USA Network Sets In Plain Sight End Date, Season 5 the Show's Last

In Plain Sight will vanish after one more season.

USA Network has announced that the upcoming eight-episode fifth season of the Mary McCormack-fronted drama will be the show’s last.

“We’ve built a contract with the audience and want to give them a sense of closure,” USA Network co-president Jeff Wachtel told Variety, which first reported the news.

Earlier today, USA renewed freshman drama Suits for a second season.

Thoughts? Eulogies? Tirades? Any/all will be accepted in the comments section.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals, Scoop

1. xav says:

I’m both sad and happy about this. I love this show and I don’t want it to end, but I also like it when shows end after 4 or 5 seasons before it gets ridiculously contrived and they can go out on top.

2. Glad we’re getting finale episodes but I am totally lost – when they picked it up last season it was 4 two seasons, did that magically change?

• Lucas says:

nope. Last year, after season 3, they picked up it up for more seasons — 4 and 5. All they are saying now is that there won’t be a season 6.

3. Jules says:

Um, the next season was already renewed last year when the show was renewed for two more seasons, but really, USA, you’re giving loyal viewers a shortened season, too! I’m sad! :( Great show.

4. joe jackson says:

It was renewed for 2 seasons last year. they are not giving anything other that what the committed to last year

5. Robert Marmorstein says:

I look forward to an interesting Finale but hope they don’t go some “Shipper”(UGH) route and fix her up with Marshall. Fortunately I live in New Jersey, so there is no shortage of Cranky White Women with a Bug up her ARSE for me!

• Susie says:

I actually would LOVE if they fixed her up with Marshall, there’s so much chemistry between them and you could see where his thoughts were in the finale when he put himself in danger for her rather then his girlfriend.

• IPS fan says:

So Susie, you’re one of the shippers that people have been grousing about. What chemistry? Mary is Marshall’s partner. He cares about her. That doesn’t mean that he likes her in that way. He loves Abby. He cares about Mary. Stop this shipper behaviour of always wanting two lead stars together. Grow up and be more mature than that. Not always do writers have to put lead stars together because people like you can’t accept a show for what it is, a law/action show, and always wanting to put some romantic spin to everything. MARY AND MARSHALL HAVE NO ROMANTIC CHEMISTRY AND ARE NOT GOOD TOGETHER AS A COUPLE. Get over it.

• Alex says:

I’m quite tired of relationships being portrayed between partners almost as a rule in television. It seems you have to prepare for the inevitable will they/won’t they dynamic before shows even start. That being said, I think your post is pretty immature. I may have an opinion, and you may also, but neither one of us has the business of telling someone else how to enjoy the show or how to view its characters and their interactions. “Growing up” and sorely poking someone’s maturity really has no relevance to a discussion regarding the mechanics of a series.

People are free to view it how they wish, and if someone is for two characters finding each other or sees some type of non-platonic dynamic (in this case with Marshall and Mary), fine, that viewpoint is valid too; all of them are. Healthy debate is all part of the fun and engagement of watching and discussing television, but ultimately those people discussing a particular show can be civil to one another and their enjoyment of a shared hobby.

• SR says:

If you’ve watched the show at all, you know that Marshall has been in love with Mary forever. He told her as much when she got engaged to Raph. At the end of last season he put it all out on the table for her again. Mary is the one afraid of her feelings and afraid she’s not good enough for Marshall. The writers chose to put these two together. If you’ve read any of the things they’ve said about the two you would know that. It isn’t just a hope by viewers, it is an intentional relationship planned by the writers. Mary and Fred will say the same thing. They have always played it like they love each other. Mary is just so broken, she is afraid she doesn’t deserve him. She’s afraid of permanent and afraid of loosing him because she always screws up romantic relationships. I agree that not all leads should be together, but as they said to each other in Trojan Horst, each is the other’s best friend and they truly belong together. Mary has a great heart, she just plays it all tough as a defensive device. They are enough opposites and enough the same to belong together. Them together in the end is the only fair thing for Marshall and for Mary.

• krissie says:

no need to be rude. geesh.

• Lisa says:

It’s a pity the show’s days are numbered. Literate scripts are so rare these days. I discovered this excellent series rather late (had to purchase seasons 1 & 2 on DVD). The actors are excellent. Yes, Mary should definitely end up with Marshall (and baby makes three).

• Lyn says:

I’m with Robert. I like the partnership, but not the way they have Marshall mooning over Mary all the time . . . especially now that he’s looking so pale and emaciated, like an albino praying mantis.

• laylagalise says:

LMAO! Albino praying mantis?! Crazy, but oddly perfect visual. I’m not a big shipper (will they/won’t they relationships drive me insane and I always opt for will, the faster the better), but I’d like Mary to end up with Marshall. He’s a good guy and I really don’t care for Mark.

• IPS fan says:

Why would you want Marshall to end up with Mary? You say he’s a good guy. Don’t you want him to be happy? Can you see Mary making anybody happy, especially Marshall? Mary is cranky. Marshall is a happy person. She’ll just make him miserable. Obviously she’s not going to end up with Mark. Why do you think they picked someone like him. Could you see Mary ending up with Mark? They’d quicker bring back the Provo guy or Raph than let her end up with Mark. It’s a law show not a romantic drama. Be real and stop being a shipper waiting for writers to put two lead people together. It doesn’t always have to be so. People can work together and not be a romantic couple. I wish you people would stop doing that, always craving and moaning and wanting writers to write love stories to characters when it’s not warranted.

• Jean says:

what the hell is a shipper, anyway?
          mary and marshall belong together. I’m sick to death of long suffering couples that never get
          together.

6. Carrie says:

I am really upset by this! I love this show! And a shortened season to boot! Frankly it sucks but I guess it’s better than them just leaving us hanging!

• Karen says:

I agree with you. Yesterday SyFy cancelled Eureka, and now USA has ended In Plain Sight. What is going on with cable? You are cancelling the shows that made you successful. Its enough to drive me back to network shows!

7. MJ in Michigan says:

Bummed. One of my favorite smart shows still on air. I’m not at all convinced they won’t replace it with “Smackdown of the Gator Hunting Pawn Shop Superstars” or something equally ridiculous.

• Brad says:

While it’s been a great ride, all good things come to an end. MASH did. Newhart did. Heck, the Fugitive eventually got the one-armed man.

The writers have done well so far, I hope they can figure how to land this thing :-)

ps: Good TV — Hit HULU and find other good shows that only lasted a season or three. I like “Stand-Off”. If you’ve already got Netflix – “Dead Like Me” — very well done.

8. Lori says:

I’ve enjoyed the show, Mary McCormack has been a pleasure in the role, but I agree, go while it’s still good.

• Lyn says:

Yeah, I like it — but as with so many similar shows, it’s quickly becoming so character-driven that the plots are pretty much irrelevant. I just hope they don’t totally ruin the last super-short “season” by making Mary some kind of snarky supermom. Or any kind of mom, really; that whole plot line is ludicrous.

9. Sheindie says:

It was renewed for 2 seasons last year -but now usa is shortening the season and ending a great show!!! :(

10. tj says:

You’ve got to be kidding me, one of the best shows on tv gets an 8 episode final season? First of all it should be coming back for at least 2 or 3 more years and second, how can they shorten the season? Wow whoever made that decision must be on some heavy drugs. And FYI, the show was renewed for 2 more seasons after season 3.

11. laura says:

im so sad, i love this show! and they shorten the last year?!? this sucks :(

12. Meghan says:

This makes me sad! A great show.

13. Mikaylah says:

I’m fine with 13 episode season, but 8 isn’t nearly enough. I’m sad that it will be ending. What is with networks canceling amazing shows!? First Eureka this week, and now IPS. I can’t imagine not having it be on anymore. Hope it ends well and the cast and crew go on to other great projects.

• xav says:

And? That’s the same as the information in this post. Except they’re confirming that the show won’t be picked up again.

• miss scarlet says:

they’re also confirming the season will be even SHORTER than what we all previously thought (they’ve been consistently shortening IPS seasons since season 02). I figured they’d give us one last full season, instead we’re getting a half of a season. I guess it’s nice they’re not just canceling it but like, still, this is a bummer.

• Linda says:

It’s not even a half a season….considering a full season is really 22 episodes, we usually get 12-13 and now it’s down to 8!! What can they really do in eight episodes?? I’m going to miss this show!!

• Lucas says:

there is no law that a season has to be anything, much less 22 eps. It is whatever the contract says it is.

14. frosty says:

atleast they aren’t abruptley cancelling it and giving the fans some closure. so be grateful.

• Rob J. says:

Give ‘em three more days and I bet the same bean counter overlords at USA Networks who cancelled Eureka (on USA’s sibling SyFy) will cut this all the way back to cancellation with the current run of episodes.

15. jen says:

i love this show. i dont want it to end. im glad they will have to wrap up the show on a good note, but 8 EPISODES? how is that a season?

16. miss scarlet says:

I’m bummed by this but I’ve been expecting it since they shortened season 02. This has been one of their best shows and they consistently mistreat it. They don’t advertise for it, they don’t re-run it, they cut the seasons short, they don’t give it as many episodes per season, etc…

• Meg says:

Actually, they do re-run it. It’s early in the day and 11pm Saturday evenings. USA doesn’t do obvious repeated reruns like the alpha-networks rerun all their shows, but you start picking up when the reruns are if you pay attention.

17. Lyle says:

Does this have anything to do with New Mexico’s new governor pulling back on the film incentive program? Thanks Martinez!

18. Joey says:

Guarantee that Psych will go next. This season will probably be the last Psych, unless it somehow does really well in the fall.

• laura says:

I sure hope not. It’s a great, fun show. Quite frankly, I haven’t been all that impressed eith the nee programming lately. Besides Psych, IPS and Burn Notice nothing really appeals to me anymore. Loving Franklin and Bash on TNT though…

• jules says:

Oddly, I was thinking the same thing. Heh. But I hope not. I would hate for a mostly good and funny show to end without ending a real end. I doubt USA would do that after previously announcing the end of Monk in advance as well.

19. Sheldon W. says:

That’s not nearly enough time to get Mary and Marshall together! Boo!

• Not a Marshall & Mary together fan says:

Great Sheldon. Because I would hate for them to have enough time to put Mary and Marshall together, because that would be a travesty. Sorry shipper. It shouldn’t happen and hopefully it AIN’T gonna happen. No way should Mary and Marshall end up a couple. Why you shippers seem to think so is beyond me!

20. DL says:

I’m indifferent. I really enjoyed the show the first couple of seasons, but once they got rid of Cristian de la Fuente (Raphael) and seriously reduced the presence of Lesley Ann Warren (Jinx), they lost me. For me, the family interplay was always the best part, and McCormack’s scenes with Warren (especially before her character got on the wagon) were always raw and full of emotion. Also, the storylines for Nicole Hiltz (Brandi) were way more interesting in the beginning, when we were dealing with the fallout of her ex-boyfriend’s drug dealing and the stash she grabbed.
    Things may have changed this season with the pregnancy, but the show lost me in Season 3. Still, five seasons is a very respectable run, and the cast and writers should be proud. Kudos to them.

• elf says:

Whereas I have the complete opposite opinion. I always preferred when the focus was on the job, not her personal life. I enjoyed the contrasting philosophies and approaches that Mary and Marshall brought to their jobs, the banter between the two of them and Stan. I always found the personal life stuff way too soapy and too often just shoehorned in to ensure the credited actors got screen time, but, oh well, c’est la vie.

• BT says:

Really? It’s the complete opposite for me – I think the show greatly improved when Raphael went away, Jinx’s role got cut back, and Brandi matured into a deeper character. And the best part of the show, in my opinion, was always the interplay between Mary and Marshall, with Stan, Eleanor, and Delia thrown in the mix to keep things lively.
      Season 4 was one of the best seasons yet and I hope they keep up that momentum in the final season.

• Nancy says:

Hey, BT: We enjoy this show for the same reasons! And, for me, this is one of the best shows on tv. I missed it when it was on hiatus and there were never enough episodes in the seasons. I’m sorry it’s going off the air and happy about 8 episodes to tie things up. Loving the interactions and relationships in the Marshalls office best, I would be supremely happy if they somehow got Mary and Marshall together.

• Smidnite says:

I’m still missing Todd Williams (Bobby Derchowitz) and Holly Maples (Elenore Prince, the administrator with a thing for Stan). This year Brandi seems like a different person, much less likable. This is kind of hard for me; as I never really got into Suits, and I hate the psycho football character so much that I can’t watch Necessary Roughness.

• Missing Jinx says:

I agree DL. Brandi has been reduced to a snivelling, weak version of herself, constantly crying, and there’s an absence of Jinx who, though she can get on your nerves, is an interesting character. The momentum with Mary and Raph was good too. I do miss all that, and the storyline has changed much from the first season. Having said all that, I still enjoy the show a lot, and will be sad to see it go.

21. carolinagirl says:

Not happy about this at all! This is one of the smartest and funniest ensemble casts on TV and Mary mcCormick is absoutely the best! But at least we are getting a head’s up and it should give the fans closure. Between losing this and The Closer it has not been a good time for the fans lately!

22. Jena says:

Only 8 episodes,that sucks. Add this the news that Eureka is also only getting one more season and American television is losing me.

23. ash says:

I wish they’d give us a 13 episode final season, personally. I understand wanted to end things on top but meh.

24. Marissa says:

I am sad I love this show

25. Kris Wearing says:

First Eureka, DHW’s, L&O, L&O,CI, now this? Hate reality shows!

26. AuntBee says:

To quote Gilmoe Girls, “I’m sad and I’m mad. I’m smad.” I love this show. At least it can get a decent ending.

• arlie says:

I’m with you and love the Gilmore Girl quote! They renew the uberstupid “Suits” and get rid of an actual enjoyable well acted show. I also don’t think 8 episodes can adequately rap up Mary, Marshall and Stan’s story. I love the relationship Marshall is in and I hope they leave it alone, and I liked Mary with the JAG officer. Maybe she could ride off into the sunset with him…

• GeekGirl13 says:

I was thinking the same thing Arlie. The moment that episode ended my mother and I both said they needed to keep Joel Gretch around for Mary and let Marshall and ‘Nancy Drew’ be happy. I sincerely hope as they wrap things up that that is the way it plays out. And this is coming from someone who was a Mary and Marshal shipper from early on.

27. Samantha says:

First Eureka and now In Plain Sight?! Wow, I’m really disappointed. At least Suits got picked up!

28. shaon taylor says:

I am really disappointed with this cancellation! It is such a good show and I love watching it and still feel the characters are interesting . Next year will be pretty dismal without In Plain Sight, Eureka, and The Closer. Everytime we get decent tv shows they let them go after a few seasons and we end up with more stupid reality tv. My mom watches these shows, I watch these shows and my daughter watches these shows. I think they really mess things up !!!!!

29. bucksisking says:

of course it’s time to cancel. it’s contract renewal (and therefore, raise) time. Heaven forbid TPTB not get their new Beamer this year!

30. Tna says:

Nooooooo!!!!! Not my Mary and Marshall! Best chemistry on t.v. Now it will feel rushed if they put them together. If they cancel Pysch then I’m thru with them.

31. Justin says:

While I hate that In Plain Sight is ending, too, at least we are being given warning that next season will be the last. I can at least wrap things up, although 8 episodes is really pushing it, especially for a cable show. I have watched and loved this show since the beginning, but all good things must come to an end.

32. Steven Reines says:

First Eureka and now In Plain Sight? Someone at NBC/Universal hates me.

• T says:

that’s what am afraid of, next we’ll hear that NBC cancle Office or 30 Rock. Universal really getting on my nerve!! Instead of scipted shows why not go over to Bravo and cancle al the HW??

33. Donna says:

I love Mary and Marshall please don’t end this show. It’s the only show I really look forward to watching.

34. Moviefanatic says:

I wonder if this happened because of Mary McCormicks reallife unexpected pregnancy. Maybe she wanted to spend more time with her kids.

• Lucas says:

Very possibly. She might be 100% behind this cut. But of course the fans are going to always assume that it is merely greed and stupidity by the execs. Everything is just greed and stupidity after all. That the lead might be ready for a break or the writers feel they are at the end of the story and want to go out on top could never be the answer. Nope. greed and stupidity

• JS says:

Not according to Mary McCormack on her twitter page. It has nothing to do with any of the actors. USA decided to cut it. According to Ted of USA it was cut because it had the lowest ratings.

35. Michael says:

WHAT???? That’s crazy! Only eight episode too? Oh, my God. Why? (I don’t think the ratings were subpar with USA’s average!) This is saddening. How are they supposed to wrap everything up in eight episodes? :/

36. Marie says:

This is all happening because of the changeover at NBC/Universal now Comcast. The head honchos at all the afiliated networks, like USA and Syfy, changed out and the newbies are tossing out the good older stuff so they can make room for shows they develop themselves.

Which we’ll probably hate…and what is up with these lawyer shows getting renewed? First Franklin&Bash on TNT, which is God-awful, now Suits. I’d much rather have more In Plain Sight.

• Carrie says:

That is exactly what I was thinking. The merger is going to take a lot of good older shows out.

• Chris says:

Very true. They look at the bottom line and basically say that the show has had 3-4 years to get the costs and budgets in line and typically they aren’t really there. Especially when you consider things like New Mexico basically tossing their production credits which has raised costs. So now, with the current tracking, the show really won’t be covering itself even if you bring it to LA because you have to rebuild sets, have more complex location scouting to try to somewhat match known spots AND you have actors up for renewal who will be asking for a raise (and possibly required under SAG to get one).

To the execs it’s just not worth it when you can keep the one or two shows that are making their budget and the press and start slipping in new shows with lesser known actors (thus cheaper) etc

This is after all a business.

37. Dani says:

First I lose Men of a Certain Age and now this…at least USA has the decency to give us some closure unlike TNT (who does NOT know drama).

38. lisa says:

BOOOO!!!! I love the quick wit and chemistry on this show. while I do think Mary and Marshall could make a great couple, if this show pulls a marshall, mary and baby as one happy family, i’m going to be seriously pissed. the show is too good for crap like that

• Not a Marshall & Mary together fan says:

Lisa, you shouldn’t be upset if the show “pulls a marshall, mary and baby as one happy family” crap, seeing that you actually think they could make a great couple. That is so ridiculous. You’re one of those loser shippers I guess.

39. Ethel says:

Is the number 8 USA’s lucky number? That is the same number of episodes they gave L&O:CI. If TNT cancels Leverage, my TV life will be totally ruined, losing IPS and the Closer.I realized I record very few network shows but my DVR is full of cable shows. I wish the actors the best but they are getting oh so screwed over.As are we the viewers and I am sure we will be treated to more smackdown events or stupid reality shows.grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

40. mdb says:

not surprising to me really – the show has lost much of its energy in the past two seasons. It is ok but definitely not as interesting or well written as it used to be. It has become too formulaic. I am glad we will get some closure for the characters.

41. Intelliwoman says:

This is one of the best shows around – character driven and wonderfully written. I’m disappointed, but lets at least hope we get closure on the one thread that has stayed through all the seasons – what happened to Mary’s father?

42. RUCookie says:

All this proves to me is that the same person that has made horrible programming calls at NBC has somehow found a way to “influence” those at USA (and SyFy). In Plain Sight is one of their better acted shows. Yes, many are fun. IPS was fun and rich with substance. It is a real shame.

43. Midge says:

So glad In Plain Sight will be back. But, why would they tell us now that it will be canciled after next season? I don’t understand the thinking? Wouldn’t it be better then running constant repeats of Law and Order? If I never see another LaO show it will be to soon.

44. Doug-H says:

I think the New Mexico thing might have something to do with it… It seems that Breaking Bad might have only one more season in it as well… New Mexico is certainly an interesting place to shoot TV rather than the bigger cities on the coasts but I wonder if the expense is getting in the way since the coasts have the infrastructure in place..

IPS ( and Breaking Bad) would be far less interesting shot on a Hollywood back lot…

• JS says:

Breaking Bad already announced this will be it’s last season although they get 16 eps. I’m assuming the cost has gone up for production in NM.

45. Bob says:

OK, now this is more like it. After reading that Psych somehow got a Season 6, I was starting to lose faith in NBCU/Comcast. Seems that nothing they run (SyFy Channel) ever gets past Season 5. Good to see they’re making up for the Psych mistake. So, NBCU/Comcast, did Vince McMahon come through with another WWE show???

46. Deena says:

What the hell is wrong with these TV people? This is one of the BEST shows on TV!!!!! It’s bad enough I have to wait almost a year for each season and the amount of new episodes was less and less each year, but now you’re telling me there is only going to be ONE MORE SEASON AND IT’S ONLY GOING TO BE EIGHT STINKING EPISODES? Just cancel White Collar while you’re at it and shove ice picks in my eyes so I can endure all the pain at once. I feel a migraine coming on…

47. socalgal says:

This show started out fresh and quirky. This season felt as if the main characters were not getting along behind the scenes as the discourse all season long was ‘at’ each other instead of ‘with’ each other. The soul disappeared and all the chemistry is gone. Seriously, I hope they get it back for the ending season as I like the actors/actresses although I can’t stand their new faces after all the surgeries in the off season.

48. CinephileSandra says:

While I am sad to see it go, I’d rather it go out like this then to be unexpectedly cancelled. But a shortened season?! As if you weren’t breaking my heart bad enough already USA…

49. Natalie says:

Although I’m sad to hear that the show will not be renewed for another season, I must say thank you to USA. Thank you for giving the writers/producers a heads up so they have time to come up with a storyline that will give us loyal viewers closure. Unlike ABC, investing my time on an USA show is well worth it because I won’t be left hanging. Plus, I can look forward to buying the DVD box set because there is an ending to the series! :-)