Emmys

Emmys 2011: Who Deserves the Award for Best Reality Show Host?

Emmy Season is upon us, and with a little more than five weeks until the Sept. 18 ceremony, we here at TVLine decided it was time to find out who you’re rooting for in all the key acting and show categories. We’ll kick things off today with the race for Outstanding Reality Show Host, a category that’s only been in existence since 2008, and has been won all three times by Jeff Probst. Of course, don’t assume Survivor‘s fiesty ringleader is a shoo-in for the four-peat; he faces tough competition from American Idol‘s Ryan Seacrest and Dancing With the Stars‘ Tom Bergeron, both of whom are nominated for the fourth consecutive year (but are still seeking their first wins), as well as The Amazing Race‘s Phil Keoghan (up for the third straight year), and first-time nominee Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance).

Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every afternoon for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (144)

• Who could not think Ryan totally should win? Look, listen and watch him! He was so great this year with the younger contestants and the older ones! He even helped wipe their tears away, removed smudged lipstick, fixed their hair, their clothing the list keeps going he was there for each one of them!
    He made the audience that was present and the television audience feel completely in tune and part of a family of American Idol!
    They may be able to replace a judge, but he is unreplaceable! He’s one of a kind!
    Good Luck Ryan!

Comment by Teresa Faulkner – August 14, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat is the best host because she NEVER acts like any of it is rehearsed or written down. She acts based on what the situation is and does it with a ton of style!!!!! GO CAT GO!!!!!
    We all love you!

Comment by Mag Turple – August 14, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Phil, Jeff and Tom but in all honesty I think Cat deserves it. She shows what a true woman is with grace, poise and beauty. Plus she host a live show! Cat you are a woman to look up to <3

Comment by BethanySue77 – August 14, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat all the way!

Comment by heidi k – August 14, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat really deserves this. It’s all been said already and I agree with all of it. There’s not a more genuinely human host than Cat. You can’t fake the personality she brings to the stage for an entire night let alone an entire season.

Comment by Eric – August 14, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Cat Deely deserves the Emmy. She is witty and knowledgeable. She keeps the show flowing seamlessly, shows compassion towards the contestants, and she interacts wonderfully with the judges and contestants. She should’ve been nominated since 2008. Go Cat!

Comment by Renee – August 14, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Cat deserve to win? Because she’s not just a great host who spends all her time rehearsing and building the tension. She’s REAL. When she’s up on stage with the mic, you can tell she enjoys her job. She jokes around, throws out non sequiturs, gives her honest opinion on things (not just what writers tell her to say), and honestly cares about the people on the show she’s hosting.

Humility and sense of humor win out over robotic rehearsal for me any day. GO CAT!

Comment by Daniel Burnett – August 14, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat is simply the one. Greetings from Sweden !!

Comment by Sofia – August 14, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone loves Cat. The judges, dancers, and viewers. She is personable and does an incredible job and you can tell she looooves the show. She seems genuinely grateful to be a part of the show and she’s funny and gorgeous and hosts LIVE. I could go on and on…if she doesn’t win I will be VERY surprised. I feel like the Emmy “nominators” just realized that she existed otherwise she would’ve been nominated and winning this award every year. Hello, SYTYCD just wrapped it’s EIGHTH season!!!

Comment by Julia – August 14, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By far, Cat

Comment by Natalie – August 14, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley should win… She deserves it…

Comment by eddy – August 14, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat ALL the WAY!! She is sooo awesome and genuine.

Comment by Tracy – August 14, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat is amazing!! Sweet, believable, caring and truly enjoyable!!! I will vote for Cat every year!

Comment by Shannon rohm – August 14, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d normally avoid voting in this poll because I’d vote for my favorite show rather than my favorite host–and considering SYTYCD is the purest exhibition of talent of any reality show on TV, the result would be obvious. But Cat Deeley is such a magnificent live host that I can’t help but give her the nod. I don’t know if anyone could do better with a script than she does impromptu. All props to Probst for his performance on Survivor–his past victories have been well-deserved. But I think it’s time for Cat to get the recognition *she* deserves.

Comment by Math_Mage – August 14, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Cat Deelay should win! She hosts very well the show

Comment by Manuel – August 14, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley! She comes across as sweet, genuine and a little quirky. Love the show and her!

Comment by Grace – August 14, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is why I vote for Cat. If I could have dinner with anyone in the world I would pick her not because of beauty or charm. She seems to be very “real” not fake or some representation of of a gambot. I think she has a very promising future. Good luck CAt!!!!

Comment by Andy – August 14, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat all the way!

Comment by lshaver – August 14, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat! She’s a great host. She cares about people, she’s funny without being over the top and So You Think You Can Dance is the best reality show on TV. It’s about time!

Comment by Courtney – August 14, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Neely

Comment by D Jones – August 14, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAT all the way, she is the best host

Comment by juan – August 14, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Cat Deeley!! She is an amazing hope and she deserves it!!

Comment by Lindsey – August 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley is AMAZING! She does such a great job, she’s very quick, funny and personable. She definitely deserves the title!

Comment by Monica Reay – August 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Cat Deeley!! She is an amazing host and she deserves it!!

Comment by Lindsey – August 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley is great. SHe does seem to be a host everybody loves. I think she should get it and It’s ashame this is her first nomination

Comment by Beth – August 14, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat all the way. Screw probst…. He ‘s on survivor 100 or some crap…. Cat has been deserving of the title and goes above and beyond what any of the other nominees do as host or hostess and CAT should win….

Comment by Brandon – August 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAT CAT CAT CAY CAT! She deserves it! She is so comfortable on stage, interacts naturally with the judges and contesrants. She is beautiful, funny, and Smart! She actually makes the show better by being on it! She is Motherly to the contestants! She us by far the BEST!

Comment by Lisa Welchel – August 14, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Is the winner

Comment by Robin – August 14, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat!!! I love her!!! She is a natural, so beautiful and a great person. I’m amazed this is the first year that she is nominated. Hope she wins!!!!

Comment by Kara D – August 14, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat. Absolutely Cat Deeley. She’s sweet, funny, gorgeous and beautiful. You just can’t take your eyes off her!

Comment by Majeed Alturki – August 14, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat all the way! Does an amazing job and have liked her from the beginning. She has the WOW factor.

Comment by Ddonna Brown – August 14, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat, hmmm I’m torn. I do get annoyed by her constant, overly cute, way too precious comments about everything. IMO Cat, many times, comes off as insincere. Her commentary makes me feel as if she’s making a great effort to let everyone know how much she is on the “inside” of SYTYCD. (Cat’s the host, we all know she’s on the inside.) At other times she says strange, insensitive comments to the judges. I will say; she is beautiful, graceful, pleasant, stylish, and handles live tv’s unpredictable misshaps with aplomb. I do wish for her banter to be less…odd.

Comment by mamanance – August 14, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch Cat when I lived in England. She did a Saturday morning kids show with Ant and Dec called SMTV live and the kids loved her. It was cult viewing amongst college students too. Here’s a clip of their 100th show and you can see Victoria Beckham in the background too. :) Love Cat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPjZ67Yxuw

Comment by Jeannette – August 14, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley for the much desearved win !! The only choice !

Comment by Stan – August 14, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it will be Cat I love to watch her on so you think you dance, a show that I never miss, she has a great big heart for the contestants.

Comment by Chris – August 14, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck Cat!

Comment by deanna rocha – August 14, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat! She’s awesome and funny and cares about the contestants. PS I don’t see a poll anywhere.

Comment by Mia – August 14, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deely appears to really care about the contestants on SYTYCD. She’s more than just a tv show host, she is a friend to the people on the show. Cat is entertaining to watch, and is truly likeable. There aren’t many female hosts out there, but she beats all those men out, no question about it.

Comment by Swinz87 – August 14, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Cat Deeley to win. I wouldnt b upset if Ryan Seacrest won either.

Comment by Rhonda – August 14, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Survivor still on? The other shows all seem stale and overdone. SYTYCD has stayed fresh and is the only one really promoting arts education, all ages physical fitness and social responsibility. Cat definitely hosts with class, humor, and empathy for the contestants.

Comment by Bill Hohn – August 14, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat all the waaaayy!!!

Comment by Renata wiltse – August 14, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first year I started watching SYTYCD. I watched it one night and have been hooked ever since. I LOVE Cat. I think she is a great Host!!! She definitely should win the emmy in this category.

Comment by Sheila – August 14, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE CAT!! I don’t even know her but I love her! She’s so funny and sweet and not fake

Comment by Kimberly – August 14, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat is host who cares and Knows her contestants. She thinks and talks about them like family. She cries with them and honors them. She is the one who deserves the Emmy. We love you at our house Cat!

Comment by amy pnj – August 14, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat!!!

Comment by Katherine – August 14, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat!! She is awesome!

Comment by Melanie – August 14, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley

Comment by Thom – August 14, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat far and away is the best. Her passion for dance and care for the contestants is obvious, every year she hosts a fourth of July bbq for the contestants. It’s easier for the viewer to connect to the show as a whole because of her.
    Constantly throughout the season my sister and I commented that Cat is just so much more personable than other hosts (Ryan Seacrest) and that just makes SYTYCD so much easier to watch than it’s singing cousin.

Comment by Krista – August 14, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post