USA Network Sets In Plain Sight End Date, Season 5 the Show's Last

In Plain Sight will vanish after one more season.

USA Network has announced that the upcoming eight-episode fifth season of the Mary McCormack-fronted drama will be the show’s last.

“We’ve built a contract with the audience and want to give them a sense of closure,” USA Network co-president Jeff Wachtel told Variety, which first reported the news.

Earlier today, USA renewed freshman drama Suits for a second season.

Thoughts? Eulogies? Tirades? Any/all will be accepted in the comments section.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals, Scoop

1. laylagalise says:

Only eight more episodes! That’s not a lot of time for Mary and Marshall to get together… especially since there’s a baby in the picture now.

• Not a Marshall & Mary together fan says:

Are you twelve? Why would you want Mary and Marshall to be together? Do you hate Marshall? I like Marshall, and I can tolerate Mary, but Mary being in a relationship with Marshall will be disaster for poor Marshall. Please, writers, don’t let them end up together as a couple. Any smart, mature adult can see that.

2. LH says:

I like Marshall but Lynn you got me with that albino praying mantis comment. And socigal you’re right Brandi and jinx have had one to many surgeries and they look freaky.Brandi reminds me of a blonde haired Grinch/ thundercat. I’m 26 and she can’t be much older than me. I don’t get why she thought she need plastic surgery on her face.

3. Judy says:

I think its great the show is ending. I watch it for Marshall and Stan and in hopes that Mary, her ditzy sister and Mom would be killed off and give Marshall a serious crime spin off, private eye or something where he is a little rugged. I’m glad to see the others go!

4. Maria says:

So sad. Love Mary, Marshall and the rest of the characters. Maybe the powers that be can be persuaded to change their minds. These shows are what makes USA so watchable. I think they’re making a huge mistake. And if it’s true that USA is trying to make room for reality type shows I say “see ya!” that’s the last thing anyone needs.

5. Roseanna Ridgwsy says:

This is a dumb move USA. I will watch the last season and then off to TNT I go!

6. Lisa says:

You just screwed over your audience and are going to lose a lot of viewership. The only thing saving your network is Bruce Campbell.

7. Lisa says:

You’d have to pay me a lot to watch Suits.

8. Lisa says:

You’d also have to pay me to watch Necessary Roughness. Not going to happen.

9. Buzz in Solvang says:

Hate to see it go. Another 4 or 5 seasons would have been fine with me. If they can drag out L&O and SUV and NCIS, then this could have gone a while longer.

10. wendylee says:

As usual, I love a show, it has to be cancelled, at least I got several good seasons. Just look at what I watch, don’t get involved in it since it will be cancelled. :(

11. Dave says:

The show was great in the first two to three seasons, but unfortunately has gone downhill after that. Once they dumped the original producers the plots seemed forced and the actors looked like they no longer got along with each other in real life. Look back to the beginning vs. last season… why are there so many scenes with the actors alone, or on the phone with each other?

It would have been nice to have five or six great seasons like the beginning… Now it’s on my DVR, but sometimes I even forget to watch.

12. LILL says:

YOU ALL DO KNOW IT’S JUST A TV SHOW RIGHT? BUT MARY WILL RIDE OFF INTO THE SUN SET WITH THE MILITARY GUY FROM EPISODE 61 PROVO (?). THE SEASON HAS BEEN LEANING TOWARDS MARY KEEPING THE BABY. MAYBE. THE SHAMAN, THE MAFIA BIMBO WHO WAS PREGNANT…

13. Jacki says:

I love this show and will miss it. I can understand why this will be the last season – it will go out strong and be remembered as one of USA’s best!!!! I am sure whatever ending will be very intense. PLEASE let Mary & Marshall end up together. Other possible endings would be disappointing and anti climax, not to mention a bit jaded.

14. gail says:

I am really upset about the cancellation of a very entertaing show. Why are they cancelling the show? From what I can see, the ratings were always good. The scripts were always very “smart” and entertaining. I liked the chemistry between the 2 main characters. Always very smart and edgy. Sorry to lose it..

15. D.C. says:

I am SO SAD they think the show is ready to leave on a high note! I see so many more shows & success left still. I don’ think it has gotten tired, stale or any other usual malady of a series!

16. Jim says:

This is silly…USA makes great programs, but to end this show after 61 episodes? Especially since other shows (on the network) have survived much longer.A typical big network show has a 22 episode season, are they really so “story starved” that they could not sustain this program 7 (as they are shortened seasons) years.It used to be a program needed 100 episodes to be considered successful.What gives.If the star wants to stay home and be a mother, that I would understand, but atleast announce its end that way.Loyal fans have been shafted by its producer turmoil over the last couple years….

17. moo says:

Could USA be replacing In plain sight with Eureka? Would LOVE that to happen.

18. Ann craige says:

I’d like to see Steven Weber again. He’d be good fir Mary (if she needs to end up with a guy).

19. Xela Yrag says:

This makes me sad, but Marshall has been in love with Mary from the beginning. Why would it be so bad if they end up together? And what is this “shipper” word? Where did that come from? Makes no sense. But when the writers use love for a partner throughout the show, the partners should end up together when the show ends. That is the pattern of the show. That makes sense.

20. Robert says:

I hate it when someone says something needs to end on a high note! When have you ever seen a sports team end its season in the middle of a winning streak? When’s the last time you’ve seen someone quit a job while they are making plenty of money? What artist stops producing music when their fan base is at its best? Nobody in their right mind!! Why would it make sense for a TV show to end while it is still hot?

It is a great, intelligent show with a great cast. It is shows like this that have me watching the USA network. They remind me of a young FOX network – when no one knew who they were. Missteps like this won’t help it grow though.

I think this is a mistake and I for one am sorry to see it go!

21. Joy says:

I love this show and all the characters in it. I hate to see it go no matter what. Was it cancelled by the network? Why…………..surely it was popular. I will be very sad to see it end.

22. smcjmc says:

OK, I must not have been paying attention… I am sad too! It is a quirky show with a balance of humor (hey, she says things lots of us are thinking but don’t say out loud – kind of freeing) and drama that saves it from being fluff. The baby complicates things, but then what in life is not complicated? I learned something about witness protection and I liked the cast, so I will miss the show.

23. I love this show and can’t figure out why-in-the-world the network is cancelling such a popular show! I love all the characters and I especially miss Raphael (I want him and Mary together) and Todd Williams! I also learned something about witness protection which is one of the things that makes it different from other cops and robbers shows. I’m sure I’lll survive without Mary and Marshall end my life every week, but I don’t want to!!!!!!!!

24. CINDY says:

WHY??? GREAT SHOW, COME ON LET’S NOT MAKE IT THE FINAL SEASON! NOT MUCH GOOD ON TV, THIS IS ONE OF THE GOOD SHOWS!

25. Sonya says:

If Brennan and booth can do it on Bones so can Mary n Marshall !

26. sue says:

I lov ips and the closer n hate to c em go…usa really don’t hav any good shows left. But I do lov suits, fairly legal n nesssary roughness n common law looks lik its gonna b good

27. mamareap says:

I usually do not pay much attention to tv – with the exception of Monk (thanks for ending that), Psych, and In Plain Sight! Saddened that great writing, sardonic wit, and superb acting are ending! Guess I will watch even less TV now.

28. gideodog says:

USA could at least replace the show with something worth watching. Psych is the last thing worthwhile they have to offer. The lineup they have completely sucks-Bring back Monk!

29. You recognize therefore considerably in the case of this matter, made me in my view consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t involved until it’s something to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. At all times maintain it up!

30. Justsaying... says:

Really liked this show! For one thing, it wasn’t one of those low budget shows without proper lighting. Hate dark screens. What do you have against good writing and great actors? Too good for USA, I guess. Also, hate those shows with corpses at the morgue and lots of guts and gore. What do we have to do? Write you a note each week we watch a show or are we allowed to tape them and watch them on our schedule and then sent it. Or does it not count if you don’t watch it on the same day? Morons!

31. Kathy says:

Sad there wasn’t more, I enjoyed every episode!