Exclusive

Hawaii Five-0 Exclusive: Autumn Reeser Booked as Love Interest For Danny

Hawaii Five-0 is playing host to an Entourage reunion this fall, casting Autumn Reeser as a love interest for Scott Caan’s Danny.

Reeser — whose Entourage character Lizzie Grant rarely, if ever, crossed paths with Caan’s alter ego Scott — will play the potentially recurring role of Dr. Akina, the curator of a maritime museum who lends her expertise when a murder investigation takes McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) and Danny into the world of sunken treasure.

Danny is instantly smitten with the brainy and beautiful doc (how could he not be?!) and by the end of the episode the two [spoiler alert].

This marks Reeser’s first TV gig since wrapping ABC’s No Ordinary Family in the spring.

Five-0‘s second season launches Sept. 19.

1. Brian says:

Good, an excellent actress who deserves screen time!!

2. Tanya says:

I thought he got back together with his ex-wife at the end of last season?

• jennifer says:

Peter Lenkov got a lot of flack over that at the end of last season. He didn’t think people would care, even if Stan and Rachel’s marriage was over.

So I think this may be a quick fix to the problem.

• Mena says:

Yeah, I hope they fix the ex-wife/baby melodrama. The whole thing made me lose respect for Danny. My guess is that Rachel lied about being pregnant or that a bad guy was pressuring Rachel to get Danny off the island.

• eviltwit says:

Yeh. I love Autumn Reaser, too. But, I also thought he got together with his wife at the end of the last season. They got flack for that? Why?

• jbart says:

This is not watchable. I cannot believe people like it. I just do not get it. The orignal was the best you cannot remake a classic.

3. Kiki says:

Ummm… Isn’t Danny back with his PREGNANT ex-wife?

4. Mikaylah says:

Yeah, I know Rachel and Grace left the island without him because the whole team was detained, but he WAS back with Rachel who IS pregnant with his child. I don’t see Danno getting together with someone else. It seems wildly out of character.

5. jtank says:

I’m very confused. Pregnant Rachel and daughter got on the flight back to New Jersey at the end of last season, never to be seen or heard from again? This is wrong on way too many levels, particularly after they got back together. Bring Rachel back!!!

6. Cheryl says:

Hawaii 5-0 seriously need to get better writers and someone who understands the concept of storyline continuity. This show has great characters and the beauty and culture of oahu dont let it be taken down by horrible storytelling

7. juli says:

This makes me wish she was portraying Steve’s new love interest. Reeser and Caan will look weird together

8. Castiella says:

I imagine Rachel and Danny will be over my the time Autumn enters the picture. My guess? Not Danny’s baby.

I really like Autumn Reeser, but honestly, it’s really hard for me to believe that Steve and Danno are interested in anyone but each other. Their chemistry is THAT good. (Yeah, I’m a slash fan. So sue me.)

9. schmeissi says:

Interesting. What happened to the ex?

10. Mayra says:

Autumn! also curious about how they’re gonna solve the whole Rachel situation.

11. JGP says:

Danny’s best relationship is with McG, but for some reason the show is bound and determined to force a love interest on him. Apparently anyone will do. In spite of his supposed family values. Is he a cop or a Hollywood playboy? Why can’t they focus on his job with this character? He spent half of last season separated from the team attending to personal issues and vendettas. Maybe he’s on the wrong show.

• Tego Livi says:

This may end up like the original series, where every “love interest” becomes next week’s corpse. Because they can’t let anyone seriously come between Steve and Danno.

12. Gayle says:

I am now very confused!! I also thought he got back together with the pregnant ex. What are they going to do with her and Daddy’s little girl? They just need to leave the love intrests alone and focus on the team and what’s going on there and maybe on down the road they can throw gal into the mix!!

• Leigha says:

Danny moved to Hawaii to be near his daughter so why wouldn’t he move back to New Jersey to be near her now? Confusing. The whole season focused on his relationship and love for his daughter and now she’s out of the picture? Lame.

13. Csr says:

This show is so terrible with continuity of characters, character growth, plot continuity…

14. Amy says:

I love Autumn Reeser but this makes no sense plot wise. Seriously, together by episode 2?

• Kay says:

No, it says “by the end of the episode THE two…” so it only takes one episode. But it’s possible that it’s more than 2 episodes into the season (I hope that’s the case anyway).

15. Rose says:

Why on earth do the producers think we need to have “love interests” for every cast member? I watch H5-0 for the high octane drama and the “bromance” between Steve and Danny, not for every contrived relationship the PTB believe women want. We don’t!

Bring back the show we love, not the show the producers think we ought to love!

• Holly says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I watch 5-0 for the bromance and the great chemistry between the four main characters. That’s what makes the show different from everything else on TV. It seems the majority of fans feel the same way, so I’m baffled by why CBS thinks they need to radically change a good thing.

• Dee says:

Totally agree, Rose.

They should take a page out of the NCIS book. The show has been successfull exactly because they haven’t focused on the romantic entaglements of the team.

Everybody cares about them but their private lives really are secondary to the work relationships.

No romances for Steve or Danny! The bromance stuff is much more intersting anyway :P

16. Kira says:

I don’t understand the plot continuity either. Rachel was pregnant, and I was actually excited about that. I was mad that Danny let her flit of off to NJ without taking the time to discuss things. So now they’re going to 86 the pregnancy?! WTF?!

Season 1 was amazing, but all of the changes and characters they’re adding for Season 2 is making me nervous. Five-0, please don’t turn into HEROES all over again.

17. lms says:

Why are the trying to break up the bromance with love interests for Steve and Danny? Don’t they realise that the bromance is what makes this programme special?

And has Danny had a personality transplant? Going with the ex-wife whilst she’s still married (totally against character), both of them being stupid enough to get pregnant…and now a new love interest?

They have four great actors that make up Five-0…why not just concentrate on them for a while instead of watering the whole thing down with too many new characters.

• Lena120 says:

I agree! Those last few episodes where Danny and Rachel got back together I was like, “huh?” If he’s such a moral guy, why the hell would he dip into his ex-wife’s marriage? Then they added insult to injury by making her pregnant. It just seemed weird. And I thought they were bringing on some other actress to be a possible love interest for Steve as well. I can’t remember her name but I’m not too happy about that either. Does everyone need to have a side piece this season?

• les says:

They aren’t breaking up the bromance [looks like Alex&Scott are on board w it and would propably play it that way anyway], they’re adding plausible deniability for the two NOT being gay or bi. That way “regular” guys and/or homophobes won’t feel uncomfortable watching the show. I wouldn’t expect the love relationship to take up a lot of screen time, like Steve&Catherine, just enough to establish the character’s hetrosexual cred.

I hope Steve doesn’t get a new love interest because Catherine was awesome – smart and hot. Also, having a sometimes long-distance relationship allows him to spend more time w 5-O.

18. Linda says:

Does this mean that Rachel will ‘lose’ the baby?? This show has all the [b]romance it needs, there is no need to add more to it! If Steve and Danny don’t have the same bantering,bickering/relationship they had in the first season, you can kiss a lot of people goodbuy. That, and the awesomeness of the FOURSOME is what made the show!

19. Amy says:

Wasn’t the whole premise of Danny being in Hawaii that he was only there to be close to Grace? If Grace is in NJ, regardless of Danny’s relationship with Rachel, I would think he would be near his daughter. You know, once the whole bruhaha over the governor being shot and all dies down.

20. Linderella says:

Have they completely abandoned the Rachel/Danny storyline? I can’t believe Danny wouldn’t be on the next plane to NJ to be with Rachel and Grace. Is CBS going to screw up this show just like they did Criminal Minds when they fired JJ and Prentiss for one season? I’m still trying to figure out how Steve will be cleared of killing the governor! Sounds like next season is going to be a hot mess!

21. Rebecca says:

Wasn’t all of last season about Danny still being in love with Rachel anyway? Since there were always longing glances between the two pretty much every time that they were in the same space. And them getting back together and leaving for NJ was the big happy ending before everything went to hell with Steve and Kono.

Also if Rachel and Grace don’t come back, terrible writing for the character since the only reason he came to Hawaii in the first place was to be close to Grace. He would be back on that plane to NJ asap not hanging around in Hawaii with someone else.

22. Joslyn says:

You people need to calm down. She was CAST as his love interest, meaning she probably hasn’t shown up to film yet. They’re already filming the third episode, which is honestly plenty of time for them to work out and clean up the Rachel/baby mess they started at the end of the last season. I’m sure they know what they’re doing and we don’t know what is going to happen between then and now. Give the writers and Lenkov a little bit of credit before you write him off.

23. Lynn says:

Day by day, the producers of Five-0 seem to gravitate toward everything that Castle has become. In other words, a mindless primetime soap. Good luck with that, CBS.

24. s-k-s says:

How can a show with a cast this good be so bad? I tried to love it out of love for the actors, but my residual love for their former characters can only go so far.

• prish says:

How? The action. My husband has just discovered the show and loves it. Guys don’t notice the talking, just the action, so this show is a great winner in our household. I get to ignore the talking and putter around on the computer, then enjoy the action scenes with him. The best of both worlds .

25. dee says:

Just how many characters is this show adding this season? Their cast was big enough as it was.

26. Guna says:

LOL. How lame. They keep adding new people I had it in my dvr. Watched 8 episodes and deleted the rest yesterday. Seems to me they have no idea what to do with this turkey. I pass.

27. Mia says:

Well I can see this wonderful show from last season is now a soap opera. Guess I better change the channel.

28. Jaye says:

Mia, you took the words right out of my mouth. Hawaii Five 0 is now officially a damn soap opera. Unbelievable. Is there a reason the actors keep leaving this show???

29. Jaded says:

This was how they ruined Human Target and Lie To Me–they brought in new female characters to try to crank up the romance for the lead characters. It was a mistake in both of those cases, and it seems like a mistake for Hawaii 5-o. I wish they would just leave a good show alone!

30. Kelly says:

cbs made a huge mistake last year with this show. The casting was terrible. Only Scott Caan was doing a good job, but he alone could not save the show and that was why so many dumped Hawaii 50 after a few episodes. Alex is hot but the poor guy cannot act or carry a show,even if he tries, LOL. I think cbs is trying to fix this by adding a lot of new characters to the show, hoping they can help Scott Caan to keep viewers there.I think it is way too late, the harm is done.

• lou says:

I totally agree with your comment Kelly. I like Alex. The guy is hot as hell, but he is not a very good leading actor. I think Scott brings out the best in him with their interactions. I just hope they don’t ruin the show with these new characters!

• Pamela says:

I think bringing new characters and giving Scott more airtime instead of Alex O, is the only chance the show has. If there is still a chance.

• les says:

I disagree. Alex O’L. is a GOOD actor. A bad actor always seems to be playing the same character no matter what the role actually is. It’s easy to tell the difference in character between Steve and Mick St. John, Moonlight.

Alex is playing the part the way he’s directed. In the 1st few episodes, McG is stoic & blank faced because he’s suffered a huge loss and major change in his life style. In the later episodes, McG is showing more emotion, e.g., when Chin tells him his father never missed one of his footy games [what kind of idiot takes time off to watch his son play then doesn’t TELL him?].

McGarrett has spent all of his adult life in the military and feeling rejected by his father so he’s never going to be flamboyantly expressive w emotions the way Danny is. In the Steve/Danny dynamic, Alex has the part of the straight man [no pun intended] and those actors are always under appreciated – Martin and Lewis, Crosby and Hope, Abbott and Costello – because their partner has the more memorable scenes.

31. jhawk96 says:

I think they need to stop with all the new characters already & the guest stars & just concentrate on the four main ones they already have. isn’t that the point of getting quality actors – they have the ability to carry the show all by themselves. it would be nice if the PTB realized it. now if the writing could match the ability of the actors week in & week out…

32. Dee says:

Yes, agree 100%.

33. Dee says:

Agree 100% with Rose and IMS. Hawaii 5-0 is all about the bromance between Steve and Danny and the outstanding chemistry of the four main characters. I love the show for the chemistry, the action and the humor plus the beautiful scenery. I watch for those reasons, because it is different and fun. I specifically don’t watch Castle because I don’t want romance and UST. As we head into season 2, we find out Steve is getting a “female McGarrett” as a girlfriend and now Danny is getting a new love interest. Does not bode well for my action show. I’m assuming the Rachel situation will be resolved, but the whole storyline is right out of a soap opera. Please don’t ruin my favorite show by remaking it into a romance. Don’t change the focus from the Steve/Danny dynamic and the team as a whole.

34. callie says:

I agree with those who think the focus should be on Steven and Danny. I never cared for the whole D/R situation, especially throwing a pregnancy in. I do hope they find a way to keep Gracie there. I can’t image Danny staying in Hawaii without her. He is too good of father to do that. Too many characters will ruin our Fab Four!

35. art says:

This show got worse as the season wore on. It’s not on my viewing list this year. Was it me, or was the writing just awful? Decent production value, but the producers didn’t have much to work with.

• les says:

I thought the writing was awful. Plot hole city and some bad dialogue.

I love the shots of Oahu, the main actors, and the relationship between the team. I grew up watching Starsky&Hutch so team Steve/Danny feels right.

36. Cynthia S. says:

I can’t understand all these new actors coming on,now a new love interest for Danny. I love the Bromance and funny stuff between Danny and Steve,it’s great. While actress Autumn Reeser was very good in No Ordinary Family,why bring her in as a love interest while Danny’s ex-wife is pregnant with his child,as the last episode of Hawaii Five-O lend us to believe. Hawaii Five-O is going down a path that does not make sense at all. As they say if it ain’t broke why fix it. What the show needs are better writers,not tons of new actors who look like they will make it a soap opera like show no one will recognize in the end.

37. Linda E. says:

I think all the stuff with the new characters will work out ok. These people aren’t permanent additions to the show, just recurring characters. The bromance between Steve and Danny is fine for work situations, but they still need private lives away from work. I liked Catherine as Steve’s girlfriend, so I’d love to see Michelle Borth come back.
    Oh, and one more thing – it’s Alex who makes HF-0 what it is, not the constant arm-waving ranting of Scott Caan.

• DG says:

I guess we will have to wait and see how these new characters affect the show. I just don’t want them taking time away from the main cast, especially Scott. He is the main reason I watch the show. Never cared for him and Rachel. If this love interest is only recurring, that would be fine. Love Danny and he needs to be front and center if this show is going to work!

38. Amy says:

Instead of “complaining” about Danny’s love interest, why don’t we wait and see where they are heading with Danny it. I want to see Danny get full custody of Gracie and see how he handles full time job and having to take care of his child. I love the bromance between Steve and Danny. I love Steve and Catherine being together. Of all news that I have heard, I just want to see the 2 season premiere of Hawaii Five 0. I’m also glad that we get a second season.

39. Katy says:

Please stop complaining, everyone! You’ve not even SEEN the next season yet, you have NO IDEA what the circumstances/plot will be. For the love of god give it a chance and let the writers do their job and actually wait and see the outcome, rather than whining like the little babies half of you seem to be! If you still don’t like it, then so be it – but how can you complain about something when you know next to nothing about it!! And I’m pretty sure I read an interview with an EP or someone a few months back, where they said they already had a story worked out for the start season 2 when they shot the season 1 finale – they said something like, you can’t do something that big and not know how you’re gonna fix it (but probs a lot more eloquently than that!) so I have every faith that they DO know what they’re doing!

I love this show, it’s great! So I’ll be watching it. And people who don’t like or gave up – then that’s up to you. But if you don’t watch it any more than why of why do you even care? And those who DO love it as much as me and yet are complaining – wind your necks in and see what happens!

• Shaz says:

“You’ve not even SEEN the next season yet, you have NO IDEA what the circumstances/plot will be.”

But we’ve seen the first season and had some criticisms of first season (e.g. not enough Chin and Kono). The announcements that TPTB made about second season so far don’t seem to be addressing any of the major criticisms of first season. Instead they seem to be taking the things a lot of people disliked about the first season (e.g. obligatory romance plots) and, well, giving us more of it. THAT is why people are complaining. There would be much less complaints if the recent casting/story announcements showed that writers are aware of and addressing the weaknesses of first season.

40. Kathy says:

The problem is that the Producers and the Studio are putting out this information. They are the ones promoting “these love interests and female McGarrett’s” to the detriment of what make the show unique, fun and interesting. They apparently believe it will make more people want to watch the show. They apparently believed that the Danny soap opera part of the finale was ok. They shortchanged Chin and Kono’s part of the finale to give us Danny’s family drama. The problem with the show isn’t the cast…there isn’t a need to expand the cast. Good guest stars are great and I’m sure the cast appreciates the opportunity to work with good actors. There is a serious need to get producers (endless) and writers who are better than the ones that they had last season. If they spent less time on twitter and more time actually writing good material more people would watch the show. If they paid attention to continuity of the character more people would watch the show. I watch the show live …but know lots of people who DVD it so they can skip the parts that are stupid.

• Lainey says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself, Kathy! I agree with everything you stated 100+ percent.

• les says:

There may actually BE a need to expand the cast. Scott Caan, among others, has complained about the number of hours worked. Chin and Kono had equal screen time as Steve and Danny in MOST of the episodes. Probably the only way to lessen the workload on those 4 actors is to give them less screen time which means additional actors.

I thought KONO was already the female McGarrett? :)

41. Rach says:

umm…are the producers/casting directors forgetting about Rachel, Grace, and the baby on the way?

Danny just got Rachel back and their gonna have a baby soon…i don’t think he would ever risk losing them again

42. Rach says:

*they’re*
    oops. that’s what summer vacation does to you.

43. chase says:

How about giving some love to Chin and Kono? They are so underused as characters that are supposed to be part of the core 4.

44. nancy says:

I’m sure the writers can find a way around Rachel, but the whole reason Danny moved to Hawaii was to be near Grace. How will they get around that? Unless the baby is Stans and the Rachel returns to Hawaii.

45. mariem says:

Mr. Kelly, are you paid for writing nasty comments about Alex O’loughlin or It’s just a personal hate/envy. Whatever the topic, I saw your unpleasant comments in various forums. It makes me feel sick.

46. Maria says:

Hay many people hate Alex,and these are the people who take advantage of any forum/blog to say the same thing.Alex can not act and that Scott is the one who lifts the series…….I’m sick of hearing that,because that is not so,without Steve, Danno not would shine much.Danno is a vulgar character with an ex and a daughter.Hawaii 5.0 is the police story with mysteries to solve, not a soap opera.If they continue to focus on the life and work of Danno will lose a lot of audience because boring even the dead.
    Scott said in an interview that the role of Alex is much more difficult is his,that he would be unable to do.If you do not see is that you are blind.CBS was not wrong puting Alex in front of the show.Alex is a great actor, good scripts only need to prove it.As he did in the last chapter of the first season.

• Lou says:

@Maria, Danno a “vulgar” character with a wife and child? What are you smoking? The whole reason Hawaii 5-0 has a SECOND season is because of Scott Caan! So you should be grateful he is on the show. I have nothing against Alex, but he is not a “great” actor. Great actors are Al Pacino, Tom Hanks and Robert De Niro, and I’m sorry Alex does not fall into that category, not even in the same universe. I think Alex does a fairly good job, but without Scott this show would not still be on the air, and that is FACT!

47. Linda E. says:

FACT, Mr. Acting Expert? Oh thank you for setting us poor ignorant
    people straight. The fact is, your opinion is no more valid than anyone else’s.

I think some people were upset about the Rachel/Danny thing because
    they mistakenly considered Danny as the great moral compass of the
    show, compared to Steve’s more unorthodox ways. Then he disappoints
    them by fooling around with a married woman. No matter. If Rachel
    really is pregnant, the baby will probably turn out to be Stan’s,
    otherwise, the producers would not be bringing in a new love interest
    for Danny.

48. Lynn says:

I don’t know why they have to have love interests for both Steve & Danno. I grew up watching the original Hawaii 5-O with Jack Lord & James MacArthur & the original lasted 11 years & both men did not have women friends. The original was based on law enforcement & fighting crime & booking criminals. I think the new Hawaii 5-O should only be dealing with the 4 awesome crew members!

49. LisaG says:

It appears they brought back Teilor Grubbs as Grace Williams…photos from the first day of shooting show her there, but not Claire van der Boom as Rachel Williams-Edwards. So, I’m thinking she must be COMPLETELY out of the picture (meaning dead) otherwise how could she not be in Hawaii, while Grace *IS* in Hawaii? If they kill her off, say a car accident, that gets rid of Rachel and the baby and Danny would naturally take full custody of Grace. It could make for a really great heart wrenching episode IMHO.

50. LisaG says:

Oh and what happened to Catherine??? I really liked her. She and Steve made an adorable couple. Without her, how is Steve going to get free satellite and infa-red coverage for his investigations? LOL! ;)