’s one of my favorite shows. The chemistry between the two leads is amazing, Sarah Rafferty’s Donna is always a hoot, and Gina Torres is fantastic. I’m already looking forward to season 2. Will we have to wait until summer 2012 to see it?

Comment by Ashley – August 11, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits renewed – YES!!! Okay, at least one piece of good news. Now if only SyFy reverses it’s decision to cancel Eureka and I’ll be a happy camper…

Comment by sladewilson – August 11, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits is the first USA show I’ve noticed use real profanity.

Comment by topoopon – August 11, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By far the best show on USA right now. It’s great to see USA taking more risks – Some of their happy good times shows do tend to get on your nerves every now and then. Not to say that I don’t like those, but every once in awhile I end up rolling my eyes at how the world apparently runs in Royal Pains and Burn Notice. The only bad show on USA – that I’ve tried to watch – is Covert Affairs. All in all their track record of good shows is impressive compared to most other networks. I sure as hell heck prefer a medical drama like Royal Pains as opposed to something nausiating like Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Kasper – August 11, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike and Donna are the best parts of this show! So talented!

Comment by karenb – August 11, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best part of this show is of course Harvey but close behind are Mike and Rachel. Louis is great but i love to hate him. Great call renewing this show

Comment by kerry – August 11, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo!! You just made my day. SUITS is my new favorite summer show. Great cast, great chemistry b/w Harvey & Mike, great scripts.
    I have recommended it to all of my friends. My major crush on Gabriel Macht can continue.

Comment by Lorie – August 11, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Love this show! Thank you USA Network!!!

Comment by Jamie – August 11, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news! The show completely deserves it.

Recap/Review:

Comment by TDSE – August 11, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best line ever:

Donna (Harvey Spectre’s secretary): Excuse me Mr. Zorkin, you are five minutes late. Is there a reason why I should let you in?

Mike: I’m just trying to ditch the cops, okay? I don’t really care if you let me in or not.

*Donna, amazed by what Mike said, winks at Harvey on the other room, implying “We’ve found him!”*

GOLD!

Comment by Cup of Joe – August 11, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best part in this show is the relationship between Mike and Harvey. How they are both learning from each other. You can see as the series progresses how Mike is finally tearing down all of the walls that Harvey has built to protect himself. Donna is excellent. I hope they bring Tom Lipinski back. I like the fact that Harvey just dislikes him so much and yet Mike wont let him go.

Comment by jose aguilar – August 13, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the SUITS. The show is so refreshing! Characters are real they all possess attributes and flaws (i.e., in real life people are multi-dimensiona….I can love you, but not like some of beliefs/attitudes or actions). I find the show does imitate life.
    The show is believable, actors/actresses are excellent the writing on the show is solid. USA keep up the good WORK! I hate to miss and episode.

Comment by Caliesha – September 3, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best show on tv by far. How was the USA taking risks? Harvey and mikes relationship is the best and so is their relationships with Louis. They deserve as many seasons possible. I just hate 1 thing about the show ;when I watched the finale a commercial came up for season 2 and it said it will come out NEXT summer!!! I can’t wait a year BUT now I
    Hearing rumors that it will come out spring of 2012 what is it??

Comment by Danny – October 22, 2011 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post