It's Official: Syfy Cancels Eureka, Scraps Plans For a Season 6

Eureka fans, do you want the bad news or the bad news first?

Syfy has both canceled the five-year-old drama series and scrapped plans to order an abbreviated sixth season. The previously-ordered fifth season will now be the show’s last.

“After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka,” the cabler said in a statement. “But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012.

Thoughts?! Are you devastated? Do you take some comfort in knowing that there’s still one more season to go? Please deposit your two cents in the comments section.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. Gwen says:

The jerks at SyFy say that Eureka is “…a series we continue to be very proud of…” Just not proud enough to keep it going.

2. Lilia says:

Why don’t they cancel Alpha instead….I am not really into it and I am sure I am not the only person that finds it painful..versus Eureka hooked me effortlessly. It sucks that they are canceling this show, it has great writing and I love the leads. The only thing that keeps me going now is being human and Warehouse 13 on Syfy …Don’t screw this up any more that you already have SYFY

• Justin says:

Alphas is a great show. You just don’t know what you’re missing. It has great characters and writing, too. I hate that Eureka is getting the axe too soon as well, but its not because of Alphas.

• John says:

I was surprised to find that I enjoyed Alphas, too. Not so much the first episode, but since then I’ve looked forward to it. Thinking about it, I’m enjoying all SyFy’s original programming… – John

• jj says:

Alphas has been…. uneven, to put it nicely. i’m not giving up on it quite yet but it doesn’t quite seem like they’ve figured out their universe quite yet. I really like the character of the autistic kid, but Malik Yoba is being wasted (plus his alpha gift isn’t that cool). I didn’t understand why they called the one girl’s gift synesthesia- did they even look up what it means? And I know that we’re supposed to be rooting for their to be a romance between the girl who pushes people (why does she remind me of an escort- oh bc she reminds me of the companion from Firefly)and the new guy, but i don’t see much chemistry there. It’s the writing mostly i think. Like i said, not giving up on it bc I love shows with people with superpowers, but it’s gotta get better and more focused quickly or else it’s not going to get enough of an audience to satisfy the idiots at SyFy

3. Jena says:

I was originally up when I heard they were canceling and would only have 6 more episodes (for season 6). But then I calmed down and I was okay because I thought at least they would get to wrap it up after season 5 airs. Now I hear that there would be NO season 6 wrap up. And I’ve got to say ….SyFy you suck. Your station stopped being interesting a long time ago. This is another reason I neither have cable nor do I have satellite. I now spend my time watching foreign shows and reading.

4. Mel says:

This is a very sad day :( Eureka was the first show I really watched on SyFy. They are making a big mistake!

5. JHarnes says:

Truth: SciFi Channel is not the SyFy Channel.

When you think of all the great episodes, series, special movies and fun that made the SciFi channel special it is very obvious the channel’s owners are looking to produce cheap programs just to fill space. This is what the owners want. Stupid cheap monster of the week movies and shows and Wrestling. I’m surprised they haven’t added roller derby and …. Well, there reality shows are grrrr. Just watch an episode of Legend Quest without laughing.

I wish one of those evil billionaires out there would try to save their soul and create a real science fiction and fantasy network. HBO has shown with Game of Thrones good programing counts. Well, until that happens at least we have HBO!

6. Brynna says:

Super upset. Eureka is one of the best shows out there. It’s funny and imaginative and I can’t believe it’s just going to end. I hope the writers are scrambling through the final script of season five and tying up everything into a nice neat bow. If this all ends with no real conclusion I’m going to be devastated.

7. Karen says:

SyFy = Poo.

8. Freddy says:

Smackdown is not wrestling, its sports entertainment. Two totally different things ;-)

9. Michelle says:

I can’t believe Syfy did this. I’m wondering if I should get too invested into Warehouse 13, or it too will get canceled. What were those airheads thinking? Syfy, you suck!

10. Kat says:

This sucks- there aren’t any other good science fiction shows around! SyFy – you let me down.

11. Brynna says:

sign the twitition. Let’s save this amazing show.

12. Denise says:

Translation: It was gettign too expensive to produce than the reality shows. Not Cool – scifi

13. Dee says:

Devastated! Eureka is such a querky, sweet, endearing and intelligent show with a great cast and spirit. I will miss it.

14. Dee says:

Devastated! Eureka is such a quirky, sweet, endearing and intelligent show with a great cast and spirit. I will miss it.

15. jennifer says:

I can’t believe it, Syfy must be looking for new fake ghost shows. Eureka was the best and Alphas is not that great. Syfy is ruining their own channel.

16. Paul says:

There is now a gap in the market for a Sci-fi Channel since SyFy is now obviously totally failing to fill its original remit, hopefully someone will step into this gap and give viewers quality science fiction shows old and new rasther then the cooking/ghosthunting reality crap currently being served up on SyFy.

17. Christine says:

The biggest problem I have with this (and I have MANY problems with this) is the way SyFy handled it.
    Four days ago when these exact rumors started they made statement after statement touting the 6 ep Season 6, and how much they hoped to continue after that.
    Then four days later in a statement made in the very late night it was all gone.
    So now we, as viewers of the SyFy channel are left to see that in the eyes of TPTB we are just non-entities, we do not matter and we are not held in high enough regard to be told the truth.

18. linseyyyy says:

How stupid… They need to take away those stupid WWE shows and leave our shows alone! It’s syfy, not Smackdown time. I hope this doesn’t happen to Haven.

19. Liz says:

When I saw the first article about this on EW last night I was in total shock. It is completely ridiculous that SyFy (a completely ridiculous name) to cancel one of their highest rated shows, especially only a few days after announcing the likelihood of a 6th season. I’m ashamed of them, acting worse than the politicians–at least when they flip flop they wait more than 3 days to change their minds. Its so sickening.

20. abbyrose says:

this is too bad – eureka is a smart and fun show. but I think it lost a lot of it’s momentum with it’s bizarre schedule. it feels like it was off the air for so long, I kinda forgot about it….

Plus, now that allison and carter are together, I think maybe the show has kind of run it’s course. I’m OK with the cancellation as long as it’s a satisfying conclusion.

21. Chad says:

I love Eureka! I agree with the others that say 6 episodes may not be enough to wrap up this show. Too many things have happened to put a neat little bow on this series in 6 episodes. I do worry about my other faves, Warehouse 13 and Haven. I’m not liking the direction that Syfy seems to be taking.

22. Sam says:

WHat the heck is going on with these idiots. One… I hate reality shows… they SUCK. Who needs to watch someone elses _(*&_)P(U. I want to be entertained and taken away from all of that. I feel that they are dumbing down everything. They seem to think that the public just wants mind numbing drivel and can’t handle great content and writing that has any intel. to it. Please, lets do something to save EUREKA. What can we do to change their minds? Lets take back SYFY. Write to sponsors, everyone boycott the whole channel for a week or more. Get them in the pocket book. We want our SCI-FI BACK!!!!!!!

• Julie says:

True, that! Aren’t we surrounded by enough “reality?” Science fiction is an escape from our own reality (at least until our science catches up with their fiction!). I don’t need someone else’s reality — I’ve got enough of my own, thank you.

23. syfyisajoke says:

Maybe the series will end with the geniuses at Eureka sending the execs at Syfy to Titan and stranding them there. Oh wait, no more new episodes to figure out how to save you guys…

So I guess I should start saying my goodbyes to Warehouse 13. At the rate SyFy goes, they have 2 seasons left.

24. Susan says:

Here’s my 2 cents worth: Eureka is by far the best show on SYFY and one of the best on TV. It got us to come over to the SYFY channel to watch shows. It’s entertaining and alot of fun -great cast! We are extremely disappointed in the cancellation.

25. murley says:

this is sad news. i love this show and i hope that losing those last 6 episodes won’t cheat them out of a proper ending. another one bites the dust.

26. Project103 says:

Just call the Syfy channel the Fox Channel! since they love to cancel good shows, like farscape and Eureka! OH well! I guess they’ll fill the open time slot, with some stupid reality show! Great job Syfy channel, for cutting a great Syfy show like Eureka!!!

27. squeegie says:

Eureka is one of my favorite shows. Good, clean entertainment. Hopefully SyFy will add another show just as good, or better.

28. Nicole says:

Syfy sucks!! Eureka is my favorite show! It is fun inventive and intelligent, how could they do this??

29. Sarah says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SYFY No longer means Science fiction….WWE is only fiction and all those STUPID ghost shows…after Eureka goes away I will no longer watch syfy channel.

30. Kelly says:

Eureka is my favorite Scifi/Syfy show and one of the best shows period. I am disappointed in comcast/syfy for cancelling it and not allowing at least the final six episodes so they could have planned out an ending instead of them doing quick rewrites now so the fifth season can have a finale. And Allison/Carter, Zane/Jo and the whole town better have a happy ending.

31. JAO says:

Eureka is a great show. This season is really interesting. I hate the stupid ghost hunters and WWE. Programming for the a—— of the masses.

32. Rachel says:

Maybe another network can pick it up. USA & TNT seem to do well with original programming. (Plus I’d love to see Shawn and Gus meet Fargo.) The crossovers with Warehouse 13 would have to stop (until that, too, is cancelled and can join Eureka on said speculative other network).

33. Vanny says:

Syfy really needs to change their name again, so something not resembling or sounding like Scifi – they don’t deserve the name. They should just let WWE take it over as their own channel. Someone else, please open up a new channel and give Scifi fans what they deserve. some respect! As for this bad news, I actually feel like crying. This is about the only decent scifi show left. Warehouse 13’s overacting is ridiculous, Falling Skies is downright boring… and so are the others. Eureka is about the only show i enjoy nowadays. And leave it to good Old Syfy to cancel it. Without any explanation?

34. Nicole says:

I’m not shocked, but I am upset. What do you expect from a network that takes over a year to start a new season??? They have been messing with Eureka for a while now. I’m surprised it actually took this long to cancel it. Sanctuary is next on “SyFy’s” list.

35. Bob says:

Too much Science Fiction loses out again at SyFy! What did you expect from the collective braintrust that is Comcast/NBCU? I’m guessing Alphas is doing well enough that they want to put the Eureka money behind that show instead of keeping everyone around for only six episodes. Expect the typical, never-gonna-happen “We’ll let them wrap it all up in a two-hour movie” statement any minute now.

36. Girish says:

This is one of the worst news ever. I was just getting into Eureka. Watched 2 whole seasons in the last month and I really liked it! I was looking forward to watch season 5 as it aired. Now I think I’ll stop watching even Alphas, which is pretty good and I don’t want to get my heart broken after they cancel it when they realize cheaper wrestling can be aired in its place. And I think Sanctuary will be next on their list of great-shows-to-cancel. Attract all the pervs and brainless morons you want through those wrestling and fake, crappy ghost shows SyFy! Now I have only 2 reasons to watch SyFy – Sanctuary & Alphas and then I’m done with this channel!

37. chip says:

I guess Syfy just wants to perpetuate a non thinking list of viewers.
    To remove eureka while you buy ghost hunting and other programing geared to a 10 year old is just, well hard to understand. I won’t watch or suport the stuff that seems to be what you really want to show, Ghosts and fools looking for non existant crap what a waist. I like so many others are disapointed and waiting to see when you pull the plug on Warehouse 13 and Haven as well. Even Alphas can’t stand up to the inteligence of Eureka. Ths makes me wish for a network that actually wasa devoted to good and quality Syfy programing and not largly an insult to my inteligance. seems like syfy has not interest in my kind of viewer.

38. Beatrice Blanshaw says:

Another good show taking off the air what’s wrong with you people.

39. Adam says:

I was very disappointed by this news. . I’ve been looking forward to new episodes of Eureka since I started getting caught up on old ones at DISHOnline.com. That’s where my TV provider/employer hosts thousands of movies and TV shows to watch On Demand. I was really getting into the series and now it’s going to be canceled. The statement from Syfy mentioned the coming episodes will be some of the best. If the show is just getting better, why cancel it? I hope they reconsider or at least make some TV movies like they did to help wrap up Stargate.

40. Fransman says:

I love Eureka! But as usual when a show is actually worth watching, it gets cancelled. I will not be watching SyFy anymore. The reality shows, wrestling, and some of the other shows on the SyFy channel are horrible.

41. Julie says:

I’ve loved Eureka (it’s smart, funny and user-friendly), and I’ve enjoyed Warehouse 13 (although I’d be happy if they’d rename it The Artie and Claudia Show and dispense with “secret service agents” who act like 12-year-olds) and Haven (that show is getting nice and twisty!) tho I think SciFi (Syfy — really?!) is getting a discount by using WWE wrestlers in their shows. Not that Edge isn’t nice to look at, but c’mon! And how many more “monster” movies and ghost series can SciFi make since they’re running out of monsters (they’ll have to be creating dino-shark hybrids soon) and fake “ghost” effects! Eureka was brilliant, original programming with excellent plotlines and characters you wanted as friends. Hey, the cast was on the production crew — talk about all-in! Can’t say the same for Alphas — the characters just don’t appeal — and Being Human is a cheap knock-off of the original BBC version. Eureka is truly a worthwhile show, and “siffy” is letting down it’s entire viewing audience.

42. Alice says:

I am devastated. Eureka was one of the best shows on SyFy. Never missed it. It got a bit off track when they did the time travel and changed everything around, but it was still good.

Guess they need some more room for some more ghost hunting or some stupid paranormal show. Are these kinds of things cheaper than the real shows. Is that why they are filling the network with boring, junk shows?

43. Joe Turner says:

Syfy sucks, and has ruined my night once again!

44. Rick says:

I’ve like Science Fiction since I was kid, I was grateful when SyFy came to be but lately every time I get in to a show it last a few seasons then puff its gone, look for Warehouse 13 to be next, I am surprise Sanctuary has lasted as long as it has lol SGU was picking up steam when they canceled it right when it was getting really good, STA had a couple more seasons easy,So far there’s nothing for me to watch on SyFy other than the occasional movie, I am so tired of the freaking reality shows I could scream, And what the hell is up with Wrestling on a SciFi venue channel LOL obviously its making them money so lets plop that down in there (its like putting a drama series on the cartoon channel) just doesn’t fit.

My 2 cents

45. luis aponte says:

All I can say is “what in the hell is those running the Syfy channel thinking”???

46. Torch The Ender says:

I don’t think the cancellation of a TV show has ever made me sad before. No really… Im ACTUALLY depressed about this. Consequently Im suing Syfy for emotional damages and using the money to restart the show. :D FU Syfy. Just FU. Frakin Arseholes.

47. Patar says:

I think that the decision to stop eureka was one of the dumbest ideas scifi channel has ever had it is a truly unique show and they probably won’t get smart and just start it back up

48. Char says:

I don’t even want to watch the last shows. What makes their marketing department figure that a Syfy person would be interested in WWE.

49. Danny Wit says:

I thought this channel is called SYFY for a reason, yet all they show is wrestling and reality shows. They probably forgot that there is a channel called MTV and they also forgot, THAT THEY HAVE VIEWERS TO PLEASE!!!! Since your called SYFY, maybe you should cancell wrestling and reality shows so you have the money for decent science fictions show, you *%#@&$* @#$&^% @&$*^%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** YOU!!! I HOPE YOU REALIZE THIS IS WHAT MAKES YOU SUCK, SYFY!!!!!!!!!!!

50. Danny Wit says:

Besides, who is going to watch Ghost Hunters if it’s on the Science FICTION channel.