She Likes It Roughness: Callie Thorne Analyzes Dr. Dani's Love Life

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Inform Callie Thorne that fans of USA Network’s Necessary Roughness (Wednesdays at 10/9c) are starting to fall into two camps — “Team Matt” and “Team Nico” — and she beams with schoolgirl excitement. “Is there really something like that happening?!” she marvels. “Oh. My. God. I love it!”

Well yeah, sure, but which team does she herself tend to cheer for? Who is the better match for Dr. Dani — the rugged trainer for the Hawks football squad (played by Buffy alum Marc Blucas) or the enigmatic “fixer” who solves the players non-mental problems (played by Gilmore Girls vet Scott Cohen)?

Putting her alter ego’s love life on the couch, Thorne starts, “The pros for Dani being with Matt is that there is a lot of laughter, which she has been missing in her life. And with Nico, it’s the excitement and the mystery. Put together, they might make the perfect man, and that’s why I think shes attracted to both of them. They both sort of represent these two very real kind of men that would she would thrive in a relationship with.”

As for her own pick to “win,” Thorne answers with a laugh, “I’m just rooting for a relationship! I would be excited about either.”

Suits Scoop: Alicia Coppola Stirs Things Up!

Oh, but were it just two fine fellas in the sexy shrink’s life. On Wednesday, Aug. 17, a third gent will throw his hat into the ring, when Boomtown‘s Jason Gedrick begins an arc as Dr. J.D. Aldridge, Dani’s former grad school professor. Yes, ladies, this gal has got it goin’ on, and then some.

“I’ve been shooting with Jason for a little while now, and it’s been a thrill,” Thorne shares. “Beyond being frighteningly handsome, he is also very funny. We’ve had a lot of opportunity to do some comedic hi-jinks, pratfalls… stuff like that.”

But make no mistake, things will be just as steamy for these two as they are silly. “If you’re going to bring Jason Gedrick, Dani has to climb that tree,” Thorne avows. “So that’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Psych Spoiler Alert: Wedding Twists and Shocking Discoveries

Surveying the lot she has continually drawn in not-unattractive male costars, Thorne notes, “I’ve been very blessed, with the men I was surrounded by on Rescue Me, and now the men here at Necessary Roughness. It’s actually a little silly how lucky I am!”

Comments (35)

• While it didn’t start this way, I’m now 100% for Team Nico.

Comment by Lorie – August 10, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!! From the beginning I was Team Matt but now it’s Team Nico FTW!!!!

Comment by Madison – August 10, 2011 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree… Team Nico

Comment by Jenna – August 10, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am glad to know that I am not the only Team Nico out there.

Comment by Tia – August 10, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI, Matt’s a trainer (sports medicine), not a coach. Both guys are fun but I’m enjoying seeing more interaction with Nico.

Comment by Cindy – August 10, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, is this what you call a Freudian typo? In the second to the last paragraph, you have her name as Horn-e!

Comment by K2 – August 10, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very funny ;) Fixed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 10, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Dani will date Matt for awhile and then they’ll part ways as friends, leaving the path open for a Dani/Nico endgame.

Comment by Ashley – August 10, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started out as Team Matt, my sister-in-law keeps pushing Team Nico. Frankly, I don’t care. Callie is great w/ all the actors and I know I’ll love any direction it goes. Addicted to this show. The season is waay to short.

Comment by Staci – August 10, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care who Dani ends up with, either. Either one of them would be great. I love her character and this a fun show. I hope they round out the characters of her mother and children, though, because right now, I don’t like any of the three of them.

Comment by Bella – August 10, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about her ex? He seems to be looking to come back for round 2 as well. I like the show right now, I don’t want to root for a specific couple because I’ll only be disappointed when that ship sails.

Comment by D – August 10, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm. I like both men. But I must say when Nico first appeared I thought “oh, hellloo”… And my next thought was him as a love interest for Dani. I do like Matt a lot too. So, I guess I’ll be happy if Dani ends up with either of them.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 10, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of Matt and Nico, I would prefer Dani with Nico.

Comment by Moxie – August 10, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either one is just fine to me. Nico and Matt are both good guys.

Comment by Justin – August 10, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show should hook her up with both guys and see which pairing works best onscreen! Dani shouldn’t be in a rush to get into another relationship and since she has two very hot men in her life she should take advantage and have some fun.

Comment by Maddie – August 10, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! It doesn’t matter to me which guy she ends up with, but she should definitely have some fun along the way.

Comment by Beatriz – August 12, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Gedric doesn’t seem old enough to have been her old professor

Comment by DougMac – August 10, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s not forget her dalliance with another USA Net star — Matt Bomer on one of the earlier episodes of White Collar — they were smoking together!

Comment by Joann – August 10, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was fully on Team Matt, but now he’s with that icky blonde publicist… Until that’s over, I say full steam ahead for Team Nico.

Comment by Alicia – August 10, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to go with Team Nico – Matt’s so oblivious to everything that goes on around him (that doesn’t involve sports) and especially with Linda back…I’m loving this show!!

Comment by Rachel – August 10, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Blucas (and Matt), but Dani’s far better suited to Nico (intellectualy, age-wise, and I thinf time will show that they’d be a better emotional fit as well). However, I’d be happy to propose Matt/Dani/Nico…

Comment by Tarc – August 10, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico!!!!

Comment by Tna – August 10, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM NICO FTW. All the way!!!

Comment by Maddarilke – August 10, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow i’m surprised that it isn’t more split.. that being said..

Team Nico!!

Comment by rebecca a. – August 10, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico!!

Comment by EQT – August 10, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico baby!!

Comment by Jessica – August 10, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico 1000000000000000%. The chemistry between those two is just freaking electric. Not that Matt isn’t great or anything but he just pales in comparison to Nico’s awesomeness…did I mention the chemistry?! lol

Comment by Natalie – August 11, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normally I don’t go for the “team” thing, but I’ll make an exception for this show. Team Matt! I like her chemistry with Nico, but Matt is adorable and so are he and Dani together.

Comment by klc – August 12, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t normally “team”up either but GO MATT! He is wonderful! I adore him!

Comment by goddess – August 23, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a competition?

Pfft. Team Nico.

Comment by Rodi – August 23, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team NICO for me as well! I don’t see the chemistry between Matt and Dani…

Comment by apl – August 25, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this interview. CT is a hoot, and I can just imagine a devilish smirk on her face while talking about the men. As for the debate. Matt fits well into her bed but not into her family life. Where as Nico would do just splendid in either capacity. Team Nico all the way!

Comment by Sarah – August 30, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously? team nico. always.

Comment by lawrie – December 4, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico FTW! They are so good together! Crackiling chemistry!

Comment by jp – June 23, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Nico! Even though I do like both men, I prefer Nico. Team Nico :)

Comment by Silver – August 5, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post